• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft's Wii U game "X" coming 2014 [E3 Trailer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe Nintendo actually plans to make an effort in North America this time. And more of an effort in Europe. Not sure how hard they pushed it in Japan initially, but apparently not very hard if a lot of people didn't pick it up until Operation Rainfall started and it got more attention.

Nintendo is a bit weird with how they handle their IPs. Seems like new IPs are given the sink or swim treatment, and if the game is reasonably successful they'll build on it and see how far they can take it. I suppose that approach makes more sense than the "make super expensive AAA game with a giant marketing campaign because everyone else is and hope it doesn't bomb" one.

Not the it says anything new, but has the translation of the description of this game on the Japanese page been posted yet? I noticed there's no description on the NA page.

Tetsuya Takahashi's team at Monolith Soft is developing a new game that builds on their experience from Xenoblade to create an enormous world for you to seamlessly adventure through.
During your adventure you, as the player, will ride humanoid robot's called 'Dolls', fly through the sky, and fight unknown enemies.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/software_lineup/software/monolithsoft/index.html

05_l.jpg

Sounds good, man.

Mlatador

Banned
I think the insane crowd's judgment is processed through the idea of Nintendo not deserving their money for a machine that is deemed worthless to them not only for lower power compared to the other new gen systems, but because of slow sales and lack of games. I think this crowd is going to be overwhelmingly silenced by this time next year when there are plenty of great games available to play, with many others soon to come.

As for the other crowd, I really don't think Wii U is so overpriced. $349 yes, but I think $299 would actually be a fair price. Going by the GPU and CPU threads, i've seen the Wii U is actually a really well designed piece of technology with some really exotic ideas and daresay, next-gen design going on under the hood. Ram is a huge bottle-neck in comparison to the other systems, but overall I think the idea of the Wii U being horribly designed and so severely outdated is blown way out of proportion.

Of course the gamepad itself being packaged with the system is the main reason it would be hard to sell the Wii U at the magical $249 price point, but costs overall will decrease and that will come in due time. As of right now without the games being present yeah it's not worth it, but if Nintendo can bring the price down to $299 for the premium and games like Super Mario 3D World, Wind Waker, DK and Mario Kart 8 are already out, then I really think that's a fair price.

Very good comment.

I see it like this:

- To me, with eveything (hardware + games) a 3DS offers, it's definitely worth 200. Grafix are good, games awesome - lots of fun

- To me, with everything (hardware + games) the Wii U offers, it's definitely worth 300 for a premium model. 250 for a basic model. Grafix, as this thread shows and E3 has shown, are definitely good + the games soon available + announced ones are awesome. So I definitely think 299 would be very fair price.

EVEN more so for people who already own a Wii, because you then don't have to buy 1 - 4 wiimotes, as you just can use your excisting ones. Having backwards compatible controller, in addition to backwards compatibiliy, is definitely a huge plus. That alone are savings of 50 - 200 dollar. On Wii U there will be lots of local multiplayer greatness, so those controlers will be needed.

B.K.

The thing that has me most excited about this game is the giant robots. So far they look as glorious as the mecha from Saga.

I hope they get Ishigaki back for mech designs. His designs were the best of Xenosaga's designs. Choco's designs were okay, but I prefer Ishigaki's designs.

D-e-f-

Banned
Not the it says anything new, but has the translation of the description of this game on the Japanese page been posted yet? I noticed there's no description on the NA page.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/software_lineup/software/monolithsoft/index.html

05_l.jpg

Sounds good, man.

That's pretty much what Iwata said during the ND abotu the game, save for the last sentence. Almost verbatim.

I hope they get Ishigaki back for mech designs. His designs were the best of Xenosaga's designs. Choco's designs were okay, but I prefer Ishigaki's designs.

Why does it matter? You've already seen the designs. If you already like them what do you care who made them?

tkscz

If you have an HDTV or monitor that does 120 Hz, you owe it to yourself to watch this trailer off the eShop running at 120 Hz. Just trust me on this.

onilink88

I remember the spider coming out of nowhere somewhere on the bionis leg. "Oh hey there's my quest ite....OH FUCK"

iEzJ2ziaNA6kC.gif

We need more of this, too.

Some of the pods contain baby spiders,

Yeah. I'd previously encountered them in Tephra Cave, which is why I expected, uh, giant baby spiders.

but others contain captured prey - Mysterious Barnaby clearly has a taste for giant gorillas.

Hadn't found out they captured prey and kept them alive in eggs/pods until that sidequest where you had to solve some kind of feud between the spiders and birds (that's what you were referring to, right, poweredbykimchi?). I admit, though, that spiders breeding with another... whatever to spawn gorillas was an unintelligent inference, but in my defense, I couldn't think clearly due to my mind reeling from the whatthefuckery of the situation . :p

I hope "dolls" is not the official term they go with in the translation =/

If it's an acronym (and I have a feeling it is, as it's a standard practice when it comes to naming mechs), I'm not sure they'd change it.

Anyways, did anyone notice these thingamabobs (right beneath the Doll)?

They don't look like monsters to me, neither do they look like natural formations. Can't say what they are, exactly, but they seem to be some sort of mechanical components to me. I don't think that, given their proximity to the giant ring thing, it'd be a stretch to suggest that they might've fallen off from it.

On a different note, I've read that Index going bankrupt topic (terrible stuff), and it seems like a handful of people believe that Monolith's creative freedom has been diminished under Nintendo's ownership (Xenoblade's relatively tamer plot than Takahashi's previous work has been brought up, for instance). Yet, I've searched and searched, and I see nothing at all that suggests anything like that. Er, am I missing something here?

Hiltz

I wonder what those light blue markers are that appear in some of the environments during the trailer. One of them appears at 0:59 and three at 1:07. I guess it may just be the new quest destination indicator or something.

tkscz

Done, ripped it actually from the JP Nintendo E3 2013 website with even better results (less compression because lol YouTube where I would've gotten the Direct vid anyway):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH_u9o6rCec

I am able to provide the url:

rtmp://nvd.nintendo.co.jp/nvd/mp4:software_lineup/monolithsoft/trailer_high.f4v

Alternatively if that url doesn't work, I can use Mediafire. :)

Edit: There's still compression.

The eShop trailer has the less amount of compression I've seen

I wonder what those light blue markers are that appear in some of the environments during the trailer. One of them appears at 0:59 and three at 1:07. I guess it may just be the new quest destination indicator or something.

Are you talking about those little blue orbs? I think those are just collectibles, similar to what was found in Xenoblade.

In other news, here is some more of Hiroyuki Sawano's work in Attack on Titan. I have to say that I'm still a fan of his work.

Hiltz

Are you talking about those little blue orbs? I think those are just collectibles, similar to what was found in Xenoblade.

In other news, here is some more of Hiroyuki Sawano's work in Attack on Titan. I have to say that I'm still a fan of his work.

Oh, not those blue orbs. I meant the blue sign post things. The first one can be seen right behind the blue orb where the big walking deer-like monster is at. The other 3 can be spotted in off in the distance in the middle of the screen where that giant dinosaur monster is shown during night time.

onilink88

Completely useless observations (?):

On the tower where the mysterious percentage appears, we see numbers fluctuating above it.

I originally dismissed the bottom set of characters as a random assortments of numbers and letters, however, when I watched that portion frame by frame, I noticed that, in its fluctuation, it never went passed the letter "E", so I thought to myself that it could have been numbers expressed in hexadecimal. Anyways, I transcribed and converted them to see what I'd get:

Hex.:
0BC614E - 56D0934
0BC614E - 055D42E
0BC614E - 1134ECA

Dec.:
12345678 - 91031860
12345678 - 5624878
12345678 - 18042570

Still can't make heads or tails of anything, but it's curious how the set on the left doesn't change (in that particular sequence, at least- the number itself is also curious). So, we've got decimals on top, a percentage in the middle, and hexadecimals on the bottom. Hmm...

Oh, not those blue orbs. I meant the blue sign post things. The first one can be seen right behind the blue orb where the big walking deer-like monster is at. The other 3 can be spotted in off in the distance in the middle of the screen where that giant dinosaur monster is shown during night time.

Oh, yes, those do seem to be some sort of indicators on points of interest. I noticed them in the first trailer as well.

Frodo

I've seen this trailer a few times by now, but it still impresses me each time.

Looks like there is so much to do *-*

Forkball

I hope "dolls" is not the official term they go with in the translation =/

They should call them Biomechanical Robotic Operating Sentinels, or BROS.

I'm surprised Nintendo isn't pushing this title harder, though it could still be a year and a half away. It is something completely new for Nintendo and looks very unique on the current gaming landscape. The biggest problem the game has though is that I'm not playing it this instant.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
They should call them Biomechanical Robotic Operating Sentinels, or BROS.

I'm surprised Nintendo isn't pushing this title harder, though it could still be a year and a half away. It is something completely new for Nintendo and looks very unique on the current gaming landscape. The biggest problem the game has though is that I'm not playing it this instant.

I think the fact they showed teasers so early is a good indicator they are going to push this game pretty hard once it gets closer to release. Despite being a 2014 game, they showed more of it back in January than we saw of many of their 2013 releases.

I just hope the audience responds and it sells.

Zaventem

Wow i'm late but holy fuck. This is going to get me to buy a Wii U. TBH i was expecting more gif quoting in this thread! Anyways made one of my favorite scene. I love the stockiness of it.

i9hj2e114FvO5.gif

onilink88

GameXplain's analysis is finally online!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLmtALXWLWc

Some stuff we covered in here, some other stuff and stuff in general :D

There's a lot that's... completely off in that analysis. But the things that bothered me the most are these:

This was a simple weather pattern change.

Massive battle in the sky, really? Those aren't ships, they're flying mutant decapod-like crustaceans and some manner of fish (the two things on its back remind me of those luminescent lure doodads that are on angler fish).

Ain't nothing mechanical about this guy. Seems to be some kind of lava monster.

Two things:

1) There's positively nothing biological about this thing- it's entirely mechanical.
2) As big or bigger than the lava monster thing? It should be apparent to anyone with working eyesight that this thing's larger by magnitudes.

I dunno, am I being pedantic here? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom