• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World |OT| Where The Wild Things Are

Is there rewards for doing the events? I'm looking at it, and I'd rather do tempered runs if there's nothing.

Pretty sure just gives you a rarer voucher like a weapon one and one of those special items rare crafting items (like the limited bounties give you).

Last edited:
DVtVWu3VwAA7qBT.jpg:large

Thought I'd share my hunter so far!

Been running gunlance for a bit and it's been a blast!
Next up I'll be working on a LBG build and then probably a set for Longsword and Dual Blades.

ehead

Uhh, I started playing on Thursday, and I'm loving it. Streamlined mechanics is a welcome update. The first two maps I've played are a bit confusing at first especially with all the branching paths. The weight of movement is still there, intense moments during big monster battles are there. This game is just a great improvement for the franchise.

I finished the first "arc" already with basic armor combinations. Is it the same as previous MH games, wherein there's high-rank and G-rank armor? I'm only upgrading my GS, since I'm pretty confident with my evasion, and I feel like going directly with high rank armor (if this is still the case).

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Uhh, I started playing on Thursday, and I'm loving it. Streamlined mechanics is a welcome update. The first two maps I've played are a bit confusing at first especially with all the branching paths. The weight of movement is still there, intense moments during big monster battles are there. This game is just a great improvement for the franchise.

I finished the first "arc" already with basic armor combinations. Is it the same as previous MH games, wherein there's high-rank and G-rank armor? I'm only upgrading my GS, since I'm pretty confident with my evasion, and I feel like going directly with high rank armor (if this is still the case).

It truly is a huge improvement. Just the quality of life upgrades are too good IMO, to go back to the previous systems. This is apex stuff.

WaterAstro

I try to fight Tempered Nergigante. He does like 5 of those flying one shots in a row. Died because I have no stamina after dodging so many times.

good lord this game has its claws in me deep... I started playing on Jan 29th and I had about 3 days between then and now that I was out of town and can't play. yet despite that I'm still more then 100 hours in the game and still going strong. hell, I even skipped sleep last night and just play til this morning to take a shower and head to work (to be fair, I won't be able to play for the next 3 days so I'm just filling it in). it's been a pretty long time since a game got me playing like this and I definitely give Capcom their well deserved praise.

while I'm on it, a few questions if anybody knows the answer.

1. do we have infinite storage space for stuff? I keep seeing the storage for weapons and armor get bigger and bigger so I just assume it is.

2. anyone got the last Poogie costume? I got the Poogie to lhe top overlook area and put him down there, but after doing it 3 times it still won't get that last costume for some reason. maybe I'll try again when I'm higher HR.

3. what's consider Elder Dragon? asking for the purpose of this week's limit bounty since I thought Kirin is an Elder Dragon but turns out Kirin doesn't count. is Nergigante the first Elder we can fight and farm?

I went and seek out a bunch of SOS sessions last night and it's definitely a great way to drop in and have some fun. only had just a couple that ended with us failing because somebody got a little too damage happy and got carted. I put a few SOS up also but find that people tended to join the fast, big ticket monster fights in optional and investigation more and doesn't seem to care about event stuff (or at the very least, not care about low rank event stuff). most of the fights when everyone knows what to do would only last for 20 minutes at the most , and almost everytime there will be someone out of the group of 4 who would bring shock trap + tran bomb. it definitely help cut the fight time down I guess. now I would bring it too. those things and dung pot too. it's so useful when you're in a hunt and some other monster start fighting it out with your target.

I try to fight Tempered Nergigante. He does like 5 of those flying one shots in a row. Died because I have no stamina after dodging so many times.

isn't there something like Dash Juice or whatever that makes your stamina to drain slower?

Last edited:
I am a really big Monster Hunter fan and quite honestly, I couldn't wait for this game. But having played the BETA and hating the controls, I don't think I really want to buy it. :/

WaterAstro

I am a really big Monster Hunter fan and quite honestly, I couldn't wait for this game. But having played the BETA and hating the controls, I don't think I really want to buy it. :/
What's wrong with the controls? I mean, having to have played single analog for most of the previous MH, this is probably one of the best.

Codes 208

Did they finally nerf the timer for a mission complete? It doesnt seem as long now doing nothing while waiting for it to countdown.
More than 6 million copies shipped and Capcoms fastest selling game... hope it hits 10M plus eventually.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...-selling-capcom-game-in-history/#2d23b5b17048

Only at final boss now but I did a lot of grinding for loot...
Fixed for accuracy. Shipped and sold arent the same thing, but its still impressive.

Grinchy

Banned
The one complaint I think I have is the scripted events. Things like the monster returning to its far away and tedious to travel to nest in the final phase, turf wars that continue to the next zone and waste your dung shots, etc. the first few times, it’s cool, but the 10th time you follow Legiana up to the top of the map you’re pretty done with it.

OH-MyCar

Never played any of the previous Monster Hunter games. I must say this game is amazing.

I've tried the original on PS2, the one on Wii, the one on Wii U, PSP and 3DS and had never played any of them for more than two hours (as a huge fan of Phantasy Star Online I've always desperately wanted to like MH but didn't). There was always some barrier of entry; from convoluted menus to camera controls on a touch screen. I just couldn't get into it.

I've only had this one for a couple of days, but it's ruining me so far. It still feels like all of the other games I "tried", but everything is finally clicking this time around.

The one complaint I think I have is the scripted events. Things like the monster returning to its far away and tedious to travel to nest in the final phase, turf wars that continue to the next zone and waste your dung shots, etc. the first few times, it’s cool, but the 10th time you follow Legiana up to the top of the map you’re pretty done with it.

are you using the wedge beetles? you know, the ones that kinda lights up when they open? if you press aim in regular walking mode and aim at the beetles, they'll let you know that you can press a key to grappling hook it and swing up like Batman. super useful and provides some great mobility solution. you can even use them while fighting monsters to jump up on them or do some sick moves with them.

Grinchy

Banned
are you using the wedge beetles? you know, the ones that kinda lights up when they open? if you press aim in regular walking mode and aim at the beetles, they'll let you know that you can press a key to grappling hook it and swing up like Batman. super useful and provides some great mobility solution. you can even use them while fighting monsters to jump up on them or do some sick moves with them.
Oh yeah, I know about them. I still find the predicable, scripted events annoying after the first 10 times. Like when you are grinding the tempered Rathalos fights and he flies back to the same nest at the end every time. And throughout the whole thing, he gets into a turf war multiple times. And you're just killing him for the 4th time in a row and you've watched all of this take place every single time. It gets old.

Oh yeah, I know about them. I still find the predicable, scripted events annoying after the first 10 times. Like when you are grinding the tempered Rathalos fights and he flies back to the same nest at the end every time. And throughout the whole thing, he gets into a turf war multiple times. And you're just killing him for the 4th time in a row and you've watched all of this take place every single time. It gets old.

haha, that's why you bring dung pots and flash pots. dung the adds and flash your target when he's trying to fly away. and of course, bring plenty of dung and flash bug so you can make extras on the spot.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

I became a dootbro. Hunting Horn is pretty nice.

I need something faster though, so looking into longswords since they are fast and pretty easy to handle.

Grinchy

Banned
haha, that's why you bring dung pots and flash pots. dung the adds and flash your target when he's trying to fly away. and of course, bring plenty of dung and flash bug so you can make extras on the spot.
:D lol yes, 100 hours in, I know the basics! But you only get 3 flash pods. If you choose to bring a Rathalos down while he's in his long hovering phase, you don't have enough to stop him every time he tries to fly away. How far are you in the game? Do you really never ever have to chase down a high rank Rathalos or Rathian? You only ever use flash pods for the end phase when he's about to run back to his nest?

I became a dootbro. Hunting Horn is pretty nice.

I need something faster though, so looking into longswords since they are fast and pretty easy to handle.

may I interest you in the fine taste of Dual Blade sir? high speed and mobility, fastest weapon to apply status debuff, plus you can do cartwheel on monster's back as you cut them down.

enjoy your finely cut dino steak.

:D lol yes, 100 hours in, I know the basics! But you only get 3 flash pods. If you choose to bring a Rathalos down while he's in his long hovering phase, you don't have enough to stop him every time he tries to fly away. How far are you in the game? Do you really never ever have to chase down a high rank Rathalos or Rathian? You only ever use flash pods for the end phase when he's about to run back to his nest?

for flying type monster I just use bow. and shoot them at the wings as they fly away. if you start by damaging their wings, you have a better chance of stopping their escape while they try to run. but even if you are on melee weapons and only have 3 flash pots, you can make new ones on the fly with the craft list. and of course put it on auto crafting list and pick up flash bugs when you pass by them. that and have your Palico equip the flash trap thing would help also. I know it's an annoyance, but that's MonHun for you man.

Last edited:

ehead

So far, most of the attack sets of the monsters I've encountered are similar to the previous games which is great. Jagras is a Royal Ludroth, Anjanath is a Deviljho lite, Pukei Pukei is like Giginox/Qurupeco, Kulu Ya-Ku is like Great Jaggi/Qurupeco, and Rathian is still Rathian. Man, Rathian and Rathalos are so tempting to hunt early on.

I have also persuaded my brother to return to the fray too. Exciting times!

WaterAstro

Man, I want the longsword from the arena, but azure ratholos just flies around nonstop while shooting fireballs. I run out of flash pods constantly bringing him down, but he just gets up and flies again. I don't even know about the other mats.

Edit: I think I am going with the vaal hazak longsword. It'll work out better for my gear. It's actually not that bad raw damage, and I can get the sharpness to be better than the nerg sword.

may I interest you in the fine taste of Dual Blade sir? high speed and mobility, fastest weapon to apply status debuff, plus you can do cartwheel on monster's back as you cut them down.

enjoy your finely cut dino steak.

I already have three crazy dual blade builds. I'm just playing around looking for something that does lots of damage in one hit.

Last edited:

Nodnol

Another newcomer to the series who has been blown away so far.

The maps are beautiful and feel like an ecosystem. Great place to wander round and get lost.

What’s really struck me is how the progression just keeps going, and going. Early doors I was chasing monster after monster that I was encountering for the first time. I’m still coming across new monsters now, though I have yet to see the credits roll, and am currently picking up side quests and investigations to get myself a little more geared for Nergigante (damage output isn’t a problem, but his Superman attack just murders me).

Was very pleasantly surprised how the game opens up and the areas you explore.

Genuinely obsessed. This will keep me busy and intrigued for months. Game deserves as much credit and success as possible. A thoroughly complete game in a world of rushed titles and loot boxes.

I already have three crazy dual blade builds. I'm just playing around looking for something that does lots of damage in one hit.

ah, in that case I would say try the hammer. it's actually more mobile than it looks and gives you some very satisfying hits. maybe try the insect glaives too? being able to jump on a monster and ride him anytime anywhere you like seems cool too.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
So I beat the "story" last night finally, after grinding a ton of weapons and armor. Gotta say, the final boss was way easier than the 3 Elders you have to fight right before him. Lots of HP, but nothing else too difficult to handle. It was actually kinda nice not having to deal with some bullshit mechanic like the other 3, just a straight up fight.

Also, I still think Black Diablos is the hardest enemy in the game.

OH-MyCar

Does anyone know if the SF5 costumes are actually coming to Xbox? I've not been able to find any definitive answer because it seems that everyone plays on PS4 (would've went with PS4 but my wife wanted to play & a "2nd Xbox" was cheaper).

WaterAstro

Most people go nerg longsword, but vaal hazak's long sword is way better with some gearing. Nerg weapon is a noob trap for most weapons if people don't understand sharpness mechanics.

ah, in that case I would say try the hammer. it's actually more mobile than it looks and gives you some very satisfying hits. maybe try the insect glaives too? being able to jump on a monster and ride him anytime anywhere you like seems cool too.
I've got a couple of end game hammers. Haven't gotten into insect glaive because the insect mechanic is weird. I'd rather not worry about it and just dual blade if I want a fast attacking weapon

oh, I asked this earlier but didn't get an answer, so figured I'll ask again. what is consider Elder Dragon for this week's limited bounty? I thought Kirin is but after killing 2 of them in the event hunt it doesn't seem to count it for me. is it because it's an event hunt? because Kirin doesn't count as Elder? or does it have to be HR version?

Does anyone know if the SF5 costumes are actually coming to Xbox? I've not been able to find any definitive answer because it seems that everyone plays on PS4 (would've went with PS4 but my wife wanted to play & a "2nd Xbox" was cheaper).

pretty sure the SF5 skins will be available on both PS4 and XBO so you don't need to worry.

on a side note, I was trying out remote play on my Vita last night, and it's definitely a viable option. but I imagine you don't want to do anything too intense and some weapon might be awkward to use while on a Vita (the aim and shoot button are both on the top corners of the touch screen). can use it to do some collection bounties and small animal culling I suppose.

Last edited:
oh, I asked this earlier but didn't get an answer, so figured I'll ask again. what is consider Elder Dragon for this week's limited bounty?

while Kirin is indeed an elder dragon the game sometimes don't agree with itself when it comes to bounties.
A lot of time I get a hunt flying monsters quest and monsters like Pukei pukei and Paolumu will not count despite clearly able to fly.

So just to be safe hunt the four baddies; nerg, teostra, vaal hazak and kushala. I would say Zora and final boss would count but who knows.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Man, that HR49 Kirin sure is a bastard haha
Yeah, he's like an MMO raid boss that you have to solo. Dodging everything is pretty hard. I can get one shot even with tons of lightning resist. I solo'd Kirin though.

I solo'd Tempered Toaster, so I'm able to solo every tempered elder dragon. Might take a bit longer, but I don't lose my runs on idiots.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah, he's like an MMO raid boss that you have to solo. Dodging everything is pretty hard. I can get one shot even with tons of lightning resist. I solo'd Kirin though.

I solo'd Tempered Toaster, so I'm able to solo every tempered elder dragon. Might take a bit longer, but I don't lose my runs on idiots.
I was just about to gear myself up like crazy for lightning resistance because of those one-shots. I guess I won't waste my time doing that then lol

WaterAstro

I was just about to gear myself up like crazy for lightning resistance because of those one-shots. I guess I won't waste my time doing that then lol

Well, I had max lightning resist, and most things will bring me down to low life. The big lightning bolt will one shot. I guess if you don't have lightning resist, everything will one shot you lol.

You shouldn't worry about your armor. Just throw in 3 lightning resist gems and bring the vitality and thunder mantle.

Shouta

You can't trap a Nergigante???

Traps don't work on the Elder Dragons, unfortunately. You also can't capture them which is why it says Slay instead of Hunt in their missions. You can deal status effects with ranged weapons though.

splattered

Finally bought powercharm and armorcharm tonight and combined them w Beetlejuice talons to make talon versions, then bought 2nd vanilla powercharm to stack. W other non amazing gear my thunder bow ATK went from 184 to 202. Don't have enough zenny for 2nd armorcharm yet to see what that gets boosted to. Wearing Zorah armor set might switch to something else soon.

WaterAstro

Finally bought powercharm and armorcharm tonight and combined them w Beetlejuice talons to make talon versions, then bought 2nd vanilla powercharm to stack. W other non amazing gear my thunder bow ATK went from 184 to 202. Don't have enough zenny for 2nd armorcharm yet to see what that gets boosted to. Wearing Zorah armor set might switch to something else soon.
Wow, lol I didn't even know about them. Thanks.

Don't spend too much on armor until you unlock mostly everything or you have an exact idea of what you want. I wore crappy stuff until most of the rank 6-7 stuff unlocked. Also, when you unlock the Argosy, go for trade-in item, as it's a way to transfer your hunting points to zenny. I make like 30k each time Argosy pops up.

while Kirin is indeed an elder dragon the game sometimes don't agree with itself when it comes to bounties.
A lot of time I get a hunt flying monsters quest and monsters like Pukei pukei and Paolumu will not count despite clearly able to fly.

So just to be safe hunt the four baddies; nerg, teostra, vaal hazak and kushala. I would say Zora and final boss would count but who knows.

thanks, definitely going to have to work on those other Elders later on. but I think i know what the reason is for Kirin not counting for the limited bounty. I check the bounty again and it says I need to kill a few High Rank Elder Dragons, so I guess I either have to discover the high rank Kirins or I'll have to keep pushing the story to fight the other ones. oh well. I'll work on that tomorrow.

splattered

Wow, lol I didn't even know about them. Thanks.

Don't spend too much on armor until you unlock mostly everything or you have an exact idea of what you want. I wore crappy stuff until most of the rank 6-7 stuff unlocked. Also, when you unlock the Argosy, go for trade-in item, as it's a way to transfer your hunting points to zenny. I make like 30k each time Argosy pops up.

I not quite sure how the Argosy works yet... I've been switching back and forth between trade in and crafting materials each time... How do I get zenny out of the trade in items?

*wow thanks for the tip! I was sitting on almost 200k zenny and didn't even know it! Haha just bought vanilla armorcharm to stack with talon charm and my defense went from 239 to 251. Dang!

Last edited:
I not quite sure how the Argosy works yet... I've been switching back and forth between trade in and crafting materials each time... How do I get zenny out of the trade in items?

*wow thanks for the tip! I was sitting on almost 200k zenny and didn't even know it! Haha just bought vanilla armorcharm to stack with talon charm and my defense went from 239 to 251. Dang!

found out the sell items function huh? lol if you're like me and a little obsessive compulsive about the gathering points (mining or bone picking), chances are you should have hundreds of monster bone s or iron ore sitting in your bag. sell like half of them and you should be fine with the zenny for a while.

Pejo

Gold Member
I've personally found maxing the divine blessing skill (50% chance to reduce damage) helps me out a lot more than lightning resist, not that it wouldn't still be helpful. Still, you're leaving a lot up to RNG, but it's saved my ass quite a few times in the Kirin fight.

Kagero

Um, so yeah. I'm going to have to eat crow on this one. Monster Hunter is a pretty good game. I finally get it now. My apologies for mocking the MH community in the past.

Pejo

Gold Member
I wish we had more monster archetypes, though I guess that's what the future DLC/expansions are going to be for. I'd love to see some of the other types come back like Seltas/Seltas Queen, Congala, Lagombi, etc. You can see where there are already moveset templates in the game taken from old monsters mashed together, like Pukei Pukei being part Chameleos and part Rathian, Tobi being part Kecha Wacha and part Zinogre. I hope they expand those out to include both sets of originals. Plus I can't wait to eventually see all the first time players deal with endgame Tigrex/Steve. Tigrex itself would be a great tutorial monster for "don't always fast rise", lol.

In general, the snow/ice related monsters are usually my favorite to fight, and we don't even have a snow zone yet. It has to be coming eventually. We have so many fire weapons and so few enemies weak to fire, plus Hot drinks aren't in the game yet but Cold drinks are.

Top Bottom