• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More PS5 Game Reveals Are Coming, Says PlayStation Boss

mcjmetroid

It's all well and good showing off what console games are coming out in 1-5 years. Their next conference should focus on the launch games WITH GAMEPLAY footage.

From the conference I couldn't even guess what would be at launch first party wise.

DeeDogg_

Banned
After all the concern trolling on gaf, I'm actually surprised that R&C was running at native 4K at that graphical fidelity, so much dynamic stuff going on and the world shifting.

Next-gen is going to awesome.
Cant lie, Ratchet looked very good and the particle effects look great too but I wanna see something more demanding. Even the draw distance in Horizon 2 didnt look that impressive in the trailer. That or they used way too much DoF

Raonak

Banned
I thought it was a great decision by sony to do multiple mixed (AAA + indie) showcases
instead of separate Indie and AAA showcases as MS.

Good to see Sony embrace Indies and not make them feel like tolken games. Really gave me a midgen PS4 feel.

TheAssist

Fuck variety. If that’s their definition of variety, then fuck em too. They had no place being at that showcase especially after fans craving for months for next gen goodness. Nothing they showed blowed my mind but I guess that can also be blamed on diminishing returns.
Guess we have to wait another 2 years to truly get a real next gen game

You have to accept that a console and therefore a console reveal does not need to cater to your specific needs.
The audience for a console is much bigger than just you. People with different tastes and sensibilities exist and MS, Nintendo and Sony are completely right to show a wide range of games their console has to offer.
That means showing of kid friendly games (and sorry, but an 8 year old doesnt give a shit about raytracing at native 4K, 60 FPS), so parents can go "Oh I can play that with my that small thing thats living in my house" all the while they still showed games like Horizon and Demons Souls for us jaded old gamers.

I personally loved some of the indy games being shown, like little devil inside, Stray and Kena. Sure not every game hit with me, but thats fine, because looking online, there are people who thought that these games looked interesting to THEM. And sorry, but games are not JUST about graphics. I think it was more important to show a wide range of games with different gameplay, different aesthetics, for different people, than just show the big AAA graphic powerhouses. Yes a bit more Horizon would have been nice, though it might just be that covid fucked them over or that the gameplay reveal is meant to come later to counter whatever MS shows later next months, or it simply wasnt ready yet.

Personally I think it was enough that they showed some games that were able to give a hint at the power of the console which made the transitional leap obvious (yeah I know some people are not impressed, but you have to wonder what people are expecting in their heads, I mean seeing Horizon II and being like "yeah no, that looks shit" is weird statement, but alright). Most games simply looked visually appealing, while not technically impressive, which imho is important too.

I'm just always a bit confused, because after watching the stream I was legitimately thinking that this has been the best console reveal I have ever witnessed. I even watched a whole bunch of the older ones including PS4/3, Xbox One/360. And those werent even nearly as impressive because the games being shown looked somewhat boring and generic at best. Also there were only very few games to begin with and a lot of unnecessary fluff talk.

I'm looking forward to what MS has to show. I'm not really a fan of their exclusives right now (meaning Halo, Gears, Forza, Sea of Thieves), but maybe they can convince me (to buy their games on PC).

I think this could be the best next gen transition we have ever had for both consoles, so just be a bit more positive. Things havent been better in the past.

Hmmm, well they've pretty much unveiled a game by every 1st party studio they own other than SSM. ND and SP are realeasing 2 games that have been in development for several years in the next 20 days. Do not expect anything else from them for a long time.

So I guess more 3rd party exclusives/timed exclusives? Kind of seems like they're blowing their entire load too soon.

Last edited:

ToadMan

at 1440p 30fps.

And techdemos arent representative of full fledged games....cant believe I just had to say that

Well Hellblade was 24fps and “60%” of 4k/30 performance and a trailer not representative of a full game. Hypocritical much?

So what you want to measure next?

I mean, you know what MS will show in July right. Halo as a "launch window" game. That's gonna be it.

The rest will be trailers for games due in 2023+. If you're hoping MS show something more than Sony, you're crazy. What Sony showed is what these consoles are capable of - MS's even showed that at their last event and those games were only "representative"....

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
I'll say it then. Only next gen we've seen is Hellblade 2.
Should i spin it like all the others that scream gameplay???
Horizon 2 does not count no gameplay. Unreal 5 demo does not count cuz no gameplay.

But hb2 that was a 25fps video not even 30fps check digital foundry is above all?

Nah. Lets not go there.

But i do believe hb2 will look like that

ToadMan

Hmmm, well they've pretty much unveiled a game by every 1st party studio they own other than SSM. ND and SP are realeasing 2 games that have been in development for several years in the next 20 days. Do not expect anything else from them for a long time.

So I guess more 3rd party exclusives/timed exclusives? Kind of seems like they're blowing their entire load too soon.

TLOU2 and GOT will be PS5 games - at launch I'd imagine.

When Sony reveal their price, they'll announce some other stuff then to up the value proposition. That will also be after MS have revealed only Halo as a launch window game.

Sony have basically pushed MS to "go next" and show Halo plus a bunch of 3 year away games so they can erase that with price and more content for PS5.

DeeDogg_

Banned
Well Hellblade was 24fps and 1080p and a trailer not representative of a full game. Hypocritical much?

So what you want to measure next?

I mean, you know what MS will show in July right. Halo as a "launch window" game. That's gonna be it.

The rest will trailers for games due in 2023+. If you're hoping MS show something more than Sony, you're crazy. What Sony showed is what these consoles are capable of - MS's even showed that at their last event and those games were only "representative"....
I never claimed it to be unlike the person I quoted. I said HOPEFULLY NinjaTheory can pull off those visuals for the final product

TLOU2 and GOT will be PS5 games - at launch I'd imagine.

When Sony reveal their price, they'll announce some other stuff then to up the value proposition. That will also be after MS have revealed only Halo as a launch window game.

Sony have basically pushed MS to "go next" and show Halo plus a bunch of 3 year away games so they can erase that with price and more content for PS5.

There's Halo Infinite, which will be the biggest exclusive launch title for either platform.
We know there will be a Turn 10 mainline Forza at launch or soon after.
We know Gears Tactics will release enhanced for XSX.

I think that's good enough right there for launch exclusives considering launch consoles will be limited in supply anyways.

I think MS needs to say "here's what our 1st party are working on for the future and show gameplay of Hellblade 2, Playgrounds new Fable(which no doubt will blow minds)The Initiatives rumored Perfect Darks,Obsidian's new Skyrim like AAA RPG etc,,

We'll see i guess.

silent head

at 1440p 30fps.

And techdemos arent representative of full fledged games....cant believe I just had to say that
The raw specs of the trailer file itself are intriguing. If you look at the metadata of the video - it is mastered at just 24 frames per second and the actual resolution of the rendered frame between the cinematic black bars is 3840x1608: so a little more than 74 per cent of a 'real' 4K in spatial resolution and at 80 per cent of 30fps. All together, that is 60 per cent of the amount of pixels pushed per second compared to 4K30

Aidah

Hellblade 2 had an even lower framerate and roughly the same resolution.
To me it was a playable tech demo running and captured on an actual PS5 vs a cinematic trailer running and captured on who knows what.

Personally, no doubt the playable tech demo was a lot more meaningful.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Does he mean other new exclusive PS5 games for launch or just in the lifespan of the PS5, because that last part is obvious

sendit

at 1440p 30fps.

Can you clarify if the HellBlade 2 trailer is representative of what the full fledged game will look like?

Reference: https://wccftech.com/hellblade-ii-in-engine-not-real-time/

"It should also be mentioned that trailer is only running at 3840x1608 rather than true 4K due to the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, and mastered at 24fps. "

DeeDogg_

Banned
Can you clarify if the HellBlade 2 trailer is representative of what the full fledged game will look like?

Reference: https://wccftech.com/hellblade-ii-in-engine-not-real-time/

"It should also be mentioned that trailer is only running at 3840x1608 rather than true 4K due to the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, and mastered at 24fps. "
read my post above where I clarified. Even if the trailer is an early in engine one, comparing it to a techdemo is disingenuous

The raw specs of the trailer file itself are intriguing. If you look at the metadata of the video - it is mastered at just 24 frames per second and the actual resolution of the rendered frame between the cinematic black bars is 3840x1608: so a little more than 74 per cent of a 'real' 4K in spatial resolution and at 80 per cent of 30fps. All together, that is 60 per cent of the amount of pixels pushed per second compared to 4K30

Hellblade 2 is probably 2 years away. It's using UE5 from one of the most talented studios in the world with the most powerful next console. It's going to be a spectacle of a game. Hopefully we'll see in game footage in July.

sendit

read my post above where I clarified. Even if the trailer is an early in engine one, comparing it to a techdemo is disingenuous

I read it before I replied. Which doesn't answer my question to you. While claiming it is (Hellblade 2 reveal trailer) in-engine is technically/factually accurate. It hardly tells the whole story since the trailer was remastered to run at 24 FPS hiding what the actual performance level is at the fidelity.

To answer my own quesntion to you. They're both tech demos. The difference between the two was the UE5 demo is interactive, playable, and running on PS5 hardware. Hellblade 2 trailer is a non-interactive in-engine video.

Last edited:

ToadMan

There's Halo Infinite, which will be the biggest exclusive launch title for either platform.
We know there will be a Turn 10 mainline Forza at launch or soon after.
We know Gears Tactics will release enhanced for XSX.

I think that's good enough right there for launch exclusives considering launch consoles will be limited in supply anyways.

I think MS needs to say "here's what our 1st party are working on for the future and show gameplay of Hellblade 2, Playgrounds new Fable(which no doubt will blow minds)The Initiatives rumored Perfect Darks,Obsidian's new Skyrim like AAA RPG etc,,

We'll see i guess.

According to MS, only Halo has the possibility of being a launch game - personally I think they won’t make it unless they compromise quality but let’s see.

And that won’t stand up to TLOU2. I don’t think it stands up to GoT either but we haven’t seen enough of that to say.

Sony will easily have a better PS5 launch lineup of games comparing like for like.

Halo will sell on Xsex because it’s all there is....

Last edited:

ToadMan

Im happy with the visuals and hope Ninja Theory can pull through to make it look as good for thw final game..again

Well if you’re happy worh sub 30fps, then you’d be ecstatic with what Sony showed - better performance, running on the actual hardware and available before 2023.

So why the salt in this thread?

Last edited:

sendit

You realise Hellblade 2 didn’t even feature gameplay unlike the Unreal 5 demo right?

I don't think he does. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

My personal take. I think Hellblade 2 will look amazing given the increased funding from Microsoft + more power to utilize with the base being the XSX.

DeeDogg_

Banned
Well if you’re happy worh sub 30fps, then you’d be ecstatic with what Sony showed - better performance, running on the actual hardware and available before 2023.

So why the salt in this thread?
The salt must be emitting from you since you’re assuming the game won’t be out until 2023 and for assuming the game won’t be a solid 30fps with more graphical power than PS5

According to MS, only Halo has the possibility of being a launch game - personally I think they won’t make it unless they compromise quality but let’s see.

And that won’t stand up to TLOU2. I don’t think it stands up to GoT either b it we haven’t seen enough of that to say.

Sony will easily have a better PS5 launch lineup of games comparing like for like.

Halo will sell on Xsex because it’s all there is....

Phil said he couldn't say for 100% certainty that it would launch this holiday. We just have to wait and see.
Why does it have to stand up to TLOU2? Halo Infinte is a holiday launch title. TLOU2 is launching in a week.
Did you just ignore Forza Motorsport 8 and Gears Tactics(which has not released on Xbox yet)? And we have not even seen the July event to know what else MS has cooking up.

I think XSX is in great shape and certaintly significantly better than the 2013 XB1 launch were it was 50% weaker and hundred bucks more.

So to summarize.
1. XSX most powerful(resolutiongate no more)
2. The biggest launch exclusive for any platform (Halo Infinite) a reboot that on a new slip engine
3. Price factor. Will it launch same price at PS5? Lower? Up in the air
4.Lockhart. Will MS finally unveil Lockhart soon. Will it launch alongside XSX/PS5?

Interesting times

martino

i would take proper presentation of exclusive coming (end 2020 mid 2021) than more thing in the future

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
It's a no brainer they will, they still have to do a teardown of the console, show OS features etc....And of course state the launch lineup......There is still much more I think they will reveal in the coming months. They still have to do a presentation on BC, I guess they will do that when they do the OS....

Yep, still loads to show and explain.
All of that will easily take up another 60+ mins unless they do it in dribs and drabs over the coming months.

ToadMan

Phil said he couldn't say for 100% certainty that it would launch this holiday. We just have to wait and see.
Why does it have to stand up to TLOU2? Halo Infinte is a holiday launch title. TLOU2 is launching in a week.
Did you just ignore Forza Motorsport 8 and Gears Tactics(which has not released on Xbox yet)? And we have not even seen the July event to know what else MS has cooking up.

I think XSX is in great shape and certaintly significantly better than the 2013 XB1 launch were it was 50% weaker and hundred bucks more.

So to summarize.
2. The biggest launch exclusive for any platform (Halo Infinite) a reboot that on a new slip engine
4.Lockhart. Will MS finally unveil Lockhart soon. Will it launch alongside XSX/PS5?

Interesting times

Halo is cross gen. So are gears and forza.

If you want to compare cross gen games then TLoU and GOT qualify. That’s the competition - the difference is we already know TLOU is a smash hit - Halo, Forza, Gears are all games that have been stuck in bland land for a while now.

As for launch - MS said “it’s goal” is to deliver halo at Xsex launch. They didn’t mention anything else. I think Halo won’t make it too unless it’s gimped to get something out. If they do that, Halo will be dead.

So I anticipate Xsex launches with maybe one 1st party cross gen game but probably none.

PS5 launches with easily better cross gen games -TLoU 2 will probably be the game of 2 gens - and some actual 1st party exclusives.

Xsex won’t sell when people can just play halo on xb1. 343 doesn’t have the credibility - they’re not Bungie and they’re certainly not ND.

The salt must be emitting from you since you’re assuming the game won’t be out until 2023 and for assuming the game won’t be a solid 30fps with more graphical power than PS5
This is true. Imagine HB2 on PS5. It would be at lower resolution
Halo is cross gen. So are gears and forza.

If you want to compare cross gen games then TLoU and GOT qualify. That’s the competition - the difference is we already know TLOU is a smash hit - Halo, Forza, Gears are all games that have been stuck in bland land for a while now.

As for launch - MS said “it’s goal” is to deliver halo at Xsex launch. They didn’t mention anything else. I think Halo won’t make it too unless it’s gimped to get something out. If they do that, Halo will be dead.

So I anticipate Xsex launches with maybe one 1st party cross gen game but probably none.

PS5 launches with easily better cross gen games -TLoU 2 will probably be the game of 2 gens - and some actual 1st party exclusives.

Xsex won’t sell when people can just play halo on xb1. 343 doesn’t have the credibility - they’re not Bungie and they’re certainly not ND.

Look at Forza Horizon 2. Was a 360 game and XB1 game. It looked like a brand new game on the XB1. It was developed by two different teams. Judging by last years E3 trailer that shows a tad of in game footage of Halo Infinite absolutely looked next gen. It will be optimized to take advantage of XSX. It will look amazing. I have no doubt. Same with FM8.

What PS5 1st party launch exclusives does sony have? Ratchet and a Spiderman expansion (probably cross gen according to DF) Thats not enough in my book for MS to worry.

We should wait until the July event to see who's right in terms of how good Halo Infinite will look on XSX, FM8 etc..
Many XB1 gamers will buy XSX just to play the superior Halo Infinite version that will no doubt have higher resolution,framerate, ray tracing,and other added graphical effects.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

So to summarize.

Interesting times
Everything up until the summary read as a thought out post ( and yes, XSX is a lot better positioned than Xbox One was... albeit Xbox One has being the successor of Xbox 360 on its side which gave it an initial credibility boost) then descends into marketing PR like bullet points:
  • We go from a detailed “X1 being labelled clearly as 50% weaker and more expensive” —> “XSX is the most powerful console” (by 18% on the GPU side and much less on the CPU one, detail on the right omitted to make it look better?)
  • Halo Infinite: biggest exclusive ever on Slipspace Engine —> biggest exclusive based on what? What does name dropping the engine even mean to say here? This feels like something younger from a pre-written PR sheet

ToadMan

Again hypocrite much? You’ve been questioning what Sony showed making all kinds of claims - I showed you your hypocrisy and now I’m salty? Hehe.

The hellblade demo was running on pc in an engine which NT is now not using for it.

That game is years away. If it’s not years away, it will Instead be trash because they’ll have rushed it.

Sony showed actual gameplay of games available in the next 12 months running on PS5.

It’s fine to be angry with how things are but save your irritation for MS - they’re the ones not giving you the ammunition you need to have a valid point in this thread.

MS have sent you into a gunfight with a spork lol

ToadMan

This is true. Imagine HB2 on PS5. It would be at lower resolution

Look at Forza Horizon 2. Was a 360 game and XB1 game. It looked like a brand new game on the XB1. It was developed by two different teams. Judging by last years E3 trailer that shows a tad of in game footage of Halo Infinite absolutely looked next gen. It will be optimized to take advantage of XSX. It will look amazing. I have no doubt. Same with FM8.

What PS5 1st party launch exclusives does sony have? Ratchet and a Spiderman expansion (probably cross gen according to DF) Thats not enough in my book for MS to worry.

We should wait until the July event to see who's right in terms of how good Halo Infinite will look on XSX, FM8 etc..
Many XB1 gamers will buy XSX just to play the superior Halo Infinite version that will no doubt have higher resolution,framerate, ray tracing,and other added graphical effects.

Again, you’re not comparing like for like.

If you want to talk about 1st party next gen exclusives. MS has zero.

If you want to talk about Xsex cross gen, then Sony has more and better cross gen right now.

A “normal” xb1 only gamer tries to decide how to spend their money this Christmas...

Come launch period - they could buy an Xsex to play halo. A game they can play on their xb1 or PC.

Or PS5 and play TLOU2, GOT, Spider-Man not to mention the 3rd party launch titles Sony has.

See the problem? Buying a PS5 gets access to new stuff - buying an Xsex gets access to stuff available elsewhere.

Oh and there’s no secret second team working on Halo. If I were an MS developer I wouldn’t want anything to do with it under 343 - MS have a habit of shutting down studios that don’t perform.

Comparing simulated PC footage to realtime PS5 captured footage seems a bit disingenuous.
I don't know why you wouldn't expect the more powerful next gen console to not be capable of doing that trailer?

Do you not think XSX is capable of running Halo Infinite on par with that trailer? XSX will have a more capable SSD vs PC as well.

But Halo Infinite is cross gen right, so according to some, it can't look that good on PC either! Am I right?

Eliciel

I thought it was a great decision by sony to do multiple mixed (AAA + indie) showcases
instead of separate Indie and AAA showcases as MS.

Good to see Sony embrace Indies and not make them feel like tolken games. Really gave me a midgen PS4 feel.
It's all a matter of taste ladies and gents, so don't kill US but I agree with Raonak in that regard. I like this showcase style.

Shoulder to shoulder and watching these Kickstarter/Startup/Indie Studios delivering quality is just great, maybe now more than ever and maybe the new approach will make the distance in quality as Close as AAA has become to a Pixar Movie...

Personally I don't like separating that. At the end of the day Games don't need to be separated.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
yup a tech demo that we'll never ever play and that will never be a full game. I rest my case
The tech demo is playable, they played it during the showcase, and they'll make it available to download and play.

It just won't be more than just that demo.

Edit:

Last edited:
Again, you’re not comparing like for like.

If you want to talk about 1st party next gen exclusives. MS has zero.

If you want to talk about Xsex cross gen, then Sony has more and better cross gen right now.

A “normal” xb1 only gamer tries to decide how to spend their money this Christmas...

Come launch period - they could buy an Xsex to play halo. A game they can play on their xb1 or PC.

Or PS5 and play TLOU2, GOT, Spider-Man not to mention the 3rd party launch titles Sony has.

See the problem? Buying a PS5 gets access to new stuff - buying an Xsex gets access to stuff available elsewhere.

Oh and there’s no secret second team working on Halo. If I were an MS developer I wouldn’t want anything to do with it under 343 - MS have a habit of shutting down studios that don’t perform.
1. Console exclusive.
2.Thats subjective. What games are you referring to exactly? And many of those are timed exclusives and are ALSO coming to PC if you want to play that game
3. Again, Many XB1 gamers will buy a XSX just to play the inevitable superior XSX version.
4.TLOU2 comes out in a week. It will be an old game by Holiday. Halo Infinite will be a brand new game thats highly anticipated and been in development for over 5 years.
5. No I don't. As I think Halo Infinite XSX version will be a bigger deal than Rathet or a Spiderman expansion(probably crossgen according to DF)

343 has around 500-600 devs working on Halo Infinite. They have PLENTY of resources to take advantage of XSX.

Last edited:

Ahmady

Banned
Interesting. I hope we can see more gameplay. And I would like to know what kind of games we can expect for launch and launch window.

It was kinda weird to see so many games without even a year attached to it. What does this mean? That the game is so far away, that they can't even say what year the game is going to be released? Or that it is coming next year?

Top Bottom