• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat: National Tournament | Las Vegas, Nevada | May 14 - May 15, 2011

Kimosabae

Banned
Wow. Never really considered certain Special Moves giving access to unbreakable combos. That's a really interesting dynamic, because it gives a player a way to skirt potential combo breakers by the opponent by sacrificing bigger damage for something either completely unbreakable, or difficult to break (in a matter of degrees, depending on the combo).

This game is really good. That emphasis on dynamic decision making due to a single, shared meter makes this game much more competitively interesting than Marvel or SSF4, for me.

Too bad I don't like the gameplay as much as those games but that's probably more due to me not really putting any time into the game yet.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Michaelangelo is so clutch. His corner game is great too, whether he's pinned there or hes caged someone there.

Anyanka

Kimosabae said:
Wow. Never really considered certain Special Moves giving access to unbreakable combos. That's a really interesting dynamic, because it gives a player a way to skirt potential combo breakers by the opponent by sacrificing bigger damage for something either completely unbreakable, or difficult to break (in a matter of degrees, depending on the combo).

Yeah, Kitana is good at that. Half the hits in her juggles are fan tosses anyway. She can actually deal decent damage completely unbreakable if you do like fan lift, air fan, ground fan, ex fans.

Rattles

You spin me right round, baby
right round like a record, baby
Right round round round
You spin me right round, baby
Right round like a record, baby
Right round round round

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Arde5643 said:
I don't think I want to see "high-level" MK9 anymore since it seems it's all about "high-level" spins.

I don't think I want to see "high-level" SF4 anymore since it seems it's all about "high-level" fireballs.

Arde5643 said:
I don't think I want to see "high-level" MK9 anymore since it seems it's all about "high-level" spins.
All fighting games have strong characters and strategies.

And most serious players will use them.

This is kinda the biggest flaw with the genre, it gets stale.

No game can be so well balanced that it won't become dominated with certain stuff. Which gets boring.

Arde5643

~Devil Trigger~ said:
I don't think I want to see "high-level" SF4 anymore since it seems it's all about "high-level" fireballs.
Are you insane? You don't remember Rufus, Boxer, Gief, Viper, Bison, or Fei Long?

If you're talking about AE then it should be "high-level" dive-kicks.

Arde5643

Slamtastic said:
All fighting games have strong characters and strategies.

And most serious players will use them.

This is kinda the biggest flaw with the genre, it gets stale.

No game can be so well balanced that it won't become dominated with certain stuff. Which gets boring.
You expect some counterpicks though - otherwise the game becomes only very few S tier characters with the same gameplay tactic since that's the best tactic.

Khezu

They already said there going to nerf kung laos damage potential, I wonder if they will nerf his spin, or at least make it more punishable. At 6 frames with a huge hit box, its really silly.

Xevren

Khezu said:
They already said there going to nerf kung laos damage potential, I wonder if they will nerf his spin, or at least make it more punishable. At 6 frames with a huge hit box, its really silly.

I wish it had more recovery, for a move that can cause so much damage potential it can be hard to punish with some characters.

Wallach

enzo_gt said:
Why don't people teleport out of bomb trap more often?

EDIT: Oops, double post, my bad.

You can't. The throw puts you in stagger state, so if you don't block out of the stagger you'll eat the two hits and get hit with the bomb anyway.

Top Bottom