• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Online (Capcom/Tencent, CryEngine 3) officially announced

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
played the game yet?
As much as the other guy has played both of them I imagine.

It seems to be based off of the older Monster Hunter games rather than MHTri/MHP3rd/MH3U.

If hitboxes aren't fixed for this, I would be disappointed as hell.
It's an all new engine, I don't imagine they're somehow just import hitboxes... If they're bad they just did them badly.

Alexios

Not understanding how people are feeling threatened or trying to downplay this. It's finally a HD MH. This is great.
There have been three HD Monster Hunter titles before this. HD is just a set of resolutions. Portable 3rd PS3, Tri Ultimate Wii U, Frontier PC/360.

People aren't downplaying it for no reason, they're just being pessimistic given the very real circumstances surrounding it. Outsourced Chinese F2P MMO-ish game. Ok, some are outright dismissing it already but that's more to avoid getting their own hopes up I imagine. After all, almost everyone here posts from a PC so can likely play this if it's released worldwide (since again it doesn't look that demanding, especially if they still have the zones segmented as they seem to). If it's good, you can be sure even those of us worried about its quality will play it rather than merely try it out and quit. There are just as many if not more people pimping it hard for the wrong reasons before knowing if it's good as the others don't know if it's really bad anyway. Like being HD, having sharp textures, not being on 3DS, etc. We can't will it into being good by hype levels so don't worry about it.

For now I tend to side with the dismissal more for my own good myself, despite not even owning a 3DS yet (not planning to get a WiiU at all either) and having a pretty decent PC. So yeah. It's not about any threat.

lunlunqq

Why CryEngine? Tencent owns half of Epic Games. I thought UE3 or UE4 should have been their engine of choice. Hopefully this can become another major hit for them internationally just like LOL.

Thoraxes

I feel like i'm relieving Kingdom Hearts attitudes towards spinoffs in here.

I'll see what it's like before calling it shit or not, but just based on what we know, i'm not optimistic.

Wanny

No and I don't care. I'll take the game made by the main MH team any day.

Well good for you, but I'm certainly going to give it a try here. I played MHFU and MH3 for hundreds of hours and I really don't feel entitled to Capcom devs at all. It's the lack of proper online (PSPs) & bad platform choice (Wii U, 3DS) that I hate here. Capcom made their choice to go this path, and it's a path I'm not following. So yes, I'll naturally give that Tencent studio a chance.

Soriku

That's pretty short-sighted. I don't have high hopes for this game, but will at least try it out before making my opinion on the game final.

MH games are games you spend hundreds of hours on. I'd rather just stick to one for a time and if I had to choose a main MH team production vs. an outsourced game I know what I'd choose. Graphics be damned.

Anyway, I'm not belittling anyone for trying this. I'm just laughing at the notion of anyone laughing at the people playing MH4 while they're playing this. I'm sure the only thing this game will have over MH4 is graphics and graphics alone.

Onemic

ugh, an mmo monster hunter? This game will be shit, just like monster hunter now.

They should just make regular monster hunter with online support.

Alexios

They should just make regular monster hunter with online support.
They have and you still think it's shit so wut? Also, it's not the MMO part that would make it bad, Frontier could be dubbed such too but it's not like it ditched everything about MonHun, you still went on zoned mostly 4 player hunts and what not so that's not what made it bad either. Who cares how many people are in the city lobby anyway? It's the f2p part and the developer that are worrying me, not if it can or can't be called an MMO.

That's pretty short-sighted. I don't have high hopes for this game, but will at least try it out before making my opinion on the game final.
I don't think it's short-sighted. People have limited time, so expecting everyone to "try it out" before neglecting something is unrealistic. The reality is that companies need to convince us to spend our hours on something. That trailer showed some rather unattractive things, and did not persuade me to give the game a try. If they want me to try their game, then they need to try harder at making the game look worth playing.

Wynnebeck

Banned
MH games are games you spend hundreds of hours on. I'd rather just stick to one for a time and if I had to choose a main MH team production vs. an outsourced game I know what I'd choose. Graphics be damned.

Anyway, I'm not belittling anyone for trying this. I'm just laughing at the notion of anyone laughing at the people playing MH4 while they're playing this. I'm sure the only thing this game will have over MH4 is graphics and graphics alone.

Again, this is only speculation and nothing you can prove without having actually played the game. I can understand why some people would be dismissive but this is literally the same attitude we saw with Treyarch and Infinity Ward on CoD. "What!? Treyarch is making a CoD? It's going to suck! No way it can be as good as one made by Infinity Ward!" Then we actually played WaW, BlOps 1, and BlOps 2 and saw they were actually better than Modern Warfare. No way of making such a rash conclusion without having played it first.

Onemic

They have and you still think it's shit so wut? Also, it's not the MMO part that would make it bad, Frontier could be dubbed such too but it's not like it ditched everything about MonHun, you still went on zoned mostly 4 player hunts and what not so that's not what made it bad either. Who cares how many people are in the city lobby anyway? It's the f2p part and the developer that are worrying me, not if it can or can't be called an MMO.

I only have experience with the MH before the WiiU version, which I do think is a pretty shitty game. I forgot that the WiiU version does indeed have online.

My problem with it being called an MMO is that 95% of MMO's are utter shit and trying to emulate the WoW experience.

Soriku

Again, this is only speculation and nothing you can prove without having actually played the game. I can understand why some people would be dismissive but this is literally the same attitude we saw with Treyarch and Infinity Ward on CoD. "What!? Treyarch is making a CoD? It's going to suck! No way it can be as good as one made by Infinity Ward!" Then we actually played WaW, BlOps 1, and BlOps 2 and saw they were actually better than Modern Warfare. No way of making such a rash conclusion without having played it first.

Eh...sorry, but I'm not going to believe for a second that a Chinese company is going to make a better game than the main MH team that has been making these games for years. At least with Treyarch they have been at Activision and have made their own CoD games for a while.

Let me put this another way: If the main MH team was making MH4 for the PS3/360 or PS4/720 instead of the 3DS, no one would give a flying fuck about this. Except PC-only gamers, I guess.

Alexios

I only have experience with the MH before the WiiU version, which I do think is a pretty shitty game. I forgot that the WiiU version does indeed have online.
The PS2 versions also had online, the PC version had online, the Wii version had online, the next 3DS game will have online, the previous PC game didn't try to replicate the wow experience, this likely won't do that either, either way you don't like the game and only call it shit to attract attention as if anything you don't like is objectively bad (hint: not necessarily, not in this case) so why care to advice what they should or shouldn't do about it?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh...sorry, but I'm not going to believe for a second that a Chinese company is going to make a better game than the main MH team that has been making these games for years. At least with Treyarch they have been at Activision and have made their own CoD games for a while.

So racist. :p

Jokes aside, while I understand the sentiment, wait for the goddamn game. It's not going to detract anything from MH4 anyway, and who knows the extent that capcom is working with Tencent on this.

I'm looking forward to MH4 too but I'm willing to see how this turns out before deriding it. The only negative I can see so far from the information we have is "animations lol" without having to go off previously held prejudices.

It might not be the same quality as far as gameplay goes compared to the ones made by the main team but who knows? Might not be a bad option for PC players.

Let me put this another way: If the main MH team was making MH4 for the PS3/360 or PS4/720 instead of the 3DS, no one would give a flying fuck about this. Except PC-only gamers, I guess.

But they aren't. So your point is moot.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Well I'm not saying that Tencent is going to shine on Capcom's own team because unless they are completely overseeing it, it will be lacking things. However, your stance is based off of the assumptions that people are hating on the 3DS and are only gassing this game up because the graphics are actually decent. I'm excited because now Monster Hunter is no longer limited to the tiny screen of my 3DS/Vita and I can play it in the comfort of my office at my computer with great graphics and (hopefully) good gameplay. It being F2P isn't a barrier because the game's ideology is already one of grinding so it makes sense.

Onemic

The ps2 version also had online, the wii version also had online, the next 3ds game will have online, frontier on pc had online and didn't try to replicate the wow experience, this likely won't do that either, either way you don't like the game and only call it shit to attract attention as if anything you don't like is objectively bad so why care what they should or shouldn't do about it...

lol, when did I say whatever I think is bad is objectively bad?

And are you really trying to make the argument that most mmo's don't try to be WoW clones?

Alexios

And are you really trying to make the argument that most mmo's don't try to be WoW clones?
What are you talking about?

I just said the last PC Monster Hunter didn't try that and that it's likely this won't either from what we've seen. I didn't see anything like WoW in the videos, I saw everything like "normal" Monster Hunter, as good or not.

Again, the part that should worry anyone is the developer and the f2p model, not if it will suddenly turn into a huge sprawling world with countless samey quests and a combat system based on hotkeys or whatever.

