• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare Early Copies Already Out Into the Wild, Patch Required to Get Past Main Title Screen

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
You have a point if the game is leaked (meaning: distribuited without consent with malicious intent), but if I'm not mistaken we're talking about regularly sold copies. Even if the seller has done the wrong thing by selling it before the date, this is a problem between the seller and the publisher, no?

What I mean is: is it right to punish the customer for a mistake of the retailer? The customer is in good faith here.

Sub_Level Sub_Level : oh, so it works offline?

Thats what that article said. And it made a point to distinguish MW from WW2 which had the online requirement. We'll all find out in a few days at the most who is right. If we see leaked campaign footage or screenshots then we know it can be bypassed.

what's the issue here? This is life nowadays, accept it. The game isn't even out in retail so of course you can't DL the day 1 patch like every game ever made in 2019

Mista

Banned
You have a point if the game is leaked (meaning: distribuited without consent with malicious intent), but if I'm not mistaken we're talking about regularly sold copies. Even if the seller has done the wrong thing by selling it before the date, this is a problem between the seller and the publisher, no?

What I mean is: is it right to punish the customer for a mistake of the retailer? The customer is in good faith here.

Sub_Level Sub_Level : oh, so it works offline?
Yes but the game works offline so why are people complaining exactly?

Birdo

Banned
Saw on Twitter that the XBO version is 139GB.........

That's going to be an 89GB day one patch.

Atomic Oof.

ARXp9Jc.jpg

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Saw on Twitter that the XBO version is 139GB.........

That's going to be an 89GB day one patch.

Atomic Oof.
That’s what’s written on the game page too. 137GB

I believe extra space just like what happened with RDR2. No way in hell a day one patch is around 89GB

makaveli60

Corporate masters better than kids crying over everything and they keep on increasing every year. I was joking with you but it seems you get butthurt over anything so I’m taking that back

And no, just because you don’t give a shit about the multiplayer doesn’t give you the right to play the campaign before the release date. Thank you and good bye sir
I was joking too ;)

BTW can you show me where did I argue for playing early? I think you are still missing my point.

I'm one of those sad people that read console TOS.

Everything is temporary and you own nothing. We just have to accept it.

The scariest one is in Sony's, where it tells you that your account will probably be nuked if you don't use it for over 24 months......

Surely that is illegal to do in the EU at least, since you paid them money for a service that you are using?

Understandable for Emails and Accounts that are free to use, but not Accounts that have paid content on them. (Unless that is the loophole they use....where the Account is Free to create therefore the Terms are Forfeit?)

Portugeezer

You should not have to be online to play single player, this is essentially online DRM; the XB1 pre-launch dream we were all disgusted by.

RIP to that one guy who only wants SP and his Internet is acting up on that day...

I don't care if some people got it early. Don't block SP. Punish retailers not consumers.

R.I.P physical media. In my opinion this isn't acceptable at all.

The pain is real..but technically this bish is out on the 25th, so whoever is thinking to lawyer up they have a right to keep this locked untill Oct 24th 11:59:59pm. Digital or physical you ain't grabbing a copy from Walmart, Target, BB..etc.

Consumer

all this outrage is giving me mega REEra vibes. you guys sure love defending physical media for no good reason. your consoles won't be remotely playable by the time the update servers would've shut down 🤷‍♀️ every dev should do this sorta thing

Miles708

all this outrage is giving me mega REEra vibes. you guys sure love defending physical media for no good reason. your consoles won't be remotely playable by the time the update servers would've shut down 🤷‍♀️ every dev should do this sorta thing

It's actually not even a physical media problem, really... if I buy something, i expect to be able to use it, even in digital form.
Again, if it works without patches, everything is OK. If i have to download the patch to enable the very basic functions of my purchase, then we have a problem.

What is it that you and some others can't understand about the problem with this? I and a lot of other people still buy physical games to be able to preserve it and play it anytime we want without depending on online availability.

Yea, you do that on the 25th..thank you very much.....Nnnneeext!

Quezacolt

i still have a gamecube that i got in 2003 and still works perfectly, same for OG xbox, and yet, i've seen digital games taken away from digital stores, people losing accounts with thousands of dollars in games, servers going down in the same gen the game was released, etc... there's nothing wrong in trying to preserve our hobbybetter than paying for something that isnt yours .

data_jack

People got a game early, the company has a roadmap and business plan to help the game succeed which includes a launch plan, so the players can't play it early. What's the big deal here?

Tesseract

Banned
i still have a gamecube that i got in 2003 and still works perfectly, same for OG xbox, and yet, i've seen digital games taken away from digital stores, people losing accounts with thousands of dollars in games, servers going down in the same gen the game was released, etc... there's nothing wrong in trying to preserve our hobbybetter than paying for something that isnt yours .

been on steam for almost 17 years and i haven't lost a game yet

the ship has sailed, it's time to move on

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
For any number of reasons. Less time as you get older, having kids, money is tight, etc.

When I went all in on PC gaming and sold my PS4 Pro I was able to sell it and all of my games. It's a nice option to have that some people bizarrely can't wait to give up, for some reason.

i see no reason to give it up tho, what does getting older, having kids and all that have to do with me moving a mouse around and pressing buttons on a keyboard

makaveli60

It's ridiculous that we have to explain this to them. No wonder where the world is today. Orwellian system, yay!

Tesseract

Banned
emulation covers all the console bases you guys are concerned with, barring some exceptions where instruction doc isn't available (xbox)

NickFire

They know that retailers make mistakes and might break street dates, but the average person who sees and buys a game in store are hardly thinking of that. The publisher should not be shipping products into retail that will not work when the consumer picks them up.

i don't see why that means i'd give it up for consoles when i could just plug the thing into my living room tv

plug in some controllers and get going with the wife and kids
I didn't mention switching to console. Simply that, as unimaginable as it may be right now, you might quit gaming at some point. Priorities change as you get older.

Unless you're me and transcend these things simply by being awesome.

i'll quit playing murder simulators when the pentagon takes them from my containment pod
You're a fine egg, sir.

It's something I've been thinking about recently with the PS5 on the horizon. I have 146 games on Steam and a handful of other games on assorted launchers. I'd hate to lose them, the way I lost a few on PSN.

Guess I'm locked in.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Then the game is completely dysfunctional when the online service shuts down, unless you already downloaded the patch before. I think this is completely unacceptable. Just start the online game service the day the game launches, then no one has an advantage in the online mode, but who is getting hurt by someone playing the singleplayer early? This is so petty...

90% of CoD players won’t care in a year when the 2020 game comes out and this one will be traded in or deleted from their HDD.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
90% of CoD players won’t care in a year when the 2020 game comes out and this one will be traded in or deleted from their HDD.
True. But I still care for the rights of the other 10% and would personally care for games that I am interested in. Such as Spyro Reignited Trilogy, for instance, which has similar bullshit.

So because a few people get the game early, they have to ruin the preservation and the offline experience for millions?
It's their $60 game, let them do whatever they want with it.

Whats not acceptable?

Yes. Not because you paid whatever money means you get to play it before the official release date :)
The unacceptable part of it is not being able to play your $60 game whenever you want, more than that if you get it early.

Yes, you should in fact have the right to play it before the official release date. Think of the nosense they'll try to pull in the future, this is just the beginning. Do you like always online DRM too?

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The back of the box should read “Internet Connection Required” and then if they really want to speak out about it; they’ll include it at the end of their commercials. That way we know that this is an online game. Having them sneak around like this is what’s fishy/suspicious.

Petrae

The days when consoles had that distinctive plug and play advantage over PCs are fast becoming a distant memory. To be fair this sort of stuff began with seventh generation consoles.

Exactly this. Consoles aren’t the simple video game devices they were. You can no longer pop in a new game and start playing within a minute (or less). It’s now a significant delay, between mandatory installation and all-but-required downloaded patches—some of which are double-digit gigabytes in size. That kind of bullshit used to be relegated to PCs only, but now we’re all stuck waiting.

It’s why I’ve grown to hate modern consoles. You do more fucking waiting than anything else, and the convenience that used to define console gaming is permanently dead.

And shit like this, where you are REQUIRED to download any kind of data before you can play your new game, just exacerbates things.

They know that retailers make mistakes and might break street dates, but the average person who sees and buys a game in store are hardly thinking of that. The publisher should not be shipping products into retail that will not work when the consumer picks them up.

Retailers foolishly break street date pretty often, mostly by mistake. Even if they purposely do it, it’s not the consumer’s responsibility to wait until “release day”. If I purchase a game, I should be able to play it— at least the offline component. If the retailer fucked up, publishers should be punishing them with fines and/or supply sanctions. Punishing me because I bought a game “early” that a retailer sold me is fucking bullshit, as is the premise of a “release date” to begin with since the games have been in stores for days before said date anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom