• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise Hype countdown

Whats gonna be your main weapon

• Total voters

Pejo

Gold Member
Lance with a faster killing time than HBG and GS?! what fucked up timeline are we living right now?!
Keep in mind this is using the default loadouts and as Nehezir Nehezir mentioned, the weapons are all standardized. If HBG could customize its loadout I'm sure it'd be faster as it always seems to be the speedrun weapon of choice. I was a little shocked that Longsword is nearly twice as fast as bow, but I guess you shouldn't underestimate how the counters allow you to be nearly always on the offensive.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
underestimate how the counters allow you to be nearly always on the offensive.
That’s was my tactic beating Magnamalo. Counters allows me avoid attacks and damaging him at same time.

The risk is you miss those counters, get punished hard.

Last edited:

GymWolf

# of completed hunts. Admittedly I've spent less time in World than I did Tri(1.2k hours World vs 4k)so eh.

bow has historically been very element dependent and datamining has showed us that the demo weapons are elementless 140 raw offerings.
Can i call you master?

GymWolf

that'll get me lynched because I'm kinda mediocre. I Just play a lot.
I mean, after all these hours you probably have enough finger memory and knowledge to actually slay a real life barroth at the very worst...

Do you know if there is a way to replay MHW campaign from the beginning with all the cutscene etc. but with all my materials, equips and stuff already unlocked, like a new game+ ?!?

Because i want to start a new run with a new weapon, but the idea of grinding for everything for the third time is a letdown, on the other hand, having everything unlocked diminish the sense of progression of the game, i don't know what to do...

Last edited:
I'm surprised and kinda disappointed how weak bow was in this iteration. Based on the solo speedrunner community, it's dead last.

This chart is for the demo Magnamalo

jzV9Rr0.png
What does the blue coloring mean?

Danjin44

The more I fight Magnamalo the more I love the fight. There is a huge satisfaction countering his moves sets.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
What does the blue coloring mean?
I think it's how recently the record was broken. Here's the full doc

I completely forgot that I already paid for Rise. Looks like I'm not actually skipping the Switch version :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I was also feeling nostalgic for World and fired it up for old time's sake. Lots of people are still firing up SOS and high HR/MR aren't that common so I guess the game still gets new players.

GymWolf

most of DSP's fanbase enjoys roasting him.
I'm about to start a new campaign in world, still undecided about the weapon, i was thinking LBG or HBG or switch axe, do you have any last minute advise for a guy who only played lance\gunlance\bow in his 500 hours of MH experience?!

Is the charge blade ok even if i don't use the more advanced moves like that pointguard something etc.?

Last edited:

Nehezir

Banned
I'm about to start a new campaign in world, still undecided about the weapon, i was thinking LBG or HBG or switch axe, do you have any last minute advise for a guy who only played lance\gunlance\bow in his 500 hours of MH experience?!
Swaxe has a lot of animation commitment but it's damage and moveset are dope outside of the kinda iffy sidehop/sidestep in sword mode(which is where the big daddy damage is).
For both bowguns, I recommend waiting til master rank before you get into them. but guns are VERY individualistic and you have to keep in mind how each one changes when customized.

Try insect glaive and stay on the ground if you want a good, consistent damage weapon with a pinch of complexity/utility.

GymWolf

Swaxe has a lot of animation commitment but it's damage and moveset are dope outside of the kinda iffy sidehop/sidestep in sword mode(which is where the big daddy damage is).
For both bowguns, I recommend waiting til master rank before you get into them. but guns are VERY individualistic and you have to keep in mind how each one changes when customized.

Try insect glaive and stay on the ground if you want a good, consistent damage weapon with a pinch of complexity/utility.
I already tried the Swaxe in the past for a couple of hours but the lack of agility made me bail out...

i don't really like aerial combat or having to manage the insect so insect glaive was never in the mix (i tried it briefly in the past but it never clicked).

If i'm not interested in elemental or status effect builds but i only care about raw damage i can keep like 2-3 bowguns instead of 10 like when i was a lance user and i had a lance for every element or status affliction.

I don't think that managing only 2-3 weapons can be such an hard task, or maybe i don't understand what you said.

I'm watching the tutorial for the charge blade and fuck me this weapon have so many moves, i usually remember like 1/4 of them but here it seems like you need to at least meorize the moves to fill the vials rapidly and the move to store the vials etc.
I like the concept tho because you have both a shield and powerfull attacks.

Nehezir

Banned
I already tried the Swaxe in the past for a couple of hours but the lack of agility made me bail out...

i don't really like aerial combat or having to manage the insect so insect glaive was never in the mix (i tried it briefly in the past but it never clicked).

If i'm not interested in elemental or status effect builds but i only care about raw damage i can keep like 2-3 bowguns instead of 10 like when i was a lance user and i had a lance for every element or status affliction.

I don't think that managing only 2-3 weapons can be such an hard task, or maybe i don't understand what you said.

I'm watching the tutorial for the charge blade and fuck me this weapon have so many moves, i usually remember like 1/4 of them but here it seems like you need to at least meorize the moves to fill the vials rapidly and the move to store the vials etc.
I like the concept tho because you have both a shield and powerfull attacks.
Swaxe is a weapon I don't really play a whole lot. I don't really really like the moves and some of the cancels use really narrow windows that don't click in my head.
Aerial moves on IG basically do like 20% of the damage of other ones. It's awful. Most of the time you spam this one short combo that's basically Y+B>B>B and it does a good chunk of damage(requires red buff but white buff helps)
Basically every gun in World has a different recoil rate with different shots and also needs to stack different amounts of recoil reduction mods onto it to get it down so you can fire continuously. Good Guns are the ones that need as few of these as possible so you can put more damage boosting mods. This is the case for both LBG and HBG. Generally speaking you will maintain 1 gun per shot type(Spread is most mainstream shot type but in some matchups Pierce is close or as good. Normal is somewhere in the middle) but if you really hit it off you can fiddle with others like having a rapid normal 2 LBG build with the Taroth Support gun and a rapid normal 3 gimmick build using the Raging Brachy gun. some of them can do some nutty shit.

Charge Blade's moves are worth sorting out tho. and make sure when you hit endgame post-safi you start looking into elemental. easiest way to rack up elemental weapons is to do kulve for kjarr weapons, and the safi armor is just too good to use as a flexible armor set.
Gqsv7JE.png

I did this to the final boss of Iceborne, event quest version. Taking advantage of element on CB, and on the right fight? Dumps massive bursts of damage on things.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Swaxe is a weapon I don't really play a whole lot. I don't really really like the moves and some of the cancels use really narrow windows that don't click in my head.
Aerial moves on IG basically do like 20% of the damage of other ones. It's awful. Most of the time you spam this one short combo that's basically Y+B>B>B and it does a good chunk of damage(requires red buff but white buff helps)
Basically every gun in World has a different recoil rate with different shots and also needs to stack different amounts of recoil reduction mods onto it to get it down so you can fire continuously. Good Guns are the ones that need as few of these as possible so you can put more damage boosting mods. This is the case for both LBG and HBG. Generally speaking you will maintain 1 gun per shot type(Spread is most mainstream shot type but in some matchups Pierce is close or as good. Normal is somewhere in the middle) but if you really hit it off you can fiddle with others like having a rapid normal 2 LBG build with the Taroth Support gun and a rapid normal 3 gimmick build using the Raging Brachy gun. some of them can do some nutty shit.

Charge Blade's moves are worth sorting out tho. and make sure when you hit endgame post-safi you start looking into elemental. easiest way to rack up elemental weapons is to do kulve for kjarr weapons, and the safi armor is just too good to use as a flexible armor set.
Gqsv7JE.png

I did this to the final boss of Iceborne, event quest version. Taking advantage of element on CB, and on the right fight? Dumps massive bursts of damage on things.
Shit, thanks, a lot fo stuff to digest.

Can i fight the gold creature without that laborious group quest? there is a normal hunt for him now? i stopped playing the game before the last 2 dlc dragons were introducted and never really fought the taroth or the gold rathalos\silver rathian in the post end game mode.

Last new creature i fought was the normal version of the thunder monkey and barely won against him.

Nehezir

Banned

Can i fight the gold creature without that laborious group quest? there is a normal hunt for him now? i stopped playing the game before the last 2 dlc dragons were introducted and never really fought the taroth or the gold rathalos\silver rathian in the post end game mode.

Last new creature i fought was the normal version of the thunder monkey and barely won against him.
MR Kulve Taroth is still generally a group endeavor because of the time limit. it's probably possible to do enough damage to kill it solo, but for the vast majority of players it's gonna be a group hunt.
Safi got singleplayer scaling tho.
Also, uhh...these are meme vids but

At least Chilled Tiger does go over the moveset for you. It'll be good to see when he cancels abilities.
and this is just a favorite.

I personally don't like World's Rajang. And it's for a really simple reason: No chill/downtime. Rajang embodies the more annoying aspect of World's fight design/balance state. Because of..well, a lot of stuff, everything is extremely fast with little to no downtime and does shitloads of damage. Rajang still has openings. But because everything is so turbo in this game, you'd be forgiven for thinking he doesn't because he just seems to never stop.

Herny got it right.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Day 6
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u7.jpg

My god how can people watch this whiny cunt for more than 3 minutes?!

Of course the comments are disabled
What I hate more than anything is they blame the game itself because they themselves don’t know how to play the game.

I don’t know why some people expecting to be pro at the game as soon as they pick up the controller. And if it’s his first time playing Monster Hunter why is he fighting Mizutsune instead of easier monster like Great Izuchi?

Last edited:

Everything that matters in Iceborne now scales to the number of players. The siege for Kulve is for HR, the MR version is an actual hunt. It's arguably easier to get weapons from the HR version but no one likes actually doing the siege. The hunt is relatively simple but it doesn't actually give weapons. Instead it gives items that will let you meld for them. Melder has also been changed, you can no longer meld snipe to save on the materials, you get weapons in a specific order and there's no skipping what you get. I really don't advise going for elemental weapons unless you want to grind a lot. Well, except for LBG. Alatreon LBG covers all elements. Most would say that Aquashot is still better for water and it is but if you only have one Aquashot, you're better off using it for stickies. Alatreon LBG is weaker but it's much easier to use since it has recoil +1 and with fast reload while Aquashot usually goes recoil +1 with and slow reload. Raw LBG is ok but I much prefer HBG for raw. Except for normal shots. Taroth Support for normal is fun with how zippy and safe it can be. But yeah, Taroth means subjecting yourself to the Kulve gacha.

If you're still considering going for HBG then that should also be much less grind because elemental HBG is absolute shit. All you need is raw. You also no longer need to hope for Spread/Pierce/Normal decos, they're all directly meldable now. It should be smooth sailing once you get to Zinogre and craft a Loyal Thunder.

Kuranghi

DSP is such a dingus haha. Diablo 3 is just as "complicated" but if you play from the beginning you'll learn how it all works. Trying to jump into the game with all the stuff unlocked and its not the start and then saying you don't want to learn how the game works lol, what a wally.

"I don't want to play for 15 hours to learn the game", try one hour to start with :messenger_tears_of_joy:

"Its the same thing over and over", what a reduction! Football is just doing the SAME thing over and over, score goals! Rinse and repeat! No tactics or complexity there... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm off to play Diablo 3 in DSPs honour.

TheKratos

There are people who want to put zero effort in to games and expecting to button mash and win and if they can’t it’s games fault.

Funny thing is MHW is very accessible. I played MH1 online on PS2 and had no clue wtf to do in the beginning lol. Was just gathering herbs and shit, catching fish, killing tiny monsters until.

Killing Rathian felt like an amazing feet because I did so many quests to prepare to fight Ian.

Kuranghi

There are people who want to put zero effort in to games and expecting to button mash and win and if they can’t it’s games fault.

Amen, as an example I know you'll appreciate it, it took me a few hours to really "get" the gravity switching in GR. Feels so good when you master something, it helps to have a good buddy giving tips but just taking a step back and thinking about it rather than trying to do everything in real-time always is silly.

Danjin44

Amen, as an example I know you'll appreciate it, it took me a few hours to really "get" the gravity switching in GR. Feels so good when you master something, it helps to have a good buddy giving tips but just taking a step back and thinking about it rather than trying to do everything in real-time always is silly.
Exactly! The reason I loved Gravity Rush’s traversal system because you actually have to put little effort to get good at using its Gravity powers just Kat herself getting used using her powers for first time.

Nehezir

Banned
Funny thing is MHW is very accessible. I played MH1 online on PS2 and had no clue wtf to do in the beginning lol. Was just gathering herbs and shit, catching fish, killing tiny monsters until.

Killing Rathian felt like an amazing feet because I did so many quests to prepare to fight Ian.
in MH1 there actually were skills and neither I nor my friends even knew it til after we beat the story three times.

GymWolf

Day 6

What I hate more than anything is they blame the game itself because they themselves don’t know how to play the game.

I don’t know why some people expecting to be pro at the game as soon as they pick up the controller. And if it’s his first time playing Monster Hunter why is he fighting Mizutsune instead of easier monster like Great Izuchi?
It's not even that, at one point he whines about the characters moving towards the camera and not in the direction of where he moves the stick...hell fucking O, there is an option to change that in the...options menu.

why professional streamers never watch the fucking options before starting.

The word dingus was created to fit this guy...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Everything that matters in Iceborne now scales to the number of players. The siege for Kulve is for HR, the MR version is an actual hunt. It's arguably easier to get weapons from the HR version but no one likes actually doing the siege. The hunt is relatively simple but it doesn't actually give weapons. Instead it gives items that will let you meld for them. Melder has also been changed, you can no longer meld snipe to save on the materials, you get weapons in a specific order and there's no skipping what you get. I really don't advise going for elemental weapons unless you want to grind a lot. Well, except for LBG. Alatreon LBG covers all elements. Most would say that Aquashot is still better for water and it is but if you only have one Aquashot, you're better off using it for stickies. Alatreon LBG is weaker but it's much easier to use since it has recoil +1 and with fast reload while Aquashot usually goes recoil +1 with and slow reload. Raw LBG is ok but I much prefer HBG for raw. Except for normal shots. Taroth Support for normal is fun with how zippy and safe it can be. But yeah, Taroth means subjecting yourself to the Kulve gacha.

If you're still considering going for HBG then that should also be much less grind because elemental HBG is absolute shit. All you need is raw. You also no longer need to hope for Spread/Pierce/Normal decos, they're all directly meldable now. It should be smooth sailing once you get to Zinogre and craft a Loyal Thunder.
Does anyone really enjoy these group quest or assault like for taroth or zorah magda or the fatalis one? i don't know why they still try...keep the assault but gimme a fucking normal hunt :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

tbh i'm still deciding what weapon i'm gonna use, now i'm even looking at sword and shield :lollipop_squinting:

I kinda feel nude without some sort of shield, that' probably why i'm gonna choose the heavy version if i go with bowguns (and yeah a raw damage build was the only option for me, i don't really care for status effect)

Last edited:

Danjin44

This kind of stuff is why I shiver every time a dev says they will implement "quality of life" features and will "evolve" the gameplay. For many modern gamers evolve means simplify and make everything like the last game they played.
So far MH developers still keeping interesting combat and "quality of life" mostly towards menu design and how you use items. Magnamalo fight in the demo showed they can go crazy hard if they want to.

Some people complain about for not having proper tutorial but even then with most detail tutorial, the only to get goo at each weapon is to practice.

Last edited:

Nehezir

Banned
Does anyone really enjoy these group quest or assault like for taroth or zorah magda or the fatalis one? i don't know why they still try...keep the assault but gimme a fucking normal hunt :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Get 2-3 bros in discord, a couple beers or mixed drinks, and hit the grindstone. Great time, still moderately difficult from time to time unless you're really good. These monsters can catch you by surprise. Same for safi, really. You just go in, chat a bit, try to catch a group that gets at least some progress, and see which one kills it first. Usually towards the end all the parts start breaking so fast it snowballs into like 2-3groups killing at the same time.
Also, Fatalis is a traditional hunt.

World is a lot like DS3. It's basically an online co-op party game. Better when you either bring your own crew or use it as a chance to make friends.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Day 6
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u7.jpg

I’ve played MH2 to World. Dabbled in 1 and 2. I by no means am an expert. With 3 and 4 I basically played a quarter or half of what the game offered. Granted that was time well spent. In World I did about as much. I never truly hit that point where I felt OP. Honestly it’s more work for me to break it down than any other action RPG on the market. I think that’s how MH stands out. It isn’t cryptic, but it’s also not a walk in the park. So with that being said... will that move set do that to any monster or what level are we talking about in order to obtain that sorta attack animation from a weapon? I’d like to pull that stuff off, but I’ve mainly been all about 1 or 2 hits, run away, rinse and repeat. I realize you have to build a weapon, but is that move set only available during a crit hit or with a certain build of a weapon? I have stayed pretty vanilla each time I play a MH game. I do have Rise preordered though.

Danjin44

will that move set do that to any monster or what level are we talking about in order to obtain that sorta attack animation from a weapon? I’d like to pull that stuff off, but I’ve mainly been all about 1 or 2 hits, run away, rinse and repeat. I realize you have to build a weapon, but is that move set only available during a crit hit or with a certain build of a weapon? I have stayed pretty vanilla each time I play a MH game. I do have Rise preordered though.
We still dont know how we gonna unlock new moves and Silkbind Attack in Rise but it could be same way we unlock Hunter arts in MHGU.
sOaWVTL.png

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
What are some of your hopes and fears for the game? I hope it has more content (monsters and areas) than World and that the music is generally as good as in the demo.

I fear it has the same or even less difficulty than World, but at least it doesn't look like that'll happen based on the demo.

Last edited:

Nehezir

Banned
I’ve played MH2 to World. Dabbled in 1 and 2. I by no means am an expert. With 3 and 4 I basically played a quarter or half of what the game offered. Granted that was time well spent. In World I did about as much. I never truly hit that point where I felt OP. Honestly it’s more work for me to break it down than any other action RPG on the market. I think that’s how MH stands out. It isn’t cryptic, but it’s also not a walk in the park. So with that being said... will that move set do that to any monster or what level are we talking about in order to obtain that sorta attack animation from a weapon? I’d like to pull that stuff off, but I’ve mainly been all about 1 or 2 hits, run away, rinse and repeat. I realize you have to build a weapon, but is that move set only available during a crit hit or with a certain build of a weapon? I have stayed pretty vanilla each time I play a MH game. I do have Rise preordered though.
to perform that move(Called the Zero-Sum Discharge, ZSD), a swaxe user simply has to use their sword mode a lot until the meter around their swaxe gauge fills up and starts to glow light blue, and then while in sword mode, they press Y+B/Triangle+Circle and land the hit. You can be knocked out of it because it doesn't have superarmor but it does loads of damage.

In iceborne, while the sword mode is charged in the same state, you can perform this attack directly from the clutch claw grapple animation.

This is me doing it two and a half years ago, in base MHW. I think I had like 5 mixed drinks in me, so the gameplay is kinda scrubby.

Last edited:

Belmonte

So far MH developers still keeping interesting combat and "quality of life" mostly towards menu design and how you use items. Magnamalo fight in the demo showed they can go crazy hard if they want to.

Some people complain about for not having proper tutorial but even then with most detail tutorial, the only to get goo at each weapon is to practice.

I was talking more about videogames in general. Monster Hunter evolution has a lot more good than bad in my opinion, but not without the pressure of some modern gamers like the gentleman in the video trying to make it like every other franchise.

About Rise, I'm a little bit worried all the power ups and tools you can get with the fauna will mean preparing for the hunt will be even less important. The camp mechanic of World already made it less important since you can restock, switch equipments and itens. It was fun to improvise and make the best I could when I already spent the tools in the previous titles.

Nehezir

Banned
I think the expedition system kind of necessitates the camp system(because it's endless hunting mode) but I don't like changes like cool/hot drinks. I'd rather the game just....remind hunters when they accept a quest in the tundra/desert that they don't have it.

Kinda like how in Gen U they tell you upon selecting a quest that you don't have hunter arts equipped. The game can know this.

Danjin44

About Rise, I'm a little bit worried all the power ups and tools you can get with the fauna will mean preparing for the hunt will be even less important. The camp mechanic of World already made it less important since you can restock, switch equipments and itens. It was fun to improvise and make the best I could when I already spent the tools in the previous titles.
I get what you coming from but we still have to eat our meal before the hunt and bring items to cure status effects from Monster's attacks, I would be more worried if the change the combat to the point that it becomes typical action game and can button mash way through the fight without thinking about your positioning and learning Monster's attack patterns.

Nehezir

Banned
I get what you coming from but we still have to eat our meal before the hunt and bring items to cure status effects from Monster's attacks, I would be more worried if the change the combat to the point that it becomes typical action game and can button mash way through the fight without thinking about your positioning and learning Monster's attack patterns.
I feel like drawing the line purely around the combat/crafting itself a bit narrowsighted. or rather...there are more things to hold precious than just the "core".

Danjin44

I feel like drawing the line purely around the combat/crafting itself a bit narrowsighted. or rather...there are more things to hold precious than just the "core".
Well we all have different reason why like MH series and for me its core combat system but that being I still enjoy preparation process for hunt like eating your meal but I can't say I care much about cold/hot drink even from the beginning.

Nehezir

Banned
Well we all have different reason why like MH series and for me its core combat system but that being I still enjoy preparation process for hunt like eating your meal but I can't say I care much about cold/hot drink even from the beginning.
I like all of those things. Every single part of monster hunter is why I love the franchise.

Belmonte

This would be a tragedy, I agree. But I don't want the game to be just a boss rush with amazing combat. I like the planning and hunting aspect of it also so I hope they don't dimish this part even further. They didn't take planning out completely in World. Like you said, you need to eat your meal before the hunt. But even that you can do in camp even if it is not as powerful as the Palico meal.

A good middle term would be have the camps, but for some hunts, there aren't none.They could explain it like "the area got too dangerous for setting the camp this time, so you need to go alone". Monster Hunter 4 expeditions in the Everwood had a similar concept.

Don't get me wrong, I think Rise will be an outstanding game. I liked all the additions they made for art, combat and exploration and the only reason I won't get it day one is because a Swtich is outrageously expensive in my country, so I will need to wait for the PC version.

tbh i'm still deciding what weapon i'm gonna use, now i'm even looking at sword and shield :lollipop_squinting:

I kinda feel nude without some sort of shield, that' probably why i'm gonna choose the heavy version if i go with bowguns (and yeah a raw damage build was the only option for me, i don't really care for status effect)
As Nehezir said, Fatalis is pretty much a regular hunt. Iceborne doesn't really have sieges in the same way as Zorah and MR Kulve. Also SnS shield is practically useless, just saying.

Top Bottom