• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Series |OT| of endless grinding fun

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What, right now? No I just signed off. :( Maybe tomorrow, around an hour earlier from right now?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'll try to make it. My wife and I started a couple low level characters (like HR2 and HR5, I believe) a week ago to help one of our new friends, so we could both jump on if we're available.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Coolio, looking forward to it. I haven't logged onto the game online yet so I'll make sure I'm set to go before tomorrow. :p

Ultratech

Stupid egg carrying mission.
KuGsj.gif
I never broke any on the way but seriously, wtf kind of mission was that? Also: lameness at blocking the easy access routes making you go around.

Be glad it wasn't MH1 where it was required... *shudders*

Those quests sucked hard unless you bothered to clear the zone of enemies beforehand. (Or could avoid/evade like a boss, though it wasn't always an option seeing as you were slow as all unholy hell.)

*Carries egg into seemingly cleared zone*
"Sweet, should be easy going from here!"
*Sees 6 Velociprey start swarming on your position*
"Crap..."
*Random Velociprey jumps on you from nowhere, breaking your egg*
"DAMMIT!"

At least the Carrying quests in Tri are pretty easy with the correct gear.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, it wasn't hard. Most of the enemies were too slow.

I have to confess I don't get this gem system for armor though. Also, where do you get Armor Spheres from?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah, it wasn't hard. Most of the enemies were too slow.

I have to confess I don't get this gem system for armor though. Also, where do you get Armor Spheres from?

Armor Spheres can be mined (and crafted). You'll start to find more of them as you do higher level quest and unlock new areas. You'll find some as quest rewards as well.

Jewels are used to give you access to skills, usually completing whatever armor you're wearing. You probably won't have enough materials to craft a lot of great jewels (you need 10+ in most skills to active it), so don't worry about it too much right now. One of the easier jewels to craft is the Vitality Jewel (Dragon Toadstool x2, Aquaglow Jewel x1), which gives you +2 to Health. So if you can equip five of them, you'll have a small health boost.

You'll find a variety of Talisman later too, and those can help in deciding what you want to do with jewels.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Armor Spheres can be mined (and crafted). You'll start to find more of them as you do higher level quest and unlock new areas. You'll find some as quest rewards as well.

Yeah I just got three from killing R Luddy, which made me think about it again. They were the first ones I've gotten since the initial "batch."

Jewels are used to give you access to skills, usually completing whatever armor you're wearing. You probably won't have enough materials to craft a lot of great jewels (you need 10+ in most skills to active it), so don't worry about it too much right now. One of the easier jewels to craft is the Vitality Jewel (Dragon Toadstool x2, Aquaglow Jewel x1), which gives you +2 to Health. So if you can equip five of them, you'll have a small health boost.

Ah, OK. Thanks for the tip.

You'll find a variety of Talisman later too, and those can help in deciding what you want to do with jewels.

Oh yeah speaking of, I sort of understand that system but not really. :p

Also I actually do get the ChaCha mask stuff but I can tell it's probably a lot deeper than I think.

Oh and is there a reason to spend a lot of time messing around in the farm in SP? I don't really need much of anything other than Blue Mushrooms and Honey most of the time, so I use it for that, but otherwise I don't.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Farm is really only useful for Honey later on. You can trade for Honey in such large batches online though, the farm really becomes sort of pointless. Still handy earlier on when you don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars to just buy everything though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
But there's like tons of bee hives all over Moga Woods... People don't go there to get it?

Peru

Gets a bit tiresome when big monsters roam Moga and.. well, you do have to walk a bit for it. Better to just farm it.

Chuckpebble

Farm is really only useful for Honey later on. You can trade for Honey in such large batches online though, the farm really becomes sort of pointless. Still handy earlier on when you don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars to just buy everything though.

My farm is a money factory. I grow stormsender seeds, hunt during the day, sleep at night, sell all but 3 and repeat. Its a terrific money source for offline.

Wazzim

Banned
But there's like tons of bee hives all over Moga Woods... People don't go there to get it?

I always do on a new game, comes very handy. Like others said though, you'll get tons of honey from the farm after upgrading it later on so people don't bother collecting them on quests anymore.

upandaway

Whoa really? I'm like the opposite.

I have so much honey that I'm using Energy Drinks instead of steaks. And never, ever enough money. NEVER enough money. And I'm usually running all stormsender.
(though I guess I had that coming doing all melee classes and then adding guns on top of that)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My farm is a money factory. I grow stormsender seeds, hunt during the day, sleep at night, sell all but 3 and repeat. Its a terrific money source for offline.

Compared to what you could be making online, even with some of the easy delivery quest, it's not that great. At a lower level, just starting out it can be handy, but given that you also have to put in time with single player to farm, I don't love it anymore. If I could use the farm online, it might have more of a use for me.

Whoa really? I'm like the opposite.

I have so much honey that I'm using Energy Drinks instead of steaks. And never, ever enough money. NEVER enough money. And I'm usually running all stormsender.
(though I guess I had that coming doing all melee classes and then adding guns on top of that)

I always use Mega Dash Juice. It helps a lot as a hammer and switch axe user, plus it means I don't have to bring meats along with me. Honey is easier to trade for online than Farming it too, so Honey is never an issue.

And I always have enough money. Around 400 hours in, and since I've mostly stopped making armor and weapons a while ago, the money just piles up. I can pretty much afford to buy any of the basic materials I need.

It's much faster to trade for them online (Sharpened Fangs trade for Honey). You can farm Fangs for an hour and trade it for hundreds and hundreds of Honey. Collecting Honey is good early on, but farming (once your farm is upgraded) and especially trading for it is much less time consuming.

Emitan

So you can farm offline and trade online?

And what weapon do you recommend for Great Jaggi? Lance doesn't really seem like a good weapon for him, but I can probably make it work eventually.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So you can farm offline and trade online?

And what weapon do you recommend for Great Jaggi? Lance doesn't really seem like a good weapon for him, but I can probably make it work eventually.

There is a farm for Single Player offline. And there is a NPC online that rotates goods that you can trade for (and another NPC that sometimes sells 'rare' goods).

Great Jaggi is weak to Fire type weapons, but any weapon type can be good against it. It's more a matter of learning your weapon. Lance is a pretty powerful weapon, but has a bit of a steeper learning curve than something like SnS, or Hammer, I think. Try to remember blocking with the Lance is one of the best points for using it. I see a lot of Lance users trying to dodge like they were Hammer users, and they get run over. You might just try changing weapons until you find one that sticks. You can always go back to Lance later, after you've learned monster attack patterns and have a better feel for the game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm really warming up to Great Sword, even after using Long Sword all the time in the demo. I'm afraid I'm going to get too used to blocking though and miss it when I finally get LS again lol.

upandaway

I'm really warming up to Great Sword, even after using Long Sword all the time in the demo. I'm afraid I'm going to get too used to blocking though and miss it when I finally get LS again lol.
You're using the autoblock right? Recipe for disaster, man.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
No, I've started blocking when I see the need to. At first I did though since I didn't even know you could block. :p

Flashbugs and Godbugs are the key "crops" once you have way more zenny and honey than you need. I can't be bothered to grind for Rheno scalps or w/e to trade for them and gathering them with the net is even more yawn inducing.

Side benefit of using the offline farm in the endgame is taking advantage of the offline fishermen at the same time. Coupled with Moga mining, it's easily the best way to amass Scatterfish. Grilling steaks or grinding the offline exclusive boss for gems are other ways to advance the farm after you "beaten" offline.

Try not to depend on blocking with the GS. Unlike the other blocking weapons, since you're blocking with your weapon instead of a shield, your weapon loses sharpness with each block. Correct positioning relative to the monster is key with the GS so focus on that - it gets easier once you're familiar with the monsters' patterns.

Ken

I'll try to make it. My wife and I started a couple low level characters (like HR2 and HR5, I believe) a week ago to help one of our new friends, so we could both jump on if we're available.

Coolio, looking forward to it. I haven't logged onto the game online yet so I'll make sure I'm set to go before tomorrow. :p

I have a low rank Gunner that I started awhile ago but never really got around to playing with, so I'd be interesting in joining in if you have space for a fourth.

Orayn

Personally, I've all but forgotten than GS can block since it soaks up so little damage on non-trivial attacks.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Try not to depend on blocking with the GS. Unlike the other blocking weapons, since you're blocking with your weapon instead of a shield, your weapon loses sharpness with each block. Correct positioning relative to the monster is key with the GS so focus on that - it gets easier once you're familiar with the monsters' patterns.

Yeah, I get that. And it is getting easier. Sometimes I just have to block though, even knowing it decreases sharpness.

I have a low rank Gunner that I started awhile ago but never really got around to playing with, so I'd be interesting in joining in if you have space for a fourth.

It's fine with me, we start tonight at around 10pm EST.

Personally, I've all but forgotten than GS can block since it soaks up so little damage on non-trivial attacks.

What do you mean?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Accidentally killed R Luddy instead of trapping it. He didn't limp.

HE DIDN'T LIMP

Yuripaw

Banned
So I was thinking getting into the Monster Hunter series, but I'm not sure what game to get. Which one would you guys recommend? I'm picking up a Vita this month, so I was considering Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, but from what I understand, that's not even the latest PSP release. I guess I'm not sure if I'd wanna bother with that one if there are significant improvements to later entries like Portable 3rd.

Since Monster Hunter Portable 3rd was never released in the US, and I was thinking of importing the HD version for PS3. I don't know much Japanese, but I am studying to learn Japanese, so I was thinking I'd use the game to help me learn if I did import a title.

Basically as a newcomer to the series, which one is the best one?

Accidentally killed R Luddy instead of trapping it. He didn't limp.

HE DIDN'T LIMP

It happens occasionally, sometimes you have to slow down on a capture if you feel like you're too much of a badass and carrying too much momentum. Either that or you can employ certain armor skills to help you with that.

Anybody want to play tonight? I can be on about...4 hours from the time of this post.

Ultratech

So I was thinking getting into the Monster Hunter series, but I'm not sure what game to get. Which one would you guys recommend? I'm picking up a Vita this month, so I was considering Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, but from what I understand, that's not even the latest PSP release. I guess I'm not sure if I'd wanna bother with that one if there are significant improvements to later entries like Portable 3rd.

Since Monster Hunter Portable 3rd was never released in the US, and I was thinking of importing the HD version for PS3. I don't know much Japanese, but I am studying to learn Japanese, so I was thinking I'd use the game to help me learn if I did import a title.

Basically as a newcomer to the series, which one is the best one?

Unite is ok if you want to experience the "old" MH. Tri is more recent, and it came with a lot of changes that carry over to the more recent games (Portable 3rd and 3G).

Tri is probably a good starting point, I'd imagine. Definitely wouldn't import P3rd HD if you have no idea what to do, since that'll just confuse you. There is an English Patch for P3rd, but you need a PSP with Custom Firmware to use it. (Which I won't go into for obvious reasons.)

If you're still curious about Unite, it's pretty good. Just be aware that it has some different things that apply to it compared to later games.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Online right now. Valor 4 > Server 18 > Room 18. Using my low level character, so feel free to join with like-characters!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ah, here we go:

Andrex|Andrex (ID4J5X)|MHTri|USA

What server/city gate/whatever we playing on? What does "Valor 4" mean? Edit- OIC

Edit 2-

XI2kf.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
@Billy OK, be there in a sec! We'll do whatever you want since I don't know how to work things. :p

@Shadow sorry, next time man! :p

(Is this the most active this thread has been online-wise? lol)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think Billy got a scale, but yeah I got nothing. Still it was productive, Gluebug was one of the prizes so I can finally do that thing in single player.

Like I said there, I should be available most nights around 10pm+ eastern.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Should I turn this Choice Sponge into Resources? Anything else it's used for? Same with this Strange Beak.

Top Bottom