• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: over 1m units shipped worldwide

KHlover

Banned
No they aren't in the game.

Every DLC takes a few MB of space, unlock keys are a few KB at most.

And even if they were...it's free. Most people wouldn't know it's on disk, so all they see is Capcom giving out free DLC, which results in positive word of mouth. Genius marketing.

Paid-for on-disk DLC is a different story, once word spreads people get angry. Monster Hunter "on disk" DLC? Only ever heard praise for that.

cheesekao

And even if they were...it's free. Most people wouldn't know it's on disk, so all they see is Capcom giving out free DLC, which results in positive word of mouth. Genius marketing.

Paid-for on-disk DLC is a different story, once word spreads people get angry. Monster Hunter "on disk" DLC? Only ever heard praise for that.
Relatively speaking, it's no where near as bad as paid on disc dlc but locking ready content behind an arbitrary time wall and trying to spin it as something positive is pretty silly.

Leezard

I think it's really lame that we don't get the dlc faster, but it is better than paid on-cart dlc at least.

Producer

Aren't the dlc already built into the game? They're basically giving us unlock codes on a monthly basis, something which I find pretty lame. They could learn a thing or two from soul sacrifice.

who cares, its free. Base game already has hundreds of hours worth of gameplay.

cheesekao

who cares, its free. Base game already has hundreds of hours worth of gameplay.
I would have had to wait God knows how many months to complete a weapon I really like if it were not for a good Samaritan who had access to the jp dlc. Like I said, it's relatively harmless but it's still dumb.

Condom

Awesome news, best Monster Hunter ever deserves the best sales. If only it sold a little bit more in Japan to catch up with MHP3rd (may still happen).

Aren't the dlc already built into the game? They're basically giving us unlock codes on a monthly basis, something which I find pretty lame. They could learn a thing or two from soul sacrifice.
Only for the Western versions. When it first came out in Japan it was dlc as described. They're just trickling it in every month to keep interest coming in. I mean you could release all the dlc at once and have one day of media presence. Or you can release a bit every month and have some press for your game every month. It keeps the game in public eye, which for the West is definitely needed. And like everyone else said. Its free so.

Much deserved. It's easily the best and most accessible entry in the series yet. Going back to the old ones feels very restrictive due to the increased mobility of 4. It's kind of nice to see a series that consistently gets better with each numbered entry.
I would have had to wait God knows how many months to complete a weapon I really like if it were not for a good Samaritan who had access to the jp dlc. Like I said, it's relatively harmless but it's still dumb.
Are the Japanese copies even compatible with the western ones? They usually aren't, so it's possible your good Samaritan is a save state hacker, of which I see plenty online.

cheesekao

Much deserved. It's easily the best and most accessible entry in the series yet. Going back to the old ones feels very restrictive due to the increased mobility of 4. It's kind of nice to see a series that consistently gets better with each numbered entry.

Are the Japanese copies even compatible with the western ones? They usually aren't, so it's possible your good Samaritan is a save state hacker, of which I see plenty online.
There was an exploit that allowed people outside of Japan to download jp dlc. Since the text is in Japanese, the text shows up as ?????????????? .

Condom

Only for the Western versions. When it first came out in Japan it was dlc as described. They're just trickling it in every month to keep interest coming in. I mean you could release all the dlc at once and have one day of media presence. Or you can release a bit every month and have some press for your game every month. It keeps the game in public eye, which for the West is definitely needed. And like everyone else said. Its free so.
Yup.

The current way is the way I like it. Way better than to have all 'DLC' at once IMO. It also wouldn't fit in the games context, event quests should be exactly that. Dumping everything at once would be the cheaper way of doing things, missing out on the excitement of new quests.

cheesekao

Yup.

The current way is the way I like it. Way better than to have all 'DLC' at once IMO. It also wouldn't fit in the games context, event quests should be exactly that. Dumping everything at once would be the cheaper way of doing things, missing out on the excitement of new quests.
They could at least release it on a bi-weekly basis. The pace they're going at right now is glacier and who knows when they'll release g rank quests. I hope I don't get burned out by then.

Is there a story to this game even if it sucks and does the game still have fetch this and that with their quest system?

There's a story, but it is rudimentary at best. You do have a recurring 'villain' monster though, which is cool.

There are a few fetch quests, but they're basically just a couple of the opening tutorial quest. You get to the actual large monsters much faster than older MHs.

