• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise Hype countdown

Whats gonna be your main weapon

• Total voters

Pejo

I too have this locked in for day 1, will be a great weekend hopefully. I also dig the art direction Rise is going for, and then Stories 2 later this year. My one and only gripe since I first laid eyes on 'em, the wyverians. Why can't I play one? Any rpg I play something other than a hume-y, generally an elf. Or centaur. But seriously I could at least put elf ears on my character in Dragon's Dogma, but not this? I demand four digits. They are so beautiful and cool. Especially the twins in Rise. Still though really looking forward to the new game.
They likely don't want to have to model armor for various races. World eventually added wyverian ears as a layered armor, so maybe we'll get that again. I was disappointed to find out that the armor doesn't actually go over top of the base model, it becomes the base model for that body part, which is why armor mods on PC are tied directly to specific pieces.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Belmonte

I hope the normal difficulty in Rise doesn't takes as much time to open as in World.

I get they wanted a more friendly game to get the series in the mainstream but only after 70 hours+ MH World started to feel like Monster Hunter to me. And I'm not a pro Monster Hunter player with millions of hours.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My one and only gripe since I first laid eyes on 'em, the wyverians. Why can't I play one? Any rpg I play something other than a hume-y, generally an elf.
That part I agree, I wanted to make my character look like Narmaya in GB Versus.
tenor.gif

I hope the normal difficulty in Rise doesn't takes as much time to open as in World.

Well currently Magnamalo is kicking my ass in the demo.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

I get they wanted a more friendly game to get the series in the mainstream but only after 70 hours+ MH World started to feel like Monster Hunter to me. And I'm not a pro Monster Hunter player with millions of hours.
Yeah I hope so too. At least the demo was kinda hard? I carted once or twice to Arzuros, and a buncha times to Mizutsune before taking it down.

That part I agree, I wanted to make my character look like Narmaya in GB Versus.
tenor.gif
9ce.png

Last edited:

Jadsey

Anyone know how this plays on a Lite? specifically, is it a hand cramping game on handheld?

I’m thinking of getting one and this game might tip me over the edge!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Anyone know how this plays on a Lite? specifically, is it a hand cramping game on handheld?

You'll get a skewed answer, just because it is Monster Hunter. Many of us played the game for years on 3DS and PSP with awkward claw hand positions or cumbersome third party controller add-ons. Compared to that, Switch will work perfectly well.

But yeah, the game has constant 3D movement and camera movement, so obviously a pro-controller would be best.

Danjin44

This is why I tell people to just buy normal Switch instead of lite, this game plays vastly better with pro controller.

Pejo

Anybody know if Twitch Prime is still doing free Nintendo Online promotions? I remember reading about it a long time ago but I don't know what the conditions are and searches are showing really old results. I REALLY don't want to have to pay Nintendo for online.

Jadsey

You'll get a skewed answer, just because it is Monster Hunter. Many of us played the game for years on 3DS and PSP with awkward claw hand positions or cumbersome third party controller add-ons. Compared to that, Switch will work perfectly well.

But yeah, the game has constant 3D movement and camera movement, so obviously a pro-controller would be best.
Yeah, I played MH once on 3ds and my hand got rigor mortis!

I had a regular switch but sold it when I bought a 4K TV as it looked awful.

Might have to wait for the Pro rumour to come true!

Rathalos

Banned
I have the collectors edition ordered but I've completely lost my hype since upgrading my PC, I just want to game on that beast. I'm hoping when it's in my hands I'll regain my hype as I was really looking forward to it.

Danjin44

I have the collectors edition ordered but I've completely lost my hype since upgrading my PC, I just want to game on that beast. I'm hoping when it's in my hands I'll regain my hype as I was really looking forward to it.
Fight Magnamalo in the demo, that will bring your hype back or make you want to break your controller, which ever comes first. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Skifi28

Using charge blade, I wasn't too comfortable in mobile mode. Trying to press x+A for a forward attack I would often just roll instead while storing phials with ZR+A was for whatever reason a nightmare to get right. Went with a controller for the rest of the demo and didn't look back.

Jadsey

Using charge blade, I wasn't too comfortable in mobile mode. Trying to press x+A for a forward attack I would often just roll instead while storing phials with ZR+A was for whatever reason a nightmare to get right. Went with a controller for the rest of the demo and didn't look back.
Thanks, this answers my question.

I'll hold until the Pro and hope I can get one before 2030 :)

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

I'd buy the Pro Controller which works with the Lite if I was you. The Lite drift is a common issue and you'll be smashing this game so it might be an L but it's what I'm doing.

Danjin44

I'd buy the Pro Controller which works with the Lite if I was you. The Lite drift is a common issue and you'll be smashing this game so it might be an L but it's what I'm doing.
Wouldn't be easier just get regular Switch with pro controller? You would still have the option to play it portably and even have the option to change Joy cons if they have drift problems.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The price of this game is tanking in the UK. £34.85 from Shopto and it comes with the steelbook and keyrings.

Danjin44

My timing has improved a little, I'm much more used to timing of his attacks.
UB9tKec.jpg

But how the hell others can beat this guy under 8 minutes?

Last edited:

Danjin44

From what I saw on YouTube, their timing is perfect and utilized wyvern rider and trap to the max
Yeah, I guess they make zero mistakes. I used his own hellfire against him, when his full rage mode his hellfire does more damage.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I have a feeling Malo (is that his nickname yet?) will be a pain as a hammer bro. Topic needs a poll to see who will main what weapons.

Danjin44

I have a feeling Malo (is that his nickname yet?) will be a pain as a hammer bro. Topic needs a poll to see who will main what weapons.
Done.

Hammer can stun the monster much faster and do some serious damage but most part you have to use hit and run tactics since Hammer doesn't have any defensive moves.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'll be fiddling with the GL, but in the end I know I'll main the CB as usual. I love that versatility.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I wish there would be huge OT like before on Neogaf. I would participate but I'm so bad on a computer!

Anyway, 7 more day to go guys! Yeahhhh

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Question for a new comer (played a few hours of World and Gen. Ultimate) best weapon class for agility but dealing decent damage? Dual Blades? Not touching the demo.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Question for a new comer (played a few hours of World and Gen. Ultimate) best weapon class for agility but dealing decent damage? Dual Blades? Not touching the demo.
Dual Blades and Sword and Shield are both fast, but very different playstyles. With the new wirebug, the agility of many weapons is greatly improved. Insect Glaive is generally the most acrobat and movement based.

Really give them all a try (the game will have a practice area) and see what you enjoy using.

Last edited:
Looking forward to this. I'm going with Insect Glaive (Why isn't it called the Kinsect Glaive?) because I like to jump around a lot.

GymWolf

The more i play the demo trying with all my will to like rise, the more i love returning to world...

I don't know why the fuck they erased some moves from iceborne like the clutch claw or the mines for the gunlance, and i readed thaf they cancelled cool moves from other weapons too, why not just add moves instead of substitute them?

The demo locations is ugly as fuck, a lof of grey with some green here and there, some bamboo and some jap threes, it looks like poor man tsushima (and when i say poor i mean dirty poor) i don't know how people can prefer this thing to the luxuriant forest in world (first area vs first area) and i saw the trailer thaf show the other locations and i still can't get how someones can prefer these against stuff like the crystal location or the lava location or the coral highland in world...i love world's locations to death.

And what about the endemic fauna?! The game looks dead compared to world, i know it's a switch game and there is some limit to maintain the framerate semi-stable but this feels like a considerable step back, i absolutely loved the rich ecosystem in world.

Also the framerate is kinda shitty on docked mode, i readed that it's probably unlocked so it has wild fluctuation, maybe it is locked in mobile mode but i never play thaf way...but ps4 version was also framey so...

Also i really don't like the new mounting mechanic, it makes the monster looks silly and far less minacious when you can act like a damn puppeteer with them, i like more how it was in world tbh.

And don't let me start on the graphic or some framey animations for the monsters or the fugliest blood spill effect that i ever seen in a game...

I'm not even sure if the pc version can solve some of these problems.

It really feels like a mobile version of world and not a step further.

Even after all of this i don't know if i'm gonna be there at day one like you guys because i'm an easily to hype moron and more monster hunter is always good...

Anyone here share some of my sentiments?!

P.s. sorry for the english, i 'm not ever sure if luxuriant is a real word or not...

Last edited:

Danjin44

all i do is DMG
In Magnamalo fight I can avoid his dangerous attacks with counter and still damaging him, since you only have 15 minutes you damage him as fast as possible while avoid getting one shot killed.

Also the framerate is kinda shitty on docked mode
Put over 100 hours in to the demo and I had no framerate issue, it runs pretty solid to me.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Fight Magnamalo in the demo, that will bring your hype back or make you want to break your controller, which ever comes first. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Yeah but that is artificial difficulty, you can't choose your weapon\armour\build and his life is upgraded compared to the final game, also only 15 minutes.

It's like the world's demo with nerdgigante, in the final games he was noticeably easier compared to the demo.

GymWolf

In Magnamalo fight I can avoid his dangerous attacks with counter and still damaging him, since you only have 15 minutes you damage him as fast as possible while avoid getting one shot killed.

Put over 100 hours in to the demo and I had no framerate issue, it runs pretty solid to me.
Maybe you are not sensible to framerate hiccups?! I only played like 6-7 hours and i noticed something, not terrible but not locked either, but onestly that was the last of my problem (not really but i had 200 hours on ps4 so i'm kinda used)

Top Bottom