• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More accurate N64 graphics emulation plug-in released

nkarafo

Yeah, shame.
It's indeed a shame because the first level looks almost perfect. The new mip mapping system makes it look like it should without the texture problems of the old Glide plugin. But then you get to the 4th level (Surface) and the graphic glitches are much more severe than what you could get from the old version.

Emulation is always a bit of a touchy subject.

I wish there was a wiki where you just search a game and it shows you:

- best emulator
- best plug ins
- best settings

Something like http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home but for emulation.
There was something like this for the N64 as it looks oudated now (2012 it seems)

http://bhemuhelp.co.nf/n64mgcl/N64ConfigList.htm

Rom list links are at the top of the page, sorted alphabetically. I remember using that guide and for the most part it was correct, although i did found some slightly better combinations myself.

Armageddon

Neo Member
I hope a future update to this plugin makes Gauntlet Legends playable. The intro runs perfect, but once you hit play on the main menu you just get a black screen. When I try to run it with Angrylion's pixel perfect plugin it seems like everything works, but it's too slow to be playable.

Has anyone else ever had any luck playing this game? From what I remember looking up info in the past, no-ones really ever been able to get it to play well without major problems.

Arren

Is it possible to use this plugin in Retroarch? Having that would be ideal, as the standalone version of Mupen64Plus is rather cumbersome and nitpicky with its settings.

Moreover, is the widescreen hack working with this?

Rich!

Is it possible to use this plugin in Retroarch? Having that would be ideal, as the standalone version of Mupen64Plus is rather cumbersome and nitpicky with its settings.

AFAIK no, but elements are being implemented in Retroarch. Plugins are in the core itself unless I'm wrong.

I did read that gliden64 will be added just like angrylion was though.

Arren

That's wonderful to hear. These days I find Retroarch to be the most useful and hassle-free option to emulate any retro system: no input lag of any sort and quite a diverse array of configurations to delve into.

In the meantime which emulator and specific version would you recommend using this plugin with, in order to experiment and have the smoothest experience? I have tried Mupenplus 2.5 with the M64py frontend, but it's giving me one hell of an headache.

Rich!

That's wonderful to hear. These days I find Retroarch to be the most useful and hassle-free option to emulate any retro system: no input lag of any sort and quite a diverse array of configurations to delve into.

In the meantime which emulator and specific version would you recommend using this plugin with, in order to experiment and have the smoothest experience? I have tried Mupenplus 2.5 with the M64py frontend, but it's giving me one hell of an headache.

Project64 I guess, but its still part of a bad bunch of options.

Awakened

If you grab the latest nightly build of the core, some fixes from GlideN64 are already in it's glide64 plugin.

JNT

What's the difference between Project64 and Project64 Git ?

I'm guessing the Git is referring to the source code repository on Github. It should be more up to date, but at the same time more untested. And it requires you to compile the project yourself.

I'm guessing the Git is referring to the source code repository on Github. It should be more up to date, but at the same time more untested. And it requires you to compile the project yourself.

Thanks.

Where can I get a proper install or zip file of Azimer's HLE audio plugin ? There is one on Emucr but the Project64 emulator I got from there fucking installed so much spyware shit on my drive. Fuck that website.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What's the difference between Project64 and Project64 Git ?

Wait, did PJ64 go open source? Wasn't is closed source and the newest version costed money for a while?

Thanks.

Where can I get a proper install or zip file of Azimer's HLE audio plugin ? There is one on Emucr but the Project64 emulator I got from there fucking installed so much spyware shit on my drive. Fuck that website.

Azimer's HLE plugin is ancient at this point... Why would you need or want it aside if you're trying to get some more speed ups.

Azimer's HLE plugin is ancient at this point... Why would you need or want it aside if you're trying to get some more speed ups.

I see. The audio kept hitching anyway.

What plugins should I use ? And what is the RSP plugin ?

edit: this seems to be a problem only with Paper Mario. Is anyone here running it perfectly ? Not only are there audio issues, but the game suffers slowdown during loading screens and it messes up the audio even more. There are also graphical glitches with the top horizontal pixels line and the right vertical pixels line displaying weird colors.

I'm talking to my bro right now, he's having to reformat his computer because of the amount of virus/bloatware/crapware this thing installs.

He unchecked everything but his computer still got totally jacked. It pegged his cpu and changed his cpu name, windows name, (saying he has windows 8.1 and his cpu is showing up as AMD Athlon 5350 now. Some of the programs it installed are: max computer cleaner, search protect, coupoon, gmsd-us-55a.

Beware!

Just to clarify, he installed the newest version of project 64 (2.2).

Quick loads aren't working for me. When I press F7, the emulator crashes and I get a message saying something resembling "unknown action on memory". What gives ?

edit: nevermind. The issue is with the audio plugin, apparently. I need to reset the ROM once for the loadstate to work. Weird, but it works. This thread was informative.

edit: I have another issue though. The emulator does not remember my configuration of the video plugin. Has this happened to anyone else ?

