• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More accurate N64 graphics emulation plug-in released

ReyVGM

Trying to play conkers bad fur day with this plugin and the aspect ratio is just basically like a square box in the middle of the screen?

No matter what aspect ratio I pick it remains the same, just runs in a small square box (in full screen mode and windowed) anybody got any ideas why?

*Edit* Using project 64 newest version.

The real game runs like that. Lots of games of the era did that.
If you never noticed it back then, it's probably because of the Overscan on CRT TVs.

Robin64

Does it fix the sprite issues in paper mario?

Not entirely sure what the issues were, but this is how it looks.

GYn1Qvg.png

Kouriozan

Hopefully it also fix Pokémon Puzzle League so I won't have to switch plugin everytime I do a Team Rocket or regular stage.

ReyVGM

I realise the games ran in 4:3 aspect ratio but it's not that issue I am trying to describe, it is actually a smaller square inside of the 4:3 ratio?

Like imagine running a movie full screen on your PC but it not scaling to the full size of the screen but instead staying as a small box in the middle of the screen?

Yes, the real game was like that. Lots of games did that back then. Games back then did not upscale like games do nowadays.

Back then developers put black borders on top or bottom (usually containing energy, lives, etc. info) or they encased the game in a black frame.

The reason we did not notice that back then was because the edges of the games were hidden by the Overscan on CRT TVs.

omlet

So I can play OB64 now without hooking up my N64 and without having the emulator crash repeatedly in the last quarter due to graphics glitches, and also without those black background glitches?

Best news all week!

Robin64

Goemon's Great Adventure is still a bit iffy, but better than it ever was, I think. Can't remember, been so long since I played this.

v5Yn65H.png

Tailzo

I actually bought an n64 copy of ogre battle. I have no n64 though (And I doubt it would play on an euro n64), and I've heard it couldn't be emulated well before. Hmmm....

Robin64

Seems the Goemon pair both have a few problems, the first one does an odd thing with textures when they hit certain angles.

iRGpm1D.png

Still, first release, I expect things will get better. I'm very impressed on the whole!

Robin64

Does it make the fade-in effect work in games like Banjo Kazooie/DK64/Mario 64?

Do you mean where objects appear nicely instead of popping into existence, like the rocks and molehills in Spiral Mountain? Because that works.

Successfully retrieves the depthbuffer so that effects like DOF and AO can be applied through ReShade. Objects in motion cause the depthbuffer to act funky though

17366673636_28948dc64d_o.png

ReyVGM

Was that a limitation of the hardware then?

Well, all consoles have that limitation. The difference is nowadays games scale to full screen because people would freak out if they saw a black border anywhere.
When you hear that an Xbox One game is 900p, that means it doesn't fill the complete 1080p TV screen, so it is upscaled (stretched) to fill the screen.

Because other games like Diddy Kong racing scale really well, was it just that conker was more intensive so they had to scale it smaller?

Depends on the game yes. If they managed to strike a balance between graphics and framerate, while keeping the game full screen, then good for them.
But if the graphics are intensive, or if there's a lot of action, or if the framerate is taking a dip, then they could enclose the game in those borders to reduce the amount of stuff the console needed to work on.

Call me a grump, but I really don't like those hi-res texture packs.

Same here. I would rather play with original graphics, or as close as possible.

Robin64

Doubutsu no Mori has never had its UI looking so good before now. It's always been an absolute mess. Now it's nice!

uwk1FC7.png

Though maybe it was fine in Angrylion's Pixel Accurate plugin, dunno. Was far too slow for me to use before.

Successfully retrieves the depthbuffer so that effects like DOF and AO can be applied through ReShade. Objects in motion cause the depthbuffer to act funky though

17366673636_28948dc64d_o.png
Is this a real thing or just some mock up?
Real thing.

Call me a grump, but I really don't like those hi-res texture packs.
To each their own. Personally I just can't stand looking at an hd image with such muddy textures
17394057305_91e69d510c_o.png

Zane

I plan to push whole history and accept PR. But since I'll stop active work on the project soon, maintenance will be a problem. It is already problem - my mailbox is overloaded with messages from GitHub. I can't work and answer on everything at the same time. Probably enthusiasts you are talking about will need to clone the repo and play with the code in their own sandboxes.

Sounds like this is the first and last release for this plugin, at least from the author. Still has lots of bugs. Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie has random pauses and missing textures.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Do you mean where objects appear nicely instead of popping into existence, like the rocks and molehills in Spiral Mountain? Because that works.

Yessssssssssssssssss. Thank god! Was hard to go back to the 64 version after I lost access to a 360, that being one of the biggest issues.

ReyVGM

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Keep in mind that the pixel perfect one requires a hefty CPU. It's superb for taking accurate screenshots, though.

Is it possible to run the accurate emulation at full framerate?

I've seen demo videos from the work-in-progress CEN64, which tries to by cycle-accurate, emulator, and even with overclocked i7 chips it didn't achieve to run at normal speeds.

ReyVGM

I tried both of these and now PJ64 runs worse with them. I might as well stick with Jabo's stuff.

If by worse you mean worse graphics, then duh. Jabo's plugin "cleans" up the graphics and adds a lot of crap the real system didn't do.

But if you mean worse speeds, then of course. Pixel acurate emulation is more CPU intensive than what other plugins with fake graphics do.

By the way, if you disable the VI Filters, the games will run much faster (but they won't have the trademark blurry look). I have an i5 and Pokemon Snap runs just fine.

Robin64

This is what that scene looks like with this plugin. Honestly, I prefer this to both the hi-res pack and that weirdass filter in the second shot without. (I matched the vertical res, but didn't force widescreen)

PAPccK3.png

Awakened

Some of the fixes from this plugin's source are making their way into the glide64 plugin in the Mupen64Plus RetroArch core. They're in the nightly builds. Some things like Majora's pause screen and the puzzle transition effect in BK were actually fixed in that core a year ago or so though.
Goemon's Great Adventure is still a bit iffy, but better than it ever was, I think. Can't remember, been so long since I played this.

v5Yn65H.png
It looks a bit better in the RA core:

Though it might be because I'm running it at 320x240 internal res. Sometimes that fixes some defects. The game looks PERFECT with the Angrylion plugin:

But my 2500k OC'ed to 4.4ghz isn't fast enough for fullspeed with that. I'm waiting for that to get optimized to switch over to it.

Actually epsxe it is possible to get almost complete accuracy and it looks fantastic.
Mednafen is much better. No plugin fiddling, it just works. Well, it still needs BIOS files I guess.

It's not about parallelization, it's about flexibility.

AFAIK most graphics problems in N64 emulation come from differences in memory management model. The N64 (and most consoles, actually) had no distinction between RAM and VRAM and the CPU could access frame buffer data whenever it pleased. Also, there were a bunch of features that didn't map directly to traditional GPU feature sets. Also, the cost for software emulating the N64 GPU was orders of magnitude greater than the PSOne, due to things like texture filtering, floating point operation and depth buffer, which pushed emulators into HLE since the beginning.

Modern GPUs are far more flexible than those from the heyday of N64 emulation. They can use compute shaders to replicate hardware-specific features of the emulated hardware, like the N64's edge anti aliasing or the Dreamcast's per pixel translucency sorting. They are also much more flexible when it comes to memory management, compared to when emulators had to rely on painfully slow copying of frame buffer pixels to emulate off screen buffers.

I believe an emulator designed around DX12/Mantle/Vulkan, instead of merely a plugin, could do a lot more a lot faster.

I am not claiming that I know everything well, however I'm pretty sure that the fact the whole thing is not parallelizable would prevent it from being easily put onto GPU, and one of RCP's part is something that on the cover appears insanely similar to a regular CPU with SIMD instructions.

I don't see how GPU could help with emulating this.

Nerrel

This is what that scene looks like with this plugin. Honestly, I prefer this to both the hi-res pack and that weirdass filter in the second shot without. (I matched the vertical res, but didn't force widescreen)

PAPccK3.png

I prefer that look as well. Ideally, someone will dump the MM3D textures and convert them for use with the original game. It would probably provide about 60% of the visual upgrade of the 3DS version without the shitty fucking Zora swimming.

Top Bottom