• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker working on a new game on WiiU a possibility?

farnham

Banned
I just meant of their console entries, some of their handheld stuff was extremely meek though, yes.

That original setting for TLS looks so much better,nits a shame, although my issues with the game don't have much to do with art.

i think LO and BD are very good games if you look back at the current gen HD JRPGs. so yeah i could see people preferring those games over TLS (its obviously not my opinion).

I think at the end of the day TLS is better than BD though

Bring back Cry On, Mistwalker! For Wii U, even!

Maybe we should all get up in arms and launch a twitter campaign about this or something (I already remind them from time to time).
Everytime I hear this mentioned it makes me think on how good it would have been and that it was most likely cancelled because the publisher didn't think it was mainstream enough.

So sad...

farnham

Banned
Maybe we should all get up in arms and launch a twitter campaign about this or something (I already remind them from time to time).
Everytime I hear this mentioned it makes me think on how good it would have been and that it was most likely cancelled because the publisher didn't think it was mainstream enough.

So sad...

i always thought cry on kinda looked like fragile dreams from a conceptual standpoint

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It'd make sense. TLS did about as well as Xenoblade and Nintendo's funding a sequel to that.

To be fair, it makes sense for a Nintendo-owned developer to have a new game backed by Nintendo.

Last Story was originally called Last World and was supposed to take place in a more sci-fi-sh setting. Also, it had snow. Lots of it.

In any case, Last Story was decent but overall it fell pretty flat for me. However, I thought it had quite a lot of potential, so I'd definitely take a look at a sequel.

Was that where this concept art came from, or was that another phase? Because I'd be really interested in a setting derived from it.

ibuiCRxyxSoBwt.jpg

I'm probably the only person who thinks Blue Dragon is MW's best game. I would totally buy a Durango for just BD2.

Some people say yes, some people say no. The overall consensus is that it is good, but that Xenoblade is the better of the two; some people disagree, but this is the overall consensus. In my personal experience people that picked up the game because they pick up every RPG regardless of platform tended to be more negative towards the game than people who picked up the game because they were excited for a high profile new Wii title.
I think part of the problem too is that in a lot of respects TLS seems to really be more of an action game than a traditional JRPG (realtime, mission based, solo control, etc). I've also noticed that RPG enthusiasts seem to go for it less generally than casual RPG fans.

I would rather see lost odyssey 2
Well, Microsoft owns that so the possibility is dramatically smaller.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
TLS was up there with my goty, so id very much like ton see more. Though I get there feeling one isn't in production but I hope I'm wrong!

Mxrz

Is the new trend to just add "WiiU" to everything?

Mistwalker will make more games at some point. Hopefully the easier development for next gen consoles will let them do Orbis/Durango/PC releases without much fuss.

Mistwalker could have been huge last gen. They just chose the wrong partner for their games (Microsoft)

I'd say they made afew more mistakes then that.

Another Last Story-esque RPG on WiiU? Sign me up for that. Loved the more modern approach to RPG design and combat, and enjoyed the characters and more grounded story a lot more than the cardboard celestial beings of Xenoblade.

Is the new trend to just add "WiiU" to everything?

Mistwalker will make more games at some point. Hopefully the easier development for next gen consoles will let them do Orbis/Durango/PC releases without much fuss.
I think the reason people are defaulting to Wii U is that Nintendo's probably the only company at this point who'd fund a big budget Mistwalker project on consoles. I could see other 3rd party publishers working with Mistwalker on a 3DS or maybe even Vita game, but not on consoles and it's hard to see either Microsoft or Sony backing them at this point either.

Boerseun

Banned
Last Story is the best thing Mistwalker have done, in my opinion. I'd love a Wii U sequel. The gamepad seems a perfect match for the gameplay.

I think the reason people are defaulting to Wii U is that Nintendo's probably the only company at this point who'd fund a big budget Mistwalker project on consoles. I could see other 3rd party publishers working with Mistwalker on a 3DS or maybe even Vita game, but not on consoles and it's hard to see either Microsoft or Sony backing them at this point either.

MAQL co-developed all the console games (Artoon did BD and TLS, feelplus+ did LO, and Cavia was working on Cry On).

So naturally if Nintendo isn't working with them at the moment, MAQL could easily co-develop and publish a Wii U RPG with MW, hell it's the MAQL side that's been the most vocal about the idea.

Hopefully we'll be blown away in the 3rd-party Direct with MAQL showing great stuff including a Mistwalker RPG. *drools*, plus it'd be a shoe-in for XSEED since they won't have to worry about if Nintendo will even allow them to do it again.

