• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Series |OT| of endless grinding fun

upandaway

What statement about Tri servers?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37783429&postcount=107

capdude said:
I know it's been awhile since we've had a new MH game, but for what it's worth, it ain't cheap to keep those Tri servers running. Take that as a symbol of our ongoing stake in the franchise until we can get an actual game over here.

It's nothing huge but it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence regarding longevity.

Gonna keep on playing until I at least get every quest in the game (I got 3 or 4 left). There was once upon a time when I was shooting for 100% achievements, but, uh. Well.

upandaway

EU servers, my code thing is EX4KEH (Alon). Right now. Recruiting/Greed1/City Gate6/City12

I'm limiting to High Rank because we'll do some Deviljho but if anyone wants to play at low rank, just say so and we'll join
Going at it again, same everything. Recruiting/Greed1/City Gate10/City3

Will edit the post if the city's full, but really if you wanna play fuck the city I'll join yours

(done)

Apenheul

That was short but sweet, it's been a long time since I've fought Jho. It seems that when I quit playing Tri I was working on a Mutsu+ armor set, hopefully Jhen+ will show up again soon.

upandaway

That was short but sweet, it's been a long time since I've fought Jho. It seems that when I quit playing Tri I was working on a Mutsu+ armor set, hopefully Jhen+ will show up again soon.
That was you?! Could've said something! (now that I look at it you were in my friends list, whoops)

We just moved to a different city if you're still up for it

upandaway

So I'm doing Uragaan+Agnaktor, 3 people. Uragaan gets captured, it's all cool.

Then my friend gets disconnected.

It's cool, whatever, we continue on Agnaktor with 2 people. Up until 10 minutes left on the clock.

Then the other one disconnects.

Sucks but what can you do, so I continue. Agnaktor is sleeping, 5 minutes left. I can feel it in my bones, he's going down. I kill him finally with 1 minute on the god damn clock.

Then I get disconnected. And no, it didn't save.

So I'm doing Uragaan+Agnaktor, 3 people. Uragaan gets captured, it's all cool.

Then my friend gets disconnected.

It's cool, whatever, we continue on Agnaktor with 2 people. Up until 10 minutes left on the clock.

Then the other one disconnects.

Sucks but what can you do, so I continue. Agnaktor is sleeping, 5 minutes left. I can feel it in my bones, he's going down. I kill him finally with 1 minute on the god damn clock.

Then I get disconnected. And no, it didn't save.
Capcom must getting ripped off on server costs with so many DCs.

When the inevitable comes and the servers do get shut down, I wonder how plausible it would be to connect with one another using some sort of homebrew workaround. I have zero expertise regarding this type of stuff but hopefully there's some sort of solution for those of us who would still like to play Tri years from now.

I still think another downsizing of servers would come before everything gets pulled. There are a quite a few servers that aren't being used anyway.

Ultratech

Capcom must getting ripped off on server costs with so many DCs.

When the inevitable comes and the servers do get shut down, I wonder how plausible it would be to connect with one another using some sort of homebrew workaround. I have zero expertise regarding this type of stuff but hopefully there's some sort of solution for those of us who would still like to play Tri years from now.

I still think another downsizing of servers would come before everything gets pulled. There are a quite a few servers that aren't being used anyway.

That DC stuff is nothing new. Really sucks when you just start a quest then everyone DCs immediately only for you to follow soon after.

Regarding a workaround on the servers...that could be tricky. You'd have to be familiar with the Server architecture (to recreate it or modify an existing copy) and then you'd have to have some way of modifying the game itself to redirect to the new server. I'm sure somebody could come up with something, but I wouldn't hold my breath since it'd be a lot of work and then they'd have to have some way of paying for said server.

Anywho, did some Agnaktor hunting today. Trying to get a Agnaktor Claw for Jhen armor...anyways, I've got this one all pretty well broken and decide to play around for a bit. So taking my Barrel Bombs, I set 'em in front of the Agnaktor (it's way on the other side of the map). The plan was for it to slide its way to the bombs, and I blow 'em with a Paintball. Well, I threw the paintball a bit early, but the tip of the explosion catches the Agnaktor's beak and breaks it. Was so damn hilarious.

Emitan

I said I was going to start playing, but I'm dealing with some personal stuff and I can't play anything that's difficult right now. My heart just isn't in it.

I hope I can start hunting again soon

Wazzim

Banned
I play P3rd on Japanese Ad-Hoc Party (lobby S50 is the one used by English players) but there are enough people playing MHFU on the Euro Ad-Hoc if you want to play that.

54-46!

I play P3rd on Japanese Ad-Hoc Party (lobby S50 is the one used by English players) but there are enough people playing MHFU on the Euro Ad-Hoc if you want to play that.

Do you still have to use a PS3 for ad-hoc these days or can you play via wifi router > PC > internet, and get on the same servers?

Wazzim

Banned
If only I knew how to use Adhoc Party

1. Plug in an ethernet cable
2. Switch to cable mode on your PS3's network settings
3. Start Ad-Hoc Party
4. Go to online hall (or lobby, depending on the game) on your PSP and select the 3rd option in AH Party to search for people with the same game.
5. ????
6. Profit

Yuripaw

Banned
I just ordered a copy of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD for my PS3. It was fairly cheap, (less than $35) and I've been wanting to try this series for a while. I don't really understand a whole lot of japanese, but I'm hoping I'll be able to figure it out enough to enjoy it.

I couldn't get Tri, because I currently don't own a Wii. I could have gone with Freedom Unite on the Vita/PSP, but I really wanted to play MHP3, because I kept hearing it's the best. Plus it looked the most fully featured from the footage I've seen online.

Raide

I just ordered a copy of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD for my PS3. It was fairly cheap, (less than $35) and I've been wanting to try this series for a while. I don't really understand a whole lot of japanese, but I'm hoping I'll be able to figure it out enough to enjoy it.

I couldn't get Tri, because I currently don't own a Wii. I could have gone with Freedom Unite on the Vita/PSP, but I really wanted to play MHP3, because I kept hearing it's the best. Plus it looked the most fully featured from the footage I've seen online.

Once you remember the icons and positions for stuff, then it becomes really easy. The actual Japanese text becomes unnecessary, if you just want to play the game. If you want to understand what you play with, then the reading comes in handy.

Mondriaan

Once you remember the icons and positions for stuff, then it becomes really easy. The actual Japanese text becomes unnecessary, if you just want to play the game. If you want to understand what you play with, then the reading comes in handy.
The biggest difference is that Japanese games use O to accept and X to cancel. However, when you're actually playing MH, X is still used for rolling/sidestep/backhop, so it's not like X and O are totally swapped.

I also recently bought 3rd HD and should try it out some time.

Yuripaw

Banned
Well I did discover this site recently, which looks like it'd come in handy greatly http://www.mhf3.com

Seems to have a lot of the important information translated, so I'll just give a try, and see how it goes ^_^

I never have problem with games that swapped the X and Os on the playstation controller. I was always kinda used to that, because even back in the day, games like FF7, and the first 3 MGS games had that even in their north american release.

Emitan

Well I did discover this site recently, which looks like it'd come in handy greatly http://www.mhf3.com

Seems to have a lot of the important information translated, so I'll just give a try, and see how it goes ^_^

I have problem with games that swapped the X and Os on the playstation controller. I was always kinda used to that, because even back in the day, games like FF7, and the first 3 MGS games had that even in their north american release.

Because it's better. Sometimes I wish I had a Japanese system so they'd be the way I like them.

Yuripaw

Banned
meant to put never have problems...my brain does that alot where I'll completely forget to type a word in my sentence...

Because it's better. Sometimes I wish I had a Japanese system so they'd be the way I like them.
Well it also makes more sense...X means no, and O means yes, yet our region seems to prefer it backwards.

Fonz72

With the announcement of Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate for Wii U, I thought I would break out my copy of Tri for Wii and see if it's actually something I might like. I played around for about an hour last night and finished my first quest - gathering resources to rebuild the camp.

I've never played a MH game before, any advice for a complete noob?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
With the announcement of Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate for Wii U, I thought I would break out my copy of Tri for Wii and see if it's actually something I might like. I played around for about an hour last night and finished my first quest - gathering resources to rebuild the camp.

I've never played a MH game before, any advice for a complete noob?

Take it slow if necessary, be patient, learn when to use healing items, learn when to use dodge/rolls.

Fonz72

Take it slow if necessary, be patient, learn when to use healing items, learn when to use dodge/rolls.

Thanks! I'm enjoying it so far - used some gathered resources to get leather chest armor and thinking about up-grading to a bone sword.

Ultratech

And be sure to experiment with the different weapons to see which works best for you.

Another thing would be to study a monster's movements and attacks so they don't catch you off-guard (though it'll still probably happen with some monsters...I'm looking at you, Rathalos.).

Oh, and gather everything! Most everything you gather can be used for something or another whether it be used for gear crafting or combining. There's only a handful of items that exist purely to sell.

kSt

Total noob here.
Is it possible to play MHFU online via XlinkKai on PSP Street (gimped version without WiFi)?
Does anybody still play this?

Fonz72

And be sure to experiment with the different weapons to see which works best for you.

Another thing would be to study a monster's movements and attacks so they don't catch you off-guard (though it'll still probably happen with some monsters...I'm looking at you, Rathalos.).

Oh, and gather everything! Most everything you gather can be used for something or another whether it be used for gear crafting or combining. There's only a handful of items that exist purely to sell.

Cool thanks for the input guys.

Mondriaan

I don't, but I'd like to. I started playing MHFU and didn't really get into it, but it could be fun.

How do we do it? Complete noob to online PSP stuff, I'm using the Vita to play it.
Ah hoc party is a PS3 application so you'll need a PS3 with a wired connection. There might be a few launch 20 gig PS3s out there. Ad hoc party doesn't work with those.

Ultratech

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm16845568

Wow, that was fast! Is Dos just really easy or something? That seems ridiculous.

Well, it's a TAS, so it's supposed to be fast. :D

Actually, most of the progression in Dos requires that you give people certain items (fulfilling requests basically).
If you knew what you were doing, you could get most of the items in one or two quests.

There's only a few quests I think that you're really forced to do (like the Kushala/Luna repel quests for instance).

Here's all the Offline quests for reference:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/928683-monster-hunter-2/faqs/57493

Looks like he's using a Bone Hammer for some of those vids.

Khezu

I wish dos would have come to the west, I had a lot of fun playing my import copy offline, would have LOVED to be able to play it online with folks.

Dos had the best zones.

Ultratech

I know that but he killed it in like 10 hits!

Velocidrome in Offline mode is like super weak. Even with a crap weapon, it shouldn't take no more than 5 minutes. (Even less if you're using a good weapon.)

From reference, he was using the Great Bone Club, which was made using Mystery Bones. It's super cheap to make and upgrade to, and it's pretty damn strong that early in the game (728 Atk; total mats would've been 9 Mystery Bones and 1,890z).

So yeah, it's no wonder it went down pretty quickly. He was using a really powerful hammer for the early game.

Stage On

I'm looking to get into Monster hunter.

Would Freedom unite be a good place to start even with out ad-hoc or should I wait until Ultimate comes out in March?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
dat lack of monhun at sony's tgs press conference

lol

Anyone who was expecting it was probably dumb enough to hope they'd announce Bayonetta 2 as well. Nintendo's got it locked up tight, just like Bayo, Fatal Frame, and Dragon Quest.

Top Bottom