• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More powerful Nintendo Switch model rumored for early 2021

Humdinger

With Switch sales on fire, they wouldn't want to announce an upgraded console right now, even if they did have one in the works. They would wait until the sales start to ebb.

I hope this is true -- I'd love a more powerful version of the Switch -- but looking at the history of these sorts of rumors, it's hard to have much confidence.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
I don't think they'll be pushing native 4k either. I think the DLSS 2.0 can handle upscaling the graphics to that resolution, say from 1080p to 4k.
I'm pretty sure DLSS is capable of doing that and it doesn't require a massive hit to the gpu/cpu performance.

I agree think this will be a DLSS 2.0 capable system. I think there was some chatter about that months ago.

If this system is 4K capable ( with DLSS 2.0 ) and have those top notch Sharp screen rumoured a while back. This upgrade could be something.

MDSLKTR

Lol nintendo barely knows how to count to 1080, now they aiming for 4k?

tenor.gif

carlosrox

Banned
If this is true then the next Switch release really could be a pretty significant power upgrade?

Like, an honest to God Switch Pro and not just a New Switch?

ExKing

With Switch sales on fire, they wouldn't want to announce an upgraded console right now, even if they did have one in the works. They would wait until the sales start to ebb.

I hope this is true -- I'd love a more powerful version of the Switch -- but looking at the history of these sorts of rumors, it's hard to have much confidence.

I would disagree. They should actually release that system when the Switch is still hot. Early 2021 ( probably March/April ), would be a great timing because PS5 and Xbox One X are just at the beginning of their gen with very few "Next Gen" games available.

Let's not forget that Nintendo failed to release a Wii upgrade when the Wii was hot. They never recovered.

StormCell

If this is true then the next Switch release really could be a pretty significant power upgrade?

Like, an honest to God Switch Pro and not just a New Switch?

From what I'm hearing, with my limited understanding, a lot of this can be achieved with mainly a CPU upgrade and not necessarily a big bump to the GPU. Things like framerate and resolution are often limited by CPU more than GPU, IIRC. Basically, they could do a lot with a little. Even my TV is able to read/render/consume 4K Netflix/Hulu/Disney+, so imagine what a modest CPU boost would do for framerates and resolution of existing Switch titles where it honestly matters much.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Not surprised as I have been saying this for over a year. Only difference is that I was expecting September 2020 for it to launch where as now, it will probably be March 2021.

StormCell

Not surprised as I have been saying this for over a year. Only difference is that I was expecting September 2020 for it to launch where as now, it will probably be March 2021.

If Bloomberg's sources are solid, you may want to push back expectations to Q3 of 2021. Manufacturing of the new hardware won't begin until Q1.

JMarcell

I bet it will be a dock-only Switch with a more powerful Tegra chip in it, making it as powerful as vanilla Xbox One

Last edited:

ExKing

Makes sense

You know, I was thinking. What if this new Switch is a non-portable console aimed at people that don't care about portability?
With Lite it was the opposite, aimed at people that wanted *only* portability, so this new Switch would complement that one and focus on sheer power.

Actually I was thinking the same. After all the Switch Lite is just portable. Why not having a console only system for core gamers.

But maybe this will confuse too much consumers. Besides, there were those rumours of sharp IGZO screen. So ultimately, this will still be a hybrid.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
If it wasn't for the fact Nintendo is currently very quiet, I'd laugh this off... but, stranger things have happened.

Still, I doubt this. I think the refresh they wanted to do all along, was done last year. You know..the Switch Lite, and also the one with more battery life.. I believe those were the new Switch versions that were causing confusion internally about a new system. And that there is no such thing as a Switch "Pro".

Right now I'll say it's not gonna happen. But if by the end of mid September there isn't a Direct filled with game announcements for the current Switch, I'll fully expect these rumours to be true.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I can see the new Switch's extra muscle being used to DLSS scale up from whatever resolution the game runs at on the regular Switch. Seems like it would be an easy thing for developers to do since Nvidia and Nintendo are partners. Having 720p games like XB1 and 2 with 1440p image quality and 1080p games with 4K image quality would be amazing. They could even have DLSS patches for older games.

cireza

We have been getting rumours of outstanding hardware from Nintendo since the Wii era. It NEVER happened.

Get real guys. Nintendo is never going to released a high quality product.

Arkam

Hopefully the new Tegra isn't using Samsung's fab process

Why? People keep on saying this, but what's the point of 1080 on a screen that size? Plus going to 1080 means lots more power to run the panel (because it's got twice as many pixels) and more power for the backlight (because the higher pixel density means less of the panel can be transparent). So you end up with either a bigger battery or shorter playtime for an "improvement" that's not even going to be visible to most people at the distances you are typically playing the switch.

I agree. I think 720p is plenty crisp at that size. But the rumor mentioned 1080 undocked, so I am just looking at what chipsets are 'available' that make sense.

Orta

Banned
SONY has Nintendo on the run previous Nintendo consoles didn’t give a damn about power, graphics so about 35% more powerful it feels like Nintendo is building momentum into next generation you got the games and I don’t know why you’re so careless with graphics and power (crucial in video games) Switch Pro Lite will get Nintendo ahead and if Link comes back in Breath of the Wild 2 it’ll bury gaming

tenor.gif

Carna

Banned
The home console version of the switch? not a hybrid or anything? so like the Wii u maybe.

Last edited:

StormCell

We have been getting rumours of outstanding hardware from Nintendo since the Wii era. It NEVER happened.

Get real guys. Nintendo is never going to released a high quality product.

You demonstrate that you totally don't understand the value proposition of the Switch. It's not an $800 tablet or phone. The thing has to cost roughly $300, so imagine the rest of us, in this thread, are thinking along those lines (portable hardware, $300 price point, hardware refresh/bump) and aren't likely to be too disappointed with whatever Nintendo chooses.

00_Zer0

Whatever the next Switch is I do not believe it will be a huge leap over the original Switch. It will be like a New Switch XL or something.

I don't think a true successor will come until 2023 at the earliest. This will give time for partners like Nvidia or whoever they partner with to come up with the next big leap for the actual Switch 2.

I hope they continue with Nvidia for Switch 2. I would definitely be interested in a new chipset that blows the original Tegra out of the water. If they integrate DLSS 2.0 along with a new chipset, and more ram at a faster speed, it will go a long way to compete in a similar way that the original Switch competed against PS4 and XBox One.

Last edited:

cireza

You demonstrate that you totally don't understand the value proposition of the Switch. It's not an $800 tablet or phone. The thing has to cost roughly $300, so imagine the rest of us, in this thread, are thinking along those lines (portable hardware, $300 price point, hardware refresh/bump) and aren't likely to be too disappointed with whatever Nintendo chooses.
Having owned a Switch, and now having Switch Lite, I perfectly understand the value proposition.

Still these rumors are always the same. 1080p, more powerful hardware, high quality screen, DLSS etc...

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
If Bloomberg's sources are solid, you may want to push back expectations to Q3 of 2021. Manufacturing of the new hardware won't begin until Q1.

UGH. Damn 2020 to hell!!! SMH.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
They really could claim 4K with DLSS. New SoC could be the 12nm Tegra.

A larger 1080p screen vía bezel-less design , WiFi 6, full Bluetooth support, memory bump from 4GB to 6GB or 8GB LPDDR4X and slap a new color on the system like white, and it could be formidable.

Now if Microsoft really wanted to make things interesting, they would put XCloud on the Switch in a year or two.

They really could claim 4K with DLSS. New SoC could be the 12nm Tegra.

A larger 1080p screen vía bezel-less design , WiFi 6, full Bluetooth support, memory bump from 4GB to 6GB or 8GB LPDDR4X and slap a new color on the system like white, and it could be formidable.

Now if Microsoft really wanted to make things interesting, they would put XCloud on the Switch in a year or two.
MS would put Xcloud on the Switch right now if they could but Nintendo is probably the one not letting it happen legally. But a Hack Switch can run Xcloud right now via Android.

Last edited:
Had a chat with my dev mate. It doesn’t support DLSS in any fashion apparently. Sounds like what they’ve essentially built is a Premium console which has larger 1080p screen, more storage space with a new much faster CPU and the same GPU but running at faster clocks. There doesn’t seem to be any more than the same 4GB’s of RAM found in the current Switch.

Casuals will desire it for the better screen and larger memory while more core players will see it as the much anticipated arrival of the Switch “Pro” with its much faster CPU and moderately faster GPU. Games will run at much smoother framerates and dynamic resolution games will hit 720p in handheld and 1080p in docked mode much more often. The 4k being rumoured is for the UI only as far as I know.

This sound to me like the “New 3DS” without the exclusives but it will do for me until the next generation Switch arrives in 2023.

DLSS 2.0 support will have to wait for the next chipset, created from the ground up by Nintendo and Nvidia for Switch 2.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Had a chat with my dev mate. It doesn’t support DLSS in any fashion apparently. Sounds like what they’ve essentially built is a Premium console which has larger 1080p screen, more storage space with a new much faster CPU and the same GPU but running at faster clocks. There doesn’t seem to be any more than the same 4GB’s of RAM found in the current Switch.

Casuals will desire it for the better screen and larger memory while more core players will see it as the much anticipated arrival of the Switch “Pro” with its much faster CPU and moderately faster GPU. Games will run at much smoother framerates and dynamic resolution games will hit 720p in handheld and 1080p in docked mode much more often. The 4k being rumoured is for the UI only as far as I know.

This sound to me like the “New 3DS” without the exclusives but it will do for me until the next generation Switch arrives in 2023.

DLSS 2.0 support will have to wait for the next chipset, created from the ground up by Nintendo and Nvidia for Switch 2.

Yeah I'm gonna have to ask for some receipts/get verified from a MOD here before I believe any of this.

McRazzle

Nintendo didn't show off the Switch to 3rd party developers until E3 2016. I don't see Nintendo giving a new console to outside developers that has significantly more power,new architecture,and new gimmicks, until after SONY and Microsoft release their new consoles; Nintendo is way too paranoid that somebody would "steal our ideas".

I don't doubt that there is a new small revision coming for the Switch and Switch Lite next year, but an IGZO display is a bit much for a small revision and it wouldn't explain their massive R&D spending.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

Why would Nintendo hand out dev kits of a reiteration of their current console to any developers? It makes no sense, especially if what you wrote was true. They didn’t hand out new dev kits for the Switch Lite.

Before you believe everything people tell you, think it through.

martino

it will undoubtedly happen at some point.
new revision need enough tensor core for dlss magic.
instant trade with my current one if that happen

Why would Nintendo hand out dev kits of a reiteration of their current console to any developers? It makes no sense, especially if what you wrote was true. They didn’t hand out new dev kits for the Switch Lite.

Before you believe everything people tell you, think it through.

Not kits, UE4 dev profiles.

Nintendo Switch 4K: the firm is already asking developers for 4K Ready games

ultrazilla

Gold Member
So what are realistic specs for a Switch Pro, Nintendo NeoGAF/Tech Heads?

I think it *has* to retain portability.

That said, I'd love to see the oft rumored "Sharp IGZO" 1080p screen, say 5 inches high, 10 inches long.

The case: magnesium aluminum alloy. Would help with heat dissipation

Blue Tooth support.

Memory: 6 gig minimum, 8 gig preferably.

All game target specs/performance: 2560x1440p 60fps/30fps for docked using DLSS 2.0 to upscale to 4k resolution
Hand held: 1080p 60fps

Could we get a system like this for $399(I do think this "Pro" or Switch 2 will cost more)?

nintendo-switch-first-time-use-trailer_g9r6.png

Top Bottom