• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mods and cheating engines in PC games.

How do you like your modding on PC games? And what about cheating engines? Why?

• No cheating. I mod graphics, nothing else.

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • No cheating. I mod graphics and tweak gameplay in minor ways.

Votes: 17 27.0%
  • No cheating. I mod games heavily, i never play them Vanilla.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Cheating. I mod graphics, nothing else.

• Cheating. I mod graphics and tweak gameplay in minor ways.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Cheating. I mod games heavily, i never play them Vanilla.

• Total voters

Tschumi

In my life I ceased cheating in videogames when i was about 10 years old (AoE2 Robin Hood Robin Hood Robin Hood), and while i do sometimes take necessary mods (KOTOR2 for example), and a few graphical and quality of life mods for old games I've already completed (Morrowind is the Mt Rushmore of modding experiences) i never feel even the faintest glimmer of a desire to download mods that tweak gameplay or in any way alter the balanced experience the developers put together unless that experience is some decades outdated.

Today - I'm not going to quote anyone, because i think it feels pretty lame to be quoted only to be contradicted at the start of a new thread - but someone elsewhere mentioned that they've modded MGSV so that they don't have to wait for upgrades. In my mind that's a really, i dunno, indulgent perversion of the vision of the game designers. Maybe in MGSV i would take a mod that unlocks another 40 hours of story lol, no worries, but to break the gameplay loop? Just to speed it up? That would be like modding MGS2 to disable detection on guards so you don't have to waste time sneaking?

**NOTE: I apologise for the above italic comparison. Even as i wrote it it felt like a bit of a stretch but i didn't think anyone would give a crap. A couple of warriors have cried tears about my impugning their pet mod however, so I'll take this moment to think up a better comparison: it would be like using mods to reduce the amount of time you had to wait for searches to end in mgs2. Elective, arguably practical, but against the spirit in which the game was crafted***

A few months ago i remember someone here boasting to me about how they never play a game without cheating, that they use god mode and such much like an Iron Chef uses truffles~ i just cannot comprehend how that could possibly make the game more fun? I tried to understand but they insisted it was more fun to them, and i just can't fathom that. Edit: sorry for being a cheatnazi but I'll include console commands as cheating, since that's where god more originated after all~

images

So my poll is asking this:

How do you like your modding on PC games? And what about cheating engines? Why?

...as always ty for reading my wall of text...

Last edited by a moderator:

kretos

Banned
You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

I never mod graphics, just gameplay, but there's no option for that. No need for cheat engines either. The games where I do cheat let you do so using console commands.

Exentryk

I mod games for QoL mostly and sometimes for graphics.

Regarding cheats, this is my main reason for playing on pc. As I mostly play RPGs, they usually have a grind somewhere (upgrades, crafting, etc), so I will tweak those to save time. I don't like to mod stats or make myself overpowered though, as I prefer to keep the experience comparable to console players that can't mod. This makes it easier to discuss boss strategies and other stuff with everyone.
So yeah, cheats mostly to save me time. It's a big enough reason that I buy all multiplats on pc.

Tschumi

I never mod graphics, just gameplay, but there's no option for that. No need for cheat engines either. The games where I do cheat let you do so using console commands.
I would still reckon console commands break an experience.. aren't they only really meant for testers why are trying to break the game? Ah well i guess i can imagine some of them being novelty commands, which i can get behind.

Sorry about the poll, only so many options dontcha know

Esca

First thing I do in rpgs is find out the command line to disable weight carry limits. Besides that I just do graphic and conversion mods

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I used a cheat in red dead to get a bunch of money so didn’t have to loot shit so it was less tedious, also in border lands to fuck with the slots so I could get a bunch of weapons. Last game was avengers because fuck it game sucked, infinite everything!

PhoenixTank

I usually reserve cheating (single player only) for the games that just do not respect your free time, but that I'd still like to reach the end of the story for. Otherwise purchase wasted/game discarded. Not something I resort to immediately.

Plenty of mods over the years but not to the degree that they greatly change gameplay - generally enhancements or fixes and texture packs.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.
Is it lonely on that pedestal?

NeoLed

Is it lonely on that pedestal?
He is joking. It's a copy pasta

Edgelord79

Gold Member
He is joking. It's a copy pasta

Lol my bad then! I didn't realize this.

Lanrutcon

I got a folder filled with CE tables. Speedhacking alone makes it worth it.

And mods...sweet baby Jesus they are amazing. How the fuck does anyone play FO4 or Skyrim without mods?

Just to speed it up?That would be like modding MGS2 to disable detection on guards so you don't have to waste time sneaking?

That was a stupid comparison and you should feel bad for making it publicly. Those timers are literally just there to waste to your time and serve no purpose. MGSV does not need mobile game bullshit. No game does.

ZZZZ

Some games cheat engine are a must for me, just for the speedhack feature.
The only reason i could finish games like FF XV or Shadow of the Tomb Raider, is because i could move at the speed of light every time i was doing side quests , walking through town or the normal backtracking.
I prefer to walk faster as well when playing CRPGS like Divinity and Pilllars.
It also helps a lot when doing multiple playthroughs of games like Darkest Dungeon and X-com.

I always mod my games to make them look better, add quests/skins/costumes when available.

Last edited:

NeoLed

I don't mod anything. I just play shit how it was intended. To me, it's important to maintain the initial vision for a work of art as closely as possible.

Games are art.
I agree with that mindset for 1st play through. But I will not want to relive avoiding 100 lightning strike again when I replay FF X for example. Sometime mods can better the experience too

junguler

Banned
i usually use mods/cheat for the technical stuff (fov, fps limit removal and such) unless it's a souls game, i'll use everything including the kitchen sink on those (offline obviously).

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I'll mod graphics depending on what the title is and what's out there. Recently installed Silent Hill 2 to see all the mods in action. But that's really about it. I don't do it often, but if a dated or bad port of a game can be better, I'm all about it.

Cheating though? Pfft.

GreatnessRD

Put simply, if you're a cheater, you're trash. And then 10/10 times you're still not at the top of leaderboards while cheating further proving my point of you being trash. lulz

But I'd mod graphics like in GTA, but that's it. Not really my thing.

Filthy console peasent here, but mods are the only reason I still play Skyrim and Fallout 4 regularly. I really wish more devs had the balls to open their games up to console mods, if it makes the game unstable I'll fucking deal with it at my own risk.

Sentenza

I love modding on principle even if it's rather rare to find a mod that matches my taste on how to "touch" an existing game for the better.

I just despise cheating. And I'm not even talking simply about "online cheating". I despised it even in single player.

This is where my op comes in to it.. i really don't know how it's more enjoyable?

But that's totally subjective. If you wanna tell me how it works for you, that's great. It just doesn't work that way for me.
I've played some of these games the "legitimate" way dozens of times. Sometimes you just want to change things up. Play through Quake with low gravity. Get infinite LAMs in Deus Ex so you can mine the entire 'Ton hotel and instantly vaporize all the UNATCO troops the instant they spawn in to arrest Paul. Keep the Boots of Springheel Jak after you finish the quest in Oblivion, then get your acrobatics skill to a point where you can jump over buildings and city walls. That sort of stuff.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I've played some of these games the "legitimate" way dozens of times. Sometimes you just want to change things up. Play through Quake with low gravity. Get infinite LAMs in Deus Ex so you can mine the entire 'Ton hotel and instantly vaporize all the UNATCO troops the instant they spawn in to arrest Paul. Keep the Boots of Springheel Jak after you finish the quest in Oblivion, then get your acrobatics skill to a point where you can jump over buildings and city walls. That sort of stuff.
Yeah, like i said in my op, i tweak games I've long since finished, like Morrowind, so I'm with you there.

That was a stupid comparison and you should feel bad for making it publicly.
Wwwwwwwanker.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really just depends on the game and how I'm feeling. Just recently I downloaded a trainer for Deus Ex: Human Revolution and added 100 Praxis kits to my inventory. The game doesn't have a new game+ mode and I wanted all my hard work to be in my second playthrough on PC. I haven't modded Skyrim or either of the Fallout games for fear of never being able to play the base game again...

Last edited:
Fuck that stupid waiting around shit in MGSV. It added no challenge and just made you have to wait for shit artificially making everything more "challenging" and laborious. Fuck that noise.

I love challenges, I almost always play my games on the hardest difficulty or even mod my games to be harder than what is available. But time waster shit? Yeah that can move the fuck on, not gonna waste MY time if I can help it.

That was a stupid comparison and you should feel bad for making it publicly. Those timers are literally just there to waste to your time and serve no purpose. MGSV does not need mobile game bullshit. No game does.

Yeah, OP put a fucking AWFUL comparison up there as an example. L.O.L. That comparison isn't even comparable to itself.

Last edited:

kikii

i cheated on resident evil 1 hd remaster on PC..only used trainer for inventory/storage thingy cuz fck that mindless running between location and storage :p in the end i bought RE Origins for ps4 so no cheats ^^

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Cheating? Man I don't even use guides. If I had a pc that could run games I'd mod shit eventually though.

No cheats or mods, I also don't understand people who immediately mute the game music in favour of some spotify playlist.
At least experience the thing as it is intended, before changing shit.

regawdless

Banned
In most cases, I use reshade to adjust the visuals to my liking. Love to use mods for new skins, quality of life improvements etc.

Very rarely use cheat engine. Last time I can remember, for AC Odyssey so I don't have to grind that much for resources and money. I gave myself some starting budget.

Pejo

The only time I used cheatengine was for Trials of Mana when I picked a class I didn't like for the last class change, and found out you couldn't change it again until after endgame when you got an item to reset it. I cheated items into my game that let me change it ahead of that.

Mods for visual/graphical changes I use all the time, usually stuff like uncensor mods and changing the playable character model. Sekiro particularly has great mods for that.

