• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd announced

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Takao said:
Kaz is smiling because he knows for the first time in years one of his platforms has a legitimate shot at being the best selling platform in Japan. Unless a new Dragon Quest, or Pokemon main series get unleashed this year.

The first two gen five Pokémon were unveiled like last month.

Captain N

Tenbatsu said:
- 3 new monsters: 「雷狼竜ジンオウガ」「アオアシラ」「ガーヴァ」
- Bowgun will be using MHP2G system and not MH3

Dam MH3 bowguns system is soooo good:((

any word on voice chat?

Luigiv

KTallguy said:
What is the new Axe like?
Different. It slows you to a crawl and you can't block, which makes it a tad tricky to use, however it does have a nice variety of moves and combos.

Tenbatsu

spindoc said:
How do bowguns work in MH3?
You can actually mix and match the weapon parts in MH3. There will be a frame, a barrel and a stock. A weight of 29 and below will be a light bow (able to side step after firing), 30 - 70 will be a middle bow (able to roll after firing) and 70 up will be a heavy bow.

Eg. If you wanna carry more normal bullets lvl 2, you can actually find:
Frame with a stats of Normal bullets lvl 2 +3
Barrel with a stats of Normal bullets lvl 2 + 3
Stock with a stats of Normal bullets lvl 2 + 3

From there, you will have 9 normal bullets which you can fire before a reload. You can also equip skills like 'normal bullet up' thru armor combination which increase the amount by 3 more. However thats a limit to how many each bullets type a gun can hold.

Captain N said:
any word on voice chat?
Nope.

Someone hold me, I can barely contain myself from excitement. I'm ha having a heart attack. >___<

Infrastracture? TWO FELYNES? Wow, I even drew the idea of Felynes getting armor carved from monsters like Rathalos.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Tenbatsu said:
You can actually mix and match the weapon parts in MH3. There will be a frame, a barrel and a stock. A weight of 29 and below will be a light bow (able to side step after firing), 30 - 70 will be a middle bow (able to roll after firing) and 70 up will be a heavy bow.

Eg. If you wanna carry more normal bullets lvl 2, you can actually find:
Frame with a stats of Normal bullets lvl 2 +3
Barrel with a stats of Normal bullets lvl 2 + 3
Stock with a stats of Normal bullets lvl 2 + 3

From there, you will have 9 normal bullets which you can fire before a reload. You can also equip skills like 'normal bullet up' thru armor combination which increase the amount by 3 more. However thats a limit to how many each bullets type a gun can hold.

Damn, that sounds amazing. Sad to hear it won't make it :(

Tenbatsu

mmwsjm.jpg

23rww0l.jpg

20igza0.jpg

35kl93n.jpg

1znbhn4.jpg

Captain N

Takao said:
Kaz is smiling because he knows for the first time in years one of his platforms has a legitimate shot at being the best selling platform in Japan. Unless a new Dragon Quest, or Pokemon main series get unleashed this year.

I have a feeling a brand new Pokemon will be launching with a brand new DS this fall. Sony would love a brand new Monster Hunter Portable at the PSP 2 launch.

john tv

Oh snap Shiren the Monster Hunter

It looks good but after Tri it's a bit of a visual letdown. To be expected, tho. Still gonna play the bejeezus out of it when it launches!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Too much Tri (and 2nd) for my tastes. The debut trailer showing off mostly old monsters isn't much of a good sign. Though, the bear looked kinda cool I guess. If there are a lot more new monsters then I'm in (and if it has free online).

Poyunch

It might just be me but I actually prefer the color scheme they used for this than Monster Hunter tri. I always felt MH3 looked a bit washed out.

Sounds good but can someone explain why Capcom couldn't have kept it on the low just a little longer while Tri was rolled out in NA? I mean, it's not a port, but give the franchise a little breathing room for Christ's sake. Seems a little shitty considering how far Nintendo's going to promote Tri. Capcom just can't seem to help themselves.

Luigiv

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Sounds good but can someone explain why Capcom couldn't have kept it on the low just a little longer while Tri was rolled out in NA? I mean, it's not a port, but give the franchise a little breathing room for Christ's sake. Seems a little shitty considering how far Nintendo's going to promote Tri. Capcom just can't seem to help themselves.
I guess they figured it wouldn't hurt Western Sales. I mean the only reason I can think of as to why they waited until now, rather then unveil it at TGS, was because they wanted to make sure that Japanese sales were well and truly dead. I think Capcom learnt something from RE4.

I was gonna buy a Wii + that MH3/CC bundle just for MH3.

Not anymore. I hated the bloom in the demo. Portable version seems to have more content, and NO BLOOM, and is actually colorful and not blurry/washed out.

No more question. Thanks for saving me money Capcom, I'll buy MHP3 day one, I just hope it doesn't take forever to get to the US.

I rather like that shiren the wanderer hunter armor vibe going on there. Also the inclusion of a bear, feral wolf, & hot springs looks rather enticing.

Tenbatsu

From the PV:
- All MH3 stages are in (with water areas taken out)
- Weapons/armors are all from MH3.
- MH3 weapons new moves are in.
- A new blast move for gunlance

MH3 Monsters:
Great Jaggi
Qurupeco
Roarudorosu
Barroth
Rathian
Beriorosu
Agunacotol
Gigginox

MHP series
Tigrex
Nargacuga

New:
A wolf and a bear

Rainforest without underwater section.... :/

Luigiv said:
I guess they figured it wouldn't hurt Western Sales. I mean the only reason I can think of as to why they waited until now, rather then unveil it at TGS, was because they wanted to make sure that Japanese sales were well and truly dead. I think Capcom learnt something from RE4.
I guess. I just don't see where the benefit is when Tri's release is so close and Capcom's getting major backing from Nintendo. It seems counter productive. It would've been nice to finally get a top notch 3rd party Wii game without any whiff of the usual stigma as a sort of control sales experiment. Tri already got that chance in Japan, and performed really well. I don't see why they didn't hold off on making an announcement for 6 weeks and give the title the same opportunity in NA. This just muddies the whole issue of 3rd party Wii support again.

Any way you slice it a new title is good news for fans of the series, I just question the timing. It seems like Capcom is always snubbing Nintendo a bit, even when they're supporting them.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I doubt MHP3's performance or hype in Japan will effect MH3's Western Release.

Wolf Akela said:
I was gonna buy a Wii + that MH3/CC bundle just for MH3.

Not anymore. I hated the bloom in the demo. Portable version seems to have more content, and NO BLOOM, and is actually colorful and not blurry/washed out.

No more question. Thanks for saving me money Capcom, I'll buy MHP3 day one, I just hope it doesn't take forever to get to the US.

You say all of this as if this announcement were somehow a surprise.

Tenbatsu

I guess Luigiv is right, those new monsters are dam ugly. Definitely not by the main team but rather the frontier ones.

Tenbatsu said:
From the PV:

MH3 Monsters:
Great Jaggi
Qurupeco
Roarudorosu
Barroth
Rathian
Beriorosu
Agunacotol
Gigginox

MHP series
Tigrex
Nargacuga

New:
A wolf and a bear

So its like a MH3 port and not a MH3 port at the same time?

also i like that bear

Regulus Tera said:
I doubt MHP3's performance or hype in Japan will effect MH3's Western Release.
It's always struck me as the type of series that fans follow closely, regardless of their own region. If it's announced in Japan western gamers already know release elsewhere is inevitable. It may not be make or break, but I don't think it's a complete stretch to think knowledge of future iterations could affect how ardent followers of the franchise consider each release. Once again, where is the potential benefit in not giving Tri a few weeks to leave a footprint just to be sure? What is the upside to announcing it prematurely when it's still got plenty of time in development?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
GrotesqueBeauty said:
It's always struck me as the type of series that fans follow closely, regardless of their own region. If it's announced in Japan western gamers already know release elsewhere is inevitable. It may not be make or break, but I don't think it's a complete stretch to think knowledge of future iterations could affect how ardent followers of the franchise consider each release. Once again, where is the potential benefit in not giving Tri a few weeks to leave a footprint just to be sure? What is the upside to announcing it prematurely when it's still got plenty of time in development?

They're differentiated enough. You're talking about fans potentially passing on playing MH3 NOW for waiting for at least another year and a half to play MHF3 (If they do decide to bring it over that is)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
GrotesqueBeauty said:

something something PSP sales in the West something something

Dra-Q

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
From the PV:

MH3 Monsters:
Great Jaggi
Qurupeco
Roarudorosu
Barroth
Rathian
Beriorosu
Agunacotol
Gigginox

MHP series
Tigrex
Nargacuga

New:
A wolf and a bear

So, parts are from Monster Hunter Tri and parts are new? Well, I'll get my PAL copy of Monster Hunter Tri for Wii, sorry but I loved the water sections in the trailers :D

Acosta

sprsk said:
I hope they don't (They will I'm sure) charge for this.

haha

Anyway, looks nice and all, but I'm pretty sure it will have the same shortcomings and problems the series has had since the beginning, especially regarding to world exploration. I just pray they have improved the controls/camera for this version.

And guys, don't worry about Tri in west, is not going to sell anyway :p

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I'm going to assume localization efforts are going to take over a year and a half for this game to come out. Fantastic news regardless.

DMeisterJ

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
I guess. I just don't see where the benefit is when Tri's release is so close and Capcom's getting major backing from Nintendo. It seems counter productive. It would've been nice to finally get a top notch 3rd party Wii game without any whiff of the usual stigma as a sort of control sales experiment. Tri already got that chance in Japan, and performed really well. I don't see why they didn't hold off on making an announcement for 6 weeks and give the title the same opportunity in NA. This just muddies the whole issue of 3rd party Wii support again.

Any way you slice it a new title is good news for fans of the series, I just question the timing. It seems like Capcom is always snubbing Nintendo a bit, even when they're supporting them.
They announced Tri in 2007 even before 2G/Unite came out in JP/NA.

So did they 'snub' Sony too?

DiscoJer

Jangaroo said:
I'm going to assume localization efforts are going to take over a year and a half for this game to come out. Fantastic news regardless.

Siliconera has a story on this

Update: Capcom sent out a press release confirming the news and an international release under the name Monster Hunter Freedom 3. This version introduces new regions, monsters, and a revised Felyne combat system. Look for Monster Hunter Freedom 3 in the West in late 2010.

So...shrug...seems like it will be localized quickly. Hopefully some other site will post the actual press release to be 100% sure.

Top Bottom