• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Series |OT| of endless grinding fun

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Vita'll always have Portable 3rd HD. Or not. Maybe. Could be. Possibly. Not really. Probably.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I won't be able to play until at least Sunday night. :( Never got to try out my new keyboard. :( :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I can play! Anyone up for some rounds in like 20 or 30 minutes instead of watching that lame-o baseball game or whatever?

Edit- Mondriaan and I are on Greed 1, Gate 26, City 28.

Edit 2- We're done for now.

So you can farm offline and trade online?

And what weapon do you recommend for Great Jaggi? Lance doesn't really seem like a good weapon for him, but I can probably make it work eventually.

The lance is just fine, you can side step a few times when he turns around to whack you with his tail or block when he tries to body slam.

The lance counter isn't very easy to use on smaller monsters. And by smaller I mean anything below Rathalos. The only real good use for it I can think of is Barroth's shoulder slam.

Lances are REALLY unforgiving if they bounce off leaving you vulnerable for a while, hence I don't recommend that new players take up a lance until they get one with green sharpness or better to practice with.

Lances are REALLY unforgiving if they bounce off leaving you vulnerable for a while
Yeah, no kidding. Arena Barroth kept turning his head into my upstab and I wasn't able to block his charge in time because of the bounce animation. Good news is that after an afternoon of arena grinding, I'm finally done with my LR hammer set. And somehow I feel like I've improved my lancing skills a little bit.
Barioth is still a dick though so I'll have to learn to lance it better to improve my Wyvern Trio times

upandaway

The hardest weapon for me to handle is still the bowgun (Lance remains the easiest but that's only because I use it so much).

With pretty much every melee weapon, there are still the occasional couple of seconds where I can just sort of mellow out and not think about anything despite fighting the monster at close range, just out of sheer muscle memory. With bowguns, every second in a zone with a monster is 100% focus to the point of sweat. I think it's the extra layer of bullet types that does it to me.

The hardest weapon for me to handle is still the bowgun (Lance remains the easiest but that's only because I use it so much).
Haha, I'm the exact opposite. I have poor camera control skills - too often I find myself upstabbing the air instead of the monster when it blocks the camera and I haven't yet adjusted my view.
yes, I know I should learn to use the d-pad for camera control when upstabbing
The minimal need to adjust the camera more than a few degrees when gunning suits me perfectly.

Ultratech

With pretty much every melee weapon, there are still the occasional couple of seconds where I can just sort of mellow out and not think about anything despite fighting the monster at close range, just out of sheer muscle memory. With bowguns, every second in a zone with a monster is 100% focus to the point of sweat. I think it's the extra layer of bullet types that does it to me.

Yeah, I have trouble with the bowguns too. Very complex and Tri kinda complicates it a bit by having custom parts (sort of a good and bad thing...). I guess nobody else really cared too much for that much bowgun customization, since it got dropped in later games.

But yeah, it's a whole different ballgame fighting a monster with a bowgun as opposed to using Blademaster weapons.

The only reason I've used one is to cheese Ala. Blew my mind how fast you could drop it with 4 Gunners spamming Clust on the wings/back.

EuroMIX

I've actually owned the game for a while, but I haven't progressed past the Qurupeco capture quest largely because he ended up summoning a Rathian which I wasn't prepared for, so I gave up.

I'm pretty awful at the game to be honest. My favourite weapon so far is probably the Switch-Axe, but after watching an online video guide I realise that I'm probably not using it properly. I tend to spam the uppercut and downward swing the most, and I haven't got a handle on using the sword mode.

I booted the game back up today after ages and tried out the Rhenoplos slaying quest and ended up randomly fighting two Great Jaggi's one after the other along the way.

I remember when I first completed the Great Jaggi quest and how shocked I was when one suddenly turned up behind me in the field. xD
I didn't realise until then that bosses you defeat in quests can randomly appear in the field.

I'm not much of an online gamer so I haven't played the game online.

Yeah, I have trouble with the bowguns too. Very complex and Tri kinda complicates it a bit by having custom parts (sort of a good and bad thing...). I guess nobody else really cared too much for that much bowgun customization, since it got dropped in later games.
I'm going to miss the bowgun customization in future installments. :'( The core gunning mechanics are definitely complicated compared to blade weapons but once you learn the basics, making a gun that suits your style is awesome. The variety in the class dwarfs any other weapon class in the game - I really hope that characteristic isn't lost with the ability to customize gun builds.

I've actually owned the game for a while, but I haven't progressed past the Qurupeco capture quest largely because he ended up summoning a Rathian which I wasn't prepared for, so I gave up.

~snip~

I'm not much of an online gamer so I haven't played the game online.
Throwing poo bombs at monsters will sometimes make them leave the area. Separating multiple monsters is key until you get better at multitasking while hunting. Alternatively, you can try Sonic bombing Peco before it summons another monster. Don't get discouraged, there are many instances where we fail in this game but it just makes the triumphs that much more satisfying. :lol

Don't know what you mean by not being much of an online gamer but the online community is generally quite helpful and multiplayer hunts are very fun. If you insist on playing solo, you still have the option to experience the online content that way but it's considerably tougher than the offline monsters.

Strife91

I don't know if I want to play this game any more. I've played more than 4 hours today and I haven't completed a single quest during that time. I'm tired of hunters that don't heal when they have less than a third of their HP left. I'm tired of hunters charging at monsters mindlessly.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Billy and I are gonna play tomorrow night! Don't really have a set time yet but I was thinking 9-ish or later (but not too late, can't go past midnight. I gots a job now. :( )

If two of you other guys want to jump in that'd be great.

Wazzim

Banned
I don't know if I want to play this game any more. I've played more than 4 hours today and I haven't completed a single quest during that time. I'm tired of hunters that don't heal when they have less than a third of their HP left. I'm tired of hunters charging at monsters mindlessly.

Surely that's not the case with high rank hunters? Unless they're all using hacks or something.

What kind of quests are we talking here? If you're referring to some of the high level quests, yes, it can be a pain to find a good group. Even for those quests, 4 hours without a successful quest is extreme - find a different group if you're playing with a bad one.

Billy and I are gonna play tomorrow night! Don't really have a set time yet but I was thinking 9-ish or later (but not too late, can't go past midnight. I gots a job now. :( )

If two of you other guys want to jump in that'd be great.
What time zone are you guys?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
K. I'll have to get off for a bit at 10 since I'm doing laundry but I won't be too long.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
greetings all, I apologize if i'm crazy late to the party on this, and please excuse my abject ignorance, but...

I loved Tri and played the crap out of it. is it known if there are any plans to bring the ps3 version to NA?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'll be playing single player but watching this thread, if someone gets on just post and I'll be on shortly.

greetings all, I apologize if i'm crazy late to the party on this, and please excuse my abject ignorance, but...

I loved Tri and played the crap out of it. is it known if there are any plans to bring the ps3 version to NA?

You mean Portable 3rd HD? That's not really a version of Tri.

And nobody knows if it'll come here.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Seems like Billy and I play randomly. "Hey you wanna play tomorrow?" "OK!" sort of deal. the rest in this thread then glomp on, seems like. Feel free to join us right now, we're on Valor 4, City 8.

remist

Seems like Billy and I play randomly. "Hey you wanna play tomorrow?" "OK!" sort of deal. the rest in this thread then glomp on, seems like. Feel free to join us right now, we're on Valor 4, City 8.

If I can get my wii hooked up I might get on, its been a while so ill probly suck. Game name is Hunter.

Edit- aight maybe some other time.

well did you get in or what

Sure did. It was fun hunting low rank monsters with some of the weaker weapons I haven't upgraded and never use. I just passed HR300 recently. I used to think HR100 felt so out of reach back in the day. At the rate Monster Hunter titles are being localized who knows how long it will take for ACE to make his triumphant return. You know you want it. Let me see "ACE has entered the city" again! Your wii might have you know...fixed itself or something.

You can paint armor?

That bnahabra suit that I was wearing was not the sexy purple it was by default. Like Little Green Yoda said, it's high rank/upgraded gear only. Some armors allow you to change the color of entire piece while others you can only change a tiny section of the piece.

Boney

Banned
Sure did. It was fun hunting low rank monsters with some of the weaker weapons I haven't upgraded and never use. I just passed HR300 recently. I used to think HR100 felt so out of reach back in the day. At the rate Monster Hunter titles are being localized who knows how long it will take for ACE to make his triumphant return. You know you want it. Let me see "ACE has entered the city" again! Your wii might have you know...fixed itself or something.

Well the HDD I got to fix it was stolen by my brother and taken hostage into another country. I do need to play RH and SS, so I guess I'll be getting another one or something.

plus i was always on before you, so you never saw such message hmph

Also, weren't you able to change to red, blue or white before high rank, and after you could have more colors?

Well the HDD I got to fix it was stolen by my brother and taken hostage into another country. I do need to play RH and SS, so I guess I'll be getting another one or something.

Also, weren't you able to change to red, blue or white before high rank, and after you could have more colors?

Ah yes I forgot about that. Change appearance -> Change symbol Color gives you the option of changing low rank armor blue, red or white. I think you need to kill Ceadues and complete single player though I am not 100% on that. You are limited to those colors and cannot color individual pieces different colors.

Sorry about the disconnect last night, guys. Router has been acting up and I think I was having weird latency issues as well. Gonna try some different settings and see if things improve.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm going to bump this and check:

Anyone with a Vita and a PS3 have MHFU? I'm thinking of picking it up to play some ad-hoc, but I want to make sure there are a few GAF users that would be able to get online with it - much more fun that way. :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anyone wanna play at like 9pm EST tonight? Friday + MH3 = match made in heaven.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'll be on at 9:30 actually and will only be able to play for about an hour, but I'll try to get on tomorrow night too! :D

Valor 4 / City 8 / Gate 18, right now.

Peru

How difficult is Freedom Unite / MHPG2 considered to be relative to the other games? Only played Tri before (not too far yet, 2nd lagi meeting), but after getting my Vita I've put in about 12 hours with FU.. Met no challenge until Khezu - this blind slime took away half of my health bar for every hit and survived what I felt was a very solid number of clean great sword hits. I got him but had to waste too many potions for my taste.

Top Bottom