• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ModNation Racers |OT| Loading, Moaning And Creating Vinyl Clothing

gokieks said:
Did anyone else get an e-mail from Sony about this game now being available, including a code for a free Air Raid Mod/Kart... except the code was all Xs and obviously incorrect?
Me too, hahaha.

shagg_187 said:
Yup. me too. I emailed Guerrilla to fix this shiet!
HAHAHAHAAH

Wait, so indeed the racing servers are region locked?

if so W T F !?

I have a US PS3 but I currently live in Germany =(

Looks like I may be pickng up blur instead

29fxw5k.jpg

No, I didn't make him. I'm not that talented. And yes - this is the Mario you've probably all seen before, but he just looks so damn good. I just had to download that mod.

But that is my kart. :lol

expy

Banned
fna84 said:
How did people get the Goku/Ash faces on their characters?

Is there any way to upload images and use them as stickers?!
Creativity... They use stickers/accessories and really play around with them..... Just layer one after the other to get the desired effect. A lot of time required.

BTW, how do we take a screenshot in MNR?

Edit: nvm...

My first custom mod~

Rei Ayanami

2v8g943.jpg

No45

AgentOtaku said:

if so W T F !?

Do we know if it's locked to the console or the game? In the past it's been the game rather than the console - hope that's the case here or I'm screwed. Already have the game but haven't touched the multiplayer yet.

EDIT: Someone posted this on the UK forums:

jg5wll.jpg

... just need to work out how the lock works. Then badger Sony to patch that shit out of the game.

No45 said:
Do we know if it's locked to the console or the game? In the past it's been the game rather than the console - hope that's the case here or I'm screwed. Already have the game but haven't touched the multiplayer yet.

jg5wll.jpg

... just need to work out how the lock works. Then badger Sony to patch that shit out of the game.

Well ain't that a pisser.

No45 said:

jg5wll.jpg

Seriously?

It's 2010! Sony WTF am total...

kevm3

Overall, the racing feels great, but the power-ups are starting to become annoying to me. THat's one thing Mario Kart... at least up to 64 does better than this game is manage the power-ups to where they aren't half as annoying as in this game. In Mario Kart, there were different tiers of powerups... not everything stopped you in your tracks, and most of the things you could actually defend against. Hopefully they rebalance these powerups and add more variety in the future.

No45

kevm3 said:
Overall, the racing feels great, but the power-ups are starting to become annoying to me. THat's one thing Mario Kart... at least up to 64 does better than this game is manage the power-ups to where they aren't half as annoying as in this game. In Mario Kart, there were different tiers of powerups... not everything stopped you in your tracks, and most of the things you could actually defend against. Hopefully they rebalance these powerups and add more variety in the future.
The game does give you the tools to negate a lot of the incoming damage. As a rule of thumb I never use the boost meter for boosting, because the shields are invaluable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
AgentOtaku said:

if so W T F !?

oh arse. UKer with JPN PS3. bought at the weekend but haven't played it yet (focusing on split second atm)

can I at least download other people's tracks/characters? I can probably live without online racing.

RagnarokX

Holy crap the challenges on Drifter's Paradise are insane. 4000 wall ride points, 140,000 drift points, and come in first. It was hard enough to come in first without sticking to the wall.

lol @ that email. So much for Gamespot's exclusive dlc vouchers. Air Raid is a cool mod/kart.

Takao

Banned
True Story: I started up the PSN download of the PSP version this morning. It's estimating around 30 minutes to download the 1.08GB game. That's considerably better than the borderline insane 200-something minutes it was estimating yesterday.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Cool little detail I've noticed recently.

When a rival in front of you triggers a maxed out super boost (the one that teleports you far ahead), you can join in for a ride if you are right behind him (so that you are sucked into the green portal thing). This is awesome :lol

BTW, to people having hard time beating challenges, I strongly suggest to set up the speed at max (+2). It's much easier to win the races.

So, picked this up yesterday, which aside from Backbreaker next week, will be my last gaming purchase until Halo Reach.

This game is an absolute blast! As everyone else feels, I will be very happy when and if they get a patch out that curbs those load times....yeesh!

The mods that are already out there are insane. Only had time to go through a few of the body mods and while most were ranging anywhere from eh to pretty good, there were already a few GREAT ones. I cant wait to see whats up and available a month from now.

Will be able to play this evening, add me - PSN: TheApatheticOne

TTP said:

When a rival in front of you triggers a maxed out super boost (the one that teleports you far ahead), you can join in for a ride if you are right behind him (so that you are sucked into the green portal thing). This is awesome :lol

BTW, to people having hard time beating challenges, I strongly suggest to set up the speed at max (+2). It's much easier to win the races.

Yeah I like that with the warp too, though I feel like another kart racing game did it too, nonetheless the warp is my favorite one, and the level three swarm of rockets.

Anyone have impressions on the PSP sku yet? I'm getting the MGS bundle in a couple weeks, and it'd be nice to knock out a few races while on lunch break or in the can.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Dedication Through Light said:
Yeah I like that with the warp too, though I feel like another kart racing game did it too, nonetheless the warp is my favorite one, and the level three swarm of rockets.

Rollcage.

spindoc said:
Rollcage.

Not one to go too OT but.. That was an awesome, awesome game.

That said, all I used to do on it when I was young was boost into the pillars of those huge buildings to get thrown about:lol

Still impossible to find an XP race?

FAIL.

Also.. backing out of the race menu (after no one joining the lobby) causes the game to disconnect online.

FAIL.

Hot lap glitches being so obvious... 6 seconds... really?

FAIL

AI characters tripling their speed and passing you just before the finish line after you built up a lead or you saw them crash. Seriously... one race was just ridiculous... the AI character shot up the position indicator so fast i thought it was a bug.

EPIC FAIL.

I love the create tools but a couple of niggles are ruining this... if i can't find races online and the AI racing is REALLY unfair... why should i keep this?

NinjaFusion said:
Still impossible to find an XP race?

FAIL.

Also.. backing out of the race menu (after no one joining the lobby) causes the game to disconnect online.

FAIL.

Hot lap glitches being so obvious... 6 seconds... really?

FAIL

AI characters tripling their speed and passing you just before the finish line after you built up a lead or you saw them crash. Seriously... one race was just ridiculous... the AI character shot up the position indicator so fast i thought it was a bug.

EPIC FAIL.

I love the create tools but a couple of niggles are ruining this... if i can't find races online and the AI racing is REALLY unfair... why should i keep this?

1) Online doesn't even matter. It's a bonus. This is a kart racing game that I can play split screen with 3 friends, has extensive creation tools, and has fun driving mechanics. If online matters that much to you, I'm sure things'll smooth out.

2) See 1.

3) Meh.

4) Rubberband AI is a staple of the genre and I like it. It's not as bad as you're describing-- the game doesn't magically make the enemy's karts go faster. YOu just need to get better at the game.

If this were a regular old kart racing game with extremely fun mechanics and track design, plus awesome creation tools, but no online functions, would you not keep the game?

People these days are too quick to jump online and shout "OMG FAIL"

Nymerio

TTP said:

Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna try that when i get home. I'm currently stuck at the jungle level, where you have to hit 3 opponents on the bridge. I don't have a problem shooting them, but coming in first is a serious bitch.

eznark

Banned
This thread unsold me on the game. Hopefully it'll get ironed out in a few weeks or whatever, but shitty online and long load times are not something I want in a kart racer.

Nyx

eznark said:
This thread unsold me on the game. Hopefully it'll get ironed out in a few weeks or whatever, but shitty online and long load times are not something I want in a kart racer.

Unsold ey ?

Maybe I should tell once more that this game is AWESOME.

Biggest surprise of the year, for me at least.

eznark

Banned
Nyx said:
Unsold ey ?

Maybe I should tell once more that this game is AWESOME.

Biggest surprise of the year, for me at least.
Sadly, I was actually going to go get it or Blur this morning. Now I am going to get neither.

Seriously, what a bunch of whiny babies. Find one thing to complain about and suddenly the game SUX

Maybe you didn't realize that I'm racing around awesome tracks blowing people up and doing 360 jumps as MOTHERFUCKING PIXELATED CREEPY BARACK OBAMA

HappyBivouac said:
1) Online doesn't even matter. It's a bonus. This is a kart racing game that I can play split screen with 3 friends, has extensive creation tools, and has fun driving mechanics. If online matters that much to you, I'm sure things'll smooth out.

2) See 1.

3) Meh.

4) Rubberband AI is a staple of the genre and I like it. It's not as bad as you're describing-- the game doesn't magically make the enemy's karts go faster. YOu just need to get better at the game.

If this were a regular old kart racing game with extremely fun mechanics and track design, plus awesome creation tools, but no online functions, would you not keep the game?

You're absolutely right... having paid for the features advertised i should be delighted that a number of them are fraught with issues.

If i just wanted a split screen kart racer i would player one of the numerous iterations of mario kart i have at home.

HappyBivouac said:
Seriously, what a bunch of whiny babies. Find one thing to complain about and suddenly the game SUX

Maybe you didn't realize that I'm racing around awesome tracks blowing people up and doing 360 jumps as MOTHERFUCKING PIXELATED CREEPY BARACK OBAMA

the game, to me at least, blew way before that.

I don't like the powerups, the character models clash with the tracks, the loading times coupled with a bunch of unnecessary menus (why do I have to go to the Editor after completing a career race) drove me insane etc. etc.

the only think that was remarkably good was the driving itself.

still, belittling people's complaints over errors in a mode that would be outrage inducing in other games is a bit stupid, now isn't it?

HappyBivouac said:

I've not got the game but QFT.

HappyBivouac said:

2) See 1.

3) Meh.

Online doesn't even matter? It's a bonus? The fuck are you smoking? :lol :lol
We all paid for the online portion of the game to work and work properly. We have every right to complain when it doesn't. The online portion of the game, which you claim doesn't even matter, is tied into the fucking interactive MAIN MENU!!!!!

The rest of your post is just a series of ridiculous excuses to try and defend legitimate problems with the game.

I played Modnation Racers last night for a couple of hours and I really enjoyed it but I'm not going to come on here and defend against legitimate issues the game has. Even after all the shit I've read in the Lost thread over this past weekend, this post takes the cake.

eznark

Banned
HappyBivouac said:

I have no idea if the game is good or not, but I'm not going to go out and pay for a game that sounds like it currently has the same problems as the beta. I can wait til it's ironed out.

Also, ObamaCar was the straw that broke the no-buy camels back. Probably funded that kart with taxpayer dollars.

Purist

Neo Member
I'm so torn on this game. I want it to be incredible, but the load times are going to kill local multiplayer, and the online appears to have glitches and is region locked. I didn't want to just rent this game because of it's unlimited replayability like LBP.

Purist said:
I'm so torn on this game. I want it to be incredible, but the load times are going to kill local multiplayer, and the online appears to have glitches and is region locked. I didn't want to just rent this game because of it's unlimited replayability like LBP.

my advice: wait for a patch and then pick it up from the bargain bin/used.

Concept17

eznark said:
I have no idea if the game is good or not, but I'm not going to go out and pay for a game that sounds like it currently has the same problems as the beta. I can wait til it's ironed out.

Also, ObamaCar was the straw that broke the no-buy camels back. Probably funded that kart with taxpayer dollars.

o_O

Was going to pick this up today. Likely still will despite some complaints about online glitches. Don't think I've ever played a game online in the first week of its release where it didn't have some kind of problems.

Top Bottom