• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More bad news for Nintendo: Wiikey team claims WiiU cracked.

Straw that breaks the camel's back perhaps though?

Perhaps, but the theoretical post-rampant piracy reality of the Wii U marketplace would have exactly the same problems as the current one: people aren't buying enough software. As is, consumers already don't need piracy as an excuse not to buy software. So, in effect, the only thing that can reasonably be argued is that piracy may hinder recovery efforts. This is in contrast to any suggestion that it may be in and of itself the problem that would concern third parties.

Anth0ny

This device PROBABLY will not...

Allow for region free (unless Nintendo forgot to give seperate regions different encryption keys, again)

wat :mad:

All I want is region free. Maybe access to the Japanese e-shop.

Effect

Yeah. This is the reason they might stop releasing games. I feel like this observation ignores the current reality of third-party support that is happening right now.

Anything third parties can use as a justification for not putting anything on the system can and will be used. With things are fragile as they are nothing is needed that will put the limited support there is in jeopardy regardless of something's officially stated intent.

I hope Nintendo is able to do something regarding this any thing else that shows itself. Anything that puts software support and sales at jeopardy needs to be combated. I say that as a Wii U owner who does not want to see his investment wasted or hurt. I want games to play on my system and the only way that happens if crap like this and anything that can be derived from it doesn't exist.

Backups, my ass.

All this means is free games for everyone and pirates have their way with the WiiU.

All it ever has meant. All it ever will mean.

There's probably a fair deal more illegitimate usage than legitimate usage. However, I do think it's unfair to act as though nobody would ever use it for backup purposes.

Anything third parties can use as a justification for not putting anything on the system can and will be used. With things are fragile as they are nothing is needed that will put the limited support there is in jeopardy regardless of something's officially stated intent.

I hope Nintendo is able to do something regarding this any thing else that shows itself.

Who cares about the PR reasoning, though? We all are apprised enough of the situation to be able to read between the lines when we hear something like "we don't know how to properly implement unique GamePad features, so no Wii U version," and know that what they're really getting at is "we don't think the game will sell well enough to bother wasting our time." That is already true without any threat of piracy.

All I'm calling out is that -- given the current reality -- pretending that piracy might be the primary concern that threatens third party support on the platform is incredibly disingenuous.

KAL2006

Banned
The Wii U is officially dead folks. Botched launch, with underpowered hardware, slow OS and and long games draught. No sign of decent 3rd party support as well as year head start against PS4/Durango not really doing munch and now piracy will kick Nintendo while they are down and the PS4/Durango onslought on its way. Seems like the Wii U was rushed into market and its all coming back to haunt Nintendo.

hey now, backups can be a good thing too... but yeah, homebrew would be awesome... the things people would come up with for the controller!

This is what I'm interested in. Would love to see the GamePad opened up to the Homebrew scene. I can imagine a perfect media box that utilizes the GamePad, amongst other things.

Would also be nice to be able to increase the signal range of the GamePad in some manner.

That's exactly what he means, now with the posibility of Piracy on the console, third parties can use it as a excuse to avoid WiiU altogether.

Third parties don't need an excuse not to support the system. Nintendo already provides one with their abysmal sales.

Piracy won't affect any developer plans. 360, ps2, and DS all got tons of third party games.

Storm360

Interesting, I'd prefer this wouldn't exist, but might get one if its proven to last, I love games digitally for convince but don't trust Nintendo yet

0xCA2

Yeah, those consoles that were successful in spite of piracy had huge audiences that didn't know how to pirate or know that they can pirate. Or they didn't want to go through the trouble of pirsting.

Hopefully the Wii U gets a huge mainstream audience before it gets kbown as the piracy console.

Neff

Wonder if Nintendo will eventually be able to detect this and ban WiiU consoles which install this and make the mistake of going online with it?

They'll definitely be able to detect it and they'll take preventative and punishment steps. They'll be more aggressive with their legal department in obstructing this than Sony or MS are I think.

Unfortunately for them, they can't count on the necessity of taking hardware online that Sony and MS can. PSN and XBL are essential components of the PS3/360 experience. Wii U doesn't have that lure, and given Nintendo's lax participation in the online gaming market, probably never will. So many Wii U owners might happily end up pirating the console's library offline, udating cfw, free of ban worry because they have nothing to be banned from. That would be a terrible shame.

Effect

They'll definitely be able to detect it and they'll take preventative and punishment steps. They'll be more aggressive with their legal department in obstructing this than Sony or MS are I think.

Unfortunately for them, they can't count on the necessity of taking hardware online that Sony and MS can. PSN and XBL are essential components of the PS3/360 experience. Wii U doesn't have that lure, and given Nintendo's lax participation in the online gaming market, probably never will. So many Wii U owners might happily end up pirating the console's library offline, udating cfw, free of ban worry because they have nothing to be banned from. That would be a terrible shame.

Banned from the eShop (games, demos, dlc), Miiverse, Nintendo TVii, and game updates to start. All of that is run through their network. The eShop and Miiverse have been positioned to be essential aspects of the Wii U.

daxgame

Not sure what to think of this, afaik there are no dumped games around ? or are they? It's funny because for 3DS it's the opposite.

liquidtmd

Banned
Nintendos encryption and security team

simpsons-monkeys-at-typewriters.jpg

It was...the BLURST of times?

I wonder if Nintendo really is monitoring which system(s) have been playing pirated games. If they can do this and reprimand their online privileges it would be good.

No access to those eight 25 year old VC titles or Nintendos bullentin board for you little Timmy!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nintendo says they know but that the Wii U is still secured...

Guess who I'm more inclined to believe?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This device PROBABLY will not...

Allow for region free (unless Nintendo forgot to give seperate regions different encryption keys, again)

So it won't do literally the only reason to mod a Wii U?

wat :mad:

All I want is region free. Maybe access to the Japanese e-shop.

Pretty much. Couldn't care less about the rest.

Foshy

UPDATE: Nintendo has said that it is aware of the Wiikey group's attempts to hack Wii U security but believes the console's systems that block pirated games currently remain secure.

"Nintendo is aware that a hacking group claims to have compromised Wii U security," a spokesperson told Eurogamer. "However, we have no reports of illegal Wii U games nor unauthorized applications playable on the system while in Wii U mode.

"Nintendo continuously monitors all threats to its products' security and will use technology and will take the necessary legal steps to prevent the facilitation of piracy."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ims-to-have-hacked-wii-u-to-play-copied-games

Interesting how they're reacting to this while they never said anything about fail0verflow.

Z3M0G

Who cares about the PR reasoning, though? We all are apprised enough of the situation to be able to read between the lines when we hear something like "we don't know how to properly implement unique GamePad features, so no Wii U version," and know that what they're really getting at is "we don't think the game will sell well enough to bother wasting our time." That is already true without any threat of piracy.

All I'm calling out is that -- given the current reality -- pretending that piracy might be the primary concern that threatens third party support on the platform is incredibly disingenuous.

I don't think anyone is saying they will call it the "primary" concern... but now this is an excuse to not make WiiU games that doesn't make the developer/publisher sound lazy. So it might be there "primarily" stated excuse.

I see no hope for the WiiU... none at all...

The Wii U is officially dead folks. Botched launch, with underpowered hardware, slow OS and and long games draught. No sign of decent 3rd party support as well as year head start against PS4/Durango not really doing munch and now piracy will kick Nintendo while they are down and the PS4/Durango onslought on its way. Seems like the Wii U was rushed into market and its all coming back to haunt Nintendo.

Rushed to market 2-3 years too late... Pachter was right about when this thing ("Wii-HD") should have arrived.

If Nintendo are really able to detect this mod somehow, I hope they'll be able to inject somekind of "firmware" update which bricks the console permanently.

99,9% of these hardware mods are used for pirating the shit out of a system and for nothing else. everyone knows that.
Lots of my friends are doing it and they don't care at all if I complain. worse, they even laugh at me. It became so normal nowadays. It pisses me off. Buy your fucking games.
If you are really the one that uses this for "backup only", well congrats; you are one in a million then but don't whine if your console becomes unuseable.

I don't think anyone is saying they will call it the "primary" concern... but now this is an excuse to not make WiiU games that doesn't make the developer/publisher sound lazy. So it might be there "primarily" stated excuse.

But, again, who cares? Publishers are either going to support the platform or they aren't. What their PR claims is the reason for not bringing a title over is irrelevant. Publishers don't think that they're going to make money, so they're not bringing over titles. Backlash from Wii U owners that the "GamePad presents unique problems" excuse is bullshit wasn't going to make them cave. They don't need an excuse.

If Nintendo are really able to detect this mod somehow, I hope they'll be able to inject somekind of "firmware" update which bricks the console permanently.

99,9% of these hardware mods are used for pirating the shit out of a system and for nothing else. everyone knows that.
Lots of my friends are doing it and they don't care at all if I complain. worse, they even laugh at me. It became so normal nowadays. It pisses me off. Buy your fucking games.
If you are really the one that uses this for "backup only", well congrats; you are one in a million then but don't whine if your console becomes unuseable.

This sentiment seems so misguided. Particularly the bolded. But even the rest of it largely misses the point. Pirates not buying games is a problem. But in theory, there's still a chance to overcome the problem of them not buying software. But you know who can't buy software? People with bricked systems.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

What a crap thing to say. I'd buy this device to backup my games. It would be great to have a carousel of games to play from the HDD and extend the life of my optical unit.

What a crap thing to say. I'd buy this device to backup my games. It would be great to have a carousel of games to play from the HDD and extend the life of my optical unit.

I don't get the logic of harming your warranty with this hardware mod to extend the life of your optical unit.

ymmv

Banned
It's a modchip hack. It'll only catch on in countries where modchips flow like water. That being said there isn't much of a market for a wii u hack nor a modchip right now, so a wii u modchip wouldn't make as big of a dent as you think.

The only thing that excites me is that this might be the wedge needed to bust the scene wide open. An angle that hackers could use to test exploits to open the system more.

That's more or less what happened with the Wii. The Wiikey guys got their mod chip out first. Then there were the mod chip copiers and finally hackers who didn't like how unscrupulous companies were making money out of these hacks and made all the info available for free for everyone so softmods could be made.

Fail0verflow has been working on the Wii U for a while too. I bet they'll preparing their own stuff as a response to WiiKey's Wii U mod chip.

It does look like the Wii U will be pirate heaven in a short while. This is just another nail in the Wii U's coffin.

Effect

It would still be worth it. Just select the game you want to play and go.

Then buy the digital version off of the eShop! It's not like the option isn't there like on the Wii. The digital version is released right along side the physical copy outside of a few launch day hold outs. There is no need to "back up" a game now. Either rebuy it or just buy it digitally from the start.

Congrats, you're the 10th person to make this joke on this thread alone!

It happens.

In all seriousness I can't wait for Wii U's holiday and I hope this doesn't grow into a larger problem, given the reliability of Wode and the X360key (both are from the same makers as this Wii U hack I believe).

That is just about all this thing does. Well, it allows you to play "backups" of your precious Wii U discs so you don't have to worry about... scratching them.

Are you all really not getting it? The one thing it allows you to do is play a pirated game. It won't let you modify the actual game, but apparently it will let you play a "backup". The term "backup" is politically correct verbose for describing a bootleg (i.e. rom, iso, wbfs, etc.)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Why not just buy the digital version then. It's not like the option isn't there.

I can't sell the digital version. When I've had enough of a game. Can delete it fron the HDD and sell it to buy more games.
If the DD version was half priced to begin with I'd be tempted but stupidly, it's full retail price.

Top Bottom