• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise |OT| A Whole New World

Pejo

I want that on writing with your signature.......then I'm happy.
200.gif
200.gif

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Dude, that was a village tigrex. Has half the hitpoints of a solo hub quest, in which case that would've taken 2x time, 10 minutes. If you call speedrun a solo hub 10 minutes... yeah that it ain't. Let me give you numbers: that village tigrex has 5000 hitpoints. The magnamalo hr hub quest, has 16000 hitpoints solo and lance speedrunners do it in 4 minutes.
Would be more interested in a speed run with no armor and rank 1 kamura weapons without replenishing ammo or using a single whetstone.

Also no items or pots because those are for amateurs. Must be max HR rank and cannot use doggos, ugly cats and must not use any wirebug skills.

Only then will I consider it to be a true solo speedrun.

*shrug*

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
You're still on about this? I don't give a shit anymore. I don't even remember what you were arguing about. Lance is the best!11!! There, are you happy? Can we discuss other things now?

So when you're sent proof that was not a speedrun, debunking your entire line, you cop out? Sure.

Pejo

Holy shit.

Be nice if you could meld all those points intead of narwa parts or rampage tickets...
I wonder if any of the Argosy trades can be used in melding. I never looked to see if stuff like dash extract can be given. I usually use friend tickets and Magnamalo parts since I farmed him so much.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Some of the cooler hammer designs don't go very far past Rarity 4 or 5 which is disappointing. The Aknosom one is amazing. The sleep teddy bear hammer is also great.

Still hate fighting Almudron.

Keinu

This is my first monster hunter game and I’ve been having a blast so far. Gotten to HR7 and currently just doing some multiplayer to get better gear.

Regarding the update, I’ve read something abot uncapped HR? What does that entail? Stronger versions of monsters and new weapons?

Pejo

I got used to his attacks, so I actually like the fight. I honestly find Basarios far more annoying to fight and Jyuratodus is down right boring.
I feel like Almudron's mud platforms are just a tutorial for the Narwa fight and wirebug mechanics during battle. I like fighting him, but I still haven't been able to sever his tail yet, despite slicing it up nearly the whole fight.

This is my first monster hunter game and I’ve been having a blast so far. Gotten to HR7 and currently just doing some multiplayer to get better gear.

Regarding the update, I’ve read something abot uncapped HR? What does that entail? Stronger versions of monsters and new weapons?
Uncapped HR is just a way to gauge how long a player has been playing, more or less. Usually at end-game MH, they make quests that are only accessible after you hit a certain HR (usually in the 50s and beyond). It's mostly just a number to grind so you feel like the big cheese and also used as a gate to slow people down from finishing everything in a few days. Once they uncap it, you get HR points towards the next level each time you finish a hunt, and it stops lining up with the difficulty of quests you are on.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
but I still haven't been able to sever his tail yet, despite slicing it up nearly the whole fight.
I was only able to cut his tail once, he mostly use his tail as a weapon so it hard try to attack it.

Edit: And compare to other Monsters, Almudron's tail takes much more hits before you can cut it off.

Last edited:

Keinu

I feel like Almudron's mud platforms are just a tutorial for the Narwa fight and wirebug mechanics during battle. I like fighting him, but I still haven't been able to sever his tail yet, despite slicing it up nearly the whole fight.

Uncapped HR is just a way to gauge how long a player has been playing, more or less. Usually at end-game MH, they make quests that are only accessible after you hit a certain HR (usually in the 50s and beyond). It's mostly just a number to grind so you feel like the big cheese and also used as a gate to slow people down from finishing everything in a few days. Once they uncap it, you get HR points towards the next level each time you finish a hunt, and it stops lining up with the difficulty of quests you are on.

Ah, I understand. Thank you for quick response.

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

Ugh, I'd rather not see Kushala or Teostra back, so bored of them from World. At least Kirin would make sense with the Japanese theme.
Hopefully that means the blizzard and blaze dual blades come back. I don't mind the teostra fight but fuck i hate kushala. Luckily wind resist only takes three levels instead of 5.

Pejo

Apex Rath looks like he's just in a regular hunt instead of rampage. That might be the biggest news of this post.

*edit* I dunno, after watching again that might just be the entrance of rampage. I thought it was the ravine in Shrine Ruins map.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fuck that rampage shit yo
Get the fuck out of my fucking game you fuck.
Fuck

Last edited:
What's the point on keeping playing after defeating Narwa? Between no uncapped HR and Apex being stuck on Rampage, there seems like there is no endgame at this point.

Kinda disappointing tbh, but the game itself has been pretty cool up until this point.

What's the point on keeping playing after defeating Narwa? Between no uncapped HR and Apex being stuck on Rampage, there seems like there is no endgame at this point.

Kinda disappointing tbh, but the game itself has been pretty cool up until this point.
I think it comes out like, tomorrow. I could be wrong.

The game does seem a little rushed d/t COVID possibly. They're going to patch it. The first patch is 0.9 GB by the way.

Pejo

We're literally getting uncapped HR and new monsters in this upcoming patch. Details today with dates and which monsters etc.

*edit* - tomorrow rather, the 27th is when the "digital event" is. My bad.

Last edited:

Apex Rath looks like he's just in a regular hunt instead of rampage. That might be the biggest news of this post.

*edit* I dunno, after watching again that might just be the entrance of rampage. I thought it was the ravine in Shrine Ruins map.

I think they were just saving the good news for the actual stream. The footage in the tweet is from the rampage area sure, but it's just been confirmed about an hour ago that Apex monsters can be fought in regular hunts now. Apex Mizutsune, I'm coming for you!

But they still haven't added Apex Konchu, so Capcom has failed hunters all over the universe for another millenium...

I think they were just saving the good news for the actual stream. The footage in the tweet is from the rampage area sure, but it's just been confirmed about an hour ago that Apex monsters can be fought in regular hunts now. Apex Mizutsune, I'm coming for you!

But they still haven't added Apex Konchu, so Capcom has failed hunters all over the universe for another millenium...
Niceeeeeee. Any idea when the first update is yet? I can't watch the stream.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Teostra will offer another blast option that's not locked behind that god awful magnamalo purple ball.

Nice.

edit: for clarification, I'm referring to the purple orb Magnamalo (supposedly) drops that you need to craft the high rank weapon, not magnamalo itself.

Last edited:

Pejo

I'm not sure what the exact hour is but assuming they're pushing the update out on the 28th for Japan, that means the Japanese have gotten it 11 minutes ago.

Maybe temporarily changing your account's region might work :x

Edit: Nevermind, from the Kirin's mouth:

Hype! Ugh, out of all the monsters I wanted Apex versions of, Mizutsune and Diabolos were NOT high on my list. They're going to be annoying as fuck.

I wanted to see Apex Bishaten, Almudron, and Goss Harag. Monsters with cool and interesting movesets, not Diabolos "my whole body is a hitbox".

Though I have to say, it looks like he gets some new moves and becomes even MORE aggressive, so it could still be fun.

Chameleos looks fun. I'm always torn about Kush getting in games. I love his design and usually his weapons design, he's my favorite looking monster. But god damn wind pressure bullshit, and they keep making poison less effective on his wind each new game.

Interesting that we can wyvern ride elder dragons.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
That is a nice amount of content for tomorrow! It was almost perfectly timed for me as outside of working on different weapons, I was talisman farming.

Man, if Apex Diablos will be available as a regular hunt, I'm going to do that solo for a while lol. I will cart so much at the beginning if it's even remotely like Black Diablos from World while I was getting the hang of it.

Not entirely sure if they mean that existing Apex monsters being available for a regular hunt includes the incoming ones in this update.

Danjin44

Soooooo happy that we are able to hunt Apex Monsters on regular Hunts.

Edit: I'm dreading the Rampage quests that has both Magnamalo and Almudron on the filed, its gonna be total chaos on solo.

Last edited:

Pejo

Soooooo happy that we are able to hunt Apex Monsters on regular Hunts.

Edit: I'm dreading the Rampage quests that has both Magnamalo and Almudron on the filed, its gonna be total chaos on solo.
I've actually given up on soloing Rampages. They take too long and it gets too hectic at the end. If I actually enjoyed the mode I'd still trudge through it, but as is, I fucking hate it. 4x players makes it so much less shitty.

Danjin44

I've actually given up on soloing Rampages. They take too long and it gets too hectic at the end. If I actually enjoyed the mode I'd still trudge through it, but as is, I fucking hate it. 4x players makes it so much less shitty.
I'm solo player only and I will do everything solo, it not impossible to do but the thing I hate about Rampage quests is all your weapon mastery and Monster knowledge goes out the window on those quests.

nerdface

Banned
The parry on this lance is stupid good. No stamina cost, fast counter if you want, and it blocks just about everything.

The only thing I don't like is the switch skill slows down your guard. I was getting pretty used to the shield charge/stun shield slam, and now I have to wait just a second for my guard to finish. Still totally worth parry, but it's taking me some adjusting.

I love that I can equip different animations/switch skills to create a custom build like this.

SCB3

Some nice new stuff for the update, I've not finished the main game yet but its always nice to have more to do

But, fuck putting Character Appearance changes behind DLC, MHW was also bad about this, I believe the Steam version was fucked cause it counted the change as 1 DLC so you could only do it once (I played on PS4 so I'm not sure), it should be free or with in-game currency

nerdface

Banned
I'm solo player only and I will do everything solo, it not impossible to do but the thing I hate about Rampage quests is all your weapon mastery and Monster knowledge goes out the window on those quests.

Yeah, but they're fun multiplayer quests if you don't have to play them solo. I do big damage numbers, and there's always something close by to poke at. I actually like rampage.

Hype! Ugh, out of all the monsters I wanted Apex versions of, Mizutsune and Diabolos were NOT high on my list. They're going to be annoying as fuck.

I wanted to see Apex Bishaten, Almudron, and Goss Harag. Monsters with cool and interesting movesets, not Diabolos "my whole body is a hitbox".

Though I have to say, it looks like he gets some new moves and becomes even MORE aggressive, so it could still be fun.

Chameleos looks fun. I'm always torn about Kush getting in games. I love his design and usually his weapons design, he's my favorite looking monster. But god damn wind pressure bullshit, and they keep making poison less effective on his wind each new game.

Interesting that we can wyvern ride elder dragons.
Hmm, I'm greedy so ideally every monster should get an Apex variant lol.

Aren't the Blos kind of like the Raths, MH traditions at this point, I don't think they've been left out of any of the past few iterations at all. Would definitely trade Blos for Garuga if I could only pick one.

I'm quite optimistic that we'll see Apex versions of the new additions too, it's just in Capcom's interest to drip feed them over the months instead of frontloading everything. Gives time for them to polish and keep the game on the community's minds as we focus down on the added monsters.

Considering the director and what I read about him some time ago on Reddit (more focused on making a fun game, not a difficult one), I imagine Kushala will be less of an ass in MHR than in MHW :x

Wyvern Riding is a great addition for me so far. I thought it was a really neat detail that the Queen of the Land runs around really quickly whilst the King of the Skies flies around when riding (now I have my own world tour you damned mooks!).

It's Capcom's way of letting players play as the monsters for a spell; I was beyond thrilled and had to grin when I slammed the ground as Zinogre. It's like when you figure out how to unlock boss characters in fighting games :D

And in usual joking fashion, I need to point out that Capcom hasn't allowed us to ride Bullfangos to charge the shit out of Magnamalo, so Capcom fails again.

Danjin44

The parry on this lance is stupid good. No stamina cost, fast counter if you want, and it blocks just about everything.
Do you mean Anchor Rage or perfect block? Anchor Rage is great but it can only parry one attack, there are monsters like Zinogre can do triple stomp attacks which makes Anchor Rage useless against it.

Danjin44

Insta-block.

I also consider three different attacks, well, to be three different attacks. But ok.
That one is pretty good, what meant was that most monsters do combo moves but yeah if you time it right Insta-block can block almost any attack and feels good to pull it off.

nerdface

Banned
That one is pretty good, what meant was that most monsters do combo moves but yeah if you time it right Insta-block can block almost any attack and feels good to pull it off.

the cross slash counter it opens up is also a nice way to turn defense into damage

Top Bottom