Monster Hunter World |OT| Where The Wild Things Are

Pejo

Jul 1, 2009
I'm still earlyish game around rank 9. Any early OP weapons I should be aware of, or just grind ahead to endgame for now?
Just pick the highest raw damage weapon you can easily make in low rank for your selected weapon. I wouldn't spend any longer grinding in low rank than you have to. You will be fighting all the same monsters again in High Rank for more/better rewards. Once you hit high rank, it's probably worth it to start being more deliberate. You get hard capped at how far along you can upgrade by the story anyways.

Which weapon do you mainly use?

AgentP

Jun 5, 2011
I'm still earlyish game around rank 9. Any early OP weapons I should be aware of, or just grind ahead to endgame for now?
There is no real OP weapon class. Pick something you can stay alive with, like sword and shield. Also spend those armor cores, they become obsolete, there are 4-5 types. You don't really grind until after the story, so just keep completing stuff including side stuff to unlock the biology stuff and new mantles. You can see who gives the quest and that is a hint at the reward (or look it up).

nephilimdj

Jan 31, 2011
Straya
The DMC event is so annoying, twice got to tetra with random just for them to be melted. I mean 50+ players should have anti-fire armor like black diablo's. Instead there using youtube/gamefaqs high damage sets.
I think I will just skip this event

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Aug 4, 2015
Have finally managed to beat the two bazelgeuse.

All the advice of just let them beat each other up never happened in my numerous attempts.

PuppetMaster

Jun 12, 2007
I finally have the Small crown trophy for gold small crowns on all monsters. But the Large crowns are eluding me!

I still need 7 more large ones. Its probably just RNG. But somehow Large has been rarer for me than small.

Nitty_Grimes

Aug 4, 2015
Augmentations? Is there a specific way to obtain these now?

Reading the wiki it says you may have already picked up the items needed along the way, but not me.

Mar 3, 2014
Augmentations? Is there a specific way to obtain these now?

Reading the wiki it says you may have already picked up the items needed along the way, but not me.
basically you need to farm tempered monsters for those stones to drop. different stones for different tier and type weapons and now it should be easier to farm them with the patch from a while ago. PM me if you need help and are on PS4

#miller

May 7, 2014
Germany
Hey, since Dauntless has me hyped again for this game and I am still waiting for the PC version of it - is there any news for us PC players? Last thing I have is only the sparse release window.

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
Been kind of busy, so I am just now start it up. I feel kind of overwhelmed by the menu systems :/ coming from mostly playing MHFU (600+ hours woohoo). I've never really done MMOs, and this looks like the ones my GF plays. Lots and lots and lots of menus and more cluttered UI.

On the plus side, the new weapons/changes to weapons look fun. I was always Hammer/HBG/LS, and the Insect Glaive has my attention just for the vaulting. That feels awesome, and with mounting monsters I'm guessing it will be pretty useful.

For some reason the control feel really different from what I remember from MHFU too >_>.

Grinchy

Aug 3, 2010
In a cave outside of Whooville.
Been kind of busy, so I am just now start it up. I feel kind of overwhelmed by the menu systems :/ coming from mostly playing MHFU (600+ hours woohoo). I've never really done MMOs, and this looks like the ones my GF plays. Lots and lots and lots of menus and more cluttered UI.

On the plus side, the new weapons/changes to weapons look fun. I was always Hammer/HBG/LS, and the Insect Glaive has my attention just for the vaulting. That feels awesome, and with mounting monsters I'm guessing it will be pretty useful.

For some reason the control feel really different from what I remember from MHFU too >_>.
I had only ever played Freedom Unite before World. Well, I played some MH Generations on 3DS, but not a whole lot.

World will feel very natural to you in no time. In fact, after you play a bunch of it, it'll be almost impossible to go back to the old formula. The Switch demo for Generations feels ancient because of World.

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
I had only ever played Freedom Unite before World. Well, I played some MH Generations on 3DS, but not a whole lot.

World will feel very natural to you in no time. In fact, after you play a bunch of it, it'll be almost impossible to go back to the old formula. The Switch demo for Generations feels ancient because of World.
Yeah, I just got through the first expedition quest and it feels a lot better, at least in terms of understanding the UI. Only complaint I have now for the UI is that seeing the Scout Flies in daylight is really hard for me.

The capturing mechanic took me by surprise. I ran around capturing stuff for quite a while. Got chased by the T-Rex wyvern a few times, but it seems like it gave up pretty quick, but it was worth it. I've got a little archeopteryx pet now.

One thing I love is that the whetstone has infinite uses - I was kind of worried about that in an open world scenario (having to constantly find mining points with whetstones). That's a huge benefit, and something I wish the series had previously. Made chasing down the oviraptor thing so much easier, as I had to sharpen my hammer four times during the fights.

I like how the formula looks too - explore an area, secure a camp, and scout track/signs to help with keeping track of the monsters around the area. I kept trying to fight the Great Jagras, but I kept getting interrupted by the T-Rex, so having better knowledge will help with picking my fights.

Pejo

Jul 1, 2009
So, PC version is out.
Anyone tried it? Is it a good port? How are the M+K controls?
I bought it after playing a good number of hours on ps4 pro. It's an "ok" port. There's some issues with the way it handles the CPU that makes it way more of a resource hog than it needs to be, but its not terrible. There were a lot of bad disconnection issues for the first week or two, but they've been mostly addressed. Haven't tried KB+M.

Mar 3, 2014
sonofa... I wasn't home so missed the Harvest Fest earlier this month. figured I'll finally get some hunt on now that I'm home, but now the Harvest Fest is over and I just realized I also missed the USJ event stuff too. sigh... hopefully they will bring it back around Christmas...

Mar 3, 2014
new event on PS4 for the Aloy layer armor is pretty tough with the 2 Tempered Deviljo, until you realize they would fight each other, a lot. tried to do it with other people but everyone keeps dying. ended up just finishing it solo. put on the highest defense armor with dragon resist, and went in to put some hits in from time to time with temporal mantle on. took about 30 minutes or so this way for each hunt and I still carted a few times, but at least more of a safe bet.

Last edited:

Omeggos

Jan 12, 2018
I started playing this again, created a new file to accommodate my new cat Domino.

And holy balls do I enjoy using the charged blade now.

Grinchy

Aug 3, 2010
I came back to this because of the events all coming back. I figured I'd get some gold crowns out of the way.

The events definitely help with that, but holy shit is it a massively boring grind. I don't know if I'll finish it because loading in and out of the same event and running up to a monster for an hour straight without getting a single small one really makes you question how you're living your life. What were they thinking with these dumb crowns?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I came back to this because of the events all coming back. I figured I'd get some gold crowns out of the way.

The events definitely help with that, but holy shit is it a massively boring grind. I don't know if I'll finish it because loading in and out of the same event and running up to a monster for an hour straight without getting a single small one really makes you question how you're living your life. What were they thinking with these dumb crowns?
In the good ol' days most of the crowns could be obtained by playing specific quests. There was one with three person-sized Kut Ku that was a lot of frustration fun and it gave you a Smallest crown guaranteed.

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
https://gematsu.com/2018/12/monster-hunter-world-special-developer-update-video-presentation-set-for-december-10
Capcom will host a 15-minute, pre-recorded “Special Developer Update” video presentation for Monster Hunter: World on December 10 at 6:00 a.m. PT / 9:00 a.m. ET / 2:00 p.m. GMT / 23:00 JST, the company announced. The presentation will be streamed on YouTube and Twitch.
Finally info on the G/Ultimate expansion I'm guessing, for it to be 15 minutes long it can't be just one new monster etc. It's been tweeteased by Sony as well so no it's not a port announcement :p

Let's hope that restores the solo difficulty and progression to be in line with previous entries while having better designed less annoying to navigate maps and everything else improved and expanded upon.

Last edited:

Omeggos

Jan 12, 2018
I just got done trying to play the demo for MHGU on the switch. I just can’t do it. I can’t go back to that style of gameplay, this game has spoiled me with a full open maps that don’t require loading screens between areas. And the controls felt clunky.

And holy shit the graphics suck. I know it’s basically a port of a 3ds game but the low textures look like a ps2 game or early ps3/360 era.

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
I just got done trying to play the demo for MHGU on the switch. I just can’t do it. I can’t go back to that style of gameplay, this game has spoiled me with a full open maps that don’t require loading screens between areas. And the controls felt clunky.

And holy shit the graphics suck. I know it’s basically a port of a 3ds game but the low textures look like a ps2 game or early ps3/360 era.
Sucks, I semi-regularly play my Wii's MHTri without issue, I recently also played a bit of MH4U on a friend's 3DS and that was pretty sweet. It's a bit hard going to my PSP's MHFU (via PPSSPP) but I adjust ok!

My favorite of all yet must be Tri, I wish World had been a Tri-2. I don't mind the loading, it's like one second, I do mind long useless areas/corridors/paths in some of World's maps a lot though but that's me.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Aug 3, 2010

Yeah, I made it through 2 hunts on that demo and it looked, played, and sounded so horrible after playing a bunch of World. I have my complaints about World, but I can't go backwards.

Omeggos

Jan 12, 2018
Yeah, I made it through 2 hunts on that demo and it looked, played, and sounded so horrible after playing a bunch of World. I have my complaints about World, but I can't go backwards.
My thought process as well. And as someone who wants a new phantasy star game, I can’t imagine doing the same grind of 1-1 to 1-4 and a boss fight just like with psu, it’s just too tedious for me now.

Caayn

Mar 10, 2013
The Netherlands
Okay, I gave the Witcher 3 content a shot. Did the main quests and wondered around a bit but didn't manage to complete a side-quest. In the fight with the Leshen I got till the final stage (Area 1) where I got defeated. So I thought that I'd give it another go and that I could continue from the start of the Leshen fight. Well, that was a giant no apparently. You need to walk and talk to everyone again in order to get to fight the Leshen again. Yeah, I'm not interested in doing that at the moment. So I'll be leaving the content for what it is for now.