• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter X (3DS) announced

Eolz

Looks fucking awesome, can't wait fr=or the ocalization!

Holy moly Capcom made another exclusive secret deal with Nintendo!

/s

Lol!

Sweet. Guess I can skip MH4U then?

No.

But is it really a spinoff? Since they've skipped the usual second iteration (Portable series) of 4, this might just be its equivalent (but even more fleshed out).

That's why I said equivalent. The Portable series took the main game, but with different villages and story than in the original (and G), but added tons of new shit. This seems pretty similar, especially when you rewatch the trailer and notice that it actually has most areas from 4 again (not to mention that the core gameplay still looks like the usual MH). However, this time they've clearly put even more new things into it, since G is already out. I just don't think this really looks like a spinoff. The cat game was an actual spinoff, or the RPG.

Well to me Portable was a spinoff. If the Vita actually sold a lot, it'd probably have gotten this.
Sounds like both a stop gap before 5 comes out on the next gen, and an experiment in terms of mechanics. Sounds great.

krossj

New moves seem fun but it looks like another version of MH4 with some reused assets. I don't think the series will remain as popular if they continue at this pace.

Pachimari

Having only played a little bit of Freedom Unite (iOS), and Monster Hunter 4U - what is it exactly they are taking from the Frontier series into MHX?

cheesekao

I hope the gameplay is massively different from the mainline games because if it's just "MH4 with flashy moves" then I don't see the point. The reused assets really bother me as well. You'd think that with the money they earn they'd put more effort into the series.

JimPanzer

I'm really curious how they'll add all the new moves to the control scheme. It's packed to the max already.

edit: maybe they'll use the n3ds' extra buttons? is it n3ds exclusive?

cheesekao

I'm really curious how they'll add all the new moves to the control scheme. It's packed to the max already.

edit: maybe they'll use the n3ds' extra buttons? is it n3ds exclusive?
They'll most likely remove several existing moves and just replace them with new and flashier ones.

Coxswain

Are people just saying "spinoff" here because there's no actual number in the title? Because everything about this sorta screams "next mainline game" (inasmuch as Portable 3rd was a mainline game, not that MHX is necessarily a 5th-gen game).

raven777

SmallCalculatingBird.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hmm, I wonder if the real difference is actually that this is, for some bizarre reason, a single player title.

also

Banned

This was the best super move shown. It looks cool but not too flashy and doesn't seem too OP. The worst looking has to be GL's ball of fire that just fizzles out

I worry that some of the new moves might be too strong. The lance user smashes both of Tetsucabra's tusks with the new charge and LBgunner just jumps over the monster. I hope they will balance the monster behavior accordingly.
Also not sure if I like MH being this flashy...

Sweet. Guess I can skip MH4U then?
I wouldn't. MH4U is a fantastic game and this looks different enough to make it worthwhile to play both.

I'm so ready for this to come to big screen now, it's like DMC MH!!

Will support on 3DS but begrudgingly so. come on capcom, HD this series!

raven777

This was the best super move shown. It looks cool but not too flashy and doesn't seem too OP. The worst looking has to be GL's ball of fire that just fizzles out

I worry that some of the new moves might be too strong. The lance user smashes both of Tetsucabra's tusks with the new charge and LBgunner just jumps over the monster. I hope they will balance the monster behavior accordingly.
Also not sure if I like MH being this flashy...

I wouldn't. MH4U is a fantastic game and this looks different enough to make it worthwhile to play both.

Probably why this is not called Monster Hunter 5. I think mainline MH games will still keep the traditional combat system.

I personally think it's a good new approach for a spinoff

Hmm, I wonder if the real difference is actually that this is, for some bizarre reason, a single player title.

I think it could actually be the case.

In the trailer a lot of the gathering halls from the old towns, thel entrances are blocked by either an npc or a restrain. Maybe they're moved it all to the one in the new main town like in 4U

But thinking of the compromises they would have to make to get these new mechanics to work. It being single player owner might be one.

crinale

The official site never mentions multiplayer (other MH games do), but it may be not decided yet.
If it really lacks multiplayer then I really can't expect the sales potential of this game.

Nisa65

Just saw the announcement via Facebook.

Looks awesome. Those unsurprisingly begging for an HD version need to get over it tbh.

Kyoufu

The official site never mentions multiplayer (other MH games do), but it may be not decided yet.
If it really lacks multiplayer then I really can't expect the sales potential of this game.

Well, Capcom expects it to sell 2.5 million by March 2016, so it must have multiplayer. Otherwise...

cheesekao

I don't think you can spam the super moves. Probably a one shot with cool down.
You might be right. Didn't think of it that way. Still if they limit the moves like that then I'm gonna be pretty disappointed because that way, it can't further differentiate itself from the main series.

Top Bottom