• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 3 (2023) - Beta Weekends

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I played the open beta and I think the improvements in gameplay and UI are really obvious, and of course you're guaranteed to get good maps because they're reusing them from the old game. That said, these gameplay changes could and should be in a patch for MWII. That's how every other game does it these days. Charging $70 for them is shameless. It's ridiculous actually. It's still not as good as BOCW or MW2019 though, but maybe I will get it on sale.

sLBu8Kt.png
I hate the whole thumbnail game from YT but really like some of his content

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Beta is free for all next weekend right?
Open starts on Sat still need a preorder code to play earlier

MODERN WARFARE 3 BETA WEEKEND 2 (OCT 12-16, ALL PLATFORMS)

• Thursday, Oct. 12, to Friday, Oct. 13 (PC and Xbox early access, PlayStation open beta)
  • Saturday, Oct. 14, to Monday, Oct. 16 (PC, Xbox, and PlayStation open beta)

BlueLyria

Played about 30 minutes and uninstalled, I got a few things to say, first let's start with the bad:
  • Want to play this Beta? You're going to Download 80 gb of Cod HQ (which is just MW2 renamed), then 25 extra gb for the MW3 content, even if it doesn't use any of that 80 gigs of warzone/mw2 stuff. Terrible fucking idea, Mw2 beta was like 20 gb, Cold war was about 14. Activision really doesn't want you to uninstall COD because it's a massive fucking space hog (That also adds one more thing to my decision of not picking it up)
  • Visibility still kinda sucks, the heightened contrast helps with short to mid distances, anything after that, good luck spotting anything, too many effects in Rust
  • Stupid Diamond operator skins (I've spoken against the direction Operator packs have been going before)
  • It feels like it should've been a mw2 update
For the Good part:
  • MW2 (2009) maps are still great, even in this form. (Except Skidrow, I hated it back then, still dislike it)
  • 150 HP
  • Weapon balancing so far seems ok
  • Movement feels way smoother than MW2 and MW2 beta
  • Nerfed AA
  • Map Voting
I even considered picking it up for a minute but, the massive size (Which will be even bigger with each update), stupid skin packs day one, only old maps and it being made by sledgehammer outweighs any positive feelings I have towards it. (Also the positive being mostly of old things that were removed from recent cods lol)

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Played about 30 minutes and uninstalled, I got a few things to say, first let's start with the bad:
  • Want to play this Beta? You're going to Download 80 gb of Cod HQ (which is just MW2 renamed), then 25 extra gb for the MW3 content, even if it doesn't use any of that 80 gigs of warzone/mw2 stuff. Terrible fucking idea, Mw2 beta was like 20 gb, Cold war was about 14. Activision really doesn't want you to uninstall COD because it's a massive fucking space hog (That also adds one more thing to my decision of not picking it up)
  • Visibility still kinda sucks, the heightened contrast helps with short to mid distances, anything after that, good luck spotting anything, too many effects in Rust
  • Stupid Diamond operator skins (I've spoken against the direction Operator packs have been going before)
  • It feels like it should've been a mw2 update
For the Good part:
  • MW2 (2009) maps are still great, even in this form. (Except Skidrow, I hated it back then, still dislike it)
  • 150 HP
  • Weapon balancing so far seems ok
  • Movement feels way smoother than MW2 and MW2 beta
  • Nerfed AA
  • Map Voting
I even considered picking it up for a minute but, the massive size (Which will be even bigger with each update), stupid skin packs day one, only old maps and it being made by sledgehammer outweighs any positive feelings I have towards it. (Also the positive being mostly of old things that were removed from recent cods lol)
I'm in a similar boat. I haven't played COD in several years now. Tried this beta and still don't think it is for me, but all those older maps are really pushing my nostalgia.

I think I'll restrain myself from buying it though, because of (1) the incredibly stupid size of the game, (2) Activision sucks, and (3) they asked me to buy the battle pass on the first screen I saw when I booted the beta before even giving me an option to start the game. WTF!

