• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Series |OT| of endless grinding fun

Emitan

Looking at this list
http://divinewh.im/w/hm/
It seems like all the hammer trees end up with pretty good damage compared to each other, so does it matter too much which ones I work for? Obviously some will be better than the others.

upandaway

Looking at this list
It seems like all the hammer trees end up with pretty good damage compared to each other, so does it matter too much which ones I work for? Obviously some will be better than the others.
Unless you're end-game offline or going high rank online, there's no real point in using anything besides the Bone Bludgeon+. It's available so early and it's crazy strong.

I guess it depends on how you use a hammer too (spamming superpounds vs flinching into golf swings) but most of the time in LR the element isn't worth it

Emitan

Went into the island to farm some honey and get Mystery Bones. Ran into a Great Jaggi at 2. Kicked his ass so ran away, I spent a while looking for him and finally cornered him at 3. As I'm craving his corpse guess what happens? ANOTHER FUCKING GREAT JAGGI RUNS UP. And then I kicked his ass too.

I love this game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Indeed, this game is almost too good for mortals. The first 10 hours are a bit rough and boring but man, does the fun ramp up exponentially after that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sorry sorry sorry, sometimes the landline phone knocks out the internet for some lame reason. =/ I'm moving soon so I won't have to deal with that soon.

I'll sign on again, but I don't know how stable things will be. :( Hope for the best.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Our white Wii (which was a replacement for our original) has issues connecting to wireless sometimes. At least enough to not hold a great connection in a game like MonHun, so we bought an ethernet adapter for that Wii. It cleared up most disconnects we were having. But yeah, that won't solve shitty internets.

DCharlie

Banned
Since Monster Hunter Portable 3rd was never released in the US, and I was thinking of importing the HD version for PS3. I don't know much Japanese, but I am studying to learn Japanese, so I was thinking I'd use the game to help me learn if I did import a title.

there are enough English language guides out there that would help you get through, but ultimately it's a pain if you don't know Japanese.

*finally* wrapping up 3rd just now. I didn't play it when it first came out (child raising) but now we've had more time, the wife , Jonnyram and I are about there (i.e. final final final boss time)

Ultratech

How many bosses do these things have? :eek:

Counting Bosses (or "large monsters"):

MH1: 17
MHG: 31
Freedom: 48
Freedom Unite: 58
Tri: 18
P3rd: 40
3G: 50

That's numbers taken the MH Wiki. Tri's a bit lacking compared to most of the other games.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I meant like final/secret bosses. :p Anyways I can be on in like 15 minutes if anyone wants to play.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Tri is really polished for what it does, but content wise other games have more (of both monsters and weapons). But a lot of monsters in previous titles are variations of the same monster.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I was wondering (and sorry if this has been asked/covered before), if we get MHP3rd HD for Vita:

1. Would anything stop us from being able to use our old MHP3rd saves from PSP (like you can on the PS3 version)?
2. Would anything stop us from being able to play locally with people on both PS3 and PSP (again, like PSP and PS3 version can play with each other now)?
3. What are the chances of Vita supporting Ad-hoc Party? I realise PS3 currently requires a wired connection for this, but I never really understood why...

If AHP is supported, even on a standard wi-fi model, you could theoretically rock up at your local Starbucks and play 'online'.

How about the 3G model? I'm currently playing Dark Souls (PS3) through a wireless 3G router, and despite frequent internet drops, when online works, it works fine. Makes me think 3G-enabled Monster Hunter would be perfectly stomachable; especially considering there's no PvP.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I got a wireless keyboard today! So now I can post on GAF and MH3... AT THE SAME TIME! =D

It's actually really nice, I wanna buy another one for my PC now lol. It's really thin and the keys are chiclet and really nice.

Ultratech

I was wondering (and sorry if this has been asked/covered before), if we get MHP3rd HD for Vita:

1. Would anything stop us from being able to use our old MHP3rd saves from PSP (like you can on the PS3 version)?
2. Would anything stop us from being able to play locally with people on both PS3 and PSP (again, like PSP and PS3 version can play with each other now)?
3. What are the chances of Vita supporting Ad-hoc Party? I realise PS3 currently requires a wired connection for this, but I never really understood why...

If AHP is supported, even on a standard wi-fi model, you could theoretically rock up at your local Starbucks and play 'online'.

How about the 3G model? I'm currently playing Dark Souls (PS3) through a wireless 3G router, and despite frequent internet drops, when online works, it works fine. Makes me think 3G-enabled Monster Hunter would be perfectly stomachable; especially considering there's no PvP.

1. Hmm...depends if the Vita can read PSP saves or not. No idea if that will work or if the Vita can read old saves like that.

2. If they set it up on the same infrastructure as the PSP/PS3, then probably not.

3. Fairly good? I wouldn't know how the Vita's internal software stuff is made, but it's possible it could support it, I would think.

As for 3G...nah. Would likely be very unstable.

DCharlie

Banned
Looking at this list

YES

once you start getting into higher level quests you'll learn to stop caring about raw damage output and start caring about elemental damage.

For MH3rdP i have elemental boost armour per element + high level Great Sword to match because the damage you do based on element is way higher when used against monsters weak to that element.

Ultimately, if you're going to -really- get into the game you have to start thinking about multiple weapon paths and which upcoming key quest monsters you'll need to take down and what monster/equipment is going to make life easier (though i do accept that hammer users can also go down the KO route).

1. You can copy over your PSP data obviously so as long as there was no block on allowing you to use that save data (and given that's what happens with the PS3 version) then you should be able to drop straight in.

2. Again, you can play a mix of PS3 and PSP with MHP3rdHD on PS3.

3. One advantage of MH3rdG on Vita -and- PSP is if there Vita version has Ad hoc party built into it.

Personally? I'm hoping the next game is Vita exclusive and it's -not- a 3G revision, but rather the start of a new portable Sony series. Basically so that we can have Nintendo having one monster hunter strand and Sony having another but with big enough differences in content so that i'm not repeating if i switch between both. THis way Sony and Nintendo fans get to play MH, but MH fans get to play double MH!

Ultimately, if you're going to -really- get into the game you have to start thinking about multiple weapon paths and which upcoming key quest monsters you'll need to take down and what monster/equipment is going to make life easier (though i do accept that hammer users can also go down the KO route).
I hate to tell people how they "should" play but going for KOs is really the main goal of a hammer user. Hammers are disruptive to teammates and their damage output is middle of the pack at best. So why shy away from its biggest strength (the ability to exhaust/KO consistently)? Sharpness level is the most important attribute of a hammer since it affects how much damage and how much KO is applied. By the time you reach the endgame, two hammers stand out above all other hammers in Tri because only those two can reach purple sharpness.

I don't know which hammer progression is best during the game since I didn't touch them until the endgame. Hopefully, some hammer users can chime in?

DCharlie

Banned
I hate to tell people how they "should" play but going for KOs is really the main goal of a hammer user. Hammers are disruptive to teammates and their damage output is middle of the pack at best. So why shy away from its biggest strength (the ability to exhaust/KO consistently)? Sharpness level is the most important attribute of a hammer since it affects how much damage and how much KO is applied. By the time you reach the endgame, two hammers stand out above all other hammers in Tri because only those two can reach purple sharpness.

I don't know which hammer progression is best during the game since I didn't touch them until the endgame. Hopefully, some hammer users can chime in?

Yup, I've never actually used a hammer outside once or twice, we've talked about introducing it into the team, but we've avoided it mainly becuase we enjoy playing in other roles and we're aiming to finish things off in those specific roles.

I'd be interested in how it pans out in solo , Hammer players?

upandaway

For hammers, the head is the monster. There's no other body part.

Thus, unless the head is specifically very weak to the element, there's not much point. Especially for single player, Bone Bludeon+ (which has no element) is the best hammer and you get it like.. the second you get Monster Bone L, I think.

The only exceptions in solo I can think of are Barroth and Gobul where you're hitting the body (plus Gobul's impact weakness), and there's a lower damage per hit ratio, it's better to use the Peco hammer.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for your input, Ultratech and DCharlie.
It's promising then, I suppose. I certainly wouldn't mind being able to play MHP3rd HD 'online' through a Vita, even if I do have to stay at home/proper wi-fi spots to do it.

Is MH4 confirmed Wii-exclusive or anything yet?
As for the next portable iteration, I'm sure they must be working on something for the Vita now. If I had a 3DS, I would happily play TriG, even without local hunters or online (but it's not quite a system-seller for me). I do love me some MonHan, but I'm waiting for that big title to drop onto Vita, then we'll see about breaking the bank.

Top Bottom