• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: over 1m units shipped worldwide

Usobuko

Banned
I don't know if they count Asia in it since SEAsia and US share the same region. I do know mh4 is selling very here.

Regardless the sales are incredible.

L~A

Capcom shipped 2,7 millions in Japan (December 31th).

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Now is at least 3,7 millions. But they shipped a little more units (plus eshop sales) in Japan during this quarter too. So 3,8 millions seems the minimum.

Ah yeah, I remember that now, thanks a bunch.

Guess we're going to have to wait for their financial results before we get up-to-date ww shipments.

But yeah, that's pretty good news, especially the western sales. For once, Capcom was actually "sensible" when it comes to expectations... unlike MH4, ha ha.

Eolz

Awesome news, well deserved, and particularly impressive in such a short time (in the west).
Their list of deciding factors is right too.
The demo really shows how more accessible the game became and how easy it is to play online.

The best MonHun game yet, for newcomers and veterans alike. Really glad it sold that much in the west this time.
Wonder what their strategy will be for 5 from this (probably NX launch, but will we see a worldwide release this time?).

Condom

Awesome news, well deserved, and particularly impressive in such a short time (in the west).
Their list of deciding factors is right too.
The demo really shows how more accessible the game became and how easy it is to play online.

The best MonHun game yet, for newcomers and veterans alike. Really glad it sold that much in the west this time.
Wonder what their strategy will be for 5 from this (probably NX launch, but will we see a worldwide release this time?).
Worldwide is a must for the franchise to move forward, it just makes the most sense seeing these sales. Hope some first party company can help them with achieving this.

roknin

So glad to see this. I'm just sad that I haven't been able to out in as much time as Id like with the game yet.

redcrayon

I'd put a fair part of it's western success down to both reviewers finally becoming familiar with it, and finally having online play on the 3DS, too. I'm not too sure that the DLC/community/event quests stuff means much, that's been a constant for a while, but there was much more of a fanfare around this release. It being a fantastic computer game probably helps too :)

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Good job Capcom, MH4U is most deserving of success status. Changes made in the series for the better I don't think I could ever go back to TriG now.

Airan

Fuck yes. Looking forward to new releases. I just hope next time it's on a platform with a comfortable controller. The n3DS XL really isn't designed for prolonged hunting sessions :(

Or give us connectivity with a Wii U Pro Controller. That would be amazing.

Thoraxes

Fuck yes. Looking forward to new releases. I just hope next time it's on a platform with a comfortable controller. The n3DS XL really isn't designed for prolonged hunting sessions :(

Or give us connectivity with a Wii U Pro Controller. That would be amazing.

Psh, i've done 14-hour sessions already with a group of people doing local co-op!

Deserved. It is by far the best Monster Hunter game I've played and I'm not even a fan of the series. I think is a great start for newbies.
I'll be jumping in during the holiday season with 3DS deals so that's good to hear. I would rather play these things on consoles though tbh. No one is going to be playing MH with me locally lol.

Tom_Cody

I'm 150 hours into my first MH experience with 4U and it has become one of my favorite games and favorite series of all time. Easily top 5 for me.

Gino

I just bought 2 download copies for my monhun3 hunting partner and I.

The game is awesome. Every time we play though my fried says he wis he's it was on wii u.

Bruno MB

That's an outstanding performance for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate outside Japan. And unlike Monster Hunter Tri, the sell-through seems good considering it sold in North America near 300,000 units in its first month, and over 100,000 units in Europe in its first week.

I always thought that it would fall short of Capcom's expectations once its Japanese sales were revealed. But now, stronger than expected international sales will make up for the slightly disappointing Japanese sales. It's not that it sold bad there, far from that, but I feel they were aiming higher considering they expected it to sell 3.9 million units worldwide.

L~A

That's an outstanding performance for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate outside Japan. And unlike Monster Hunter Tri, the sell-through seems good considering it sold in North America near 300,000 units in its first month, and over 100,000 units in Europe in its first week.

I always thought that it would fall short of Capcom's expectations once its Japanese sales were revealed. But now, stronger than expected international sales will make up for the slightly disappointing Japanese sales. It's not that it sold bad there, far from that, but I feel they were aiming higher considering they expected it to sell 3.9 million units worldwide.

I assumed they would fall short of that, but still come very close to it (3.7m minimum). Wasn't expecting the great western sales either, but they've been building the audience for the past 2 years with MH3U (download codes for friends, etc...).

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm glad that Monhun has finally found a market in the west, I guess it could do another 500k if Capcom is lucky! Also is t 4G a expansion type of game or is it a brand new game? Sales look a little low in Japan

I thank Capgod for this awesome game.

I have reached a point in my life where I don't have time to play all the new releases, so it's nice to have one great game with incredible replay value. I'll keep playing it for years to come, until they release the next Monster Hunter game! <3

I assumed they would fall short of that, but still come very close to it (3.7m minimum).
Let's not forget the Korean release (March 26). I think they hit their target.

Alrus

I'm really happy this series finally broke the 1m barrier in the west this means at least the next mainline title is guaranteed to be released here.

Seems waiting for the G version before releasing it helped too.

The Sell-through for Tri ended up being good in the end no? Considering they shipped an additional 100k after the initial shipment (or something of the sort).

And this thread was going so well. Let's not go down this road please.

The curse of all MH threads, if somebody doesn't seriously bring up that discussion, someone else will do it ironically which inevitably bring up the serious discussion anyway :/

Glad to hear it has done well, MH4 is an amazing entry in an amazing series. I’m at 300 or so hours already.

The “DLC” claim sure is silly though. Content on the game card that’s periodically unlocked isn’t really DLC. Furthermore, Capcom’s handling of it is frustrating. Everyone plays through games at different paces. By the time Capcom sent the unlock codes out for some of this content my group and I were well into G rank. If the content is on the game card then I could do without the artificial DLC release schedule.

MegaMelon

Glad to hear it has done well, MH4 is an amazing entry in an amazing series. I’m at 300 or so hours already.

The “DLC” claim sure is silly though. Content on the game card that’s periodically unlocked isn’t really DLC. Furthermore, Capcom’s handling of it is frustrating. Everyone plays through games at different paces. By the time Capcom sent the unlock codes out for some of this content my group and I were well into G rank. If the content is on the game card then I could do without the artificial DLC release schedule.

Yeah that's my gripe as well. Sure, spread out the dlc so everything isn't available day one but at least have some stuff every month so everyone can enjoy no matter where they are in the game. Would it have killed them to give one or two g rank quests per month alongside the many low/high rank ones? In addition, it's frustrating when you can't upgrade your weapon because there's no g rank quest for that monster. DLC should add to the game with new stuff like the EX armours, not lock numerous quests behind a timer, preventing you from finishing a weapon in the base game.

Mupod

Great news, maybe this means they'll stop skipping over games.

You're thinking about it the wrong way. They're 'events' rather than traditional DLC. In the older online-focused console games these quests would only be available for a limited time and would cycle in and out, just something to keep people coming back and playing more. The portable titles just made it so they would be available all the time because they had no online, and moving forward they kept that format in 3G, 4, and 4G as they were handheld titles (aside from the Wii U port).

Greddleok

I'm glad I was part of that. It's the second MH game I've bought, and the first I've liked. I seriously think one of the biggest reasons it's done well is they cut out a lot of the obtuse bullshit in the previous games.

Also, a bunch of reviewers were able to write/talk coherently about it. That had a huge effect on my purchase.

RMI

Banned
well deserved! Glad to see that this game is reaching more people with each release. This is a definite improvement over 3U in multiple regards, so here's hoping that whenever 5 comes out they continue this progression.

Korigama

I'm glad that Monhun has finally found a market in the west, I guess it could do another 500k if Capcom is lucky! Also is t 4G a expansion type of game or is it a brand new game? Sales look a little low in Japan
It's an expansion. All of the old content of 4 with new content added, along with additional gameplay refinements/rebalancing.

An expanded version that contains all of the original. The world outside japan didn't get the regular MH4 localized at all. Those 2.5+ million 4g sales in japan are on top of the 4 million that MH4 sold there.

redcrayon

Amazing results, hopefully it keeps growing. Personal Goty so far, just incredible game.
Mine too, other contenders are going to have to be truly special to top it. It pretty much hits everything I want out of a computer game, offering me something to do whether I have 15 minutes spare or several hours, whether I have a wifi signal or not. The community is fantastic too, there's always someone happy to show you how to tackle something tough.

You're thinking about it the wrong way. They're 'events' rather than traditional DLC.
Well you can think of them however you would like. They are additional quests, already on the game card, that we cannot access.

I agree with MegaMelon on another point too, it's especially annoying when your armor or weapon upgrade is dependent on parts you can only get from these quests.

For example my friends and I played hundreds of hours of 3U. I planned out an armor set I wanted to make that required G rank Alatreon parts. Well, Capcom hadn&#8217;t unlocked that &#8220;event&#8221; yet so I had to wait. We played through the rest of the games content and by the time the quest was unlocked my friends and I were bored of 3U. I never got to make the set, and experienced the tail end of the games content without it.

Bruno MB

The Sell-through for Tri ended up being good in the end no? Considering they shipped an additional 100k after the initial shipment (or something of the sort).

Monster Hunter Tri shipped 1,150,000 units in Japan (these are lifetime shipments) and 690,000 units in the West during its first 6 weeks for a worldwide total of 1,8400,000 units. Monster Hunter Tri is currently listed in Capcom's Platinum Titles list with 1,900,000 units, since these are rounded numbers it could have technically received a 10,000 - 15,000 additional shipment after that. Also, we are talking about two massive regions, especially Europe. Maybe very few countries needed a new small shipment, while in other places there were a sizable amount of unsold copies.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/fy2010a.pdf - Page 16
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2010/1st/explanation_2010_1st_01.pdf - Page 10

Tom_Cody

Mine too, other contenders are going to have to be truly special to top it. It pretty much hits everything I want out of a computer game, offering me something to do whether I have 15 minutes spare or several hours, whether I have a wifi signal or not. The community is fantastic too, there's always someone happy to show you how to tackle something tough.
This is the element that takes it to the next level for me as well. It scratches every itch I have as a gamer.

Have 15 minutes and I want something relaxed? Gather, organize gear, or fish in Dundorma. (Or spend endless hours on kiranico perusing weapon and monster stats).

Have 15-30 minutes and I want something more intense? Tackle a caravan hunt solo.

Have 30-90 minutes and I want an involved session? Log in to the online Guild Hall and go on a batch of multiplayer hunts.

Top Bottom