• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge to be PS3 timed exclusive according to David Reeves, need Deutsch GAF

dionysus

Yaldog
szaromir said:
I am interested to see how Sony fans react to this.

Sony fan multi-console owner. I could give a shit about exclusive DLC for a multiplatform game. Why not let everyone play the DLC? I don't begrudge other people the enjoyment I am also having.
Then again, I also want the 1 console future for this reason as well.

So Sony finally jumps on the exclusive DLC wagon... I kinda hate that but since I only have a PS3 and the 360 keeps getting exclusive DLC for most of the other games I guess this the next best thing for me.

:S

Steroyd

szaromir said:
I am interested to see how Sony fans react to this.

Best. News. Ever, I was like OMG I never even batted an eyelid at this game until the exclusive DLC was announced, now it's fucking day 1 baby.

The GTA IV DLC? I couldn't give a shit, though it's totally different from Mirrors Edge because I don't own the console, exclusive DLC sucks ass.

Slamo said:
Never

GTA4!?!?!?!?!?

Exactly, we don't even know what that is! Microsoft made a big fuss about it, we can assume it didn't sell many extra copies of the game? and 5 months later we don't know what it is?

It's not a bundle, it's a pack-in.

Amazon.de also lists "bundles" with FIFA09, SingStar, MotorStrom+Uncharted, F1+Motorstorm, GTA4, or MGS4.

I wonder if this will really be DLC or just unlockable content already on the disc because BR allowed for it. It wouldn't be the first time EA has done this.

thuway

I love how some 360 fans are crying bloody murder about the PS3 version getting exclusive DLC. Its like Fallout 3 and GTAIV never happened.

nofi

thuway said:
I love how some 360 fans are crying bloody murder about the PS3 version getting exclusive DLC. Its like Fallout 3 and GTAIV never happened.

Do you have 360 fans in your head?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BeeDog said:
Exclusive DLC is probably the most stupid thing this gen.

FirewalkR

I hate the concept of exclusive DLC. It's like the developers/publishers pick one market segment and say to them "Fuck you!".

diss

Banned
I'd rather they trade exclusive DLC amongst each other than make whole games exclusive, or timed exclusives.

Steroyd

Justin Dailey said:
Seriously? A Euro bundle for Mirror's Edge?

Is there any buzz for this in the casual non-message-board crowd?

There's a casual non-message board? How does that work?

Besides this whole jumping buildings thing is quite popular in Europe, I know of some people who do it in Britain.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
WrikaWrek said:
Suddenly exclusive DLC matters.
To who? I could care less and I have both systems. It's stupid. I thought it was stupid before I got a 360 and it's stupid that MSFT started this to begin with. NEVER SEGMENT YOUR USERBASE WITH DLC. It's so dumb to buy something like GTA4 for PS3 and see the other system get relevant DLC with added story.

Timber

Yeah exclusive DLC is terrible in any situation. I wish games journalists would pester developers more on shitty decisions like this...

Journo: "Why did you decide to not release the DLC on Platform X?"
Dev: *beats round the bush, spews corporate bullshit he was instructed to*
Journo: "But don't you think it's a slap in the face to many of your fans?"
Dev: "Oh... Oh wow, I've never looked at it like that. Thanks for the eye-opener... we have been screwing people over without hesitation! Time to turn our life around, free DLC for everyone!"

My fantasy world is so much better than the real one :(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Rapping Granny said:
Exclusive DLC is dumbest thing to come out of this generation.

Pretty much. It's the bottom of the barrel type of exclusivity. I don't know why Microsoft or Sony bother.

The co-marketing agreement is actually a bigger deal (and it's not that big of a deal to start with).

WrikaWrek

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
To who? I could care less and I have both systems. It's stupid. I thought it was stupid before I got a 360 and it's stupid that MSFT started this to begin with. NEVER SEGMENT YOUR USERBASE WITH DLC. It's so dumb to buy something like GTA4 for PS3 and see the other system get relevant DLC with added story.

It's not dumb no. It's as dumb as exclusives.

If you are a multiplatform owner, you surelly won't care, if you are a single platform owner you will care, maybe one day you will care enough to buy the other platform. Far from dumb.

Or are you one of those, every game should be available in every platform, peace and love, kind of guys. It's a business.

WrikaWrek said:
It's not dumb no. It's as dumb as exclusives.

If you are a multiplatform owner, you surelly won't care, if you are a single platform owner you will care, maybe one day you will care enough to buy the other platform. Far from dumb.

Or are you one of those, every game should be available in every platform, peace and love, kind of guys. It's a business.
Care enough about exclusive downloadable content to buy the other console? Are you high? So long as it affects me, exclusive DLC is stupid.

Hell it's so stupid that I don't even believe this announcement.

thuway

Son of Godzilla said:
Care enough about exclusive downloadable content to buy the other console? Are you high? So long as it affects me, exclusive DLC is stupid.

Hell it's so stupid that I don't even believe this announcement.

UH OH- I feel a meltdown coming. Signal the alarm boys! Grab your hard hats! :lol

Jtyettis said:
Bu, bu, but, I thought Reeves said the game was exclusive. Hahaha.

Only to people who can't read or only read what they want to see.

Again his exact quote that got became the victim of shitty reporting was:

"“We are continuously, month after month publish new titles that bring something unique and different target groups. In a month, it is Gran Turismo, in the next SingStar, as well as Third-Party Title as mirrors Edge by Electronic Arts are part of this strategy. “"

It's a good deal for Sony when it comes to convincing people who own both systems to buy the game on theirs. Live + achievements currently outweight what's on the PS3 (if we assume you've already paid for Live), stuff like this swings it back in their favour. It certainly makes sense for them to approach EA to do it.

As a 360 only owner, I'm hurt, but not yet crying.

Busty

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
As a 360 only owner, I'm hurt, but not yet crying.

2ztegj4.gif

Umm, whatever I guess. I was planning on buying this on PS3, so I guess I'm happy. I don't really know what the DLC could be, but I guess its cool.

I think the only reason Sony is doing this is to get multiplatform owners to buy the PS3 version so for that ONCE in the PS3's lifespan they can put out a press release saying that a game sold better on PS3 then 360.

Steroyd said:
Best. News. Ever, I was like OMG I never even batted an eyelid at this game until the exclusive DLC was announced, now it's fucking day 1 baby.

The GTA IV DLC? I couldn't give a shit, though it's totally different from Mirrors Edge because I don't own the console, exclusive DLC sucks ass.

Kinda like the installing games.
"OMG soo dumb, now you have to buy a bigger hdd, etc"
"OMG we can install games nao!! Im going to buy a bigger HDD!!!!!!@"

I hate both

WrikaWrek

Banned
Lion Heart said:
Kinda like the installing games.
"OMG soo dumb, now you have to buy a bigger hdd, etc"
"OMG we can install games nao!! Im going to buy a bigger HDD!!!!!!@"

I hate both

I think it was always about Optional Installs vs No option. :D