Last edited:

BlueLyria

I'm in a similar boat. I haven't played COD in several years now. Tried this beta and still don't think it is for me, but all those older maps are really pushing my nostalgia.

I think I'll restrain myself from buying it though, because of (1) the incredibly stupid size of the game, (2) Activision sucks, and (3) they asked me to buy the battle pass on the first screen I saw when I booted the beta before even giving me an option to start the page. WTF!
Oh yes, that battle pass thing was also terrible, I logged into the game for the first time since season 2 and I had to watch an unskipable ad (I would call it a cutscene if it had any content, but it was just teasing the halloween update), followed by a "previous battle pass report" and straight into the new battle pass screen.

havoc00

They seem to be obsessed with transforming COD into a tactical fps rather than keeping it arcadey. Maybe Activision should just let them make a full-fledged Rainbow Six Siege style game so they can get it out of their system lol. And yes they seem more arrogant than Treyarch and Sledge Hammer and don't listen to the fans. I think they've been on a high-horse ever since the huge success of the original MW, MW2 & MW3. I bet they see themselves as the "premier" COD development studio because of those games.
Iw should have developed a third person cod like Socom.

Zuzu

I agree, but I can't stand Sledgehammer and how they handle the sound/game play, I think Treyarch does a waaay better job, I love how Cold War plays and feels when moving around, but I like the attention to detail on graphics and sound that IW does on their games. I almost feel like after playing this beta it is like Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare Vanguard to way it feels and sounds, which to me is kind of disappointing, I think out of the three (IW, Treyarch and Sledgehammer) Sledgehammer just needs to stop making COD games, the sounds of the guns sound nothing like the real thing, they made it sound too futuristic, even with the hit markers and headshot sounds, not a big fan of them...I personally think MW2 (2022) nailed the hit marker/headshot sounds. Also with the beta I am not a fan of the 150 health, the grenades/land mines don't kill people, it just injures them, the only way to actually kill someone with a grenade is the throw a semtex and actually stick it to them which is disappointing, what is the point of using those now, but one thing I did really have a blast with is the breacher drone, that is a really fun addition! One last thing I feel they need to do (on Playstation that is) is for the Dualsense settings allow you to set the haptic trigger resistance, on the beta it feels almost non-existent (which I know a lot of people like), but for me I like to have more resistance on the trigger since I use that when doing precision shooting and now I was accidentially pulling off rounds when I wasn't meaning to.

I haven’t been a big fan of Sledgehammer either but I think this is their best game since Advanced Warfare if the full game is similar to the beta. I think it’s far better than WW2 & Vanguard. Imo Vanguard’s single player & multiplayer were awful and WW2’s single player was terrible (multiplayer seemed ok but I only played it a little bit and well past it’s prime). I thought Advanced Warfare’s single player was really good but I hardly played multiplayer so I don’t really have an opinion on it. From what I can pick up from talk in the COD community it does seem that Black Ops 3 and Infinite Warfare did “jump pack/high movement” COD better than Advanced Warfare, but then again AW was the first of its kind for this style of COD so the other games had the benefit of coming after AW.

IW are the masters of sound design but to me this game sounds pretty good. Not as good as an IW game but still fairly decent. I’m Ok with 150 health but I do wish it was a tad lower - like 140. But COD always oscillates between 100 & 150 hp for some reason. 100 is too low imo because it makes it very hard to defend yourself if another player sees you first and it reduces the gun skill that’s necessary to kill someone. This reduces the skill gap. I haven’t personally had any problems getting a fair amount of kills with standard grenades but I didn’t try land mines. But yeah I think the ttk would feel just a bit better if it was a little lower.

Last edited:
I haven’t been a big of Sledgehammer either but I think this is their best game since Advanced Warfare if the full game is similar to the beta. I think it’s far better than WW2 & Vanguard. Imo Vanguard’s single player & multiplayer were awful and WW2’s single player was terrible (multiplayer seemed ok but I only played it a little bit and well past it’s prime). I thought Advanced Warfare’s single player was really good but I hardly played multiplayer so I don’t really have an opinion on it. From what I can pick up from talk in the COD community it does seem that Black Ops 3 and Infinite Warfare did “jump pack/high movement” COD better than Advanced Warfare, but then again AW was the first of its kind for this style of COD so the other games had the benefit of coming after AW.

IW are the masters of sound design but to me this game sounds pretty good. Not as good as an IW game but still fairly decent. I’m Ok with 150 health but I do wish it was a tad lower - like 140. But COD always oscillates between 100 & 150 hp for some reason. 100 is too low imo because it makes it very hard to defend yourself if another player sees you first and it reduces the gun skill that’s necessary to kill someone. This reduces the skill gap. I haven’t personally had any problems getting a fair amount of kills with standard grenades but I didn’t try land mines. But yeah I think the ttk would feel just a bit better if it was a little lower.

I totally agree that MW3 is much better than WW2 and Vanguard, both of those I wasn't a fan of, I gave Vanguard a seriously go and ended up just going back to Cold War until MW2 came out. The movement, etc. does feel more arcade-y which I do prefer, just wish the sound was using the gun/hit marker sounds from MW2. Maybe the final game they will adjust the health, I do feel the 150 is too high or at least when a grenade is next to someone or they step on a mine that it kills them instead of just injuring them. I am really hoping they tighten up trigger resistance though, right now it is way too loose on the Dualsense, I kept squeezing off rounds just lightly resting my finger on the R2, Cold War by far has had the best trigger resistance out of the games.

I don't think I have ever played a COD where it's this difficult to tell your own team from enemies. I've shot more teammates and been shot by teammates more in this game than ever before.
I think a lot of that has to do with the way the spawns are. So far when I was playing it there's a lot of times to where an enemy player will spawn next to me. So now every time I see movement near me I immediately ads and shoot them.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think a lot of that has to do with the way the spawns are. So far when I was playing it there's a lot of times to where an enemy player will spawn next to me. So now every time I see movement near me I immediately ads and shoot them.
Seems spawns may be at least looked into

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Is there any consensus on if aim assist has been nerfed or not? OR still too early to tell? I saw some youtube guys saying it for sure was... but then they kinda walked it back. But then I think JGOD or someone said it felt exactly the same.

Id like to play this with mouse & keyboard but fuck me that aim assist was just too nasty

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Is there any consensus on if aim assist has been nerfed or not? OR still too early to tell? I saw some youtube guys saying it for sure was... but then they kinda walked it back. But then I think JGOD or someone said it felt exactly the same.

Id like to play this with mouse & keyboard but fuck me that aim assist was just too nasty
Aim assist felt the same to me, very strong

seems the same

Have an issue... my son pre-ordered MW3 standard edition for $70 on the xbox series x and he wants to upgrade to the vault edition but there is no $30 upgrade option... It just shows the vault edition at $100. any ideas?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Have an issue... my son pre-ordered MW3 standard edition for $70 on the xbox series x and he wants to upgrade to the vault edition but there is no $30 upgrade option... It just shows the vault edition at $100. any ideas?
Looks like on Xbox you have to cancel the standard edition

Vault Edition Upgrade: If you preorder or pre-purchase the Standard or Cross-Gen Digital Edition of Modern Warfare III, you can upgrade to the Vault Edition if the upgrade is on the same platform where you initially purchased. For example, if you pre-purchase the Battle.net Standard Edition, you can upgrade to the Battle.net Vault Edition at any time until the upgrade offer expires. The upgrade method varies depending on your platform:

PlayStation: Upgrade directly through the Call of Duty in-game store or the platform store where you purchased the Cross-Gen Digital Edition, for $30 or your regional equivalent.

Xbox: Cancel your Cross-Gen Digital Edition preorder, then purchase the Vault Edition through the Call of Duty in-game store, the Call of Duty website, or the platform store.

Battle.net: Upgrade directly through the Call of Duty in-game store or the platform store where you purchased the Standard Edition, for $30 or your regional equivalent.

Steam: Upgrade directly through the Call of Duty in-game store or the platform store where you purchased the Standard Edition, for $30 or your regional equivalent.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
There's no upgrade xbox, from cod themselves:
Xbox: Cancel your Cross-Gen Digital Edition preorder, then purchase the Vault Edition through the Call of Duty in-game store, the Call of Duty website, or the platform store.

PSYGN

I haven't played the last few CoD games. I enjoyed older CoD games from CoD 4 to BO4 (even Ghosts and Infinite Warfare)... the games since MW looked pretty but felt heavy to me and with all the changes just didn't add up to have that arcade-y CoD "charm". Like when playing MW I felt I wasn't able to rush around in it without feeling at a severe disadvantage and the attachments and whatnot didn't feel like they did anything noticeable.

So for those of you who tried the game, do you think I'd enjoy this a lot more than the other games on their new engine? My idea of a fun time is not having to slide jump around constantly to break sprint out times or whatever. I just want to move around the map and have a chance against enemies that aren't rushing.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I haven't played the last few CoD games. I enjoyed older CoD games from CoD 4 to BO4 (even Ghosts and Infinite Warfare)... the games since MW looked pretty but felt heavy to me and with all the changes just didn't add up to have that arcade-y CoD "charm". Like when playing MW I felt I wasn't able to rush around in it without feeling at a severe disadvantage and the attachments and whatnot didn't feel like they did anything noticeable.

So for those of you who tried the game, do you think I'd enjoy this a lot more than the other games on their new engine? My idea of a fun time is not having to slide jump around constantly to break sprint out times or whatever. I just want to move around the map and have a chance against enemies that aren't rushing.
I honestly don’t do all the rushing and slide canceling and I still enjoy it and when I get into crazy hyper lobbies I just back out and find a new one.

Starting this weekend the beta is free to try on all platforms

• Thursday, Oct. 12, to Friday, Oct. 13 (PC and Xbox early access, PlayStation open beta)

PSYGN

I honestly don’t do all the rushing and slide canceling and I still enjoy it and when I get into crazy hyper lobbies I just back out and find a new one.

Starting this weekend the beta is free to try on all platforms

Ah, I like to move around a lot. I'm usually at the top of the lobby leaderboard in CoD kd/spm but I know the more recent games like to hide a lot of that. Last time I checked out rushers at my skill level they were all doing the slide canceling constantly and it honestly looked silly and tiresome. But from what I've heard rushing is more viable in this game and you don't have to resort to that? Or is it still hugely advantageous for sprint out reasons (or whatever aiming down from a run is called) and possibly being harder to hit (or slight momentum boost if that's a thing from it)?

Last edited:
Man I tried to get use to this game but movement speed and the ttk is really fucking me hard. I just don't have the same reflexes that I did when I was younger.

splattered

Man I tried to get use to this game but movement speed and the ttk is really fucking me hard. I just don't have the same reflexes that I did when I was younger.

Yeah speed and stuff looks increased... im curious to see how i fare in this one. Dont have the funds to preorder though, so just gonna check out the open beta when it goes live on Xbox.

KaiserBecks

Oh boy. I'm really, really disappointed about what they did to the gunplay. I get that the visual recoil wasn't for everyone, but now shotguns feel like bb guns, smgs and aussault rifles like pea shooters. They removed everything that made mw2019's gunplay so satisfying. While I'm glad to see the MW2 maps finally return, this feels....dated.

Tarnpanzer

Damn, graphics are really not good in MP on PC, even if maxed out @4K/DLAA. Everything looks so low poly, low fidelity, blurry, shadow pop-ins etc..

In my opinion a step down from last years MWII in the visual department.

And why have all the maps such a low contrast, even in HDR?

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this for most of the day as to why this game just doesn't feel good to play. Then I realize that it's because Sledgehammer games is making it and they haven't made any Call of Duty that was fun to play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom