• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Edition (JP) |OT| The World is not enough

PKrockin

Thanks for helping me blitz through part of high rank y'all.

DJRIth9UIAA_5mT.jpg:large

Juraash

Yeah, ggs, everyone! I'm up for more tomorrow. Hey, Jur, I don't think I'm gonna be able to make it back. I'm starting to get really sleepy, sorry :(.

I'm getting sleepy too, so it works out for the best.

Definitely down to play more tomorrow though.

Lizardus

I don't remember the name of the method from Gen. But does that really lucrative talisman run exist in XX?

Sakura method? No.

There's a better one, a DLC quest that has you mining coals but the subquest is killing a Brachydios (with a lower health). Ending with subquest is the Charm Farming Method™ in MHXX.

nick_b

How much Japanese knowledge does this game require? I know Hiragana and Katakana but I'll need a refresher. Is there much Kanji?

I have a subscription to Textfugu for learning Japanese but I haven't touched it in years. If there isn't much necessary to learn then I might get this if no localization gets announced this month. I need a motivator to start studying the language again anyway.

Only other MH I've played is MH4U which I am currently playing still. MHXX is just so much prettier.

Doombear

How much Japanese knowledge does this game require? I know Hiragana and Katakana but I'll need a refresher. Is there much Kanji?

I have a subscription to Textfugu for learning Japanese but I haven't touched it in years. If there isn't much necessary to learn then I might get this if no localization gets announced this month. I need a motivator to start studying the language again anyway.

Only other MH I've played is MH4U which I am currently playing still. MHXX is just so much prettier.

I have about a 0.04% understanding of the language. I just hit about 250 hours (transferred from my JP 3ds title to Switch.)

Understanding the 'language' of Monster Hunter is far more key here.

I use a few tools alongside the game. Pings MHXX Dex. Athena's. Kiranico. Those, with a few pages I've made on Evernote, have been more than enough for me! It's gorgeous on my TV. It feels amazing with the Pro Controller. I still hate Hyper Joe.

nick_b

I have about a 0.04% understanding of the language. I just hit about 250 hours (transferred from my JP 3ds title to Switch.)

Understanding the 'language' of Monster Hunter is far more key here.

I use a few tools alongside the game. Pings MHXX Dex. Athena's. Kiranico. Those, with a few pages I've made on Evernote, have been more than enough for me! It's gorgeous on my TV. It feels amazing with the Pro Controller. I still hate Hyper Joe.

I have a feeling I am going to get it. I really wanted to hold out for localization news but who knows if that is ever coming. Thanks for the info though. All the positive impressions from non-Japanese speakers is what is going to push me over.

patientx

I am trying to learn dual blades. I use brave style. Watched gaijinhunters mhx tutorial too, but couldn't figure out how to do the evade move. Is it only when in demon mode / arcdemon mode ? Which button / combo are we using to do it ? GH says it gives back some sharpness also how do I know that I successfully made the move ?

Unicorn

Goddamn Monster Hunter baby!

I'm scared to jump in without English. Worlds will be legit, but I don't have a console to play with my friends.

Doombear

I am trying to learn dual blades. I use brave style. Watched gaijinhunters mhx tutorial too, but couldn't figure out how to do the evade move. Is it only when in demon mode / arcdemon mode ? Which button / combo are we using to do it ? GH says it gives back some sharpness also how do I know that I successfully made the move ?

Without knowing which video (and not a DB user myself) I can't say for certain, but all brave style evades are done the same basically. Press the sheathing button, Y, or hold it, and if you get hit during that you will avoid most of the damage and evade. Now if you are talking about a Hunter Art evade skill, one of which is a perfect evade + sharpness regain. That depends on what your Arts config is. It should show the prompts in the lower right though. Sorry if neither of those are what you are asking about!

Nosgoth

Neo Member

That's not an evade move, it's a forward dashing strike with gp. You need to be in brave mode for this move to be available, as it replaces the default r dash. The gp is in the first few frames, it has a distinct aura. If you're hit during the gp, you will hear the distinct weapon sharpening sound, and the dashing strike changes a little afterwards.

