• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge demo coming Oct 30 PSN/Oct 31 XboxLive

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How are you all calling this a giant QTE? There are no QTEs in the demo. Since when did timing jumps and attacks / counters become a QTE? I guess Mario and every fighting game out there just a bunch of massive QTEs too. Perhaps it is the fact that the game is fully 3D and in a first-person perspective that gives people the "QTE-feeling". My American Xbox Live account isn't gold, so I only got a chance to try the demo on a friend's PS3 on a SDTV. I played through the demo twice and I am now definitely interested in it. It feels very fresh, because there really hasn't been a Free Running or first-person perspective platforming game before this.

The game looked great on the PS3 in SD and the jaggies weren't very apparent (I'm sure they are in HD on a big screen), but the screen tearing was absolutely awful. It seriously looked like screen tearing was occuring almost 100% of the demo. Any time I looked around or moved to the left and right the screen would tear until I stopped moving. It seemed that only when I was running in a straight line that there would be no screen tearing. Is it like this in HD resolutions or on the Xbox 360? They really need to clean that up before release.

Otherwise, the game was a lot of fun. I think it is bullshit that they lock out the time-trials to anyone who hasn't pre-ordered the game. The whole point of a demo is to get people interested in the game and locking out certain features will just piss people off.

Zefah said:
How are you all calling this a giant QTE? There are no QTEs in the demo. Since when did timing jumps and attacks / counters become a QTE? I guess Mario and every fighting game out there just a bunch of massive QTEs too. Perhaps it is the fact that the game is fully 3D and in a first-person perspective that gives people the "QTE-feeling". My American Xbox Live account isn't gold, so I only got a chance to try the demo on a friend's PS3 on a SDTV. I played through the demo twice and I am now definitely interested in it. It feels very fresh, because there really hasn't been a Free Running or first-person perspective platforming game before this.

The game looked great on the PS3 in SD and the jaggies weren't very apparent (I'm sure they are in HD on a big screen), but the screen tearing was absolutely awful. It seriously looked like screen tearing was occuring almost 100% of the demo. Any time I looked around or moved to the left and right the screen would tear until I stopped moving. It seemed that only when I was running in a straight line that there would be no screen tearing. Is it like this in HD resolutions or on the Xbox 360? They really need to clean that up before release.

Otherwise, the game was a lot of fun. I think it is bullshit that they lock out the time-trials to anyone who hasn't pre-ordered the game. The whole point of a demo is to get people interested in the game and locking out certain features will just piss people off.

No screen tearing at all in HD on the PS3 version.

TuxBobble

Slavik81 said:
You should download the demo and play it again. You can skip the tutorial and go straight to the actual gameplay.

On the roof it's pretty open. They widen the tracks for a bit while you try to reach a single fixed objective. Sometimes they will tighten it up, like when you drop into the corridor, but that's them purposefully restricting your movement so you feel more in danger.

You and I don't even sound like we're talking about the same game.

To be honest, I agree with the other guy about the QTE remark. Though it's not technically a QTE, it feels similar to it... I don't feel like the game is particularly open. It might be in the final version, but it doesn't seem to be here in the demo.

It's a matter of going over a fence or climbing a wall to jump over the fence instead, in the demo. I still have it on my hard drive and will be playing it again, but in the meantime I'm kind of skeptical about it.

Finally, I really REALLY don't like the visuals of your own hands as you're dangling from ledges, etc. Plus the other girl in the tutorial. In some ways she was very well-rendered, but on other ways the graphics just seemed sort of...splotchy. Not sure if I could come up with a better word for it than that.

Granted, the game could still be fantastic, but I'm just not convinced yet...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
SolidSnakex said:
Because Time Trials can only be accessed if you have a pre order code. And the way they verify your code is by connecting you online each time you play Time Trials in the demo.
Oh, I must have missed that. I don't have it preordered anyways. Thanks.

TuxBobble said:
To be honest, I agree with the other guy about the QTE remark. Though it's not technically a QTE, it feels similar to it... I don't feel like the game is particularly open. It might be in the final version, but it doesn't seem to be here in the demo.

It's a matter of going over a fence or climbing a wall to jump over the fence instead, in the demo. I still have it on my hard drive and will be playing it again, but in the meantime I'm kind of skeptical about it.

What does that have to do with being QTE? QTE are automatic events that you have no control over other than hitting a button that flashes on the screen. With ME, you always have control of Faith. Whaty ou just described can be said about many of peoples favorite 2D platform games. They were largely based on going fromA to B but you had different ways that you could get there.

Llyranor

TuxBobble said:

Compare this to how you played the demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U4p4Lx6GeY (warning: shortcuts are spoiled). It's not GTA, but it's not a straight line, either.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I will say I hope the later levels wind up being more open, letting you get there different ways. There was some of that towards the end of the first level, but not a ton.

I just DL'ed this and have played through it 3 straight times.

I would love if there was a sandbox game with these sort of mechanics.

i could really care less how many ways there... when in reality there is only one way, the fastest way. the fastest way in only as open as your reflexs are up to challenge to hoping and jumping over stuff at the right time. there will only be multiple ways until we all figure out the fastest way and then we figure out the fastest way to traverse the fastest way.

the depth of this game is going to be fucking nuts.

Agyar

I hate to be a begger but after playing through this demo four times, I would eat five crunchy chicks for a time trial code, if anyone happens to have a spare.

EXGN

That clip was pretty cool. I don't have a time trial code, but I figured out some of that stuff on my own. I'm a sucker for time attacks, so I can see myself playing this a lot. Just seeing little secret paths like that is real cool.

LM4sure

Banned
Yes, there is screen tearing on the PS3 demo. I noticed it, and I usually don't notice these type of things. Pretty obvious I thought.

Cool game though. I liked the demo. I think it might get old after a while, and the fight system seems kind of weak. The disarms are cool, but I didn't like the feel of shooting a gun.

so what's up with the time trial code? is it tied to my EA account or something?

i didn't have to enter any code at all on 360, because i entered the code on PS3?

LM4sure said:
Cool game though. I liked the demo. I think it might get old after a while, and the fight system seems kind of weak. The disarms are cool, but I didn't like the feel of shooting a gun.
disarm a guy, take his gun, run towards two guys on another rooftop, hit the slow motion button and slide button at the same time, slide forward in slow motion while shooting at guys on other rooftop ARGH IT'S SO AWESOME

Mike Works said:
disarm a guy, take his gun, run towards two guys on another rooftop, hit the slow motion button and slide button at the same time, slide forward in slow motion while shooting at guys on other rooftop ARGH IT'S SO AWESOME

Exactly. I've kept playing the one part of the demo with the cops just to slow down and try to Matrix the second one after taking the gun from the first.

Slavik81

Ten-Song said:
That's again where I think the first person perspective means a lot to the game. I enjoyed the running and jumping in both of those games a lot, but I never really felt a strong sense of speed or urgency with either, even when I had a hundred or so guards chasing me in AC.
I'd be tempted to say that in Assassins' Creed it never felt urgent because the guards were about as dangerous as string cheese.

Slavik81 said:
I'd be tempted to say that in Assassins' Creed it never felt urgent because the guards were about as dangerous as string cheese.

I think in AC you don't feel an urgency because you know the moves are automatic and so you don't have to worry about failing on jumps.

StuBurns

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I think in AC you don't feel an urgency because you know the moves are automatic and so you don't have to worry about failing on jumps.
I disagree, I think it never felt urgent because you knew there were no repercussions for messing up. It doesn't matter how many enemies attack you, they always come one at a time, and you can always beat them all.

I found it interesting that by dropping to a grasp on the ledge of a building, I could shimmy around a barbed wire fence and get over to an area on a ledge you don't normally go to. Nothing was over there, but it's probably where they'll hide a collectible in the final game.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Mike Works said:
ok well i only have a PS3 and i've been playing this demo religiously and i've seen screen tearing, so i don't know what to tell you
If you have lots of friends on your PSN signing off and on or giving you other notifications and he doesn't, it's actually possible you could both be right.

Slavik81

stuburns said:
The fact is, the jaggies are there no matter what, it is the rendering, if you can't see them it's because of the TV, but it's not a good thing. There are no jaggies on SDTVs because they don't have the fidelity to display them.

Direct feed from the box has jaggies, if you can't see them on your TV it's actually a BAD thing.
That's not true. There was atrocious aliasing in the PS3 version on my 27" SDTV.

StuBurns

Banned
We kind of came to the conclusion the screentear is an exclusive bonus feature for those who are fighting off the HD revolution.

Slavik81 said:
That's not true. There was atrocious aliasing in the PS3 version on my 27" SDTV.
Post a pic.

Slavik81

stuburns said:
Post a pic.
However, it should be really, really obvious if you just start it up and skip past the opening movie. Don't touch the controller even a bit. Your character gently sways slightly and it will make the aliasing clear. For example, the fence post on your right will get wider and thinner just due to the slight movement of your character.

I don't have a camera with a high enough resolution to properly show it. Maybe I'll go try anyways.

Slavik81

There are worse parts than this in terms of how apparent the aliasing is, but I don't have time for that. I didn't touch the controller at all and took a few pictures.

Now, these are incredibly blurry pictures, so please keep in mind that for you to see aliasing in them, it has to be really bad. Appologies for my shitty camera and terrible photography.

Her hands are probably the worst offenders. They're more curved than the environment and tend to be more aliased.

Picture 1

Also, the game could really use some supersampling to help prevent objects from disappearing. At that starting point, some of the floors of the skyscraper in the background merge together as your character sways in her 'standing' position.

Picture 2

Picture 3

StuBurns

Banned
Thanks for providing pics, but I actually can't see any aliasing whatsoever.

In fact, I can't see anything. Why does your TV have those blocky lines on it?

Slavik81

stuburns said:
Thanks for providing pics, but I actually can't see any aliasing whatsoever.

In fact, I can't see anything. Why does your TV have those blocky lines on it?
It's not visible by eye. Probably something to do with taking pictures of an interlaced image.

This demo is sitting on my HDD and I haven't installed it yet. If I like the demo, I'll rent it for sure.

Whats the general impression of this game thus far?

Slavik81

domokunrox said:
This demo is sitting on my HDD and I haven't installed it yet. If I like the demo, I'll rent it for sure.

Whats the general impression of this game thus far?
Very favourable.
Not perfect, but quite good and very different..

ram

Mike Works said:
ok well i only have a PS3 and i've been playing this demo religiously and i've seen screen tearing, so i don't know what to tell you

buy a hd-tv? seriously, played the demo about 20 times and didnt see any screen-tearing.

Incredible game! Played it several times on PS3 and Xbox360

And I'm so undecided which one to get.
Yes the xbox version looks nicer, but didn't seem so smooth(framerate) as the PS3.
The ps3 controller is much better though for this game.

Also the PS3 version has 7.1 sound while the xbox360 versions is just 5.1 dolby digital.
The PS3 version did sound better, much cleaner then the x360 version.
Can someone check this out? because everyone is talking about graphics but none of sound.

PS3:
+a little bit smoother framerate
+Better sound
+Better controller

-no AA

Xbox360:
+less jaggies
+better color ambience

*sound still good, but overpowered bass?

-Oversaturated, orange is not orange but more Yellow(although you can fix it with ingame video setting)
-controller sucks
-texture pop-in? (at the start with electronic arts /dice titles)
-NOISY XBOX360!!! (omg, isn't there a silent xbox?)

StuBurns

Banned
ram said:
buy a hd-tv? seriously, played the demo about 20 times and didnt see any screen-tearing.
I know people who actually prefer SD, I don't understand why myself, but still, they shouldn't be punished for their choice of television.

This game is incredible...If you told me 15 years ago what the future of videogames looks like, I would've picked a game like this to show.

I think it's fantastic, and just need to decide whether I'm buying for my 360 or PS3.

bengraven

Little_Donkey said:
Incredible game! Played it several times on PS3 and Xbox360

And I'm so undecided which one to get.
Yes the xbox version looks nicer, but didn't seem so smooth(framerate) as the PS3.
The ps3 controller is much better though for this game.

Also the PS3 version has 7.1 sound while the xbox360 versions is just 5.1 dolby digital.
The PS3 version did sound better, much cleaner then the x360 version.
Can someone check this out? because everyone is talking about graphics but none of sound.

PS3:
+a little bit smoother framerate
+Better sound
+Better controller

-no AA

Xbox360:
+less jaggies
+better color ambience

*sound still good, but overpowered bass?

-Oversaturated, orange is not orange but more Yellow(although you can fix it with ingame video setting)
-controller sucks
-texture pop-in? (at the start with electronic arts /dice titles)
-NOISY XBOX360!!! (omg, isn't there a silent xbox?)

Undecided? You're obviously a Sony fan, get the PS3 version.

well not really, I'm just a gamer but I do like the PS3 more.

But with multiplatform games I always buy the best version(assasin's creed and bioshock on x360)

Top Bottom