Condom

They could at least release it on a bi-weekly basis. The pace they're going at right now is glacier and who knows when they'll release g rank quests. I hope I don't get burned out by then.
I agree that G rank quest should have been here sooner, seeing it's a release of the 'G' version of the game.

Main reasons quoted for success:

- demo release to win over new players
- free DLC
- community events
- simultaneous launch with the New Nintendo 3DS

Not that I'm complaining about free DLC, but was that really a significant factor in peoples' decision to purchase this game?

L~A

I wish they had also given us some numbers about the >actual< worldwide shipment. They were aiming for 3.9m by the end of the fiscal year, I wonder just how close they were to achieve that.

Gidim

Banned
I haven't picked the game up yet. I was hoping there was a slight discount soon to pick it up but seeing the sales, probably won't happen.

But... but... HD!

Jokes aside, this news is great. 1m in a couple of months is a wonderful result. The game might have some legs in the West so the 4m worldwide figure is not that unrealistic.

Also, the game is still quite pushed in stores (Italy, France) as far as I could see.

Vena

I wish they had also given us some numbers about the >actual< worldwide shipment. They were aiming for 3.9m by the end of the fiscal year, I wonder just how close they were to achieve that.

This is our last concrete number from Japan:

17./12. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.10.11} (¥6.264) - 6.100 / 2.498.432 (-9%)

So factor in the 1mil, and we're 3.5mil+. It will be close on reaching that 3.9mil but it might be a bit of a reach.

Pila

Great news!! :')

Buy this thing, guys. At least try out the demo. Plenty of people here are missing out on a great combat experience. Pick a faster weapon if you don't like the greatsword at first, give the game a fair chance because it takes a while.

Don't dismiss it "because 3DS". I bought the system because of this game and couldn't be happier, you really don't wanna skip this game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
YES! This grants the western release of future entries in the franchise, and maybe it's spinoffs too.

I really hope so!

17./12. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.10.11} (¥6.264) - 6.100 / 2.498.432 (-9%)

So factor in the 1mil, and we're 3.5mil+. It will be close on reaching that 3.9mil but it might be a bit of a reach.

Just to detail, those numbers don't count digital sales, but onthe other hand the 3.9 millions was a FY target (so, within end of March), so probably one thing compensate the other and basically you should be right: not (yet) achieved but near.

Just to detail, those numbers don't count digital sales, but onthe other hand the 3.9 millions was a FY target (so, within end of March), so probably one thing compensate the other and basically you should be right: not (yet) achieved but near.

Also, 3.9m is shipment, and in Japan they shipped more than 2.5m.

Not my type of game from playing the demo, but really glad these type of games still sell really well. It is what keeps the games industry ticking along.

Shengar

No they aren't in the game.

Every DLC takes a few MB of space, unlock keys are a few KB at most.
No, they are indeed within the game already. The existence of translated ticket items and dialogue of the episodic proved that the DLC we download are just the key to access them.

Still, it could be worse and this is acceptable for me. The game have so many content so gating some of them behind DlC will make the longetivity last longer.

L~A

Hmm. Looks about right. They probably came relatively close to their goal, and funnily enough, it looks like the "problem" came from Japan (I believe they clearly said they were expecting 2.9m in Japan alone, looks like it'll end up a tad short of that target).

Vena

Hmm. Looks about right. They probably came relatively close to their goal, and funnily enough, it looks like the "problem" came from Japan (I believe they clearly said they were expecting 2.9m in Japan alone).

They may well have a good bit more than 2.5 in Japan to digital, if we take a ~10% cut, that'd be 250k units.

hiska-kun

Capcom shipped 2,7 millions in Japan (December 31th).

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Now is at least 3,7 millions. But they shipped a little more units (plus eshop sales) in Japan during this quarter too. So 3,8 millions seems the minimum.

Vena

Eventually, expectations will be met unlike many people said, and surprisingly thanks to the West.

Either I am having a weird sense of deja-vu, or we had this exact conversation a few months back and you said the exact same thing only in the future tense.

... More reasonably, I think I can just see into the future.

mclem

Not that I'm complaining about free DLC, but was that really a significant factor in peoples' decision to purchase this game?

It might not be a conscious decision on the part of the consumer, but it would help to keep the game in the public eye for longer after the initial launch period.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Either I am having a weird sense of deja-vu, or we had this exact conversation a few months back and you said the exact same thing only in the future tense.

... More reasonably, I think I can just see into the future.

Shut up, Shulk.

Danneee

For me it was a big contributing factor in buying the game. Stuff like that needs to be encouraged and its good that Capcom seem to understand that.

Top Bottom