Lizardus

When you get into Brave mode with DB, you can initiate a sprint using R. During the start of this sprint, you get a guard point. If this guard point is successful, some of your sharpness will be restored.

nick_b

Caved and bought digitally through Amazon. Question. My news feed on the Switch is now in Japanese. Will this change back?

Juraash

Awesome hunts Dragon and PK, that was a ton of fun. Thanks for enduring all the Steve runs so I could get a respectable set. I'll try and sort my weapon out tonight so when we play next I'm pulling my weight more.

Sorry again about this Dragon. That was not all according to keikaku. lol
Oh, man, I couldn't believe when that happened, haha. I was laughing but crying on the inside because it happened right after Jura moved it away from the first trap when he cut the tail, haha.

I had to run in circles to dry my tears.

Juraash

Oh, man, I couldn't believe when that happened, haha. I was laughing but crying on the inside because it happened right after Jura moved it away from the first trap when he cut the tail, haha.

I had to run in circles to dry my tears.

I don't know why it didn't register we we're going to trap it and once I had committed to the charge all I could do was hold it and hope I didn't screw things up too bad lol.

And we all know how that went.

Oh, dear...

I picked up the switch axe because I'm getting a little bored of just SnS, and I'm getting hit by things I rarely got hit by before.

Doesn't help I'm doing a test run against a hyper Astalos, ha. Switch axe was actually my very first MH weapon ever when I started with Tri, but I didn't get it back then and dropped it after a while.

Using guild first to get my bearings.

Juraash

Oh, dear...

I picked up the switch axe because I'm getting a little bored of just SnS, and I'm getting hit by things I rarely got hit by before.

Doesn't help I'm doing a test run against a hyper Astalos, ha. Switch axe was actually my very first MH weapon ever when I started with Tri, but I didn't get it back then and dropped it after a while.

Using guild first to get my bearings.

It kind of amazes me how much of this game can boil down to muscle memory. Watching PK and others we've played with change it up every few quests blows my mind. I can do one melee weapon and one ranged and that's about all I can reliably store in my brain lol.

I haven't even crafted a second weapon type yet in XX since I still feel a little rusty.

It's probably been discussed a bunch of times -- sorry for that -- but I'm thinking about importing. Why I'm hesitating: I bought MH3U for WiiU and Generations for 3DS and although I'm having fun with Monster Hunter I usually quit these games after about 25 hours or so due to other games and interests. Got about 20 hours on Generations on my N3DS and I would probably still be playing it every now and then but knowing that there's a "better" version that's pretty much out of the question and the reason why I'm thinking about importing.

Do you think it would be worth it (I don't speak or read any Japanese) given that I'm not a hardcore MH addict or would you rather recommend holding out for a translated version releasing some time in the future or simply dabble with the N3DS version for a few more hours?

Which reminds me that I need to make a HH set, a G-Rank gunner set, and craft a crap ton of weapons of each variety. Having 85 Longsword overall uses (most used weapon atm) yet 0 LBG, Bow, and Lance uses is slowing bothering me haha.

But what really gets to me is my 8 HH uses. I should be ashamed of myself.

Yagami_Sama

Yeah, just required on the 3ds. It's in eshop.

Will you be joining us today? :D

I found the app on Eshop, I was messing with that. My Switch version will arrive here, If I am lucky in 10 days or so.

I am HR 6, there are 5 or 6 quests missing to complete all HR 6 quests, plus the felynes ones. Not sure if I will be able to help you guys.

Anyone want to join me for hyper hunting? Trying to upgrade my weapons (Astalos, Mizutsune, Glavenus).

I have a room. Password is 1478. I'll go on a gathering quest in case no one bites right away.

Juraash

Anyone want to join me for hyper hunting? Trying to upgrade my weapons (Astalos, Mizutsune, Glavenus).

I have a room. Password is 1478. I'll go on a gathering quest in case no one bites right away.

My armor and my weapon now (or will next upgrade) need some hyper Steve. Those are HR7 quests right?

Top Bottom