• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker working on a new game on WiiU a possibility?

farnham

Banned
official image shown at the mistwalker homepage, which seems to be related with Last Story (not somuch with party wave or blade guardian)

banner_1.jpg

So there were some offhand comments from Sakaguchi to one side and the other

in august 2012 Sakaguchi said :

JPGAMES.DE: Is there maybe a chance that the “The Last Story” isn’t the last one, pretty much like it was with “Final Fantasy”? Or to put it another way: How are the chances for “The Last Story 2″? Do you have any ideas for another big RPG?

Hironobu Sakaguchi: Currently we don’t have any big RPG projects. At this time I would like to create games with a small production team and build up a good and solid team. I don’t know what will happen down the road. But that unknown is the life’s enjoyment, I think.

http://jpgames.de/2012/08/jpgames-de-our-interview-with-hironobu-sakaguchi/

in June 2012 matsumoto said
“I feel that the Wii U’s interface, as with other tablet devices, works best for browsing and arranging information,” Matsumoto told Siliconera.

“One merit is the ability to use a touch screen to directly manipulate information, such as looking up a monster’s weak point or, like with a car’s GPS, as a tool to understand battlefield conditions on a sub screen. This special feature will likely bring about opportunities for deep research into JRPG strategy.”

He added: “Also, I think that things like saving information gathered during gameplay, adding to your own character’s memories and experiences, and sharing with other players via Wi-Fi and the Miiverse will become an experience typical to the Wii U.”

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/0...rategizing-says-the-last-story-lead-designer/

matsumoto also said in another interview
GZ: Could The Last Story possibly lead to more action-RPGs — not necessarily in this franchise — but maybe some action-RPGs for the Wii U with a similar style from the same development team?

TM: The development team and Sakaguchi-san are looking forward to making more, especially for the Wii U because it has another [screen] right in front of you that will add another level of strategic elements into the action-RPG. So we are really looking forward to it, but we haven't really planned anything.

http://www.gamezone.com/products/th...he-last-story-interview-with-takuya-matsumoto

Just a random remark from Sakaguchis blog
tumblr_lh7bdumMgn1qhxybdo1_1280.jpg

【Illustrator】 2/26 2011

I came across the illustration of “Dark Night” which I asked Fujisaka to draw in the past and decided to post it again. All in all, his art is quite nice.

Frailness and kindness of his art are sinking in “The Last Story” and they come into existence of each character. They are good fellows. After the completion of the game production, I usually try to leave its world as soon as possible and reset myself in a positive way but this time is little different. I would like to journey with Seiren and Quark to the end of time. Whenever I have a free time, I play it online or play the second round, picking grains, in order to strengthen weapons and protective gears.

With grateful acknowledgement of the amazing illustrator.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't see any evidence of your thread title speculation in what you posted.

February 2011:
I like the characters from The Last Story, they are cool, and my artist is cool.

June 2012:
What do you think about making games for the Wii U?
It sounds really cool

August 2012:
If you made a Wii U game, what would it be like?
It would be really cool

August 2012:
Are you guys working on a big RPG?
No

I'm not saying they are not working on a new Wii U game, or that it isn't possible, I'm saying there's no reason to believe they are based on the evidence you've posted.

Vamphuntr

It would make sense but there is always a difference between wanting to do a game and being able to find a publisher for it.

Would they really have stood so low and released really bad iOS games if they had a project with Nintendo?

I still believe it would be the most likely scenario for them as I would think all the bridges with Sony are burned after all the things Sakaguchi said about them and it doesn't seem MS was interested in any more projects from Mistwalker after they gave up on Japan and also cancelled Cry On.

farnham

Banned
Bring back Cry On, Mistwalker! For Wii U, even!

was there eve anything shown except illustrations and anime cut scenes?
I don't see any evidence of your thread title speculation in what you posted.

February 2011:
I like the characters from The Last Story, they are cool, and my artist is cool.

June 2012:
What do you think about making games for the Wii U?
It sounds really cool

August 2012:
If you made a Wii U game, what would it be like?
It would be really cool

August 2012:
Are you guys working on a big RPG?
No

I'm not saying they are not working on a new Wii U game, or that it isn't possible, I'm saying there's no reason to believe they are based on the evidence you've posted.

speculation not evidence.

Soriku

I don't think they're working on anything now but if their development team wants to work on another game, "especially for the Wii U," that couldn't hurt.

wrowa

I doubt that Sakaguchi would decline if Nintendo made the offer to fund another of his games.

The question is whether or not Nintendo is interested.

StuBurns

Banned
Who knows, I'd like it to be true. TLS was shit from what I played, but I'm playing Lost Odyssey at the moment, and it's still the best Command-RPG on the HD twins I've played (not played Ni no Kuni yet). Not that it's amazing, but these games are so few and far between, even merely good ones are worth hanging on to with an iron clad grip.

Haunted

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think you're totally reaching to find something in these random bits and blurbs from various interviews and blog posts, but I'd love to see Mistwalker do great big budget RPGs instead of their casual TD and surf shit.

farnham

Banned
Oh, don't get me wrong, I think you're totally reaching to find something in these random bits and blurbs from various interviews and blog posts, but I'd love to see Mistwalker do great big budget RPGs instead of their casual TD and surf shit.

If you are looking at the companies that would be interested to fund a new mistwalker project its probably nintendo.
Sony will get their Square Enix Mainline FF support even if they sell 0 PS4s and MS has abandoned the japanese market. They will be fine by focusing on WRPGs.

so yeah its all speculation at this point. but people created speculative threads on neogaf with less indications so i dont get the backlash

vareon

Of the Operation Rainfall trinity, Mistwalker seemed to have the most tragic fate. Monolith is working on X, Ganbarion is probably working with a contracted work for some time, Mistwalker...released a surfing game on iOS which wasn't even that good.

farnham

Banned
That's the most obnoxiously overdesigned character artwork I have ever seen.
really?
i dont want to post nomuras belt madness or some of the other crap JRPGs brought us (some of the Tales games designs by Mutsumi inomata)

I think Kimihiko Fujisaka and Senri kita are some of the more moderate artists.. Well Senri Kita had some crazy shit in her SNK days i guess

It'd make sense. TLS did about as well as Xenoblade and Nintendo's funding a sequel to that.

I echo the sentiments wanting Cry-On for Wii U too. It's the perfect sort of canceled 3rd party project for Nintendo to swoop in and rescue (like Bayo 2).

duckroll

Who knows, I'd like it to be true. TLS was shit from what I played, but I'm playing Lost Odyssey at the moment, and it's still the best Command-RPG on the HD twins I've played (not played Ni no Kuni yet). Not that it's amazing, but these games are so few and far between, even merely good ones are worth hanging on to with an iron clad grip.

How much do you think it has to do with Mistwalker, and how much do you think it has to do with the actual developer who makes the game? In the case of Lost Odyssey, the battle system and boss battles in particular are rather well implemented, but I feel that is largely because Feel Plus was comprised of many Shadow Hearts staff after they left Nautilus, and the programmer Katsuhisa Higuchi who was technical director on the game. Higuchi was a Squaresoft veteran programmer who worked on various FF games, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, and FFXI - mostly on battle systems. He was in-charge of tuning and balancing the combat and creating the boss AI patterns in Lost Odyssey.

BD1

Banned
they are funding bayonetta 2.. they are desperate at this point

huh?

Anyways, I don't think I see the connection, but I think it would be great. I would love for Last Story to become a serialized RPG franchise for Nintendo consoles; a counterpoint to Final Fantasy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
question: Was the last story a good RPG?

Some people say yes, some people say no. The overall consensus is that it is good, but that Xenoblade is the better of the two; some people disagree, but this is the overall consensus. In my personal experience people that picked up the game because they pick up every RPG regardless of platform tended to be more negative towards the game than people who picked up the game because they were excited for a high profile new Wii title.

farnham

Banned
Some people say yes, some people say no. The overall consensus is that it is good, but that Xenoblade is the better of the two; some people disagree, but this is the overall consensus. In my personal experience people that picked up the game because they pick up every RPG regardless of platform tended to be more negative towards the game than people who picked up the game because they were excited for a high profile new Wii title.

i think xenoblade is a very different game and not really comparable. but i am on the "the last story" boat. (and I usually get every JRPG i can get regardless of platform. playing them is a different story).

I have 1 question and 1 statement for this thread.

question: Was the last story a good RPG?

statement: I am actually excited for the Wii U Fit.

That is all.

Answer to the question. Yes it was.

Response to the statement. I cant wait to buy it (i hate turning the TV on just to use the balance board for the daily bodycheck)

sublimit

Banned
I loved The Last Story so i really hope they return to big production games for whatever console they choose for it (WiiU,Orbis,Durango).

It says Fujisaka and "Last World" in the lower right of the art you posted.
Seems like the two dragons that protect the pieces of The Outsider, no?
Maybe this art depicts when it was split? A prequel set in that scenario could be very cool.
I personally quite enjoyed Last Story and would love to see another game like it.

farnham

Banned
I loved The Last Story but with all the recent iOS games it's hard to imagine Mistwalker's working on another big RPG.

why they worked on ASH inbetween big projects (blue dragon, lost odyssey and last story)

mistwalke isnt doing the actual development anyways they are just a designer studio and the programming is done elsewhere (artoon, AQ, cavia etc.)

Alex

Last Story was the worst of their output I felt but I really hope they are making something for a console or the 3DS at least.

farnham

Banned
Last Story was the worst of their output I felt but I really hope they are making something for a console or the 3DS at least.

I think the DS games were worse...

that said Lost odyssey, Last Story, Blue Dragon were all well made games. especially in comparison to something like FF 13

farnham

Banned
The first art you posted might be concept art for the Last Story when it had sci-fi elements to it.

i think there was a stage where the last story was supposed to be darker.. dunno about sci fi though.. as someone mentioned already the artwork would fit into the last stories world though

Even with zero evidence, Mistwalker is a strong possibility out of the partnerships that Iwata talked about. Wii U is in really bad shape right now. Even though The Last Story was not a hit for Nintendo they still need the excitement that Mistwalker working on the Wii U would stir up.

So IMO the possibility is a good one.

wrowa

i think there was a stage where the last story was supposed to be darker.. dunno about sci fi though.. as someone mentioned already the artwork would fit into the last stories world though

Last Story was originally called Last World and was supposed to take place in a more sci-fi-sh setting. Also, it had snow. Lots of it.

In any case, Last Story was decent but overall it fell pretty flat for me. However, I thought it had quite a lot of potential, so I'd definitely take a look at a sequel.

farnham

Banned
Last Story was originally called Last World and was supposed to take place in a more sci-fi-sh setting. Also, it had snow. Lots of it.

In any case, Last Story was decent but overall it fell pretty flat for me. However, I thought it had quite a lot of potential, so I'd definitely take a look at a sequel.

interesting

Alex

I think the DS games were worse...

that said Lost odyssey, Last Story, Blue Dragon were all well made games. especially in comparison to something like FF 13

I just meant of their console entries, some of their handheld stuff was extremely meek though, yes.

That original setting for TLS looks so much better,nits a shame, although my issues with the game don't have much to do with art.

Top Bottom