• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More bad news for Nintendo: Wiikey team claims WiiU cracked.

wsippel

Banned
There only one point missing: from the description, it seems to have some UI for selecting games. If it doesn't hack the actual Wii U OS, how does it work?
There's something about an USB remote in the description, so I guess you switch images on the mod hardware itself, not using a native Wii U GUI.

There only one point missing: from the description, it seems to have some UI for selecting games. If it doesn't hack the actual Wii U OS, how does it work?

LCD screen I'd guess. That's how most of those drive emulators work. I can guarantee they didn't enable any software hacks.

I'd imagine Nintendo will change the drive they use at some point.

Changing the drive isn't going to help if it's truly an emulator (IE, not piggy-backing off of the real DVD drive).

They'd have to change how they handle the handshake between drive and system, that would require (depending on how the handshake is handled) changing the drive and likely the mainboard as well. If it can all be changed via firmware updates, then it'd still likely require a board revision or else any software update would break older consoles (unless Nintendo had some forsight and have a means of updating the drive's firmware... but if the encryptions have already been broken on it, this would only cause owners to have to update the firmware)

Portugeezer

If anything, it might just push more units in South America at least. Piracy is rampant and most buy the hardware if it can be pirated, reason why the PS2 is still pretty popular.

But they lose money on hardware and will fail to recoup it in the south American market.

wsippel

Banned
I guess being able to but a game physically and still run it from the HDD would be awesome.
I doubt this thing will be all that cheap, and it's an internal hardmod so it'll void your warranty. Don't think it would be worth it. failoverflow is still working on a proper softmod with homebrew and region free and all, so it's probably better to wait a while.

nekomix

Hardware hack? No region lock? Not interested in but if this news and the devices are spread, Nintendo has some shit to wipe...

Great...let the thievery begin I guess. Oh yeah, I mean back up copying in case I lose one or it's destroyed on accident :^/

Maybe online only really will be the future. Until it's hacked.

SmokyDave

Great...let the thievery begin I guess. Oh yeah, I mean back up copying in case I lose one or it's destroyed on accident :^/

You say that as though there's no legit use for format shifting. I want my games on an HDD but I refuse to support Nintendo's ridiculous account systems. Something like this is just what the Doctor
ordered.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So basically it only allows for pirating ("backups")? what a bunch of crap

Why would that matter if you own all your own legit WiiU games?

What's so crap about being able to take your legit bought game and backing it up?

"Only" should be enough for those who want that functionality but what exactly are you eluding to by it being a bunch of crap?

Poor people who have to illegally DL games from torrent sites then lol

I'm not really sure how else to interpret this.

Anteo

What's so crap about being able to take your legit bought game and backing it up?

"Only" should be enough for those who want that functionality but what exactly are you eluding to by it being a bunch of crap?

That's exactly what he means, now with the posibility of Piracy on the console, third parties can use it as a excuse to avoid WiiU altogether.

Mithos

I doubt this thing will be all that cheap, and it's an internal hardmod so it'll void your warranty. Don't think it would be worth it. failoverflow is still working on a proper softmod with homebrew and region free and all, so it's probably better to wait a while.

Oh, yeah they are almost never cheap in the beginning. I know remember the prices of GC chips and Wii chips INSANE prices.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

There are multiple valid reasons for backing up your game discs to a hard drive that have nothing to do with piracy, including the convenience of not having to switch discs every time you want to switch games and decreased loading times.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Disappointing that it won't allow for region free.

Unless the dubious moral grounds of buying the imported game but downloading a hacked iso of it or something would be the route to that, although for whatever reason theyre saying only 1:1 disc rips work. But that may be only a matter of time or even planned obsolescence with a WiiUKey2 that allowed such things ;)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

Well yes, but mostly that all I want from a Wii U hack is region free play

Disappointing that it won't allow for region free.

Unless the dubious moral grounds of buying the imported game but downloading a hacked iso of it or something would be the route to that, although for whatever reason theyre saying only 1:1 disc rips work. But that may be only a matter of time or even planned obsolescence with a WiiUKey2 that allowed such things ;)

It's 1:1 because games are encrypted and hashed, modifying encrypted anything without first decrypting and reencrypting breaks things quite spectacularly.

Wii games were the same way, but due to software hacks in the system itself, you could disable the hash tags or before that, use the trucha bug to fake proper signing.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Just a drive emulator, huh? Let the firmware updates war begin! ...

But if this requires user-end hardware modding, I don't see making *much* damage. What I would really hate to see is cheating enabled in online games. Killed Wii's CoDs for me.

You say that as though there's no legit use for format shifting. I want my games on an HDD but I refuse to support Nintendo's ridiculous account systems. Something like this is just what the Doctor
ordered.
No, I say that because we both know the primary objective for most people and what it will be used for. Sure, it has benefits like physical copies that can still be played off the hdd, but seriously, how many people will use it for just that? Piracy will come from it, and there is no need to pretend like it won't.

Zabant

I think everyone's missing an angle here.

Publishers like Activision might stop releasing games on the WII U because of this.

It has a low install base, and now the ability to pirate meaning more people might buy a wii u just to get the pirated versions of new games might tip them over the edge.

Just a drive emulator, huh? Let the firmware updates war begin! ...

But if this requires user-end hardware modding, I don't see making *much* damage. What I would really hate to see is cheating enabled in online games. Killed Wii's CoDs for me.

It will likely devaste any chance of it making money in piracy hungry places (china, russia, spain, most of south america/central america/mexico). But then again, it likely wasn't selling well there to begin with.

Paradoxically, it may raise sales in other places... at least of digital titles. Way too early to have any good idea on it.

Publishers like Activision might stop releasing games on the WII U because of this.

It has a low install base, and now the ability to pirate meaning more people might buy a wii u just to get the pirated versions of new games might tip them over the edge.

It's a modchip hack. It'll only catch on in countries where modchips flow like water. That being said there isn't much of a market for a wii u hack nor a modchip right now, so a wii u modchip wouldn't make as big of a dent as you think.

The only thing that excites me is that this might be the wedge needed to bust the scene wide open. An angle that hackers could use to test exploits to open the system more.

It's a modchip hack. It'll only catch on in countries where modchips flow like water. That being said there isn't much of a market for a wii u hack nor a modchip right now, so a wii u modchip wouldn't make as big of a dent as you think.

The only thing that excites me is that this might be the wedge needed to bust the scene wide open. An angle that hackers could use to test exploits to open the system more.

Unlikely. There is nothing that it does that really benefits... The drive basically works in a bubble outside of the rest of the hardware/software so there isn't anything that can be done to it that enables any sort of homebrew work.

That said, it may work as a wedge in another way, it might force the hands of anyone who's already working on a hack to move faster. It's hard to grab internet glory if someone else beats you to it.

Marcan isn't likely to be phased by it, but he's hardly the only person that hacks consoles for a hobby.

ari

Banned
Meh, the pirate scene will have a field day once emulators and shit take advantage of that utablet.

Yeah. This is the reason they might stop releasing games. I feel like this observation ignores the current reality of third-party support that is happening right now.

Anteo

I've yet to meet a person in the real world who hacks their consoles for anything other then free games.

Me neither. And I know a guy that actually got a new 3ds just to play 3ds japan games, but nope, not hacking his wii to get import games.

Anyways the point is, as good as gaf is by not pirating anything and using this just for backups, people out there will use it for piracy, and even if it doesn't really affect sales that much, publishers can use it as a excuse to not support the WiiU.

Yeah. This is the reason they might stop releasing games. I feel like this observation ignores the current reality of third-party support that is happening right now.

Whatever work Nintendo do to atract 3rd parties would be useless with this thing around.

Unlikely. There is nothing that it does that really benefits... The drive basically works in a bubble outside of the rest of the hardware/software so there isn't anything that can be done to it that enables any sort of homebrew work.

That said, it may work as a wedge in another way, it might force the hands of anyone who's already working on a hack to move faster. It's hard to grab internet glory if someone else beats you to it.

Marcan isn't likely to be phased by it, but he's hardly the only person that hacks consoles for a hobby.

Ah ok. I was just thinking about how the 360 scene progressed. It started at learning the drivekey and being able to run backups, to being able to change or ignore flags, to being able to fakesign or ignore the signing of discs and run Linux, and from there the system was kind of broken wide open for older consoles.

But I didnt follow it extensively tbh.

Top Bottom