• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World |OT| Where The Wild Things Are

Grinchy

Banned
I've been playing a decent amount of this lately out of nowhere. I keep thinking $40 is too steep for the expansion, but I might just have to buy it anyway.

I hate this process of getting the gold crowns, but it has made me learn every monster better. Sometimes I just get bored of loading the mission and just kill the bastard for fun.

Terce

Just jumped into world for the first time after playing monster hunter originally back on PSP. Got into HR a couple days ago and have been getting stomped pretty hard. I've been jumping around weapons pretty rapidly, trying to find something that fits my play style and is enjoyable for sustained play and so far have seen some good success with the hammer and charge blade.
I feel like I'm running into a wall against some monsters with these weapons though so I'm wondering if there is a good long sword or dual blade that I should look into crafting that can serve me as I grind out better armor. Is the Jho stuff pretty solid all around?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Just jumped into world for the first time after playing monster hunter originally back on PSP. Got into HR a couple days ago and have been getting stomped pretty hard. I've been jumping around weapons pretty rapidly, trying to find something that fits my play style and is enjoyable for sustained play and so far have seen some good success with the hammer and charge blade.
I feel like I'm running into a wall against some monsters with these weapons though so I'm wondering if there is a good long sword or dual blade that I should look into crafting that can serve me as I grind out better armor. Is the Jho stuff pretty solid all around?
When in doubt, abuse the monster mounting mechanics. Out of the weapons you mentioned, Hammer is good because it gets free jumps/mounts when sliding down inclines.

Why do you like charge blade? I think it got pretty nerfed compared to 4U and Generations, so maybe give the Lance a try? Highly mobile, high DPS, very "safe" weapon.

Pejo

Are any of you guys on PC? I played for a long time on PS4 then switched to PC for performance reasons. Now I'm so far behind, especially with these event quests. I'd like to knock out some of them while they're up for the summer event. Anyone up for a group to hammer out event quests tonight/this weekend?

Terce

When in doubt, abuse the monster mounting mechanics. Out of the weapons you mentioned, Hammer is good because it gets free jumps/mounts when sliding down inclines.

Why do you like charge blade? I think it got pretty nerfed compared to 4U and Generations, so maybe give the Lance a try? Highly mobile, high DPS, very "safe" weapon.
Charge blade felt pretty fun as the combos made sense, the biggest issue I've been having in HR is enough uptime on monsters to charge phials quickly. Where with the hammer you just knock them down and go to town on the head.

Honestly maybe I'll just go back to the hammer for now I've found myself having trouble finding openings unless playing in a group. Maybe the range on the HH would work better.

In general are the Jho weapons a good bet? I have the mats to make most of them but want to make sure I'm not wasting them on a crap weapon for that particular type

also Pejo Pejo I'm on PC and fresh into the HR stuff. If you'll have me along I'd love to join you over the weekend / weekday evenings

Last edited:

Pejo

Charge blade felt pretty fun as the combos made sense, the biggest issue I've been having in HR is enough uptime on monsters to charge phials quickly. Where with the hammer you just knock them down and go to town on the head.

Honestly maybe I'll just go back to the hammer for now I've found myself having trouble finding openings unless playing in a group. Maybe the range on the HH would work better.

In general are the Jho weapons a good bet? I have the mats to make most of them but want to make sure I'm not wasting them on a crap weapon for that particular type

also Pejo Pejo I'm on PC and fresh into the HR stuff. If you'll have me along I'd love to join you over the weekend / weekday evenings
PMed you my Steam info. Jho weapons are pretty great in general. I'm sure as you play around some more you'll naturally fall into a weapon. Also, depending on what you're fighting, a weapon can have a vastly different feel. For instance, I hate low reach weapons like hammer or DB on any of the rath family.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Hammer is very fun. HH is also very fun. Jho weapons are great. With the expansion coming out, there will be more Jho weapons on the various upgrade paths, so it's worth acquiring pretty much any portion of the weapon tree at this point.

Charge Blade was my most-used weapon in 4U, so I'm not dogging it. Fun weapon, but like you said it's hard to keep up pressure to get phials. Make use of your guard points, when you can. My standard operating procedure in 4U was to dump my first set of phials to get a Red Shield/Axe, then build up phials again for supers, guard-pointing with the red shield as necessary. MHW nerfed it a bit but the approach still works quite well. It's all about getting into the flow of the weapon and dictating the pace of the battle, irrespective of the monster you're fighting.

Terce

Crafted the Jho HH last night and got in a few hunts with it, I really like the hammer feeling with the longer reach and being able to support my fellow hunters with more attack and defense felt great. I think I'll work on crafting up some good supporting armor pieces and stick with the HH for a while.

Pejo

Crafted the Jho HH last night and got in a few hunts with it, I really like the hammer feeling with the longer reach and being able to support my fellow hunters with more attack and defense felt great. I think I'll work on crafting up some good supporting armor pieces and stick with the HH for a while.
Yea HH is great. The only thing it's missing in MHW, I feel, is a good finisher or a punish attack when the monster's down. The moment to moment fighting with it feels great, especially when you can start comboing intelligently to be able to play songs while attacking.

Also, I didn't realize, the summer events only last until 5PM Pacific time tonight, what a bummer. I couldn't really play last night so I think I'll have to catch them on the next big event. Still, I'm up for some group hunts, I haven't touched the game in a while so I'm rusty as hell right now.

Terce

I'm EST but should be on pretty late tonight cause I took the day off tomorrow. Probably around 10 or so for a few hours

Do events typically rotate? I still don't really understand what is "exclusive" about the current event but I have obtained a few costumes this week

Pejo

I'm EST but should be on pretty late tonight cause I took the day off tomorrow. Probably around 10 or so for a few hours

Do events typically rotate? I still don't really understand what is "exclusive" about the current event but I have obtained a few costumes this week
I think for the bigger events (halloween, summer, christmas) they generally open up all the old quests for a limited time. Then you have limited time specific events (like the original runs of Witcher and FFXIV collabs). I wish after a certain amount of time they were just perma-available, but it is what it is.

Whitesnake

Banned
I give up on AT Nergigante.

When AT Nergigante first came out I'd run attempt after attempt after attempt. My closest attempt was one where I got him to where he was limping and his minimap icon had the little skull over it. I fought him for a long while in his den, with the game constanly reminding me of how much time I had left.

"10 minutes left."

"5 minutes left."

This timer caused me to panic slightly, I started taking risks to do more damage hoping that I could get the kill in before the timer ran out.

Those risks caused me to die. 47 minutes engaged with the strongest enemy in the game (besides maybe EX Behemoth?) and I got nothing from it.

Now, that was months. With this whole 5-week event thing, I was hoping I could get more gamma armor pieces, more Kjärr weapons, and more augmentation materials so that I could get a better build to use against this thing.

And that's exactly what I did. I've farmed AT Kushala, AT Teostra, AT Zorah, and AT Kulve Taroth to the point that I have full sets of all their gamma armor (all of which I have gotten to 96 defense per piece) and as any Kjarr weapons as I could care to have.

And today I did a single run against AT Nergigante.

It happened again. The exact same scenario played out. Got him to low health with only one faint, fought him for a while in his den, time started to run out, I played more aggressive and died twice in relatively short succession. Another 45+ minutes wasted.

At this point I figure I've probably spent at least 15 cumulative hours of my life just fighting AT Nergigante, and I have absolutely nothing to show for it.

I wanted to do it now because I didn't want to cheese the fight with G Rank gear once Iceborne comes out, and also before the Iceborne patch nerfs the Temporal mantle. I wanted beat him solo with skill alone using only the materials I could in the game up to that point.

But my morale's just destroyed at this point. I don't care about it anymore.

/rant

Terce

Credits rolled last night, the big "end boss" dragon was really easy compared to the 3 elders leading up to him.

I've fallen back to the hammer for now as the most fun I'm having is sliding down hills or jumping off walls into the pinwheel of death. Now I need to look more into the supporting armor skills to make sure that I'm not totally gimping myself going against tempered monsters.

Pejo

Credits rolled last night, the big "end boss" dragon was really easy compared to the 3 elders leading up to him.

I've fallen back to the hammer for now as the most fun I'm having is sliding down hills or jumping off walls into the pinwheel of death. Now I need to look more into the supporting armor skills to make sure that I'm not totally gimping myself going against tempered monsters.
Congrats! Yea, Xeno is (literally) a big baby. Lots of HP though, and it's really tough to find people that are on board with breaking his head for horns, at least in my experience. I never really played hammer, so I'm not sure what an endgame loadout looks like for them.

I put in quite a few hours over the weekend, finally caught up on some of the event quests, but there's still so many to go. I finished out the Mega Man palico set, as well as the Dante armor and CB, Assassin's Creed Mantle and outfit, Azure Star stuff, Gala stuff, Wyvern Blade Ignition, the tickle dusters, Geralt set and weapons, as well as made some progress in the main game. I'm at the Tempered Kirin right now, and I remember from my console days that I had to wuss out and build a bow set and beat him that way. Then I built my trusty bow, and remembered that my armor is -12 thunder resist, so now I need to build a thunder resist set. I figured that's a decent stopping point. I'd have to say the grind that felt the longest was the Dante set. That quest, while not too difficult, takes a bit of time, and you need to run it 7 times for all of the gear. I think I read that they added a layered set for the Dante armor, but I'm assuming you have to have arch tempered unlocked or something since I don't see it available and I never made it that far on PS4.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally grabbed the Iceborne DLC since it's on sale. The friend I played the entire base game with for hundreds of hours bought it as well.

So far, neither of us has upgraded or changed our equipment in any way whatsoever and we just beat the Coral Pukei monster. His water blast was definitely ripping us apart, but we still beat it without any faints. TBH I was expecting this DLC to be a little harder when I read that base game equipment would be useless. Maybe it just starts off easy?

I finally grabbed the Iceborne DLC since it's on sale. The friend I played the entire base game with for hundreds of hours bought it as well.

So far, neither of us has upgraded or changed our equipment in any way whatsoever and we just beat the Coral Pukei monster. His water blast was definitely ripping us apart, but we still beat it without any faints. TBH I was expecting this DLC to be a little harder when I read that base game equipment would be useless. Maybe it just starts off easy?
Obviously, I mean you still have to be able to kill monsters in the first place to get new armor and weapons.

Last edited:

Shouta

There's quite a few monsters in Iceborne so that Coral Pukei is just a start, lol. Honestly, the ramp from Vanilla MHW into Iceborne is really well-designed and smooth for most folks. I applaud the dev team for doing such an amazing job with that aspect in particular.

Grinchy

Banned
We're about to fight Velkhana and it's been pretty much a cake-walk so far. Don't get me wrong, I'm liking this a lot. It's great to be on the grind again. I just expected it to be more difficult is all. The new area looks great and I love the snow interactivity.

The loading times feel like they have all doubled, it's really bizarre how many monster hunts aren't done in the new area, and most of the new monsters just use Odogaron's constantly jumping around mechanics, but I am liking it overall.

Liftplus

If you fought AT elder dragons iceborne should be too hard, remember some people had problems with low rank quests (hell, my friend spent 3 days trying to kill Anjatah solo).

So, who is playing this on PC and wants to carry my ass around? 😂

I just killed the Pailolumu (typo..) bat/ballon thingie.

I suck at this game big time haha 😅

Even with my Freedom Unite and 3G experience.

What weapon is a good alternative to sword and shield? I barely use the shield as is. I need to be very mobile/agile though to not faint all the time.

Last edited:

Shouta

For mobility, I think Dual Blades, Insect Glaive, and light bowgun probably fit the bill? The first 2 are melee while the bowgun is ranged. Those and the evade and stamina skills will let you be really quick and agile. I play on PS4 so no dice for a carry, lol

Grinchy

Banned
I think hammer is surprisingly agile. You just dodge attacks and smash faces and it's fun as hell. I haven't been able to go back to long sword ever since getting into the hammer.

Amaranty

I think hammer is surprisingly agile. You just dodge attacks and smash faces and it's fun as hell. I haven't been able to go back to long sword ever since getting into the hammer.
I'm trying to get into long sword but the 4 x R2 combo seems quite long to level up your spirit gauge, usually the monsters will move or attack. I know I have to properly utilize foresight slash so I could level spirit gauge more easily but it's difficult to time monster attacks and sometimes they do two moves in continuation so I still get hit after the first dodge.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm trying to get into long sword but the 4 x R2 combo seems quite long to level up your spirit gauge, usually the monsters will move or attack. I know I have to properly utilize foresight slash so I could level spirit gauge more easily but it's difficult to time monster attacks and sometimes they do two moves in continuation so I still get hit after the first dodge.
haha hell yeah man, that's what I love about the game. Finding out where and when you can get in the awkwardly long combos is what keeps us going.

Hammer has combos that are like 6 hits long where missing the 2nd hit causes you not to be able to get to the last one, which is the one that does most of the damage. So you're always screaming at the TV about how the monster flinched before the last strike :messenger_tears_of_joy:

How is the Hammer in terms of speed and handling versus the sword and shield?

Dont the Dual Blades and the Bowgun do little to no damage?

Thanks for the answers too, guys!

Blows me away how bad randos are vs Blackveil Vaal Hazak.

lots of people just focus on the optimal dps build and never think about any defense. that and some people just never look into how a practical monster attacks.

btw, you probably want to post on the Iceborne thread now

Manus

lots of people just focus on the optimal dps build and never think about any defense. that and some people just never look into how a practical monster attacks.

btw, you probably want to post on the Iceborne thread now

Whoops I searched and found this thread, thanks!

Fuchalmania

Just started playing this on PS5. Anyone recommend some tips video/s for a person new to the franchise? Happy to explore on my own and stuff; just want to know what things to avoid doing early on which could ruin my journey and late game.

Raven117

Just started playing this on PS5. Anyone recommend some tips video/s for a person new to the franchise? Happy to explore on my own and stuff; just want to know what things to avoid doing early on which could ruin my journey and late game.
Don't over think it too much, but do spend some time with the weapons and get a feel for which one really works for you.

There are plenty of articles online that kinda say which weapons are better for beginners...and so forth, maybe use it as a guide, but don't treat them as gospel.

Once you do that, then take a look at some basic upgrades for the weapon and armor. The upgrade paths (while MUCH easier now in MHW) will give you a sense of what you are lookign for and what is really effective for you.

Other than that, go forth and hunt! Monster Hunter is an absolutely great franchise and Im glad its getting the attention it deserves.

Fuchalmania

Don't over think it too much, but do spend some time with the weapons and get a feel for which one really works for you.

There are plenty of articles online that kinda say which weapons are better for beginners...and so forth, maybe use it as a guide, but don't treat them as gospel.

Once you do that, then take a look at some basic upgrades for the weapon and armor. The upgrade paths (while MUCH easier now in MHW) will give you a sense of what you are lookign for and what is really effective for you.

Other than that, go forth and hunt! Monster Hunter is an absolutely great franchise and Im glad its getting the attention it deserves.
Thanks so much, Raven. I'll keep it simple and enjoy the ride.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I heard they included so me new armors at the start, I think they are called Defender and Guardian gear. Don't use that, as it meant to rush the game until the Iceborne part. Start with the Leather gear or you'll experience a very boring and easy start for the game.

Last edited:

Raven117

Thanks so much, Raven. I'll keep it simple and enjoy the ride.
Best way to do it. MHW does a good job of not completely drowning you in systems right off the bat.

But yeah, once you get your weapon picked out. Know generally what path you want to take it (like paralysis, fire, dragon, etc), then you can work towards that, while picking armor (and its perks...perks are big), that help you. Guides on line will help you with this until you get a better sense of how you play, but this will get you to end game easy.

Enjoy the ride!

Last edited:

GymWolf

There is anyone here who still play this one? Both ps4 or pc.

Did anyone tested the framerate on ps5?!

Last edited:

GymWolf

As in base world only, or including Iceborne? They pretty much railroad you into Iceborne now with the guardian armor/weapons.
I was not asking for that, but playing the mh rise demo only made me want to replay world again, for me is just the much superior game.

I was thinking about a light bowgun run and i wanted to know if some gaffer was available for some coop but then i thought that doing coop between italy and us can be tricky because of the different hour...

I own the game on console and pc so if anyone want some company give me a heads up.

Top Bottom