• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge demo coming Oct 30 PSN/Oct 31 XboxLive

Tieno

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Game looks and controls better than I'd imagined. It definitely gets a boost in intensity over traditional 3rd person platformers, because everything feels so... immediate, for the lack of a better word. Almost like a mix of Metroid Prime and Riddick. Just wish the demo gave you a bigger playground. Lighting and animation are top-notch.

Most importantly, the demo level is well-designed enough so that pulling off cool moves and getting where you need to go isn't cumbersome, it's actually pretty fun to experiment with wall jumps and climbing and vaulting and such.

As for the people complaining about aliasing, how close do you guys sit to your TVs? I didn't notice any blatant jaggies at all (360 version on 37" 720p).

As someone who wasn't totally sold on the concept I'm kind of a believer now... still, I doubt I'll find time to play it this fall.
Yep, I agree, it's very intense platforming which makes it exhilarating. This is also because of the combo of first person view and the sound design. You don't only see everything from a first person view but also hear. Her breathing, her steps, her sliding, everything. It's all very close.

Tieno said:
Yep, I agree, it's very intense platforming which makes it exhilarating. This is also because of the combo of first person view and the sound design. You don't only see everything from a first person view but also hear. Her breathing, her steps, her sliding, everything. It's all very close.

The two best examples of this in the demo are the shimmying along the edge, and the tightrope walking. In most 3rd person games you just hold the stick against the wall and your character waddles on over. Here, you actually have the sensation of looking down and seeing your virtual feet just inches from imminent death SO far down, and all the nervousness and vertigo that goes along with it. Obviously, I took these parts slowly the first time through.

Snaku

Banned
Got my best time on the first area last night in time trial mode: 1:04. I know I could have done better, but I was getting so tired I kept fucking up running up and jumping off walls. :lol

Dever

Banned
Amazing demo, and the time trials make it even more awesome. Got 3 stars on the playground. My time was 1:30 for a long time, and it was great knowing I was completely missing some massive shortcut in the level. :D It's unbelievable that someone still got my time beat by 11 seconds, I have no idea how that's achieved.

Day 1, I hope.

The game does look superb, I really like the nice little touches- for example while hanging from any ledge you can look down to the left or to the right and she will let go with one of her hands to get a better view...really making the camera dangle. Sweet.

The combat system is kind of a letdown though. Seems extremely repetitive, I was hoping for more kung-fu action and weapons that don't shoot like water guns.

Still on the fence between buying/renting.

Greg

Sho_Nuff82 said:
The two best examples of this in the demo are the shimmying along the edge, and the tightrope walking. In most 3rd person games you just hold the stick against the wall and your character waddles on over. Here, you actually have the sensation of looking down and seeing your virtual feet just inches from imminent death SO far down, and all the nervousness and vertigo that goes along with it. Obviously, I took these parts slowly the first time through.
That's weird because I think I yawned at that point in the game.

You're telling me this girl can run on walls and jump a few stories down into a roll... but she can't move faster than a snail while shimmying across a ledge?

Greg said:
That's weird because I think I yawned at that point in the game.

You're telling me this girl can run on walls and jump a few stories down into a roll... but she can't move faster than a snail while shimmying across a ledge?

Uhh, yeah dude.

I didn't really mind this part of the game either way, and the tightrope walking just reminded me of Uncharted.

tehbear

Entertaining demo. Anything that can channel the GITS PS2 game wins in my book because I loved the 3D platforming in that game.

I am also plenty surprised I didn't get sick at all playing the game.

JavaMava

I feel tight rope walking slows the game down. The rest is on your toes keep the skill keep the speed platforming, then you hit a tight rope that is next to impossible to fail and grinds it to a halt.

So far away from a big issue, but still annoyed me.

Maybe if we could go as fast as we wanted, the faster you go the more precise you need to be with balance.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm wondering if the tightropes are dumbed down for the demo.
I remember a lot of previews talked about how hard they were, and there was that video of the guy giving the demo for EA and he kept falling off it.

StuBurns

Banned
JavaMava said:
I feel tight rope walking slows the game down. The rest is on your toes keep the skill keep the speed platforming, then you hit a tight rope that is next to impossible to fail and grinds it to a halt.

So far away from a big issue, but still annoyed me.

Maybe if we could go as fast as we wanted, the faster you go the more precise you need to be with balance.
Well you can jump onto it, at least halving the time.

I do agree that does really break the flow, when I'm most enjoying it, is when I've not slowed down for a while, and these always kill that feeling.

datamage

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
I wish I could do the time trials!!!!! I wanna play more, but having to go through all the story stuff repeatedly is driving me nuts.

You do know that you can skip the intro + the tutorial, right?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jtwo said:
I'm wondering if the tightropes are dumbed down for the demo.
I remember a lot of previews talked about how hard they were, and there was that video of the guy giving the demo for EA and he kept falling off it.

I can do the ropes with the analog stick, but not with the motion sensor... accelerometers suck for precise/smooth/non-jittery rotation sensing :(.

NameIess

Anyone able to get hard unlocked on the PS3 demo?
I completed the story on both normal & easy, but hard is not selectable...

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Ezenzer said:
And it also allows you to race against ghosts, your own and others on the leaderboards.
Oh ok, that's more like it.

Awesome demo btw, everything I expected albeit a bit short. And Celeste needs to learn how to cast a shadow.

Snaku

Banned
Ezenzer said:
And it also allows you to race against ghosts, your own and others on the leaderboards.

Which is super awesome. Christ, I know I'm gonna be addicted to this game for months. D:

Ezenzer said:
All three of them.

No wait, there are only two that actually get in your way and can have some kind of effect on your time.

The character model for the other girl was TERRIBLE. He face looked all weird and really flat.

But the rest of the demo was amazing. I love the controls, and the world. Its really an amazing game. Finally something different done in FP.

Miburou

I'm torn over which version to get. The 360 looks cleaner on my TV (both 1080p through HDMI), but I like the DS3 controller better.

we all know UE3 is going to be the de facto middleware of this gen, i just hope epic decides, once and for all, to do something for hair rendered by its engine.

celeste's hair looks like shit.

°°ToMmY°° said:
we all know UE3 is going to be the de facto middleware of this gen, i just hope epic decides, once and for all, to do something for hair rendered by its engine.

celeste's hair looks like shit.

It is down to the artists and coders to make the call as to what they feel they can get away with. They could also create a shader to get the hair sheen better but that is more in the dev hands not the engine hands. Hair is hard to do no matter what the engine and I can't think of a single game that does it particularily well.

Warm Machine said:
It is down to the artists and coders to make the call as to what they feel they can get away with. They could also create a shader to get the hair sheen better but that is more in the dev hands not the engine hands. Hair is hard to do no matter what the engine and I can't think of a single game that does it particularily well.

i know, but celeste's hair is just some polys with the usual normal mapped texture on it. there are some games with good hair, not excelllent, but at least better than the ones in UE3 games.

Ten-Song

°°ToMmY°° said:
i know, but celeste's hair is just some polys with the usual normal mapped texture on it. there are some games with good hair, not excelllent, but at least better than the ones in UE3 games.

Yeah, well there's also a lot of non-UE3 games with bad hair. The engine isn't to blame for that.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Warm Machine said:

Uncharted ?

commariodore64 said:
Actually they prove that the 360 version has AA & some obvious additional ambient radiosity. I'm not picking to pick - I like to weigh the facts.

Again - you (and your grasp of the English Languages grammatical rules & spelling) are a fine example. Your logic is impeccable.
I'm certain you are a self starting hard worker...

As for Robin Hood - I personally like to donate money & help people out - it's my choice.
But if you feel you would rather make it mandatory - that's fine - leave the country that is founded on FREEDOM...

Awesome.... you result in personal attacks when your argument is proven to hold no wait, just like Mcaine. Now I can see why your voting for him.

I'm pretty positive that you have no idea what "ambient radiosity" means, let alone the gall to say one has more than the other. By the way, the "lighting" looks off on the 360(I used a simpler term since your brain maybe hurting thinking up that last one)And the jaggies seem slightly less prevalent on the 360, but that could be just the difference in the way that the two systems display images. Both might not have any anti-aliasing.

I sincerely hope that the upper eschalon of charities you donate to bear fruit for the less fortunate......then again with you and your presidential pic's ideals they could well be fortune 500 companies, and we all know that they need the money!

If you had any real knowledge you would know that freedom is a state of mind, If I had true freedom I could finally run around naked out side rubbing jello all over myself singing "We are Family" but unfortunately there are repercussions for such acts of embellishment. That's because we have such things as "law". Guidelines for ways we beings are supposed to act and behave......not true freedom. But law is not such a bad thing, because it restricts nut-cakes like you to voicing your opinion over the Internet instead of going out in public and leading a band rebel rousers to certain doom. I for one think people need to be steered in the right direction, and Mcaine - and certainly not Palin, just aren't the ones to do it!

With that - have a nice life....:D

Snaku

Banned
4yzcy92.gif

The running and opening doors, jumping, sliding are fun. But the character models, cutscenes are ugly as are the animations. Celeste? Or whatever her name is looked pretty bad and the cut off tank top was *yuck*.

I may buy it because the game is fun to play, but I have no interest in the story or characters.

Miburou

I'm going to pick this game up if only because it feels fresh and I'd like to see more games like it.

I noticed that before entering the ventilation shaft that the lighting when moving your POV horizontally had some really bad dithering on the 360 which was not present on the PS3 one. So although the 360 one has a cleaner look, it's not cut-and-dried which one ultimately looks better.

GhaleonEB

The game seems to be one long series of trial and error jumps. I love the visual style in the game (the opening animation was garbage), but the core gameplay feels pretty restrictive and wasn't at all entertaining. The whole thing feels like a giant QTE.

Was interested before, deleted the demo and have no plans to look back now. Yuck.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
The game seems to be one long series of trial and error jumps. I love the visual style in the game (the opening animation was garbage), but the core gameplay feels pretty restrictive and wasn't at all entertaining. The whole thing feels like a giant QTE.

Was interested before, deleted the demo and have no plans to look back now. Yuck.
I can understand someone not wanting to play the game because they're unwilling to memorise and master a level (I am, it's the same reason I loved Mega Man 9 so much), but saying the game plays like a giant QTE is ridiculous. Wash your fucking mouth, it must feel dirty, what with the spewing of all that shit.

Top Bottom