• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More accurate N64 graphics emulation plug-in released

Iacobellis

It was fine, didn't see any issues.

I might have to try this out. The game always had an issue in P64 where it wouldn't stay locked at the regular framerate, which I assume is 30FPS. This caused the intro video to become abnormal and out of sync with the music, because it was being rendered in realtime as opposed to just a video on loop.

nkarafo

This fixes a lot of problems in games...
But it introduces new ones. Just don't play the Surface level in Goldeneye.

Thankfully, N64 emulators save different plugins per game so you can still use the older plugin in case of a regression.

Anyway, we are still very far from accurate N64 graphics emulation. And the "pixel accurate" plugins that exist are way too slow. And i still can't play Body Harvest without clipping.

You could fix that if you wanted by enabling some kind of slow framebuffer effect. I did that with the old Glide plugin and it was fixed.

Here are N64 screenshots taken with Angrylion's Pixel Accurate plugin. No enhancements.

n64pics-1.png

n64pics-2.png

n64pics-3.png

Yep. This is pretty much the way to go. I feel like the glide plugin isn't a huge step forward as most people think, and a lot of the problems people are mentioning are problems that have already been fixed with plugins that were released years ago if you know the correct settings. I'm banking on CEN64 and not going to touch N64 emulation until it comes out in a stable release.

nkarafo

But my 2500k OC'ed to 4.4ghz isn't fast enough for fullspeed with that. I'm waiting for that to get optimized to switch over to it.
This is the shit that bugs me about Angrylions plugin. I have a i5 4670 and even though it doesn't max any of my cores, it still runs way too slow, like at 50-60% speed. I mean, if it could just actually USE the damn core properly, it would easily be at 90% speed and if it used an extra core or two it would easily run at 100% speed with all games and without any overclocking.

So basically, this shit only uses like 15-20% of my CPU and runs like shit anyway. What a waste.

Anyway, here are the issues that still exist (or some new ones) with the new GlideN64 plugin. I suggest using the old Glide for these games at the moment. https://github.com/gonetz/GLideN64/issues

If by worse you mean worse graphics, then duh. Jabo's plugin "cleans" up the graphics and adds a lot of crap the real system didn't do.

But if you mean worse speeds, then of course. Pixel acurate emulation is more CPU intensive than what other plugins with fake graphics do.

By the way, if you disable the VI Filters, the games will run much faster (but they won't have the trademark blurry look). I have an i5 and Pokemon Snap runs just fine.

I don't get how that's supposed to make the new plugin appealing. You're doing a pretty bad job if that's the case.

-MD-

Only issue I have with this while playing conker is his shadow disappears and reappears constantly, don't think the original game had that problem.

Cleve

No ahead-of-its-time N64 anti-aliasing? NO SALE!

Seriously, good work to whomever put the time into making this

You could always smear vaseline on your screen then use cling film over the top for the perfect n64 image experience.

I'm really looking forward to jumping back in to Ogre Battle 64 again after all these years.

mjontrix

Gonetz has been extremely busy this whole time fixing up the graphics plugin - and now he's going for the android port man he's amazing!

Was definitely worth backing!

People shouldn't throw all texture packs under the bus because they saw one bad one.

Hypatia is working on a great MM texture pack in a Wind Waker style that looks great in game.

Wow, that Wind Waker texture pack actually looks pretty good. I may have to go through Wind Waker with that pack depending on how the rest of the game looks.

DonMigs85

Question, did the actual N64 use AA and AF? Been a long time since I used an actual N64 so not sure if it would be a false enhancement and I am trying to get it as accurate as possible here.

The N64 did do AA but not AF - bilinear or maybe trilinear filtering was the best it could do.
However I find that 16x AF works fine on just about any 3D N64 title, making textures look sharper and removing the shimmery effect at a distance.

nkarafo

can someone do F-Zero X? tempted to see how it looks with this.
F-Zero X used to have 3 problems with almost every plugin, including the older Glide64. Glow effect from the crafts was missing, there was a strange colored aura around the craft in the acceleration/top speed screen and in some levels, the distant fog effects were missing, causing a very bad pop-up effect (like in the first Silence level).