DocStar

Neo Member
Mistwalker could have been huge last gen. They just chose the wrong partner for their games (Microsoft)

I wouldn't go that far to say Microsoft was the worst partner possible. We wouldn't have got Blue Dragon (which I personally adored) and Lost Odyssey.

What I can't understand (in expanding the demographic of the 360) is why Microsoft hasn't greenlit at least one successor to one of the games above. Yeah I know the games sold pretty bad in terms of overall budget but ... AHHH i hate Microsoft for that decision.

Then again, if Cry On wouldn't have been canceled we wouldn't have got The Last Story which was amazing on it's own but also didn't do good sales-wise either. So I would say their games even though they were amazing pieces of software just didn't click with the "shoot-shoot-bang-bang"-Audience .... that was their downfall :(

MAQL co-developed all the console games (Artoon did BD and TLS, feelplus+ did LO, and Cavia was working on Cry On).

So naturally if Nintendo isn't working with them at the moment, MAQL could easily co-develop and publish a Wii U RPG with MW, hell it's the MAQL side that's been the most vocal about the idea.

Hopefully we'll be blown away in the 3rd-party Direct with MAQL showing great stuff including a Mistwalker RPG. *drools*, plus it'd be a shoe-in for XSEED since they won't have to worry about if Nintendo will even allow them to do it again.
Well, Marvelous was publishing Cry-On but backed out. As is Mistwalker's only console games have all been funded by first parties (Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey with MS, The Last Story with Nintendo) and with costs rising next gen, I can't see that really changing.

I'd personally love to see MAQL bring back Cry-On for Wii U though. It'd make a nice compliment to No More Heroes 3 and Harvest Moon Online. ;)

Porcile

Sure. It's a possibility if Mistwalker have a decent, financially viable idea for a new game. Something in the vain of Blue Dragon would be lovely to have alongside the more realistic styling of X.

Some people say TLS is average, whats wrong with it?

It's basically Mass Effect 1 as a JRPG. Which I find amazing, but many others were dissapointed by it.

It's one of the few JRPGs were I liked the characters though. More Skies of Arcadia down to earth types, than all those holy do no evil shmucks like in Xenoblade.

daakusedo

Exploring the city and castle made the missions even more frustrating.
So I would like another game when the battles are integrated in something else than linear paths.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Cliched story and the combat has some questionable mechanics (I'd personally ditch the lives system and balance health and damage accordingly). You also don't get an overworld etc like some people may have wanted. But overall it was great.

Derrick01

Banned
I would rather see lost odyssey 2

Me too but that's a MS property.

BUT...mistwalker could very well make a similar game on Wii U but all new stuff. A lot of people half-joke that Lost Odyssey is the best current generation Final Fantasy game so they could easily replicate the experience.

Well, Marvelous was publishing Cry-On but backed out. As is Mistwalker's only console games have all been funded by first parties (Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey with MS, The Last Story with Nintendo) and with costs rising next gen, I can't see that really changing.

I'd personally love to see MAQL bring back Cry-On for Wii U though. It'd make a nice compliment to No More Heroes 3 and Harvest Moon Online. ;)

I really want Cry On on Wii U as well. :)

But I'm doubtful about NMH3, since now Grasshopper is with GungHo, if the game's not already in development, won't GungHo not allow it to be made and GH will have to only make GungHo games?

And I think Harvest Moon Online became that browser game did it not?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Exploring the city and castle made the missions even more frustrating.
So I would like another game when the battles are integrated in something else than linear paths.

This is how I felt. The linear dungeons felt like something out of FFXIII, just with a hub connecting them.

I had more complaints than that though. The combat never clicked with me, something between an RPG and an action game that just never felt satisfying. Bosses didn't really give you much freedom, they were basically a matter of following directions (and hoping the AI would cooperate). Story didn't do much for me either. It seemed like it was always on the brink of getting interesting, but it never really got there until the fairly obvious twist at the very end of the game. And the stuff after the point of no return is way too long. I thought the game was almost over, but it kept going, and going, and going.

I really want Cry On on Wii U as well. :)

But I'm doubtful about NMH3, since now Grasshopper is with GungHo, if the game's not already in development, won't GungHo not allow it to be made and GH will have to only make GungHo games?

And I think Harvest Moon Online became that browser game did it not?
GungHo let GameArts do Lunar DS with MMV, Project Sylpheed with SE/MS, SSBB with Nintendo and TMNT with Ubisoft all after being bought out. I think if Suda wants to do NMH3 then GungHo won't stand in the way, especially if the project happens to predate the buyout.