Soriku

Well I'm not saying that Tencent is going to shine on Capcom's own team because unless they are completely overseeing it, it will be lacking things. However, your stance is based off of the assumptions that people are hating on the 3DS and are only gassing this game up because the graphics are actually decent. I'm excited because now Monster Hunter is no longer limited to the tiny screen of my 3DS/Vita and I can play it in the comfort of my office at my computer with great graphics and (hopefully) good gameplay. It being F2P isn't a barrier because the game's ideology is already one of grinding so it makes sense.

The 3DS and the graphics are a big reason for why some people are turned off on MH4. Even if it gets a Wii U port people will complain because they don't want a Wii U.

Anyway, I don't really care if people play this or not. But it's not going to be better than MH4.

Haunted

I guess the best possible outcome is that this game will be so good that Tencent considers a Western release and Capcom feels so shamed by their mainline games being outclassed by a fucking Tencent MMO that they actually put some damn budget and production values behind their next mainline game.

The worst outcome is that this is another one of those Chinese MMO in a long line of Chinese MMOs that feel cheaply produced, have aggressively offensive microtransactions and aren't available anywhere outside China.

Alexios

I guess the best possible outcome is that this game will be so good that Tencent considers a Western release and Capcom feels so shamed by their mainline games being outclassed by a fucking Tencent MMO that they actually put some damn budget and production values behind their next mainline game.
Right, because Capcom wouldn't have a say on if a Monster Hunter game can or can't be released worldwide and won't be able to profit from that either...

Dunno what production values you expect out of a portable series either with the 3DS dominating right now. I guess better textures and some graphics like the vines in 4 wouldn't be out of the question but it seems to me they're doing good work on the platform that can sell it the most for now, as well as on the series as a whole (the games do rock after all) so it's nothing about them being unwilling to do any effort or anything like that.

If it seemed like they could get similar money on home systems I'm sure they'd do way better visuals than what Tencent showcases here. Lost Planet 2 and Dragon's Dogma prove they can and do spend money on such.

Deep Down also I imagine. But it's also clear from one of these that they do feel you need different than Monster Hunter gameplay to do better worldwide and justify the budget, rather than just graphics improvements. So I guess the only way to get Monster Hunter next gen is to either see the sales go down so much that they try a complete overhaul which at the same time makes it more Western friendly (in which case we might as well call it a rebranded Deep Down or whatever) or for this to take off as you say and show them it's viable. Although in that case it could show them f2p nickle and diming is viable resulting in things fans don't want too.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The worst outcome is that this is another one of those Chinese MMO in a long line of Chinese MMOs that feel cheaply produced, have aggressively offensive microtransactions and aren't available anywhere outside China.

Yeah, hopefully not. My feelings on that happening is probably 50/50 now till we get more information.

Soriku

But they aren't. So your point is moot.

Right. But that's not the point. If Capcom was making a MH for those consoles, no one here would give this game a second thought. People only care about it because it's a MH game with decent graphics and not on the 3DS.

Codeblue

Well good for you, but I'm certainly going to give it a try here. I played MHFU and MH3 for hundreds of hours and I really don't feel entitled to Capcom devs at all. It's the lack of proper online (PSPs) & bad platform choice (Wii U, 3DS) that I hate here. Capcom made their choice to go this path, and it's a path I'm not following. So yes, I'll naturally give that Tencent studio a chance.

You should just say "and platforms that I don't own".

Wynnebeck

Banned
The 3DS and the graphics are a big reason for why some people are turned off on MH4. Even if it gets a Wii U port people will complain because they don't want a Wii U.

Anyway, I don't really care if people play this or not. But it's not going to be better than MH4.

lol No offense but this statement seems pretty salty. I respect your decision though.

wildfire

Banned

You do care because you have been shitting in this thread in every other page. I've seen your avatar so many times in this thread and none of the countless others I skim in Neogaf its nauseating.

Atleast now on the 13th page you finally made an argument more than "this game sucks because I said so."

Jaruru

LOVE THE WII U version so very much
Capcom picked the right direction hurray~

Soriku

You do care because you have been shitting in this thread in every other page. I've seen your avatar so many times in this thread and none of the countless others I skim in Neogaf its nauseating.

Atleast now on the 13th page you finally made an argument more than "this game sucks because I said so."

Huh? I literally ignored this thread for a while until I saw Mileena's comment, then people starting responding to me and I responded back.

You should probably pay more attention. In a couple of my posts, I wasn't even discussing this game either.

