• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Series |OT| of endless grinding fun

Ultratech

How difficult is Freedom Unite / MHPG2 considered to be relative to the other games? Only played Tri before (not too far yet, 2nd lagi meeting), but after getting my Vita I've put in about 12 hours with FU.. Met no challenge until Khezu - this blind slime took away half of my health bar for every hit and survived what I felt was a very solid number of clean great sword hits. I got him but had to waste too many potions for my taste.

MHFU: Hard
MH3: Slightly less harder

The things that make those games hard are mostly not knowing what to do, monsters hitting relatively hard, and broken hitboxes.

And Khezu isn't that hard...it's basically just hitting it while not getting shocked. If you're getting shocked, you're doing it wrong. Very wrong. If you're getting hit by other stuff, get out of the way.

DCharlie

Banned
How difficult is Freedom Unite / MHPG2 considered to be relative to the other games? Only played Tri before (not too far yet, 2nd lagi meeting), but after getting my Vita I've put in about 12 hours with FU.. Met no challenge until Khezu - this blind slime took away half of my health bar for every hit and survived what I felt was a very solid number of clean great sword hits. I got him but had to waste too many potions for my taste.

wasting potions happens a lot - by the end game you're usually stocked with several different potions as well.

I personally found MHPG2 harder than MH Wii and MH3rdP. From MH1 onwards the difficulty started to get shunted to the back end of the game, MHPG2 just hits a bit earlier.

By early - for MH you can take this as "from about 100 hours on wards"

MH1 will kick the sh1t out of you the first chance it gets and then it does it over and over and over and over.

Peru

Yeah I've put in about 60 hours on Tri but taking things at a leisurely pace.

And Khezu isn't that hard...it's basically just hitting it while not getting shocked. If you're getting shocked, you're doing it wrong. Very wrong. If you're getting hit by other stuff, get out of the way.

I definitely got better and beat him pretty quickly the 2nd time around, but I found his 'tells' for when he started pulsating with electricity hard to read. That's how I felt he separated himself from monsters I fought in Tri at that point, they were much more obvious (and didn't take half my health in one bite, I think).

Wazzim

Banned
wasting potions happens a lot - by the end game you're usually stocked with several different potions as well.

I personally found MHPG2 harder than MH Wii and MH3rdP. From MH1 onwards the difficulty started to get shunted to the back end of the game, MHPG2 just hits a bit earlier.

By early - for MH you can take this as "from about 100 hours on wards"

MH1 will kick the sh1t out of you the first chance it gets and then it does it over and over and over and over.

I remember something called the Monoblos quest (?), the monster's HP was insane. It took forever.

Ultratech

True story. MH1 has an abundance of methods to flat-out piss you off.
Whether it's the stage obscuring your vision with its details (hi, Forest & Hills' shitty forest areas), cats stealing your stuff while trying to fight a boss,
Vespoids stinging you at inopportune times, or getting hit over by a wall, completely obscuring any and all vision you had.
Or those goddamn manadatory Egg quests.

My hats off to those brave souls who made it as far as they did in MH1.

I remember something called the Monoblos quest (?), the monster's HP was insane. It took forever.

Hmm, don't remember too much about Monoblos, other than it's pretty much a Diablos with 1 horn. You fight 'em just like a 'Blos.

The most infamous quest I remember hearing about in those days was Four Horns (2x Diablos).

Wazzim

Banned
Anyone with a Vita and a PS3 have MHFU? I'm thinking of picking it up to play some ad-hoc, but I want to make sure there are a few GAF users that would be able to get online with it - much more fun that way. :)

I can play in the weekends if you're still interested.

Hmm, don't remember too much about Monoblos, other than it's pretty much a Diablos with 1 horn. You fight 'em just like a 'Blos.

The most infamous quest I remember hearing about in those days was Four Horns (2x Diablos).
That's probably the one I meant, most people couldn't even finish it in 50 minutes.

SoulFist

I'm thinking about importing Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD. For someone who is pretty experienced with the series would this be a good buy? Would a non-Japanese speaker be able to get by using the wiki translation? Thanks guys.

Kurod

Banned
I'm thinking about importing Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD. For someone who is pretty experienced with the series would this be a good buy? Would a non-Japanese speaker be able to get by using the wiki translation? Thanks guys.

If you're experienced with the series you should be able to get by just fine. I'd say go for it...but you might want to hold off at least until the captivate embargo ends just in case a western localization is announced, however unlikely that may be.

Apenheul

I did the same thing but it took me like 80 hours to really get familiar with it (not needing the translation anymore). You'll recognize the items/icons immediately so combining stuff isn't a problem if you have enough MH experience, it's just that in the beginning it's a long process of trial-and-error (even with the translation I often took the wrong potions/stuff with me on quests) and weapon/armor upgrade paths are very confusing. Unless you really can't wait anymore I'd wait for Captivate like SoulFist said.

Kurod

Banned
Ziltch from Captivate. I guess as far as Capcom is concerned Monster Hunter is dead in the west. It's up to Nintendo whether or not we get our fix now.

Wazzim

Banned
Updated the OP with transparent pictures, the old ones looked horrible with extensions like NeoGAF Pro Dark.

The MH Wiki's are excellent (MHF3.com).

I actually ordered the HD version recently (should arrive this week), I already am HR6 so just post here if you want some help with multiplayer quests.

jimmypython

Ziltch from Captivate. I guess as far as Capcom is concerned Monster Hunter is dead in the west. It's up to Nintendo whether or not we get our fix now.

Yeah, it is funny that they made their judgement solely by just looking at sales on the Wii (I've heard it was not bad at all), which is not hardcore enough or online friendly, and PSP, which has been dead for a while here.

They don't even bother to bring that
crappy
MHP3rdHD over to see if HD console would make a difference.

Wazzim

Banned
Exams are over, got mah free time back!

Will be playing some MHFU on Ad-hoc party now, MHP3rd later in the day.

EDIT: MHP3rd HD ver. impressions: It's MHP3rd but rendered in HD. Some 2D stuff can look really bad but it feels great to (if you use a keyboard) play and type with only minimal delay.
They really need to bring MH back with proper friend support, MHTri was already a step in the right direction. Can't wait to see what MH4 or whatever will bring on the online front.

Any GAF'ers still play MH Tri online - US Servers? I just got into the game again and started off a fresh new character. Still HR1, but I'm doing a bunch of offline quests to gather some equipment and materials. This thread isn't that active any more, so PM me on here if you want to set up some co-op for Tri.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Any GAF'ers still play MH Tri online - US Servers? I just got into the game again and started off a fresh new character. Still HR1, but I'm doing a bunch of offline quests to gather some equipment and materials. This thread isn't that active any more, so PM me on here if you want to set up some co-op for Tri.

I've started playing again so I'd love to play online time. Tonight I'm busy, but maybe tomorrow.

Chuckpebble

I want to learn switch axe, so please excuse me for sucking when we play.

Oh man. I tried that last week. No matter what I tried to do, the second move in my axe combo was an upswing. We were fighting Barioth, and I said to myself, surely, holding the remote THIS way after the first strike will not lead to an upswing. I sent a team mate over Barioth for the second time. Spent the rest of the hunt in sword mode. I've been afraid to go back.

Oh man. I tried that last week. No matter what I tried to do, the second move in my axe combo was an upswing. We were fighting Barioth, and I said to myself, surely, holding the remote THIS way after the first strike will not lead to an upswing. I sent a team mate over Barioth for the second time. Spent the rest of the hunt in sword mode. I've been afraid to go back.
Sword mode is typically the superior mode anyway. Especially if you have a power phial.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Err, I may have to get on an hour later. :/ Hope that's OK.

Billie you better be on too!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

You're going to make this up to me you know.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Cool, I can definitely make that. I just might not be able to stay on that long.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Don't suppose anyone's still playing P3rd up ins?

Any good alternative to the frilly-looking paralyse lance? (I hate that thing.)

Also, I should be getting hooked up to proper nets soon, so Ad-hoc Partying is on the cards. I'm HR6 and down for whatevs. Japan players? Time zones?

deim0s

Don't suppose anyone's still playing P3rd up ins?

Any good alternative to the frilly-looking paralyse lance? (I hate that thing.)

Also, I should be getting hooked up to proper nets soon, so Ad-hoc Partying is on the cards. I'm HR6 and down for whatevs. Japan players? Time zones?

Just started again with an old save, seems I don't have the best of GS's yet. Do people still play this via adhoc party? stable? How about MHFU?

Hmm... I should try it now and check.

Ultratech

I've been playing P3rd lately. (Or at least when my schedule permits.)

Just finally finished doing the Jhen urgent for the Village quests.
I actually started out using SnS and Dual Swords at the beginning, then started trying out Bows after beating on Jinouga to get its Bow. Needless to say, I love Bows now.

Quite amazing how much more awesome they made 'em in P3rd, seeing as my previous experience with 'em was in MH2, where they ended up being so-so (you couldn't even legally get the best bow in that game, and most Bows really lacked in attack in High Rank compared to other weapons).

I really wanna try and get Ad Hoc set up, but I have no time at all to do it right now. :(

upandaway

Capcom's statement about Tri servers really scared me so now me and my friend are gonna play while we still can. And I figured I might as well post here. (I somehow got lost with Soneet's tool, dunno how to use it)

EU servers, my code thing is EX4KEH (Alon). Right now. Recruiting/Greed1/City Gate6/City12

I'm limiting to High Rank because we'll do some Deviljho but if anyone wants to play at low rank, just say so and we'll join

Edit: aand we're done for now i guess, STILL didn't complete every quest in the game

Top Bottom