I'm not totally clear on the details, but I believe Minna no BM is pretty different from what HM Online was.

Alex

Some people are disappointed because it's not an RPG, but I think that's perfectly fine. Unlike some people I don't get offended when developers want to forego a lot of the arbitrary, especially in console RPGs, trappings from time to time. Although some of these attempts really need to have better subsystems to prop these progressive attempts up a bit better. It cribs it's school of design more from Mass Effect than anything, but it doesn't quite have the chops to accomplish what it sets out to do, nor a lot of what makes Mass Effect a very palatable series. Combat can range from fun and nuanced to clunky and chaotic, narrative is fairly standard fare, but serviceable and has it's moments, nothing really else to prop it up.

I guess ultimately enjoyable but uneven and undisciplined would be a good way to put a lot of it.

In terms of presentation, I think the art is wonderful, although the in game transition of it is a bit... lacking...? Both in execution and polish (like animation) but it's not poor or anything. Music, however, is the first time I've actually been disappointed with a soundtrack :lol I want real Uematsu, not someone elses awkward arrangements of his tunes. This really annoyed me, personally, but I'm a fan so it's a more personal complaint.

I disagree with anyone who would say it's a poor game, or even average, although I had my mood swings with it. It's pretty fun for what it is and I still enjoyed it overall, but disappointing is the way to put it. I def do think it's the worst of the Mistwalker console trio. However, I would want them to keep trying to go along this road, as Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon did what they set out to do and I don't want an entire stable of that.

Mistwalker seems a bit sketchy right now, so I'm basically just hoping they get to make something of substance on a console again, period. A Wii U follow up along the same lines, but expanded and with some lessons learned would be a great goal.

Nintendo should actually buy Mistwalker. There's a lot of ex-Square people on Nintendo already and it's userbase is very supportive of the games Mistwalker do.

I would kill for new Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon. I just hope MS have not utterly binned them.

I hope MS wasn't burned by Nintendo (supposedly due to Goldeneye XBLA) so much that they stop all of their IPs from ever bring on Nintendo handhelds again, the last being Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow on DS.

Get MAQL on a 3DS Blue Dragon, Mmm so good, hell a reworked version of the original on 3DS would rock as well.

Nintendo should actually buy Mistwalker. There's a lot of ex-Square people on Nintendo already and it's userbase is very supportive of the games Mistwalker do.

I'm all for it, but I don't know if it's something Gooch would want, as they are just a design studio (and maybe a small one at that), and in Hawaii IIRC. Grezzo should be bought, or at least merged with Brownie Brown while they had the chance.

I've been dying for BB and Grezzo to combine their powers to create a brand-new RPG; the creator of the Mana series formed Grezzo (also created Chocobo and Moogle), while the art team and such formed BB, the powerhouse behind Mana on a new IP? Sign me the fuck up.

But with Shinichi from BB leaving (the co-founder and the one behind the beautiful art as well) puts a dent in that, hope he ends up at Monolith or Grezzo.

King_Moc

Banned
If it's for Wii U, it'll most likely be for other consoles as well. I don't think Mistwalker can afford to be picky.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

There isn't really much to buy. They are just a design-for-hire squad. Cheaper just to contract them.

If it's for Wii U, it'll most likely be for other consoles as well. I don't think Mistwalker can afford to be picky.

They never made a multiplatform game, and I don't think they can afford it either, plus history has shown that they'll never do a Sony game (Gooch REALLY burned bridges with them back then and he hated Ken apparently, I read these somewhere).

And good luck with the 360, I think he's done there as well, and I doubt he's anxious to work on the 720...

He really likes working with Nintendo, I think he showed this in the Iwata Asks, I think he said it reminded him of the good old days or something.

I would kill for new Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon. I just hope MS have not utterly binned them.
Unless it's a Kinect game, Microsoft isn't interested in funding Japanese projects anymore. Maybe they'll try another push with Durango but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

The only way Mistwalker's even likely to get another big budget console project is as a 1st party exclusive. And then, Nintendo's pretty much the only option too.

How are the WiiU's 2D capabilities? I haven't gotten around to playing my copy of The Last Story yet, but if Mistwalker made some sort of a sequel/spin-off (or hell a new IP) where gameplay actually looks like (or really close to) this artwork, I'd freaking die. (I'd imagine it wouldn't be too far off from how El Shaddai looks and that was on PS3, so surely WiiU could handle something close to this pic?)

TLS seems harder to get into than most RPG games

I don't understand my level up system I don't see what I can upgrade from the start so that I why I only played 10 minutes last year and then went back to my NG+ on Xenoblade

I'll try to put a few hours in today to try to understand what this game is doing without comparing it to other games

Semajer

I loved The Last Story, so I hope this is true, and that they're working on a sequel. I'd buy The Penultimate Story day one.

How are the WiiU's 2D capabilities? I haven't gotten around to playing my copy of The Last Story yet, but if Mistwalker made some sort of a sequel/spin-off (or hell a new IP) where gameplay actually looks like (or really close to) this artwork, I'd freaking die. (I'd imagine it wouldn't be too far off from how El Shaddai looks and that was on PS3, so surely WiiU could handle something close to this pic?)

Rayman Legends should answer that question. ;)

It took me a while to wrap my head around what The Last Story was trying to do. I must admit that for half my time playing, I was judging it for what it wasn't, rather than what it was.

Once I got over that hurdle, it did have a pretty decent time with it. It's easily Mistwalker's most original title of the three, in spite of its shortcomings. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey were paint-by-numbers JRPGs and while they were a lot more palatable, I doubt we'll remember anything distinguishing about them in a decade.

If Mistwalker continues to design RPGs, I hope they continue to do try bold things.

Necron

I hope they do. I loved The Last Story.

Anything like Lost Odysee or TLS and I'll be very interested.

Darryl

Banned
the Wii U capabilities of a title similar to The Last Story are amazing. the game had a great combat system and this could only enhance it.

also those pics in the OP are gorgeous

bon

I really hope they get to make more console games in the future. It would suck if Sakaguchi was trapped in the phone zone for the rest of his career.

Raide

Unless it's a Kinect game, Microsoft isn't interested in funding Japanese projects anymore. Maybe they'll try another push with Durango but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Kinect gets plenty of hate on GAF but it could be interesting if a developer actually did make a massive RPG with some king of Kinect features. Even ME3 tried some stuff with voice communication but I am sure Kinect 2 could produce some interesting tools for developers to play with.

Blue Dragon 2 would look damn delicious. :D

StuBurns

Banned
How much do you think it has to do with Mistwalker, and how much do you think it has to do with the actual developer who makes the game? In the case of Lost Odyssey, the battle system and boss battles in particular are rather well implemented, but I feel that is largely because Feel Plus was comprised of many Shadow Hearts staff after they left Nautilus, and the programmer Katsuhisa Higuchi who was technical director on the game. Higuchi was a Squaresoft veteran programmer who worked on various FF games, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, and FFXI - mostly on battle systems. He was in-charge of tuning and balancing the combat and creating the boss AI patterns in Lost Odyssey.
Yeah, I think that's certainly a huge factor, but who else are you going to give enough money to in order to make one of those games with the production values inline with the previous generations? That same team might have been able to make LO without Mistwalker at all, but it'd never get made, because no one would fund it. The Tales games feel budget by comparison, and while Ni no Kuni looks beautiful, it's literally the only other one, of an entire generation, and even though I don't believe the L5 guy saying he didn't care if those games make money or not, even if he did mean that, it's not a sustainable business model.

I fear the only way we're getting more of these games, that look as good as LO or Ni no Kuni, is under pretty rare circumstance, such as Nintendo publishing one.

I know, graphics aren't everything, the 3DS will have lots of command RPGs, and that's great, but I like them being very pretty too.

Fandangox

I have been playing the Last Story recently and I like the combat a lot. I'd love to see a sequel for the Wii U that expanded on that.

Not very far into the game yet so I can't tell if I'd want the sequel to follow the same characters or an entirely new cast and setting.

Kinect gets plenty of hate on GAF but it could be interesting if a developer actually did make a massive RPG with some king of Kinect features. Even ME3 tried some stuff with voice communication but I am sure Kinect 2 could produce some interesting tools for developers to play with.

Blue Dragon 2 would look damn delicious. :D
The scale of Microsoft's Kinect projects plays into this too. I mean, there's a massive gulf between games like Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey or Infinite Undiscovery to games like Crimson Dragon, Haunt or Diabolical Pitch. Microsoft funneled a ton of cash into Japan, and they've sent a pretty clear message they're not interested in doing that anymore.

Blue Dragon 2 would make me buy a Durango immediately though, I absolutely loved the first one. It was basically FFV meets Dragon Ball.

I really enjoy how snappy TLS' story is. You're not in one place for too long and the locales are nice and varied. Some of the battles can feel very epic as well. Easily the best thing Mistwalker made this gen.

Top Bottom