Qvoth

looks like the official site is updated with new stuff, i'll post any interesting things i find

s&s's special move is running jump combination attack
new beaver monster is called caeserber, its moves are belly ground slam (has quake effect), the tree swing we saw on the trailer, rolling attack, rock/soil throw
features of the starting town "milade town": restaurant (i guess the hotspring bath system is taken out in this game?), workshop, ancient dragon observation tower (it's basically in game information library or something), training ground
their official "twitter" account (chinese uses their own twitter called weibo) says in a few days they'll release the high quality version of the reveal trailer, the one all cg i linked on page 12

Qvoth

i know right?
lol
oh well, it's not like it's anything important anyway, my guess is it's like arzuros in mhp3, just an early game enemy

Dunno what production values you expect out of a portable series either with the 3DS dominating right now..

See that's the thing, until MH4 it wasn't a portable series. The main "numbered" games always came out on home platforms first, with updates Portable versions coming later. MH4 is the first time a true generational sequel has released first on a handheld platform.

And it sucks. Handhelds suck.

I just don't understand.
YwRXbhQ.gif

Alexios

See that's the thing, until MH4 it wasn't a portable series. The main "numbered" games always came out on home platforms first, with updates Portable versions coming later. MH4 is the first time a true generational sequel has released first on a handheld platform.

And it sucks. Handhelds suck.

I just don't understand.
YwRXbhQ.gif
You don't understand that the series took off on PSP for the local co-op socializing which is why it's now a portable series?

Or that it was far more feasible to do PS2 to PSP and Wii to 3DS than it would be to do current or next gen home console to 3DS?

Even if 4 was home console first it wouldn't look much if any better than a possible up port as they'd know it needs to be portable to 3DS.

Sucks for you. Rules for others.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Well MT Framework was supposed to be darn good at scaling, so no reason they couldnt have gone that route for a mainline and then uggo'd 3DS version ala those DMC4 PC lowest settings snaps that fooled people into thinking there was a PC version.

Alexios

Well MT Framework was supposed to be darn good at scaling, so no reason they couldnt have gone that route for a mainline and then uggo'd 3DS version ala those DMC4 PC lowest settings snaps that fooled people into thinking there was a PC version.
An engine being scalable doesn't mean that kind of production value becomes free. Nothing stops them from doing normal maps, high res textures, shader effects and everything else 3DS can't do in that game for a HD home console version even if it's an up port rather than the opposite procedure almost regardless of the engine used. As long as they have a reason to believe it's worth the cost. Who knows, maybe the textures of the 3DS version seem worse than Tri Ultimate because they're made with a home console in mind and then get downsized as opposed to being made with the low resolution in mind. But I doubt we can expect anything more than that for a hypothetical HD version as Capcom so far don't seem to think the series can sell enough worldwide to justify AAA production values without radically different gameplay which they attempt to offer with different series.

ShdwDrake

Banned
I'm just happy that it'll be on PC. I don't really like carrying around handheld systems anymore since I can play smaller games on my phone and when I'm home I like to play on my TV/PC.

It's sad because I was a huge advocate of handhelds but now I'm like why we got portables lols ( and before people get pissy these are my personal feelings and not a reflection of my views of the videogame market as a whole.)

You don't understand that the series took off on PSP for the local co-op socializing which is why it's now a portable series?

Or that it was far more feasible to do PS2 to PSP and Wii to 3DS than it would be to do current or next gen home console to 3DS?

Even if 4 was home console first it wouldn't look much if any better than a possible up port as they'd know it needs to be portable to 3DS.

Sucks for you. Rules for others.

So don't release it on the 3DS? If Japanese kids bought PSP's for MHFU then they'd buy Vita's for MH4. Then at least the rest of the world could enjoy the game the way video games are meant to be played -- on large TV's. I just don't understand why Capcom's flagship franchise is being demoted to handheld duty. MH3U for Wii U is great, but it's still just a half-assed 3DS port. WTF!

Santiako

So don't release it on the 3DS? If Japanese kids bought PSP's for MHFU then they'd buy Vita's for MH4. Then at least the rest of the world could enjoy the game the way video games are meant to be played -- on large TV's. I just don't understand why Capcom's flagship franchise is being demoted to handheld duty. MH3U for Wii U is great, but it's still just a half-assed 3DS port. WTF!

It's on 3DS because it's the most succesful platform in Japan, country that provides 95% of MH sales.

Ridley327

What

Jeels

Wow, the graphics look so much better than anything Capcom has crapped out. Really angry with how they've been treating the series.

Ridley327

Vita version would scale better to home consoles. Obviously.
Why? Any potential Vita version is going to look a lot more like the older games than taking advantage of what the Vita could actually do. That's how Capcom is able to make mad bank on these games.

Alexios

Lol, dunno if you're serious anymore.

Top Bottom