• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge demo coming Oct 30 PSN/Oct 31 XboxLive

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mdk7 said:
i played the demo like 15 times, i'm so loving it.
I wish i could find a time trial code now. :/
I PLAYED 16 TIMES! PICK ME! :lol

Snaku

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
The whole thing feels like a giant QTE.

dude-wait-what.jpg

Ten-Song

GhaleonEB said:
The game seems to be one long series of trial and error jumps. I love the visual style in the game (the opening animation was garbage), but the core gameplay feels pretty restrictive and wasn't at all entertaining. The whole thing feels like a giant QTE.

Was interested before, deleted the demo and have no plans to look back now. Yuck.

Hmm, guess it depends on the person, but I found the game to be really free form. I've played the demo about five times now, and I keep trying to tinker with just slightly more different ways to get across the level, as well as trying to keep the flow of speed going the entire time.

Saying it's a giant QTE kind of smells of hyperbole.

Grecco

Incredible game still love the animatrixy intro. I really want a time trial code now ive played the demo soooo many times including the tutorial part. Nov 11 cant come soon enough. I hope some retailers sell this early :lol

GhaleonEB said:
The game seems to be one long series of trial and error jumps. I love the visual style in the game (the opening animation was garbage), but the core gameplay feels pretty restrictive and wasn't at all entertaining. The whole thing feels like a giant QTE.

Was interested before, deleted the demo and have no plans to look back now. Yuck.
otq0dl.gif

Station42

hey kids I'm playing this on a ps3 in SD and i notice LOTS of v-sync problems! Am I the only one? does anyone know If that is the case on 360 aswell? I silver user otherwise I'd check myself.

KISSES AND HUGS!

Slavik81

GhaleonEB said:

You should download the demo and play it again. You can skip the tutorial and go straight to the actual gameplay.

On the roof it's pretty open. They widen the tracks for a bit while you try to reach a single fixed objective. Sometimes they will tighten it up, like when you drop into the corridor, but that's them purposefully restricting your movement so you feel more in danger.

You and I don't even sound like we're talking about the same game.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I keep playing the demo :lol This game is absurdly fun. Just recommended the demo to a few of my friends gamertags.

Tieno

GhaleonEB said:

Huh? What do you mean with QTE? That it's automated? cause I don't see how it's that since a simple wallrun requires more timing and precision than in other games. Especially with the concept of momentum. Sometimes I almost think it's like a fighting game, with the timing, precision and buttons you have to press to keep momentum and clear obstacles in a graceful way.
I've gone countless times through the demo and there are always multiple options to take. Runnervision is a guide/hint system, you can turn it off if you want and just go as you please.

GhaleonEB said:

Not to attack you, but this reads like someone who didn't even play the game. It's one thing not to find the game to be entertaining, but to say it's restrictive and a giant QTE literally makes no sense. *mind boggles*

Wow...

Wow.

"This game's gameplay is just a giant QTE where you press buttons at the appropriate times to perform actions in order to progress toward a goal! And it doesn't even do anything to warn you a QTE to jump is coming up when you run toward the edge of a building! Broken!"

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Guys, especially those of us who have played the demo dozens of times:

I may have found a way to sequence break or proceed without proceeding during training. Gets past Celeste and explore the training area, which is pretty big from what I've done so far, without the failure screen and reset occurring.

Testing it out to see if I can reproduce it (exploring a bit first) and then I'll spill the beans.

Though I have been banned so if anything like this is old news sorry. :p

Stillmatic

Barkley's Justice said:
what's the verdict here? the ps3 is jagged and tears? i cant make out whats going on cause no one is sharing their sys specs

I've played the demo (PS3) around 15 times and haven't seen a single tear (played in 720p and 1080i). There's no AA, on my screen it doesn't look that jaggy though.

Barkley's Justice said:
what's the verdict here? the ps3 is jagged and tears? i cant make out whats going on cause no one is sharing their sys specs
Negative, I haven't noticed any screen tearing and there is very minimal jaggies. I was unable to tell when the game is in motion...But it could be different for everyone?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Barkley's Justice said:

The game is fine on PS3 (a little bit more aliasing than the Xbox 30's version), some people are experiencing a little bit too much tearing when playing the game in SD resolution.

Only minor graphical problem that detracts a bit from the over-all experience is the fact that other NPC's, like Celeste, do not cast a shadow (except on themselves) and that kinda makes them appearing floating a bit on surfaces rather than interacting directly with them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
SnakeXs said:
Guys, especially those of us who have played the demo dozens of times:

I may have found a way to sequence break or proceed without proceeding during training. Gets past Celeste and explore the training area, which is pretty big from what I've done so far, without the failure screen and reset occurring.

Testing it out to see if I can reproduce it (exploring a bit first) and then I'll spill the beans.

Though I have been banned so if anything like this is old news sorry. :p
I did the same thing just past the part where you swing from the rail, climb the pipe and have to climb around. I managed to climb up and run right by Celeste (it was the part where it shows you how to do a L1/LB (wall), R1/RB, L1/LB jump). I'm not sure how I did it and haven't been able to reproduce it.

I can't remember which version I was playing.

I also somehow managed to get the game to bring up a weird debug-ish code screen that took up roughly hald the screen whenever I pressed R2, L2 or any of the D-Pad buttons. Not sure what the problem was, but it did it everywhere and I had to reboot the demo.

Panajev2001a said:
The game is fine on PS3 (a little bit more aliasing than the Xbox 30's version), some people are experiencing a little bit too much tearing when playing the game in SD resolution.

Only minor graphical problem that detracts a bit from the over-all experience is the fact that other NPC's, like Celeste, do not cast a shadow (except on themselves) and that kinda makes them appearing floating a bit on surfaces rather than interacting directly with them.

Yes, I knew something was strange...I know Faith casts a shadow obviously but didn't even realize that Celeste was not. I really hope it's addressed with the final version, but I doubt it since it's 2 weeks away and probably compiled by now.

Dever

Banned
Barkley's Justice said:

At this point it's pretty much confirmed that 360 has less AA than Ps3 but it looks better because of the way it outputs video when you have McCain avatar on GAF but as a sideffect it makes the ambient radiosity un-radden to complete non-radatity levels and causes a narrower state of mind restricting the freedom in the game making it more linear(almost like a QTE) and the ps3 version has been discovered to be only 719.5p which causes horrible cases of nausea to most people and makes babies cry so if you have children buy the 360 version and get a McCain avatar

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think the game is the opposite of a QTE. If it were a QTE, any of the moves that required skill--skill roles, precision jumps, combat, etc.-- would be handled by the computer with you just pressing random buttons correlating to onscreen actions. Everything in this game is up to you. Everything.

I like not having my hand held in this demo...sure, it feels best when you finally find your route, but it's a lot of fun just to experiment.

Different strokes!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Yes, I knew something was strange...I know Faith casts a shadow obviously but didn't even realize that Celeste was not. I really hope it's addressed with the final version, but I doubt it since it's 2 weeks away and probably compiled by now.
The demo has a few very infrequently occuring bugs here and there. I get the impression that it's probably a slightly updated version of the E3 build, so it might not be indicative of the final game.

SnakeXs

Rez>You said:
I did the same thing just past the part where you swing from the rail, climb the pipe and have to climb around. I managed to climb up and run right by Celeste (it was the part where it shows you how to do a L1/LB (wall), R1/RB, L1/LB jump). I'm not sure how I did it and haven't been able to reproduce it.

I can't remember which version I was playing.

I also somehow managed to get the game to bring up a weird debug-ish code screen that took up roughly hald the screen whenever I pressed R2, L2 or any of the D-Pad buttons. Not sure what the problem was, but it did it everywhere and I had to reboot the demo.

I did it right before that. Right after you walk across the pipe, where she's about to show you how to swing across climb the pipe. I wall ran and hooked up to the left of her, and bam, freedom.

It's one fucking shot, though, you fuck it up, you watch her do her thing, and you're locked up.

I did get one snapshot to show I was somewhere you normally can't get though.

photo108f39e4.jpg

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dever said:
At this point it's pretty much confirmed that 360 has less AA than Ps3 but it looks better because of the way it outputs video when you have McCain avatar on GAF but as a sideffect it makes the ambient radiosity un-radden to complete non-radatity levels and causes a narrower state of mind restricting the freedom in the game making it more linear(almost like a QTE) and the ps3 version has been discovered to be only 719.5p which causes horrible cases of nausea to most people and makes babies cry so if you have children buy the 360 version and get a McCain avatar
:lol

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
lol i thought it was a giant QTE since i saw the first vid, played the demo, its kinda is and it isnt.... cant explain it, is what it is.

Im probly gonna skip it, it looks nice, recon it would have been cooler as a third person game.

Ok, so now that I'm buying this, is there any word on how long the story mode is? And after that's finished, is there only time trials to keep working on, or will there be other stuff too?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
lol i thought it was a giant QTE since i saw the first vid, played the demo, its kinda is and it isnt.... cant explain it, is what it is.

Im probly gonna skip it, it looks nice, recon it would have been cooler as a third person game.
I just don't understand the want for a third person perspective. The game would lose SO MUCH of what makes it great.

SnakeXs

BAM, did it again.

Yeus.

photo109af664.jpg

I very much think this is deserving of a time trial code. :lol

Rez>You said:
The demo has a few very infrequently occuring bugs here and there. I get the impression that it's probably a slightly updated version of the E3 build, so it might not be indicative of the final game.

Yes this is true...I didn't think of it being the possible E3 build, this would be a nice, refreshing squeeze. The game looks simply amazing to my eyes and thats all that matters.

First person in this game is hands down THE WAY TO GO, this would be an assassins creed clone if it were third person IMO...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Killa Sasa said:
Ok, so now that I'm buying this, is there any word on how long the story mode is? And after that's finished, is there only time trials to keep working on, or will there be other stuff too?
I would like to know this too. My only worry for the game at this point is length.

AZ Greg

"giant QTE"

:lol

Rez>You said:
I just don't understand the want for a third person perspective. The game would lose SO MUCH of what makes it great.

Agreed. Plus, if you want something similar in third-person you can always grab Crackdown or Assassin's Creed.

Killa Sasa said:

I've heard anywhere from 6 hours to 10 hours. Let's hope for the latter. I would be somewhat disappointed if this was a very short experience...

:( :(

I cant stop playing the demo, it controls surprisingly well. I thought there would be a learning curve, but there isnt, its really smooth. Platforming is one of my favorite genres and Mirrors Edge is amazing at making every jump have feeling and accomplishment.

Llyranor

This time trial video blew my mind (which spoils the shortcuts in the demo, I guess). There's just so many shortcuts I didn't even notice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U4p4Lx6GeY

This has me more pumped about the game. Time trials should be fun. I'll be trying to figure out as many shortcuts on my own as I can, avoiding ghosts or videos from now on.

And how is that a QTE? Really?

CowJoMonkey_927 said:
I cant stop playing the demo, it controls surprisingly well. I thought there would be a learning curve, but there isnt, its really smooth. Platforming is one of my favorite genres and Mirrors Edge is amazing at making every jump have feeling and accomplishment.
Yea I just love the feeling of successfully breaking my fall with a sick roll only to recover and wall jump to reach a higher destination. Man this game is AWESOME I just can't stress it enough!

Holy smokes. Just finished my first play through. Color me impressed. I've never played a game that was able to replicate that adrenaline feeling you get when you're near the edge of a tall platform. I still can't believe it! So crazy.

I wasn't planning on getting the game but now I really would like to. Ugh, I've got to find a way to scrounge up some more money :/

Ten-Song

AZ Greg said:
Agreed. Plus, if you want something similar in third-person you can always grab Crackdown or Assassin's Creed.

That's again where I think the first person perspective means a lot to the game. I enjoyed the running and jumping in both of those games a lot, but I never really felt a strong sense of speed or urgency with either, even when I had a hundred or so guards chasing me in AC.

Glix

LOVED the demo!

I can see how time trials and races are going to be AMAZING. Tons of tiny little things you can do, to get an extra millisecond here and there.

I thought the controls were excellent and the grapical style was great as well.

The decision to go first person was the correct one, as it really draws you in, and makes it much more visceral, than it would be in third person.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Why do you HAVE to be online to do the time trials? Can't I just record a time and not send it in to the leaderboards. :S (My HDTV is too far away from my computer)

i'm pretty sure ghaleon's giant QTE thing stems from people (like myself) calling Heavy Rain a glorified QTE... sorry, i should've clarified this like 50 posts ago

Fantastical said:
Why do you HAVE to be online to do the time trials? Can't I just record a time and not send it in to the leaderboards. :S (My HDTV is too far away from my computer)

Because Time Trials can only be accessed if you have a pre order code. And the way they verify your code is by connecting you online each time you play Time Trials in the demo.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Holy shit, this game went from looking good to me buying it day one.

Holy crap, what a great demo and a unique game.

Top Bottom