• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Missouri collegiate Football team starts strike over racism at school

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forming mobs, harassing people off the property, demanding that journalists not be allowed to do their jobs, screaming and shouting in people's faces, forcing people to lose their jobs over being told that other people have freedom of speech too and going after their family members, literally threatening people with violence....

These people, and the idea that they should be the future leaders of the US, is frightening and shameful, and I'm as liberal and progressive as they come.

These people do not represent freedom, equality and intelligence, nor will I stand with them.

Slayven

I like cute pictures of puppies. But Reddit, is a horrible place , their front page, on these issues are sickening.. I cant tell a difference from the racist comments i see at the bottom of news stories and reddit anymore..

gah..

A place that fought to have a forum called "Coontown" doesn't have the best discussion on race? I am shocked.....

FyreWulff

Forming mobs

that's a strange way to say "forming a protest"

harassing people off the property

I haven't seen any of this, but the protesters have had CONSTANT harassment and threats from people that aren't even officially part of the school

demanding that journalists not be allowed to do their jobs

lol, journalists don't get special rights and can't cross protest lines just like anyone else. Once again, the first amendment applies to the GOVERNMENT inhibiting the speech or press from operating.

forcing people to lose their jobs

The president's job is to take care of the students. He failed. The students are paying his wage, he answers to them.

These people, and the idea that they should be the future leaders of the US, is frightening and shameful, and I'm as liberal and progressive as they come.

These people do not represent freedom, equality and intelligence, nor will I stand with them.

I'm sure they're going to miss having the support of brogressives.

TS-08

Today I learned that the University of Missouri, the state's flagship school, is not a public university.

Edit- Also, it is arguable that the professor at the end of the video did violate the First Amendment (and maybe other laws) by directing students to physically remove him from a public space for trying to do his job as a photojournalist.

lol, journalists don't get special rights and can't cross protest lines just like anyone else. Once again, the first amendment applies to the GOVERNMENT inhibiting the speech or press from operating.
Wanting access to a public space is asking for special rights? I didn't know that it's acceptable to physically bar people from entering public areas.

lol, no such things as "protest lines". The protest is occurring in a public space and the journalist has access to it like any one else. Creating a "safe space" is not an opportunity to harass those with dissenting opinions and exclude whatever elements of society you deem undesirable.

But apparently protesters do have special rights to block a homecoming parade whenever they feel like it.

Xcellere

that's a strange way to say "forming a protest"

I haven't seen any of this, but the protesters have had CONSTANT harassment and threats from people that aren't even officially part of the school

The president's job is to take care of the students. He failed. The students are paying his wage, he answers to them.

I'm sure they're going to miss having the support of brogressives.

But somehow the protestors have the right to restrict access to public property to anyone they deem unworthy to access it? And even if the protestors have been harassed, that gives them zero right to harass others.

The protestors have a valid claim in denouncing racism, but the mob mentality shown in that video won't do them any favors in bringing help to their cause. They want fair treatment for themselves but apparently all too eager to deny it to others.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I'm so glad I'm out of college now. As what I would admit to be a "bleeding heart" liberal, this stuff disgusts me to no end. People are taking up their personal causes and implementing selfish fascism and mob mentality than actually thinking rationally about anything here.

The professor of mass media at the end of that video literally called for "muscle" to get a guy out of there. This is bat shit insane.

I guess 2015 campus liberals are the new 1990s religious right. They've literally become what they hated

Forming mobs, harassing people off the property, demanding that journalists not be allowed to do their jobs, screaming and shouting in people's faces, forcing people to lose their jobs over being told that other people have freedom of speech too and going after their family members, literally threatening people with violence....

But but punching up something something systematic oppression something something racism something something white people something something. Let's be honest. They don't give a shit about those things being bad. They are quite happy to turn around and do the same behaviors they decry to anyone who they don't like. This isn't about equality, this is 1984 / Animal Farm style shenanigans.

Apparently the first amendment is less important than self-segregated safe spaces.

Apparently the first amendment is less important than self-segregated safe spaces.

Didn't know the government blocked those journalists.

I have no clue how in a country with Don Lemon and Fox News, with constant media attacks on black activists and BLM, how people can be surprised that folks don't want the media near them.

Yeah I think they are afraid of the question "what are school administrators supposed to do about racism" instead of "do something".

Zornack

I have no clue how in a country with Don Lemon and Fox News, with constant media attacks on black activists and BLM, how people can be surprised that folks don't want the media near them.

"The media," are we still talking about a student reporter here? This is the same irrational fear of information that is displayed by the far right.

Bellamin

When people use the blanket term "media," they assume every journalist belongs to the same hierarchy. A reporter from Vice is not going to be the same reporter that Fox News gives you. The majority of newspaper journalists work for small town organizations and cover small but locally important things, like how city governments are spending your money. But good job stereotyping us anyway. Appreciate it.

Don't want the media near you? Don't assemble in public spaces which everyone has a right to access.

Zornack

Hell yeah it can apply to student reporters too. I've seen just as much journalistic equivalent to shitposting via student reporters representing the university itself as much as mainstream.

If your fear of "the media" is so strong that you advocate blocking a student journalist from documenting an event at his school through photography then your fear is irrational and misplaced.

That Richard Nixon parody Twitter account actually had some good thoughts on current college stuff. College students today are terrible at using the media to better control their message. They keep turning the media away from them. The media should be properly hated in private, but should be better used to turn public opinion.

College people need to brush on political tactics some more (though the football team specifically was very savvy).

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Don't want the media near you? Don't assemble in public spaces which everyone has a right to access.

This.

I also love the thinly veiled racial shot at the Asian photographer by calling him part of the white media. Nothing like people protesting systematic racism promptly being racist themselves to complete the circle.

Also - Mizzou is a public university. The professor blocking him is a government employee.

That Richard Nixon parody Twitter account actually had some good thoughts on current college stuff. College students today are terrible at using the media to better control their message. They keep turning the media away from them. The media should be properly hated in private, but should be better used to turn public opinion.

College people need to brush on political tactics some more (though the football team specifically was very savvy).
I mean, in their defense, college students are inexperienced young adults, and in this case, upset as well. So likely we have inexperience, anger, distrust, resentment and hurt all at play. Yet at the same time, you would think that kids who grew up in a media saturated world would better understand some of the basics of media interaction and pushing your cause.

TS-08

The person asking for muscle is a professor at the school, which is a public university, so she is definitely "the government" in her capacity as an employee of the school. Whether or not she was a state actor at that moment is potentially debatable, but the fact she is a professor and on campus is enough for me to say this does implicate First Amendment concerns and she has more of a duty not to react how she did than maybe the students do.

params7

Banned
The Professor in question does research on 50 Shades Of Gray readers, and Lady Gaga's fans. Anyone know if she publishes her work?

Wow. You're really going down the road of defending obvious violations of the 1st Amendment in a public space? That's kinda disgusting.

TS-08

If it was a concert/speech in a public space, would you have the same "right" to be wherever you wanted? Or rules?

Reasonable time, place and manner restrictions are allowed on public space, but they have to be put in place and enforced by people with the authority to enforce them. I am not aware that the protesters did anything to secure these restrictions with respect to the quad, and I'm sure the random collection of protesters blocking journalists and trying to force them to leave have no authority to do so.

See first picture:
https://twitter.com/nonorganical

Looks like the protesters have backtracked and decided to let media in after all. So I hope those defending the protesters before appropriately eats crow. Just because a movement is righteous doesn't mean that mob mentality doesn't occur...this was a good learning moment.

Xcellere

If it was a concert/speech in a public space, would you have the same "right" to be wherever you wanted? Or rules?

You really don't know what you're talking about. A concert where you pay for admission is considered private property, thus access can be restricted to patrons only. Conversely, a concert on public property could be restricted to paying patrons only if the organizers had the proper paperwork.

See first picture:
https://twitter.com/nonorganical

Looks like the protesters have backtracked and decided to let media in after all. So I hope those defending the protesters before appropriately eats crow. Just because a movement is righteous doesn't mean that mob mentality doesn't occur...this was a good learning moment.

Other teachable moment, the guy didn't villify said "mob" in the least bit, and knew that the focus on the end goal.

So should you.

FyreWulff

People apparently have never heard of sit ins, shutdowns, and other forms of protest. Coffee shop activists need to be aware that not every method of protest is nice and tidy.

You've also seen to have forgotten that "student journalists" with cameras have been used to photograph targets for the FBI, and was especially used as a method to target black activists as well. Some of the press seem to forget history and their limitations.

Bellamin

People apparently have never heard of sit ins, shutdowns, and other forms of protest. Coffee shop activists need to be aware that not every method of protest is nice and tidy.

You've also seen to have forgotten that "student journalists" with cameras have been used to photograph targets for the FBI, and was especially used as a method to target black activists as well. Some of the press seem to forget history and their limitations.