Of all those 3 issues, the missing fog effects is fixed. So it's an improvement, yes, but these these other issues remain:

Aura around craft:

Missing glow effect on glide/glideN64:

Correct effect on angrylion, the craft looks "shiny":

Are there any alternatives to Project 64? It keeps giving me BSODs and I can't find what is causing it.
I think this issue is caused by a missing Visual C++ library. I remember having this issue too at some point and installing the correct one fixed it. However, i can't remember which one is because i have like 10+ different Visual++ libraries installed on my system (what the hell is this shit anyway with every program needing it's own, exclusive library?)

Dr. Buni

I think this issue is caused by a missing Visual C++ library. I remember having this issue too at some point and installing the correct one fixed it. However, i can't remember which one is because i have like 10+ different Visual++ libraries installed on my system (what the hell is this shit anyway with every program needing it's own, exclusive library?)
I see. Thanks. I guess I will have to download and install each one of the Visual++ libraries then.

astonish

However, i can't remember which one is because i have like 10+ different Visual++ libraries installed on my system (what the hell is this shit anyway with every program needing it's own, exclusive library?)

It's not each program, every version of Visual studio (including each patch like SP1, SP2, etc) has a different version of the libraries. As a developer its super annoying.

bndadm

I cant wait to give this a ride. But does anything solve that damnable Body Harvest boat house glitch? I will have to tezt. But this is exciting to see progress.

nkarafo

I cant wait to give this a ride. But does anything solve that damnable Body Harvest boat house glitch? I will have to tezt. But this is exciting to see progress.
Boat house?

I don't know what you mean but Body Harvest always had severe clipping issues that made it pretty much unplayable and this new plugin still hasn't fixed it. I think you have to use an ancient version of PJ64 to properly play this, like 1.4 or older afaik. Or a slow pixel accurate plugin, but i'm not sure.

So finaly tested Bomberman 64 with Project 64 2.2 :D Works way better then ever before! All effects are emulated accuratly. And no glitches so far. Only problem was the sound but I fixed that with this audio plugin:

http://www.emutalk.net/threads/54522-Shunyuan-s-HLE-audio-plugin-v1-0

(Also enable HLE audio).
Yep, this is a great plugin. I use this along with azimer's. Almost never use Jabo's anymore.

The stutter and vsync problems I had disappeared as i disconnected my HD tv which was cloning the screen.

The bigger hangups still occur tho.

Seik

Banned
Pixel perfect is kinda cool, but since most N64 games are 3D and not sprites, I prefer to ajust the native resolution to good resolutions.

And holy shit, Mischief Makers!

nkarafo

My barometer for these updates is usually Yoshis story or Win back! How they running?
I really want to test Yoshi's Story because older plugins had issues with the water surface, however i do not have a completed save for this game, can't transfer one from the cart and i can't find a save on the net.

So i have to actually play the thing until i find a level to test :(

linko9

I only get a black screen (I use Project64 2.0). Have enabled the plugin in the settings. Jabo's Direct3D works.

Same problem here. Doesn't work on PJ64 2.2 or earlier. From googling, it seems a few other people have this problem, but it doesn't look like a solution is known yet.

M3d10n

Question, did the actual N64 use AA and AF? Been a long time since I used an actual N64 so not sure if it would be a false enhancement and I am trying to get it as accurate as possible here.

Edge-antialiasing, a very ancient form of AA present in early 3D cards. Depends on polygon drawing order to work because it involves fading the polygons out at their edges based on coverage. Looks like 4X MSAA, when it works.

About AF, the first consoles to feature it were the Xbox and the GameCube (and even then it was used sparingly). The N64 had mipmapping support, but it was expensive (and generally useless since the texture were often very low res). I'm not sure if it had trilinear filtered mipmaps.

Top Bottom