Are the plugin, folder or ini set as read only? That could cause that.

I just checked and some are. I tried to change the parameter for the entire folder but Windows says I need administrator rights to do that, and I am the administrator. How can I remedy this ?

Mirk

I just checked and some are. I tried to change the parameter for the entire folder but Windows says I need administrator rights to do that, and I am the administrator. How can I remedy this ?

Odd are you on the administrator account? What version of windows are you using? I know by default admin is hidden in win 7 and 8. So you have to enable it to log on to it. I dunno anything about using user accounts in windows really. I always use the admin account after installing windows. You can google how to turn it on. Log in change the properties. Then back to your account.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I may have missed it, but which files replace what in regards to project64?

I'm not great at this stuff and I will only fuck it up If I start guessing.

Odd are you on the administrator account? What version of windows are you using? I know by default admin is hidden in win 7 and 8. So you have to enable it to log on to it. I dunno anything about using user accounts in windows really. I always use the admin account after installing windows. You can google how to turn it on. Log in change the properties. Then back to your account.

I succeeded in turning off "read only" but the emulator is still not saving my preferences for the video plugin.

Mirk

I succeeded in turning off "read only" but the emulator is still not saving my preferences for the video plugin.

Hmm I dunno then :(. It works fine on my end.

For you guys installing it you don't replace anything. When you download the plugin the are 2 .dll files in there. It dosen't matter what one you use for p64. Just take one of them and put it in the plugin folder in p64 dir. Then once p64 is loaded change to that video plugin.

OmegaDL50

How does Killer Instinct Gold look?

I could never get that game to run or look right.

I'm hoping things have improved.

Huggy

I had a black screen with my games, but after some googleing I set copyDepthToRDRAM=1 to 0 in the .ini. I have an image now.
Hope it helps posters with the same problem.

linko9

I had a black screen with my games, but after some googleing I set copyDepthToRDRAM=1 to 0 in the .ini. I have an image now.
Hope it helps posters with the same problem.

Didn't change anything for me unfortunately. But glad you got it working, hopefully these issues will be cleared up in future releases.

Ok this may sound dumb but I'm not understanding how to download the the plugin. When I go to the website in the OP and pick the download source, instead of downloading the plugin, it downloads spyware that installs extensions to my Safari web browser. What's up with that?

Robin64

Ok this may sound dumb but I'm not understanding how to download the the plugin. When I go to the website in the OP and pick the download source, instead of downloading the plugin, it downloads spyware that installs extensions to my Safari web browser. What's up with that?

Yeah, avoid the link in the OP.

Use this mirror.

Lagamorph

What's the best N64 emulator these days? In particular for a windows tablet. Project 64 seems to struggle on a few titles on my Stream 7, and it's been fairly loaded up with ads in the recent versions hasn't it?

Nerrel

I have been wondering as well. Tried doing a google search and couldn't find anything about using the new GLideN64 plugin with Project64.

I may have missed it, but which files replace what in regards to project64?

I'm not great at this stuff and I will only fuck it up If I start guessing.

How do I get the Plugin to work with Project64?

Extract GlideN64 and navigate to the bin>win32>zilmar-specs.

Open your Project-64 folder and navigate to Plugin>GFX.

Drag the gliden64.dll from the glide folder into your project-64 plugin folder and that's it. All you have to do is open Project64 and set glideN64 as your graphics plugin in settings. If you want the game-specific configurations, drag gliden64.custom in as well, and if you want the different translations you can drag the other files in too.

It's really simple, but made complicated by the fact that most people don't know what the hell zilmar-spec is.

Drag the gliden64.dll from the glide folder into your project-64 plugin folder and that's it. All you have to do is open Project64 and set glideN64 as your graphics plugin in settings. If you want the game-specific configurations, drag gliden64.custom in as well, and if you want the different translations you can drag the other files in too.

It's really simple, but made complicated by the fact that most people don't know what the hell zilmar-spec is.

Would this not be compatible with Retropie!?

Xiraiya

This makes me want to go back to Conker, never really looked too much into N64 emulation.

Also I both like and dislike Hi-res texture packs for emulated games.
Generally, running an old console game full screen on PC will look ridiculous regardless. So I just play them in small windows about 2x their native resolution and that's a good compromise.

Rich!

This makes me want to go back to Conker, never really looked too much into N64 emulation.

Also I both like and dislike Hi-res texture packs for emulated games.
Generally, running an old console game full screen on PC will look ridiculous regardless. So I just play them in small windows about 2x their native resolution and that's a good compromise.

I'm basically a 240p or bust kinda guy really

original res, upscaled. it's a different situation for later consoles after the N64 with a higher poly count though - Wii/PSP/PS2/GC, etc all look superb renderered in 1080p

Ah, yeah. Figured it out several days ago, then thought to myself "Duh!" Tried out Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Top Bottom