• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri Official Site Updated

Watching the controls videos from GT, I'm still a little uncertain. I was thinking that MH would be the perfect series for gesture based attacking, given that the weapons in MH are slower and more methodical, therefore frantic waggling wouldn't work. Also the camera during the swimming seemed a little bit clunky, not sure how well that'll hold up when the action in the water heats up.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Tenbatsu said:
PS2/PSP are scripted. From what I know, MH3 monsters will move around but am not sure if its real time, it will be very interesting if it it.

In the old MHs, when a monster leaves a zone, you could follow it as it zoomed past the other zones, there was no instant "teleportation". The monsters could even get stuck on the environment and leave you indefinitely waiting as long as they were stuck there.

The Wii version is still broken up into zones, so you're not going to see any differentiation.

The monsters have stamina, so they'll have more cues to leave their current zone, when they're hungry or weak but even then, the word "real-time" doesn't really apply.

Where did you even get the whole "real-time monster movement" from anyway? It's not mentioned once in the interview.

I was thinking that MH would be the perfect series for gesture based attacking.

Veterans of the game will attest to this, the combat requires a lot of accurate input/timing and is quite lengthy. Complex gestures will fuck it up.

Tenbatsu

Die Squirrel Die said:
Watching the controls videos from GT, I'm still a little uncertain. I was thinking that MH would be the perfect series for gesture based attacking, given that the weapons in MH are slower and more methodical, therefore frantic waggling wouldn't work. Also the camera during the swimming seemed a little bit clunky, not sure how well that'll hold up when the action in the water heats up.
I guess its due to the fact that the wiiremote (unless with wii motion plus) is not so accurate and will cause the person to get tired after a while so they never implement gesture based attacking. But I find this NMH style based controls quite interesting.

As for swimming, the direction where you adjust your camera will be where you swim. Majority of the camera in the videos are clunky might be due to the fact that the player are still new to the controls. Below is a better demonstration
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41424.html

Tenbatsu

spindoc said:
In the old MHs, when a monster leaves a zone, you could follow it as it zoomed past the other zones, there was no instant "teleportation". The monsters could even get stuck on the environment and leave you indefinitely waiting as long as they were stuck there.

The Wii version is still broken up into zones, so you're not going to see any differentiation.

The monsters have stamina, so they'll have more cues to leave their current zone, when they're hungry or weak but even then, the word "real-time" doesn't really apply.

Where did you even get the whole "real-time monster movement" from anyway? It's not mentioned once in the interview.
Here
In previous games, when you go from area to area, the areas reset. But in this game, the monsters will actually move around and migrate to different areas. So, it becomes vital for players to communicate with each other, because you'll have a situation where one area will change, and you can say "Oh, the monster is coming your way." This kind of information and communication become crucial to completing a quest.

The little tiny monsters will also behave like that.
Plus a few videos that I saw at Nico Nico, an area when revisited a few times, the monsters that are there changes. But I guess most likely it will be scripted, its hard to do real time.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Tenbatsu said:
Here

Plus a few videos that I saw at Nico Nico, an area when revisited a few times, the monsters that are there changes. But I guess most likely it will be scripted, its hard to do real time.

"The areas reset", refer to the smaller monster spawn in every zone. I'm interpreting they'll now be able to shift from zone to zone as well. The wyvern/bosses have always been able to do this. You could leave the game running and they would shift from zone to zone as per their programmed AI.

Tenbatsu

spindoc said:
"The areas reset", refer to the smaller monster spawn in every zone. I'm interpreting they'll now be able to shift from zone to zone as well. The wyvern/bosses have always been able to do this. You could leave the game running and they would shift from zone to zone as per their programmed AI.
Yap, thats how they behaved last time. But from what I know, the developers said that this is a new system so am not really sure. You should be right, its most likely scripted.

Nocebo

With the Classic Controller, you have to sit in a very set position. But with the Wiimote, you can do whatever you want. You can lounge, or you can even scratch your head -- it's just play as you wish.
YES! This guy, I love him. :lol That's why I like the Wii + Nunchuck too. I can just sit with my hand behind my head or whatever and one hand resting on my knee etc. with that setup.

Tenbatsu

11vi348.jpg

Guess I must be blind, Capcom already showed a new weapon which is the Spear in the TGS trailer. It might belong to the lance family as it is accompany with a shield just like the tribal weapon in the old series.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Tenbatsu said:
11vi348.jpg

Guess I must be blind, Capcom already showed a new weapon which is the Spear in the TGS trailer. It might belong to the lance family as it is accompany with a shield just like the tribal weapon in the old series.

Ever since they announced the underwater sections I've been thinking about this. It's possible that Capcom will separate spears and lances into two categories, the same way katanas and greatswords were split into seperate weapon classes from MH to MH2.

Tenbatsu

Another new stuff in the game.
2jds55x.jpg

There are birds(?) now that will fly towards the screen really fast and you have to catch it or something but in this screen the net is not usable so am not sure.

Tenbatsu

dqm2c7.jpg

Menu Translation:

Basic | Information (Quest Info I suppose)
- Item Pouch for Swordsman (Seems like different size pouches for different weapons. Gunners should be able to carry more stuff now which is a blessing)
- Mix
- My Set Mix (New. Customize your mixing preference?)
- Hunter Note (IR pointing function here)
- Action (Hunter's gesture?)
- Quest Retire

- Button | Map Zoom
+ Button | Change size of map?
1 button | Shortcut to Hunter Note

Tenbatsu

Eurogamer
There are few games as hotly anticipated in Japan as Monster Hunter 3. On the PSP alone, Monster Hunter games have sold more than five million copies in the region. Everybody on the jam-packed trains is playing it, and bringing out a PSP instantly prompts strangers to invite you into matches (why else would you own one, after all?). Monster Hunter 3's stand on the TGS floor dwarfed those of most publishers, and was consistently jam-packed with eager members of the public willing to wait three to four hours for ten minutes in its company. It is a national obsession.

And yet, here in Europe, the Monster Hunter games have almost universally failed to catch on. Reviewers criticise its punishing difficulty and slightly broken controls, unable to invest the necessary tens of hours that it takes to start reaping the games' considerable rewards, struggling along without millions of other players to explain the game's quirks, help with tough missions and generally make things easier. Most of the people who play Monster Hunter in Japan are casual gamers, eased through the difficult first ten hours or so by a helpful friend, high-level relative or friendly train-stranger. We are without that advantage, and so only the most hardcore, patient, accommodating players ever tend to find out just how good Monster Hunter really is.

Monster Hunter's producer Ryozo Tsujimoto reckons that the absence of an active player community is the underlying reason for Monster Hunter's comparatively marginal popularity in the West. "In Japan, people will teach other people, and part of that is environmental factors - the fact that people live very close together, that they are always using transport. Part of it is just being able to learn from another person, teach another person, and that makes it a little bit easier on people who might otherwise find the game to be too hard to play... We've been trying very hard to develop this community. It's important to us that it grows, and that has contributed to the success of the series."

Will this game change the series' fortunes abroad? Well, because it's on the Wii, and because the engine has been reworked to make the game slightly more accessible, it just might, assuming it gets released in the West. Tsujimoto wants to hear from you if you that to happen. "Monster Hunter 3 is out in 2009 in Japan, but we're really hoping to make overseas versions," he claims. "Please send us your mail, send us your feedback - let us know that you want your game!"

Monster Hunter Tri, as it is known, is a reworking of the Monster Hunter concept from the ground up. It's got a new engine, new weapon and armour trees, new controls built specifically for the Wii. That said, it's still very much the game we already know and love. It's still going to take a lot of time, effort and skill before you're able to confidently stride into the unknown in search of a massive dragon rather than being punished by tiny raptors a few metres outside your campsite. But the process of getting to that stage of competency will be much more enjoyable this time around.

Tri's structure remains the same as Monster Hunter 2's. Working from a village base camp, you pick up hunting quests and head out into the big wide world in search of your bounty. Monster Hunter is as much about the thrill of the chase as it is about fighting monsters - tracking your prey, foraging for helpful items and ingredients, observing a monster's behaviour from afar before even attempting to attack it, then embarking upon an epic, sometimes hours-long battle with it. Tri is set on a beautiful island paradise, with all the verdant jungles, atmospheric caves and tranquil beaches that such an environment entails. It is an exceptionally good-looking Wii game, even if most of the animation is recognisable from the PS2 version of Monster Hunter 2.

The change of scenery is not the biggest change that Monster Hunter 3 is making to established series convention. Monster behaviour is considerably different; where previously they only had eyes for the hunter, the feral inhabitants of MH3's island world pay attention to each other as well. Animals will interact with each other, flee from predators, and even get into minor tussles. "It's more like a savannah," explains Tsujimoto. "We've been able to do a lot of things that we haven't been able to do up to this point, with regards to how the monsters interact with each other. When you attack one, what might the other do? They don't just come after the hunter any more... Before, it was really digital - go there, do this, kill that monster - but now you have to really think about how you want to proceed and adapt to different situations. It's now more of a thinking man's game."

Monster Hunter 3 also features underwater hunting - many of the Tri's iconic, massive monsters are amphibious, forcing you to adapt to their environment. A generous oxygen meter ensures that fighting underwater isn't too frustrating, although each weapon's controls change significantly whilst your hunter is submerged. Players will almost always have the option to lure a monster onto dry land, but having options like this will undoubtedly make Monster Hunter a more varied game to play. There will no longer be just one successful strategy against any given leviathan.

Tsujimoto couldn't tell us anything about which new weapon sets will feature in Tri, but the demo missions offered us a choice between the staple greatsword, shortsword, hammer and crossbow (although our beloved gunlance was, lamentably, nowhere to be seen at this stage). The Wii controls, encouragingly, worked perfectly - swinging the greatsword felt satisfyingly natural, and the timing is generous enough to ensure that you can't accidentally mess up a combo attack with an unintentional movement.

The A button serves the same function as swinging the remote for the exercise-phobic, and the game will support the Classic Controller as well. There is no arbitrary waggling shoehorned into Monster Hunter 3 - casual gamers may well love Monster Hunter in Japan, but Capcom clearly isn't about to infuriate the series' hardcore players by forcing them to use motion controls.

Multiplayer, Monster Hunter Tri works both in two-player split-screen and online, and although we don't yet know the specifics of how this will work with the Friend Code system, we do know that it will be possible to play with strangers as well as people on your list. Hopefully this will help Monster Hunter to find what it needs to succeed in the West - a sense of community, and a sizeable player population helping beginners along through the rough times.

Even with broken PSP controls, Monster Hunter 2 is one of the most rewarding games in the world once you've cracked it. Monster Hunter 3 doesn't have that handicap, it's on the Wii, it looks beautiful, and it'll have online play that actually works. Hopefully all of that will make Western players more inclined to give it the time it needs to get under their skin. In the meantime, be sure to email Ryozo Tsujimoto at Capcom and tell him that we want this game in Europe. He really is listening.

Monster Hunter Tri is out in early-to-mid 2009 in Japan, with no American or European date yet announced. In the meantime, we can always play Monster Hunter 2 and wait for Monster Hunter Unite on the PSP, which is being released here early next year.
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=276095&page=1

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So is this game CC compatible? The Wiimote controls look shitty and too complicated if you ask me, at least in the vid demonstration I just watched.

edit: re: eurogamer preview

broken PSP controls? lolz

Tenbatsu

Error said:
So is this game CC compatible? The Wiimote controls look shitty and too complicated if you ask me, at least in the vid demonstration I just watched.

edit: re: eurogamer preview

broken PSP controls? lolz
Yes it is CC compatible but I am going to try the Wiimote controls as it is something new and seems interesting. Will resort to CC if its really bad thou.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Pal Release Confirmed ? YES ^^

PAL-Termine von Capcom

10.11.08 - Capcom hat neue Erscheinungstermine für Europa bekanntgegeben.

- 12.11.08: Super Street Fighter II Turbo Pinball FX (Xbox 360)
- Winter 2008: Flock (Xbox 360, PS3)
- Winter 2008: Neopets Puzzle Adventure (Wii, NDS)
- Februar/März 2009: Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360, PS3)
- 13.03.09: Resident Evil 5 (Xbox 360, PS3)
- Winter 2009: Bionic Commando (Xbox 360, PS3)
- Winter 2009: Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop (Wii) [wohl nicht in Dtld.]
- Frühjahr 2009: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP)
- TBA: Dark Void (Xbox 360, PS3)
- TBA: Age of Booty (Xbox 360, PS3)
- TBA: Capcom Puzzle World (PSP)
- TBA: Monster Hunter 3 (Wii)

gamefront.de

First time that it appears on the official Capcom PAL Releaselist.

Tenbatsu

-Site updated 10th Dec 08-
【重要なお知らせ】
一部雑誌記事において、「モンスターハンター3(トライ)のWii以外への展開」という報道がございましたが、当社においてそのような公表は一切、行っておりません。
シリーズ最新作『モンスターハンター3(トライ)』は、Wiiの特性を活かし、これまでにないモンスターハンターを創造するべく、鋭意開発を進めております。

株式会社カプコン

Game will remain a Wii exclusive. For now.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
So there's rumor/speculation on cngba from some interview of a Capcom PR type who's claiming that MH3's Wii exclusivity is no longer a given. I wonder how long before MH3 Portable hits...maybe I can hold out instead of splurging on a new console.

Google Translate said:
The most recent one on "Monster Hunter 3" interview, CAPCOM public: not yet taken a decision at this stage, "Monster Hunter 3" is the exclusive Wii game! The words "at this stage" is no longer the focus, with emphasis on the "not yet taken a decision Wii exclusive.

http://wii.cngba.com/wii_xw/2008120858460.shtml

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Tenbatsu said:
There's a thread about it already and Capcom just updated their site today to deny it. See above #530.

That sounds more like a cover for a PR slipup. Note how quick Capcom were to react to the interview. Why jeopardize any chance of the game's sales performance on the Wii? I'll take it at face value.

Tenbatsu

Its either that or there are money involved. Anw we all know that the game will be ported sooner or later, a toned down version at least.

Also, you can catch multiple fishes at a time now.
4r2uf9.jpg

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
There are new Jump Scans out there...looks awesome, any new informations ?

Tenbatsu

Nothing much, basically they are just introducing the new sea dragon Ragiakurusu and Rathian and talking about the new stamina system.

Learn more here:
- TGS MH3 Tri Presentation Video (This video demo the stamina of dragons. When they ran out of stamina, they cannot spit fire and will go look for food to replenish + some new system)
http://www.famitsu.com/fwtv/?71218810

Screens are new thou and they look gorgeous!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Tenbatsu said:
Nothing much, basically they are just introducing the new sea dragon Ragiakurusu and Rathian and talking about the new stamina system.

Learn more here:
- TGS MH3 Tri Presentation Video (This video demo the stamina of dragons. When they ran out of stamina, they cannot spit fire and will go look for food to replenish + some new system)
http://www.famitsu.com/fwtv/?71218810

Screens are new thou and they look gorgeous!

Any new info on a timeframe for release?

J-Rock

Banned
Fantastical said:
Is it just me or do the new screens look improved? It looks very good either way.

It's not just you. They better to me too. This game is impressing me more and more.

Kyoufu

I hope MHG isn't an old port. If it has the content from MH2 at the very least then I'll buy it, if not then I probably won't.

Top Bottom