• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Missouri Man arrested for making plans to shoot US president.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mentally ill, exercising his first amendment rights or someone who had a plan but was thwarted?

A Missouri man allegedly made plans to shoot President Obama and solicited help from a former Aryan Nation member to carry out his plot, according to federal charges filed Tuesday in Jefferson City, Missouri.

Cameron Stout of Stover, Mo. was charged in federal court on Tuesday with making threats against the President.

Stout allegedly told a confidential federal informant, who authorities said is a former member of the Aryan Nation white supremacist group, about his plans to shoot Obama, according to an affidavit filed in the case.

Stout's public defender, Troy K. Stabenow, told TPM in an email on Wednesday that it's not yet clear whether Stout's threats were serious.

"Did Mr. Stout commit a federal crime, or was he simply exercising his 1st Amendment rights - venting his feelings to someone he thought was similarly disenchanted with Washington?" Stabenow wrote in an email to TPM.

The informant met Stout last week while fishing and, the affidavit said, either Stout or his friend "made a rude hand gesture towards" the informant. A confrontation took place, but tensions cooled and the men ended up hitting it off. The informant eventually invited the two to dinner at his house.

After Stout's friend left dinner, according to the affidavit, the suspect allegedly told the informant about his plan to shoot Obama.

When Stout said that he did not have the proper weapon, the informant offered to put Stout in contact with an Aryan Nation leader for assistance, the document said.

The informant's girlfriend reportedly recorded part of the conversation.

"I don’t wanna annihilate anybody, I wanna fuckin’ change America," Stout allegedly told the informant. "If you had contact with the people that you say you had contact with, I could kill the President of the United States, and then we storm Washington, and then we take over the country that our forefathers created."

Stout told the informant in a conversation on Saturday that he had researched locations from which to shoot Obama at the White House and the church that the President attends, according to the affidavit. He also allegedly researched wind speeds in Washington and the type of weapon he would need to carry out the plot. Stout also allegedly drew diagrams of D.C. for the informant, who gave them to law enforcement.

"That nigger shouldn’t be President," Stout allegedly told the informant, adding that "some of my best friends have been niggers."

Stout allegedly planned on reaching out to an Aryan Nation leader through the informant for help escaping from Washington, D.C. after carrying out his plot to shoot the President, according to the affidavit.

On Tuesday, an undercover officer purporting to be an Aryan Nation leader met with the informant and Stout to discuss the assassination plot, according to the affidavit. Stout said during that meeting that he planned on shooting Obama during the president's next visit to Kansas City, Mo., and asked the undercover officer for transportation to Kansas City.

Authorities did not give Stout a chance to go any further. They arrested him the same day and he was charged.

Stout's lawyer, Troy Stabenow, has not yet met with Stout, but noted that Stout contradicted himself by describing plots in both Washington, D.C. and Kansas City, Mo.

"I haven't seen any evidence that the President is scheduled to come to Kansas City anytime in the near future, so the question is, how do we judge this sort of talk?" he wrote to TPM in an email.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/cameron-stout-missouri-obama-threat

bidguy

Banned
"I could kill the President of the United States, and then we storm Washington, and then we take over the country that our forefathers created."

k den

"That nigger shouldn’t be President," Stout allegedly told the informant, adding that "some of my best friends have been niggers."

I'm so sure. "Black people are fun to pal around with but them making decisions?! Having authority?! That's right out."

Pretty sure this guy is a terrorist.

Higgy

Wow sounds like a sophisticated plan. Country with over 300 million has a few crazies in it. I'm shocked.

Blader

Wow. He literally used the "some of my best friends" line. I'm impressed.

And did so in as racist a way as possible.

but lol @ "first we're going to shoot the president...then we're going to take the White House!" As if he and his buddy wouldn't have immediately been eviscerated by Secret Service.

Happy-Clapping-To-Dramatic-WTF-Reaction-GIf.gif

It's impressive how well the whole "don't be racist" thing has been internalized, but we really need to work on making it more clear exactly what that entails.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

This is incredible. I can't believe he actually pulled that line out.

Proof that being called racist offends white people more than their ACTUAL racism.

But how can we know that he was really racist though? What if he was just using that word because he heard it in a song? What if he was drunk? What if he jokes about killing his white leaders too? Just asking questions.

/s

He should of course go to prison not for entertaining the thought of killing the president, but because he started taking steps towards that end.

Definitely not mentally ill since he wasn't shot and killed.

I'm sure that was more because he was white than anything.

Also, Holy Shit, that dude was racist! It doesn't surprise me as Missouri has had it's share of racist domestic terrorist organizations in the past, but damn!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's always a source of amazement to me that the most virulent racists are absolutely affronted when accused of racism. And it's near universal.

wildfire

Banned
I actually think it's pretty cool someone who would join the Aryan nation did a great service like that regardless of the circumstances that made him an informant.

That wannabe assassin got punked.

When you have to invoke the I got black friends card to someone you assume is virulently racist.

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.

TalonJH

Have people really not heard the "some of my best friends" line in real life? It's right up there with "I'm not racist but..."

I just think it's funny that he used the line while talking to a former Aryan Nation member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom