• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX coming to Switch

Klart

The PS4 port begging is honestly fucking annoying. People pay all that money for a console they should know what to expect on that console

They learned from the fucking annoying master.

Cool. No excuse to not have a Switch version launch same day now

Wonder if this comes to Switch

By Play Anywhere I assume they mean Nintendo Switch

Why not Nintendo? You'd think they would want to advertise the portability

Fiendcode

So what does everyone think this will be called when it's localized?

Generations G/ X?
Cross Generations?
Generations Ultimate?
Generations Switch?

I'm betting this will be shown at E3 for release this holiday.
Monster Hunter Generations Unite. Western release will be 3DS/Switch multi, probably Q1 2018.

jahasaja

This thread is moving quick... Anybody have answers to these questions?

2 questions:

1. Is the story mode different from generation?
2. Is it the same monster that you have to fight to change level in multiplayer? (that bone dragon with the laser that kills you in one shoot made me quit multiplayer)

membran

*Shows MHXX's Switch trailer*

"...And we have a special announcement tonight as well!"

*Everything goes dark for like 10 seconds*

*Awesome CG trailer full of promises*

MONSTER HUNTER 5

FOR

NINTENDO 3DS

WINTER 2018

This would be so cruel. :(

So what does everyone think this will be called when it's localized?

Generations G/ X?
Cross Generations?
Generations Ultimate?
Generations Switch?

I'm betting this will be shown at E3 for release this holiday.

after Setsuna, Mario Kart, Dragon Quest Heroes, Disgaea 5, Dragonball Xenoverse 2, PuyoTetris, Ultra SF2, they should call it "Generation Ports"

Mupod

Don't think we've seen any Switch/3DS connectivity yet, but they're both in Nintendo's ecosystem so there's no reason to believe it won't be possible. I think a transfer tool and 3DS/Switch multiplayer are pretty much a given.

just waiting on the Capcom twist where we need the 3DS version of XX to transfer our saves from the old 3DS version, lol.

Also last time the transfer tool took a couple days to go up, but at least I could play it on 3DS in the meantime. I'm very impatient when it comes to MH, I bought Generations digitally when my Amazon copy was late. I still have that extra copy...

This thread is moving quick... Anybody have answers to these questions?

2 questions:

1. Is the story mode different from generation?
2. Is it the same monster that you have to fight to change level in multiplayer? (that bone dragon with the laser that kills you in one shoot made me quit multiplayer)

I haven't played XX myself, but in the past these expansions include the original game in its entirety with the extra stuff bolted on. So yeah, you'd have to fight Nakarkos to access the higher tier of content. But when XX is out you could just hang out in Discord with us and we'll show you what happens to that thing when you bring 2 pierce bowguns to it.

jariw

Regarding localization, does SF2 contain both the Japanese and English version in the Japanese build? Should we expect the same for Monster Hunter XX?

Mupod

Regarding localization, does SF2 contain both the Japanese and English version in the Japanese build? Should we expect the same for Monster Hunter XX?

MH is quite a bit more localization to worry about than SF2!

But man I'd lose my shit.

Have to say, this is very exciting news. Should be the perfect MP game for me and my two friends to get into. Hopefully it comes out this year.

jahasaja

I haven't played XX myself, but in the past these expansions include the original game in its entirety with the extra stuff bolted on. So yeah, you'd have to fight Nakarkos to access the higher tier of content. But when XX is out you could just hang out in Discord with us and we'll show you what happens to that thing when you bring 2 pierce bowguns to it.

Thanks for the answers and future help :).

He killed me twice with the laser and after that the strangers I was playing with for some reason started to ignore me :p.

Still, I might skip it if the single player is the same. I play these game mostly for the single player the monster are just so much fun when they only focus on you and you have to learn their every move.

They learned from the fucking annoying master.

wee-bey-oh-shit.gif

Kinsei

Banned

He killed me twice with the laser and after that the strangers I was playing with for some reason started to ignore me :p.

Still, I might skip it if the single player is the same. I play these game mostly for the single player the monster are just so much fun when they only focus on you and you have to learn their every move.

There's a new single player campaign as well.

xviper

i already put tons and tons of hours into Generation to the point that i got a headache for 3 days, what is the difference between G and XX ?

should i get XX if i already played G ?

Mupod

That's how I played MH for the longest time - I still like solo play as much as I do multiplayer. I often don't even bring AI partners just because I enjoy the 'punch-out' kind of feeling when you're alone.

But multiplayer is really fun especially with GAF. Although yeah, this is a lot of repeated content if you've already played Generations. In my case I'm not super stoked for the content but rather just being able to play MH on a big screen with a proper controller again.

That's how I played MH for the longest time - I still like solo play as much as I do multiplayer. I often don't even bring AI partners just because I enjoy the 'punch-out' kind of feeling when you're alone.

But multiplayer is really fun especially with GAF. Although yeah, this is a lot of repeated content if you've already played Generations. In my case I'm not super stoked for the content but rather just being able to play MH on a big screen with a proper controller again.

YES i know

Pro Controller is so amazing

Cant wait

Kinsei

Banned
i already put tons and tons of hours into Generation to the point that i got a headache for 3 days, what is the difference between G and XX ?

should i get XX if i already played G ?

A new single player campaign that takes place after the Generations campaign.

A new rank of multiplayer quests (G rank)

A couple new monsters

Quite a few returning monsters from older games that weren't in Generations

A handful of new deviants

A new tier of multiplayer quests (G Rank)

Rodin

the series become stagnant because capcom didn't want to spend money on the game. they are still using ps2 / PSP era computer models on a very shitty 3ds screen. ( i can't even read the Japanese text on that thing )

if capcom doesn't invest. the 480p models and texture s look absolutely disgusting on a 1080p TV
I get what you're saying and you're not wrong, but "absolutely disgusting" may be exaggerating it a bit. This was 3U on Wii U:

and yeah no one will start screaming for how good it looks, but it doesn't look "disgusting". It's a bit like playing a PS2 game on an emulator. Now i may be wrong because i never played it (only briefly tried the MHG demo), but i don't think XX on 3DS looks worse than 3U on 3DS. So the game on the Switch should look at least on par or better than that, plus you can play it on a small 720p screen (which you couldn't do with the Wii U version of 3, the gamepad was 480p).

But yeah i hope they manage to boost texture/shadows resolution and lock the frame rate to 60fps, i remember reading that it wasn't stable on Wii U for some reason.

nfw2fi0.gif

Great news anyway. Really curious about the improvements for the Switch version

Same

I hope they are significantly more than what they did for MH3U

Then again MH3U was fantastic in the feature department

Full voice chat, cross region play. Tablet play

Lets hope they do the switch version justice

Mupod

the thing I hated about 3U is that they used the 3DS assets instead of the Wii ones. So in ways it looked worse than Tri, especially the water. It won't affect whether or not I buy the game, but I'd hope for a bit more work put into this port.

I greatly prefer the older implementations of multiplayer to the more recent 3DS games as well. At least let me use a USB keyboard...

Kinsei

Banned
I guess we won't be able to transfer our MH Generation save file to XX, like the 3DS version would allow for.

I wouldn't be so sure. Capcom did create an app that allowed you to transfer your save from the 3DS version of 3U to the Wii U version of 3U.

Mupod

Now do Monster Hunter Stories!

I need those Amiibos

it's interesting because early on they released a lot of high quality screenshots of MH Stories that were very clearly not running on a 3DS. People assumed they were from the NX version. It could still be coming, but from what I've heard it did not sell great.

I still want it, but by the time it's out it's looking like I'll have a Switch. So I'd prefer any handheld gaming to be done on that.

Port begging, bitter tears on one and fanboy glee on the other side...yep a MH thread. I am in for a MH3U like upgrade, did not spring for the X series yet, should feel fresh.

w0s

I get so confused with the naming convention and seemingly several versions of the same games. What is different (other then textures and resolution) on this vs generations that I played a crap ton of?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I get so confused with the naming convention and seemingly several versions of the same games. What is different (other then textures and resolution) on this vs generations that I played a crap ton of?
This is basically the Expansion.

Monster Hunter Generations + more content.

Mupod

This is to Generations what 4U was to 4, 3U was to 3, etc...G-rank is the main draw. . If Generations is the only MH you played, think of it like low rank - high rank - g-rank. It's another tier of quests, monsters and equipment.

It also has a few new and returning monsters, for the highest large monster count to date by a good margin. And some new hunting styles. Of course it's also going to be running on a much more powerful system.

Parshias7

Monster Hunter titles usually have a separate expanded release afterwards. These are usually labeled with a "G" in the title in Japan, but recently in the West these have been referred to as "Ultimate". ("Unite" was used on the PSP)

So for example, we got Monster Hunter 3 on the Wii. Capcom then made the expanded version, Monster Hunter 3G, for 3DS and Wii U. We got that title over here as Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Something similar happened with Monster Hunter 4, but the West never got the first game and instead just got Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

The differences between the original game and the G version usually amount to a new rank, (base game has Normal and High Rank, G version has G Rank that's harder than High Rank) G Rank versions of weapons and armor sets, a handful of new monsters, and maybe some new story bits. Think of the G/Ultimate version as an expansion pack to the original game, except as a whole separate package. There is also usually a method for people who have the base game to transfer their save directly into the G version.

Wamb0wneD

I hope they put some effort in the textures and not that mishmash they did with the last console one. Can't wait for some screenshots.

Top Bottom