• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise |OT| A Whole New World

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Anybody up for doing these egg delivery subquests in HR? I feel like they're easier with 2 people. Also, can we just admit how stupid it is that you can't either put the eggs on your dog's back or ride the dog while carrying the eggs? I get why they do it (because the devs hate us and keep putting delivery quests in the games), but I mean come on. Our dogs can attack 50 foot beasts, climb straight up vertical vines, for hundreds of feet, use (or presumably read) scrolls, wear armor, but they can't carry a fucking egg while I defend them.
You can still use wirebugs while carrying the eggs as long as you dont fall too high.

Last edited:

Brazen

Yea I don't get the whole system. Why even bother letting us pick a skill we want to aim for when 9 out 10 times it turns into some random other bullshit? I feel like it should guarantee at least the skill you aimed for + a chance of a random skill.

That's not the worst of it. Your character has a predetermined Talisman table, and it sets a predetermined RNG list of sorts. As you meld you go down the list one at a time. If your table is good (as in somewhere on this list your table has good talismans) you'll eventually get that good talisman in 1, 10, 100, 1000, 100000 , or however many melds it takes to get to it on your predetermined list. If your table is bad, you'll never ever see that good/perfect talisman come because its not on your list. Some predetermined RNG list are short as they'll recycle back to the start after a thousand melds or so and some are longer. Yes that's right, when you reach the end of your predetermined RNG list it just cycles right back to the start.

Now the chances of getting that "perfect talisman" with two great lv2 skills for your build, a lv3 deco, and 2 lv1 decos? About 1 in 400 billion or so, I assume that chance is factored on whether you get a good table when you created your character. So if there's no perfect talisman for you build on that table, then the chance drops down to "never" for that character.

Last edited:

perkelson

i am pretty much finishing gathering hub alone. i am at 6 stars and imho i have love hate relationship with it.

Pros:
- Kamura village is comfy as hell. Best village after Poko.
- After bleh world weapons finally each weapon is different instead of iron/bone variations + rare unique weapon
- Music is fucking great and themes are amazing. Much better than abomination Astera one and still way better than Seliana
- I like theme
- New monsters are pretty good but pretty easy at the same time. Only titular monster is awesome.
- Finally you can see people in village aside from gatherring hub and design of village forces everyone to interact.

Cons:
- Rampage is garbage. Everyone always hated those scripted fights and now you have even more cannons and other crap. It is just not fun to play.
- Game on paper is bigger than base World. But half of monster literally are trash mobs from other mh games. Moreover monster like Ludroch which always was basically Great Jaggras of previous games is supposed to be "hard monster". Instead of porting really good ones like fan favorite Seregios or Gore Megala they ported fucking Lurdroch.
- Clearly there is divide between new monsters and old ones (non world ones) because old monsters didn't get basically any new moves aside from slight modifications to their old moves and upped speed. Even world ones got new moves and they were already pretty awesome.
- Maps are just plain garbage. Basically if you don't use dog you are forced to run everywhere and maps are simply not designed with running in mind they are way too big and flat unlike World in which you can reasonably get anywhere quickly if you knew map. If they didn't want to commit to World like design with layers and shitload of stuff in between they should just do area based for now or just tighten map by reducing its size by at least 25%.

Final problem. Game is really fucking easy. Only main game monster gave me some trouble but not that much

Pejo

i am pretty much finishing gathering hub alone. i am at 6 stars and imho i have love hate relationship with it.

Pros:
- After bleh world weapons finally each weapon is different instead of iron/bone variations + rare unique weapon
- Music is fucking great and themes are amazing. Much better than abomination Astera one and still way better than Seliana
- I like theme
- New monsters are pretty good but pretty easy at the same time. Only titular monster is awesome.
- Finally you can see people in village aside from gatherring hub and design of village forces everyone to interact.

Cons:
- Rampage is garbage. Everyone always hated those scripted fights and now you have even more cannons and other crap. It is just not fun to play.
- Game on paper is bigger than base World. But half of monster literally are trash mobs from other mh games. Moreover monster like Ludroch which always was basically Great Jaggras of previous games is supposed to be "hard monster". Instead of porting really good ones like fan favorite Seregios or Gore Megala they ported fucking Lurdroch.
- Clearly there is divide between new monsters and old ones (non world ones) because old monsters didn't get basically any new moves aside from slight modifications to their old moves and upped speed. Even world ones got new moves and they were already pretty awesome.
- Maps are just plain garbage. Basically if you don't use dog you are forced to run everywhere and maps are simply not designed with running in mind they are way too big and flat unlike World in which you can reasonably get anywhere quickly if you knew map. If they didn't want to commit to World like design with layers and shitload of stuff in between they should just do area based for now or just tighten map by reducing its size by at least 25%.

Final problem. Game is really fucking easy. Only main game monster gave me some trouble but not that much
I think your issues with the difficulty are because you haven't done 7* hub yet. Hub 6* was the first time I even carted, but I like the current difficulty, though i haven't built a new armor set since Jyuratodus as soon as I hit HR, but I have been upgrading it. It's always been true in MH if you actually use traps and consumables, fights can become vastly easier. That's compounded in this game with all the endemic life that essentially give you free tools on every map, and they're everywhere. The wirebug I was hating at first, but once you hit hub 6* I feel that the monster mobility goes way up and the wirebug gives you a chance to hang with them even if you're not doing the bowguns or a fast mobile weapon like Longsword/the fastbois (IG/SnS/DB, etc). It's an easy-ish game compared to old MH but you're never getting that again where you have to wrestle with mechanics just to win.

A handful of old monsters got some good upgrades, but it seems like they threw darts at a wall to see which ones they picked. I agree there are a lot of -ggi's in this, but that's basically free for them since they have similar movesets with different spit. I don't mind them being there for new players, and I love the Wroggi armor so I was happy it was back. I don't know how you can say that Rathalos isn't a shitload more fun to fight in this one. He's the best he has ever been. I thought HR Mizutsune was pretty tough this time around. He almost never sits still and his bubbles are actually annoying enough this time to make you bring cleanser, at least for me.

Rampage I agree, worst addition by FAR. I'd rather the usual big monster gimmick fights instead of tower defense. It also annoys me that they basically expect you to get down to the last gate in every apex encounter, no matter how effective your strategy is.

As far as maps, I don't think you've spent enough time unlocking great wirebugs and sub camps. Traversal on foot feels great in the world, and I don't feel out of place when I leave my dog at home except for not being able to move and sharpen at the same time. That said, I vastly prefer dogs to cats unless I'm hunting rare mats, then the cats ability to snipe extra drops is helpful.

perkelson

I think your issues with the difficulty are because you haven't done 7* hub yet. Hub 6* was the first time I even carted,

A handful of old monsters got some good upgrades, but it seems like they threw darts at a wall to see which ones they picked. I thought HR Mizutsune was pretty tough this time around. He almost never sits still and his bubbles are actually annoying enough this time to make you bring cleanser, at least for me.

As far as maps, I don't think you've spent enough time unlocking great wirebugs and sub camps. Traversal on foot feels great in the world, and I don't feel out of place when I leave my dog at home except for not being able to move and sharpen at the same time. That said, I vastly prefer dogs to cats unless I'm hunting rare mats, then the cats ability to snipe extra drops is helpful.

Yes i am at 6* and basically in one quest i can go to 7*. From what i know 7* is the end. Frankly speaking comparing it to world there is no question that Rise is just walk in park. Mind you that i am comparing World single player campaign to Rise gathering hub which is optimized to 4 players. Even with 4 times extra HP of monsters and extra damage they do they still are pretty easy compared to world monsters in single without any multiplayers to health and damage.

HR mizu and Narca are pretty good but that is mostly due to their size and speed not because their movesets and AI. Narca especially since it is just huge fucking wyvern with huge reach. As much as i had issues with how world campaign was structured toward multiplayer it did wonderful job to up challange and you had clear progression. In Rise you have literally in gathering hub Tobi Kadachi at 6* which clearly makes no sense as being in same tier as Rathalos.

I did unlock great wirebugs problem is that where they send you is set. If they would be free move that would help a lot but still wouldn't really solve fundamental issue of map being just way too big and too flat. The other issue with wirebugs i have is that they are just way to fuckign easy to abuse. What previously required of player to properly evede attacks now you can just hop onto ledge or even stay in air as much as you want until problem goes away. This problem also is realized in how monster can't effectively follow you at all to ledges unlike world. So you can sharpen you weapon heal atc without any problems and with wirebugs those ledges are everywhere available in second or two. World had places where you were safe but there were much rarer and getting there usually required some time.

On other hand i love lack of clutchclaw. Wyvern riding system is just superior to world riding. At first i thought it will be stupid or broken but it waaaaaay harder to ride monster than to ride one in world. So you focus on fight instead of trying to abuse retarded mechanic

That's not the worst of it. Your character has a predetermined Talisman table, and it sets a predetermined RNG list of sorts. As you meld you go down the list one at a time. If your table is good (as in somewhere on this list your table has good talismans) you'll eventually get that good talisman in 1, 10, 100, 1000, 100000 , or however many melds it takes to get to it on your predetermined list. If your table is bad, you'll never ever see that good/perfect talisman come because its not on your list. Some predetermined RNG list are short as they'll recycle back to the start after a thousand melds or so and some are longer. Yes that's right, when you reach the end of your predetermined RNG list it just cycles right back to the start.

Now the chances of getting that "perfect talisman" with two great lv2 skills for your build, a lv3 deco, and 2 lv1 decos? About 1 in 400 billion or so, I assume that chance is factored on whether you get a good table when you created your character. So if there's no perfect talisman for you build on that table, then the chance drops down to "never" for that character.
And it's fixed like IB melding unlike base World where you can deco snipe.

MagnesG

Banned
Even with 4 times extra HP of monsters and extra damage they do they still are pretty easy compared to world monsters in single without any multiplayers to health and damage.
I thought that 4x attribute only applies for coop, not necessarily hub quest.

Eevee86

I was trying to get a nosebone from Anjanath for my Slugger decoration and I carved a gem from its tail, haha.

Danjin44

I thought that 4x attribute only applies for coop, not necessarily hub quest.
Yeah, the HP scales depending on number of players.
uWyroXq.png

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Tables are confirmed?

NanaMiku

Cons:

Rampage I agree, worst addition by FAR. I'd rather the usual big monster gimmick fights instead of tower defense. It also annoys me that they basically expect you to get down to the last gate in every apex encounter, no matter how effective your strategy is.
I see what Capcom want to make with Rampage. I think they want to make a big battle that are epic, but somehow always make it kinda boring and a chore.

Brazen

Tables are confirmed?

That's for the talisman odds and how everything works from the datamines.

Was reading somewhere probably on reddit, gamefaqs, or newsfeeds that Capcom will be doing a patch to fix the smaller talisman tables. Some are reporting list duplicates in as little as a thousand melds. I'll search for the source later today when I get a chance.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Pros:
- I like theme

Cons:

Maps being trash and plain are probably a switch hardware limit.

World 2 is gonna have the complicated maps of the first title (hopefully)

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

That's for the talisman odds and how everything works from the datamines.

Was reading somewhere probably on reddit, gamefaqs, or newsfeeds that Capcom will be doing a patch to fix the smaller talisman tables. Some are reporting list duplicates in as little as a thousand melds. I'll search for the source later today when I get a chance.

Ye ye but the tables bound at char creation are confirmed?

Danjin44

I FINALLY got a talisman that has weakness exploit skill with proper level 2 decoration slots, with that my character build is done and I can put this game down until next update.

By far my favorite Monster Hunter game.

Last edited:

Brazen

Had to do some history digging on my laptop, found the article that went into detail.

Monster Hunter Rise Melding Pot Bug Could Be The Reason For Your Bad Talisman Pulls

"So what is the Melding Pot Bug in Monster Hunter Rise? The problem is that players are reportedly only getting one table, rather than having a new seed for a new table generated every so often. Worse still, even the randomizing of the reward table seems to be off, with players reportedly getting all their talismans in the same order every time. Users on Reddit are reporting that the tables seem to be generated for your character on creation, meaning that until Capcom comes up with a fix, the only solution is to start a new character and grind back up to the part of the game that lets you unlock Melding."

So it is possible that the actual bug is locking some people's characters table at creation, so maybe characters not affected have more flexible table seeds generated in the game. But I do know I came across more, probably on reddit, where your character tables are indeed seeded at creation. Admittedly it could've been hearsay talk, didn't follow on it much after an hour's browsing/reading.

Pejo

HH is highest it has ever been I think.
Yea by far. I play with a lot of JP players, probably mostly because of my available hours to play, but almost every group I'm in with them has a Horner. It's very fun to play this time, and I'm planning my PC version run with it. It's been hard to not jump in and use it now, but I think it'll make playing all of the same old content more fun if I keep it untouched for now.

I'd also like to give Dual Blades a real chance one of these days. I hate the stamina drain mechanic which has fucked me up in the past with not having enough to dodge at key moments. With Wirebugs now though, I could see that not being nearly as big a deal.

I'm really shocked with how far Bow fell. In World, it was always one of the top 5, IIRC.

Surprised to see LBG that low. It seems pretty common online. Lance being low is no surprise, it hasn't been popular since Tri. Also I really miss clutch counter for Lance. Rise Lance just has nothing as satisfying as zooming across the entire map and slamming right into a monster's face.

Pejo

I disagree.

I dunno, to me that kinda proves his point. Lance is a good defensive technical weapon, but it's very passive and the moveset isn't anything to get excited about. The big damage move is just a horizontal swipe with your lance. Not even any cool special effects or animations.

Danjin44

I dunno, to me that kinda proves his point. Lance is a good defensive technical weapon, but it's very passive and the moveset isn't anything to get excited about. The big damage move is just a horizontal swipe with your lance. Not even any cool special effects or animations.
I personally like its insta-block and Anchor Rage, two of its counter moves and I LOVE counters and parries. Its my big reason why I chose LS as my main weapon. I don't care if they are not flashy, there is huge satisfaction when pull off counters with Lance and LS.

Last edited:

Brazen

Oddly enough I switched from gunlance to lance in the midst of 7* a few days ago. TBH I just got tired of staring at Rhenoplos chest and arms, they stick out from all other armors like a sore thumb. My kill times are 5mins slower now but having loads of fun in improving on it. Love shield charge, being able to position into monsters whether they're attacking or not? Amazing. And I prefer Spiral Thrust over Anchor Rage because for some reason zigzagging all over the place seems to be my jam, took a bit of getting used to though.

Will probably start switching to bow some for quicker farming when I finish up clearing the last few 7* hub quest. Was my main along with insect glaive and great sword in world so shouldn't have much trouble getting back into it's groove.

Last edited:

perkelson

Evade lance is one of the most aggressive styles in MH games. There is basically no weapon other than lance that can stay on moster 100% of time.

nerdface

Banned
That’s really badass. I love counters and parries. I’ve been having a lot of fun with the morph counters with the CB.

I usually get distracted from solid defense tho, and just start swinging a spinning axe, dodge to a cozy spot, keep big axe spinning, dodge etc.

...being able to stand to a mobs nose like that and just shut them down is attractive as f.

I personally like its insta-block and Anchor Rage, two of its counter moves and I LOVE counters and parries. Its my big reason why I chose LS as my main weapon. I don't care if they are not flashy, there is huge satisfaction when pull off counters with Lance and LS.
The satisfaction of clutch counter isn't just from the animation, it's that it has gameplay effects tied to clutch claw mechanics that are no longer relevant in Rise. A frequent complaint in IB is that clutch claw mechanics break the flow of battle, Lance is one of the cases where clutch claw is well integrated. And even if they add a similar move now, without tenderizing or wallbanging, it's just going to be a flashy move for subpar damage.

But yes, Rise did right in adding built in offensive bonuses to blocking instead of just slotting in Offensive Guard. Anchor Rage is great. I just wish the buff was fixed instead of being affected by the level of guard but eh, can't have everything. Anyway it further pushes the focus away from evade lancing which was always silly considering the big shield. Although making the slap Lance's high MV move is probably equally as silly.

Danjin44

I love that Los/Zinogre and to a lesser extent Goss Harag all have pieces of their kit that punish wirebug abusers. It feels like the devs put that shit in just to laugh at you, and feels very "Monster Hunter".
Yup, especially Zinogre's triple stomp attack punishes wirebug abusers.

But yes, Rise did right in adding built in offensive bonuses to blocking instead of just slotting in Offensive Guard. Anchor Rage is great. I just wish the buff was fixed instead of being affected by the level of guard but eh, can't have everything. Anyway it further pushes the focus away from evade lancing which was always silly considering the big shield. Although making the slap Lance's high MV move is probably equally as silly.
One of the big weakness with Anchor Rage is it can only counter one attack and majority of Monsters in Rise have combo moves that you will get hit even if you counter the first attack.

Last edited:

Danjin44

6mLjKve.jpg

I just finished my alamudron armor, this thing is a tank.
Using this with switch axe, zero sum discharges all day.
I was curious about how exactly "Latent Power" functions in the game since it doesn't really explain.....anything to you but this video made much clear.

Last edited:

Same ol G

I was curious about how exactly "Latent Power" functions in the game since it doesn't really explain.....anything to you but this video made much clear.

Hahaha, i just saw that video this morning.
That youtuber has a lot of useful information for starting hunters and also for veterans.

Brazen

Got done with rajang's two quest, all that's left now is
Narwa

Never got far enough in MHGU nor got the IB expansion for world so was my first time rumbling with rajang and he gave me the most trouble. He carted me twice in his solo mission and once near the beginning of the rajang/zinogre combo. The later half of the second fight is when I got him completely studied, I think. The grab-throw-pound move is utterly brutal though until I realized I could wirebug out of his pound finisher, that's what carted me in both encounters. Laser also got me in the first encounter, quickly learned how to deal with that.

Latent power looks fun, might try to work it in with lance. I'm constantly on top of monsters, poking, countering, charging so that would help with the cooldown. I would be ok with just guard 3, off.guard 3, and evade ext. 2 so if I can work in latent power with keeping those skills I think it would do pretty good.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Long Sword is one of the flashiest weapons in the game. LS Counter is one of the meta ways to play and as such I avoid it like the plague.

Lance is excellent tank weapon if you can get over being stiff and boring.

HBG and SA are so much more engaging for me.

The LS set they give you in the Rajang arena quest is such shit. I finally got a sub 5 minute run but there’s no way I’m going to be able to shave another 30 seconds off for an S rank.

Danjin44

The LS set they give you in the Rajang arena quest is such shit. I finally got a sub 5 minute run but there’s no way I’m going to be able to shave another 30 seconds off for an S rank.
The problem is for me once you have quick sheath for your LS, its hard to go back.

edit:
bBWzqYc.jpg

Life-can-be-so-unfair-GIF.gif

Last edited:

F31 Leopard

I main LBG and Charge Blade. I always thought Lance was the lamest class. I dabbled with it in previous entries and didn't click for me. Decided to give Lance another shot with the wirebug skills and I like Lance a lot. No pun intended.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Stay on the monster 100% of the time doing damage

"defensive"

:rolleyes:

Top Bottom