Modding gameplay or cheating or whatever, I've done it a few times, but only when the game get in the way of itself being enjoyable, never just to cheese past a boss.

notseqi

You must be fun at parties, big words for something very subjective.

What did I gain by hunting deer with bow and arrow in Oblivion for 1 year? I had fun. If I'm having fun I have already won.

The only reason to be mad at modders/cheaters is if and only if they cheat in an online game. Other than that, you should have no concerns over how some else plays things. It's the stupid political way of thinking. It's something I don't like so YOU shouldn't do it. It's childish. If a person is upset that someone modded/cheated in a single player game they either can't do it themselves and are secretly jealous or they're assholes or both.

Why the fuck you care how I play my games? I'll make a deal with anyone here. You buy my games for me and I'll play them how you want the first time through. Awful time-waster design decisions and all. Any takers? No? Thought so.

Last edited:

Eimran

I always tend to play the first run of the game as the developer intended.

afterwards if the game is good enough for a second run and allows it, I may do a fun round with trainers and mods enabled.

In some cases I already use specific mods which have no impact on gameplay (mostly graphics) or those which improve gameplay like SkyUI in Skyrim.

Last edited:
I mod games that let me extensively. If I can make the game look, perform and often play better I’ll do it.

I’ll do what I can to improve performance and tweak gameplay if I see the mod is superior to the vanilla game. If a game has a shitty menu system and I can implement a better one I’ll do it. If a game has z a shit camera and I can fix that I’ll do it too.

I don’t ever touch multiplayer games unless the game provides mod-friendly servers in which case it’s fun to mess around with different things with other players. Outside mod-friendly servers though, even a simple performance improvement mod would create an unfair advantage on my end which would defeat the purpose of playing competitively so I leave things alone.

Honestly, if it gets to the point where cheating is the only way I can enjoy a game, I would rather just play something else entirely. I only use mods to enhance my experience or to give me something radically different like Long War in Xcom. Quality of life things that lessen wait times, hasten repetitive animations etc. It can serve as pseudo dlc, like skins or weapons. Things like that. I never mod a first run and might never mod at all.

Cheating sounds utterly boring. Small dick stuff. It's like saying you enjoy hunting because you get your kicks from shooting caged animals. Like fucking why? You do you though. Personally I would just watch a let's play or something. It's not all bad, say you want to test the limits of a game, fight an unwinnable boss fight or start with end game powers. Doing it because you don't enjoy the game as it is though? Eh, you should play better games.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

I cheated in Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro: scrubs fail to git gud twice.
yeah idgaf I had fun rebalancing both games.

But in all honestly if I truly want the challenge I won't use cheats at all.
But other times i'm an old man and ain't nobody got time to git gud.
Other times I just want to make an otherwise 75 hour game more like 15 hours by "speeding up" the grind.
That backlog isn't going to beat itself.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

I cheated out the FUCKING STUPID GAME MECHANIC OF FALLING OVER in Death Stranding...So fuck you, Kojima, you overrated movie director wanna be.... :messenger_beaming:

I cheat unnecessary grinds that are designed to take up a player's time.

I almost never mod graphics, though.

Modding graphics, to me, is like when you go over to your uncle's house and see how fucked up his TV settings are. MotionFlow, crushed blacks, overdone sharpness, etc.

Edit: Actually, I sometimes use Nvidia's Freestyle Sharpening because it's actually quite good for games that use FXAA (blurry AA) and you can adjust the strength so that it's not overdone.

Last edited:

Fbh

Really depends on the game but I've downloaded and used all sorts of mods.
Sometimes it's a just a simple graphical mod like HD textures for some older game or removing an annoying visual effect, sometimes it's a larger graphical mod (though I mostly use them on replays) and sometimes it's gameplay altering ones.

The last 2 "cheating" ones I can remember was one which optimized stat gains in Dragons Dogma so I could get good stats for magic archer without having to play as a mage (never liked that system when playing through it the first time on Ps3). And I also downloaded a trainer to get the double XP in AC Odyssey when I reached a point where, despite having done quite a lot of sidequests, I would have needed to grind for XP for at least a couple of hours to move on with the main story. As expected, and if them selling the option for $10 didn't make it obvious enough, the game flows much better that way.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Playing Bethesda games without dozens of mods is basically heresy. I refuse to believe people play those games vanilla.
Pretty much this. I never mod games unless it's a Bethesda RPG.

lock2k

Banned
During the 16 and 32 bit console heyday I played the games normally and when I finished them I used cheats to have fun. I have no clue how cheat engines work on PC these days and I also don't know how to use mods properly. I would like to dabble on both. Does anyone have a good guide? I know there are a lot of cool graphic mods for Street Fighter but I have no clue on how to insert them.

I remember I had two saves for GTA San Andreas, in one of them I just finished the game normally. The other one was cheated so I could just spend time blowing helicopters and doing stupid shit. It was really fun.

Top Bottom