No citizen can tell or force another citizen to leave a public place. Please cite the law that states otherwise.

Xcellere

People *have* heard of sit-ins, which absolutely have a place in righteous protests, but throwing people out of public places because they don't want them there? That's bullshit of the highest order.

And because student journalists at one point were used by the FBI means that journalists should be allowed to be barred from public spaces until the end of time? That's some depressingly regressive and dangerous logic you're using there.

Bingo, and at times it's not even as nefarious as that, but almost as harmful.

Nobody owes you a statement, and frankly, many journalists just plain don't respect the stories they work with. Like Don Lemon on most BLM matters.

And when that happens over and over and over again to specific communities, and when there are alternative ways to get the word out, some people would rather keep those media sources out of the loop rather than be used for further villianizing.

And that backlash effects good intention-ed reporters too, like the one who got pushed here. Sucks for them, but it'll take mending bridges with said communities to fix that. Not the Atlantic further turning them into an evil brainless mob.

For all this talk about communication and working things out, it sounds more like y'all only want one side to talk/apologize.

Came across first take talking about this, and saw Stephen A Smith talking about Sean Hannity and boot straps.

Yeah, a nice healthy reminder why I can't stand that show.

kirblar

UofM's Journalism school's response to the incident: http://journalism.missouri.edu/2015/11/dean-david-kurpius-comments-on-students-coverage-of-protest-on-carnahan-quad/?_ts=1447182026

The Missouri School of Journalism is proud of photojournalism senior Tim Tai for how he handled himself during a protest on Carnahan Quad on the University of Missouri campus.

The news media have First Amendment rights to cover public events. Tai handled himself professionally and with poise.

Also, for clarification, Assistant Professor Melissa Click, featured in several videos confronting journalists, is not a faculty member in the Missouri School of Journalism.

She is a member of the MU Department of Communication in the College of Arts and Science. In that capacity she holds a courtesy appointment with the School of Journalism. Journalism School faculty members are taking immediate action to review that appointment.

Slayven

Bingo, and at times it's not even as nefarious as that, but almost as harmful.

Nobody owes you a statement, and frankly, many journalists just plain don't respect the stories they work with. Like Don Lemon on most BLM matters.

And when that happens over and over and over again to specific communities, and when there are alternative ways to get the word out, some people would rather keep those media sources out of the loop rather than be used for further villianizing.

And that backlash effects good intention-ed reporters too, like the one who got pushed here. Sucks for them, but it'll take mending bridges with said communities to fix that. Not the Atlantic further turning them into an evil brainless mob.

For all this talk about communication and working things out, it sounds more like y'all only want one side to talk/apologize.

What about that burning CVS kid?

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Anyone on here know about this school or go there? What I'm reading in the news papers seems like a small little snippet of what could cause this much response. I'm wondering if there is a situation of intimidation and many people just remaining silent scared to tell they were being harrased. Do they think students did most of these things or is the school closely integrated witht he city and regular traffic go thru or near campus often. Police reports? Any idea who did these things?

Firing the president who hoped it would blow over isn't going to stop the ciminality. I wonder if we have any word on the suspects.

Atlantic have an article on it

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ivists-are-weaponizing-the-safe-space/415080/

At the University of Missouri, student activists succeeded this week in forcing the resignation of President Timothy M. Wolfe, charging that he has not done enough to address persistent racism on campus. Tim Tai, a University of Missouri student, got a freelance assignment from ESPN to photograph the reaction of victorious activists at the tent city they set up in a public area of campus. As a matter of law, he had an indisputable First Amendment right to photograph events transpiring outdoors on public property.

But student activists did not want their tent city or the people in it photographed, and forcibly prevented him from taking pictures. “We ask for no media in the parameters so the place where people live, fellowship, and sleep can be protected from twisted insincere narratives,” a Twitter account associated with the activists later declared, adding that “it’s typically white media who don’t understand the importance of respecting black spaces.” Tim Tai is Asian American.

First Safe spaces now Black Spaces?

As the video begins, a man tells the photographer that he is not allowed to push the wall of people which has formed to stop him from moving forward.
Around the 20-second mark, a woman shouts that the photographer needs to respect the space of students, just as they start to forcibly push him backwards.
Just after the one-minute mark, having been pushed back by students who are deliberately crowding him to obstruct his view, things grow more surreal as the photographer is told, “Please give them space! You cannot be this close to them.”
At the 1:24 mark, as the students are chanting at the photographer and some are visibly smirking at him––and as he’s frustrated but doing his best to keep his cool––a protestor tells him, as if he is disrespecting them, “You think this is funny.”
Around 1:42, after several rounds of students chanting and yelling loudly at him in unison, he raises his voice to politely insist that he has a First Amendment right to be there. And a student interjects that he must not yell at a protestor.
At 1:50 or so, a student tells the photographer that the members of the large group outnumbering him 20- or 30-to-one need to protect their space as human beings from him.
Around 2:08, a woman walks right up to the photographer and says, “You know what? Back off of my personal space. Leave these students alone.”
That woman then spreads out her arms and starts pushing the photographer back more––and as she makes contact with his body other students tell him, “Stop pushing her.”
At 2:33, the same woman tells the photographer that one of the students doesn’t want to talk to him. He explains that he has no desire to speak with anyone. And she replies, “She doesn’t want to see you,” as if he’s infringing on a right to not stand in a public space in a way that makes him visible.
Another surreal moment comes at 2:47, when a student who has been there the whole time approaches the wall of people preventing the photographer’s forward progress and says, “I need to get through, are you not going to let me through?” as if the photographer is the one transgressing against her freedom of movement.
At 3:32 another student says, “They can call the police on you,” as if the photographer is the one breaking the law.
A moment later, the photographer puts his hands and camera directly above his head to try to snap a photo. The women in front of him pushes her hands in the air to try to block the lens. They make fleeting, inconsequential contact, and a bystander accusatorially says to the photographer, “Did you just touch her?” Because that would be beyond the pale, never mind he has been repeatedly pushed!

“You are an unethical reporter,” a student says around 5:15. “You do not respect our space.” Not 30 seconds later, the crowd starts to yell, “Push them all out,” and begins walking into the photographer. “You’re pushing me!” he yells. And even moments after vocally organizing themselves to push him, they won’t fess up to the nature of their behavior. “We’re walking forward,” they say, feigning innocence. Says one snarky student as the crowd forces him back, “I believe it’s my right to walk forward, isn’t it?” Then the photographer is gone, and only the person holding the video camera that recorded the whole ordeal remains. Ironically, he is a member of the press, too, which he mentions to one of the few protestors who is left behind.

By then, the mask has fallen.“Who wants to help me get this reporter out of here?” an unusually frank protestor yells. “I need some muscle over here!”

The woman calling for muscle? An assistant professor of mass media at the University of Missouri ... who had previously asked the campus for help attracting media attention.

Pretty good response. Glad to see them address it quickly.
Anyone on here know about this school or go there? What I'm reading in the news papers seems like a small little snippet of what could cause this much response. I'm wondering if there is a situation of intimidation and many people just remaining silent scared to tell they were being harrased. Do they think students did most of these things or is the school closely integrated witht he city and regular traffic go thru or near campus often. Police reports? Any idea who did these things?

Firing the president who hoped it would blow over isn't going to stop the ciminality. I wonder if we have any word on the suspects.
I'm on campus right now walking between classes. The events this year are really part of a past century of poor race relations and events that have happened throughout the years, even in recent years.

Ultima_5

Como is relatively liberal for the most part. As someone else said its in the middle of MO so there's a good mix of people from KC and STL and random hick towns.

When I was there I remmeber one or two things like the swasticka happening. Probably just drunk kids honestly

Como is relatively liberal for the most part. As someone else said its in the middle of MO so there's a good mix of people from KC and STL and random hick towns.

When I was there I remmeber one or two things like the swasticka happening. Probably just drunk kids honestly
Lots of Chicago kids too.

The feces swastika was probably something more than a drunk kid, just by the nature of the unique insanity of using feces. But some of the other events might be drunk kids for sure. We have what unfortunately seems to me to be a fairly rowdy and stupid Greek population here. But I'm biased since I have some negative perceptions and experiences with them and like to scapegoat them lol

I know when I get drunk the first thing I think about doing is shitting and then of all things making a swastika out of said shit. Cant tell you how many times I've done that.

Right. So you are advocating for press, but only the press you approve.

Where have we heard this before? Oh yeah...pretty much all the worst, most oppressive regimes in history. Not a good look.

Ultima_5

I know when I get drunk the first thing I think about doing is shitting and then of all things making a swastika out of said shit. Cant tell you how many times I've done that.
Well you should knock it off lol

I'm just saying lots of people are total assholes. Drunk or not

Nesotenso

I just saw the video with the student journalist. The entire incident could have been handled better. I don't know if I am missing some context where the protesters have the right to be aggrieved because of unbiased coverage at Mizzou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom