• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Rise |OT| A Whole New World

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
How's the difficulty in HR quests? I´ve been doing early Hub and Village quests and so far it has been mostly pretty easy, only carted once against a Tobi.

Difficulty goes up each level. It becomes more and more important to understand the monster's weaknesses, how you should gear up, and their moveset. If you are new it can be quite challenging. But, like anything, the more you do it, the better you get at it.

If you keep getting KO'd by a specific monster, post about it, as someone here can likely give tips or maybe even drop in to help out on a hub quest.

Been taking my sweet time with MHR as I want to savour it slowly, and also because the game is meant to be properly complete after the next two big updates coming in April, with extra additional content coming in future.

Kinda regretted playing the frosty region like how I played the demo (always checking the map, chasing the Lagombi icon etc), so for the next two hunts, Kulu-Ya-Ku and Great Wroggi, I didn't consult the map once.

Explored the level organically and hunted the monsters the slow and hard way. Took me 34 minutes for Ya-Ku and 23 minutes for Wroggi but it was a lot of fun and a really absorbing experience. I'm also not upgrading my gear until it gets unbearable.

Besides being able to take your own time, not playing multiplayer has another huge benefit:
S87AiFb.jpg

I think I'm missing something with Hunting Horn.

Certain melodies have a "(S)" after them and I can't seem to play them. For instance on the Kamura Chorus II the Health recovery ability (X+A) has a (S) after it and despite playing the notes multiple times, I never get the buff.

What did I overlook?

UnNamed

Banned
I've tried the demo. After 30 seconds, when I found out you can't use the analogue stick in the menu, I wanted to quit. Tried a little bit further, maybe it's better but I think it's not for me. Monster Hunter on PSP was good, but 13 years have passed since.

Certain melodies have a "(S)" after them and I can't seem to play them. For instance on the Kamura Chorus II the Health recovery ability (X+A) has a (S) after it and despite playing the notes multiple times, I never get the buff.

What did I overlook?
I'm quite certain the (S) stands for Small, meaning you get a small amount of health recovery after performing that melody.

I'm quite certain the (S) stands for Small, meaning you get a small amount of health recovery after performing that melody.
That's fine, but I can never get it to perform.

The X and A melodies perform but not the X+A, at least with this particular buff. I've used other HH weapons that had a different buff for X+A and it's performed. I've also been in groups with other people using the HH and seen the "Health Recovery (S)" melody performed, so I'm not sure what I'm doing (or not doing) that it isn't working for me.

SCB3

Finally got to the first Rampage mission, man are those slow and kinda lackluster, too easy as well, maybe the harder ones will be better.

Still loving the actual monster hunting, my Switch Axe (now that I finally worked out how to switch modes and do the combos better) is hard carrying me, up to 4* Village and 3* Hub quests now

nerdface

Banned

The X and A melodies perform but not the X+A, at least with this particular buff. I've used other HH weapons that had a different buff for X+A and it's performed. I've also been in groups with other people using the HH and seen the "Health Recovery (S)" melody performed, so I'm not sure what I'm doing (or not doing) that it isn't working for me.

I’m not on that weapon, but my a/x skill is the one that can be changed. Did you get the ability yet? Did you accidentally equip something else?

What makes you think it's not working to begin with?

Also, you just need to press X+A twice in a row for it to execute.

Edit: I'm assuming you're using the default Switch Skill, the alternate one requires one press then ZR to perform.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I've been wondering that too. My friend and I have been duo-ing the hub quite a bit and we always give each other a like at the end, but does it even do anything?
The "online cat" has given me multiple items already for the amount of likes I've gotten.

There's also menus for people that are "mutual likes" so you can filter for that and invite them for online games or whatever.

That's all I've seen so far. But the cat gave me 20 herbal remedies and 20 life powders already.

I don't think it affects anything else related to matchmaking, unless you're doing some join request and just happen to join a person you've liked in the past. All the matchmaking is manual, whether its lobbies or individual quests.

Last edited:
Health Recovery isn't really something that stays in an activated state. You don't see it light up red or anything on your list of songs. It just heals you for a certain amount. Are you sure you're not healing? There's also a melody called Health Regeneration, which does stay activated as it slowly heals you over a certain period.

The only other option I can think of, is that you equipped the Switch Skill that changes how your perform melodies, requiring you to end all songs with ZR to activate them.

If it's not either of these cases, that weapon really might be bugged.

e&e

Banned
So I’m not really jelling with the controls, I always want to use Y to unsheathed because that’s what I use in most action games to attack. Is there a way to edit controls?

So I’m not really jelling with the controls, I always want to use Y to unsheathed because that’s what I use in most action games to attack. Is there a way to edit controls?
You'll have to edit at the system level in the Switch (System Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Change Button Mapping).

Also remember that you'll probably want to swap the A button with B because of the X+A combination.

nerdface

Banned
So I just realized I can redo a quest I’ve finished to respawn a monster I want to fight. I just got some cool armor and am redoing this quest so I can get the whole set. If this is the game loop, I’m into it.

It’s also awesome how every quest is it’s own videogame level, with stuff just for that run. This is fun.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sakura Slash is the fastest way to get into Red Bar imo. I suck so badly with counter attacking style of Long Sword so Sakura Slash skill is a mandatory for me to sustain Red Bar for a whole hunt effortlessly.
My problem with Sakura Slash is that you have to replace it over helm splitter, LS’s strongest attack.

Punished Miku

I'm absolutely loving Heavy Bowgun. Nothing beats waiting for a perfect sniper shot and just getting the kill shot from 50 ft away while the rest of the group was smacking it.

I really like the recovery ammo as well. I can switch to it super fast, and end up healing teammates when they're still on the ground after they get sent flying. I don't really get hit all that much, and recovery ammo costs half a potion to make, so it's cheap and everyone seems to appreciate it.

But yeah, it's just my favorite weapon now. Pierce ammo is completely crushing. You definitely feel the impact when it lands on a very long or wide enemy and ends up hitting them like 8x per shot. Flying enemies can be downed more easily also. And after doing tons of damage, the monster turns to run towards you and you just land your silkweb counter and get even more damage. Loving it.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm absolutely loving Heavy Bowgun. Nothing beats waiting for a perfect sniper shot and just getting the kill shot from 50 ft away while the rest of the group was smacking it.

I really like the recovery ammo as well. I can switch to it super fast, and end up healing teammates when they're still on the ground after they get sent flying. I don't really get hit all that much, and recovery ammo costs half a potion to make, so it's cheap and everyone seems to appreciate it.

But yeah, it's just my favorite weapon now. Pierce ammo is completely crushing. You definitely feel the impact when it lands on a very long or wide enemy and ends up hitting them like 8x per shot. Flying enemies can be downed more easily also. And after doing tons of damage, the monster turns to run towards you and you just land your silkweb counter and get even more damage. Loving it.
giphy.gif

Pussy.

Banjo64

cumsessed

9.4 user score 🔥🔥🔥

12th highest rated game ever on Metacritic when you sort by user score.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Ranged weapons definitely seem more suited for group play. I can't imagine using a HBG solo to take down a monster.
It works pretty well honestly. The melee attack counts as a block and does a significant amount of KO damage to the head. And my doge ends up jumping on the monster and getting his attention at least half the time.

But for sure it shines in multiplayer even more.

TheGejsza

AAAAAAAWWWWWW JESUS FUCKING CHRIST FUCK CHARGE BLADE!!!

I just can't... I told myself that I will not use Charge Blade again (4th generation of using CB) and I was doing rather fine with LS/Lance/GL and I just wanted to play 1 hunt with CB to see silkbind attacks aaaaand... I am CB main again. Those new move are broken as hell. Perfect parry seems to be absoluetly OP - charge phials, can counter into SAED and has big-ass counter-window. And the other move (the dash-one) seems super usefull too...

nerdface

Banned

Thanks for posting this. The sword and board is fun, but I was stuck in the same combo and was getting repetitive. Consistently doing ok damage, and it’s easy to position.

Charge blade is more fun. Potentially more damage, but if I suck, not much damage at all. Good balance, and I need more practice.

F31 Leopard

I took 2 weeks PTO from work just to play MHR. I just made the 40+ HR mark. I can say this is my favorite MH to date. Goss Harag, Almudron and Magnamalo are super fun fights. I can't wait to see their inevitable G Rank versions. I can't believe they made Jyuratodus fun to fight not like how boring he was in World. I'm so relieved they brought back Hidden Eye and not Hidden Bullet from World.

e&e

Banned
You'll have to edit at the system level in the Switch (System Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Change Button Mapping).

Also remember that you'll probably want to swap the A button with B because of the X+A combination.
Whelp! After a few minutes my brain started melting cause the controller messes with everything from the system level.

1. I wish they had per game mappings!
2. I just need certain things customized between sheathed and unsheathed. What does Capcom care how I want my setups? Kind of bummed I keep eating a potion because of the default setup...

Last edited:
Whelp! After a few minutes my brain started melting cause the controller messes with everything from the system level.

2. I just need certain things customized between sheathed and unsheathed. What does Capcom care how I want my setups? Kind of bummed I keep eating a potion because of the default setup...
The complicated controls add to the difficulty. Sheath weapon and potion on the same button is a head scratcher and I wasted alot at first. I now cycle to empty slot to avoid burning a potion or item.

Also found it best to get on your mount whenever you want to heal/buff/sharpen in combat since you can stay mobile and reposition.

SinDelta

Will start Level 3 hunts later. Just finished level 1 hub and then onto 2.

Still have a way to go lol. Going between great sword, long sword and bow. Bow has definitely caught my interest with the bow that's also a
revolver cannon.
Will be looking at hammer and lance also. The upgrade tree for each weapon is staggering.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Played with my friends last night until HR3. Damn, 4 player is quite rough, even Great Izuchi takes quite a while to kill.

What's the deal with the multiplayer likes? Does it have any impact on matchmaking?
I think it's useful for playing with randoms. In the courier cat, you can see players you've liked. I only play with my friends, buy I think that you can see the player you have like before on that menu, it make easier to find and play again with someone random that you like

What did I overlook?
S mean small, for example, Earplug (S) will only work on weaker monster scream, it means the buff won't work with Tigrex scream. For song that is an active song (as in not buff song), it will only trigger once so the text won't be red, you still get the effect though. For Health Recover, your health will recover directly but only for small amount. Another song that is an active song is Echo Wave.

Last edited:

nerdface

Banned

it’s a great feature, but why apply to the system menus, I totally agree

per game settings would be awesome too

Danjin44

Man Almudron can be tough even on village quest, most his body super hard and your weapon bounce off but its still fun fight.

Last edited:

Danjin44

That's why you play Hunting Horn! Self Improvement make your weapon won't bounce
I'm just not HH guy, I mostly play as LS or Lance. I just need get down his attack patterns so I can effectively counter his moves. I can beat him in village quest and low rank hub quest but I can imagine this guy is going to give me trouble in high rank quest.

Edit: At least Almudron is not annoying to fight like Basarios is, his my least liked Monster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom