• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X is the biggest launch in MK history

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah. The annoying part is that Goro is actually really fun to play as. The game lets you play as him in one tower, just to basically tease you even more to get you to buy it. It's very scummy.

I don;t think of it as a tease, I think of it as a try before you buy. I hope they do it for Jason, Predator, Tanya, and Tremor so people who didn't get the Kombat Pass will know which characters they want to buy.

Praise can be handed out when they fix all the shit that's broken, until then I'll hold my applause for them...

Also, goro/krypt the general paywall of this release is kinda gross.
What's wrong with the option to automatically unlock the krypt? Quick unlocks in these triple A games aren't new and are for people that either have no time at all or don't care to do it the real way. If people have the money to blow then more power to them.

But I agree locking Goro is kinda shit.

Majestad

Banned
I don;t think of it as a tease, I think of it as a try before you buy. I hope they do it for Jason, Predator, Tanya, and Tremor so people who didn't get the Kombat Pass will know which characters they want to buy.

I think NRS said they will do that in one of their MK streams.

KorrZ

Good for them! Really happy to hear it. I haven't picked the game up myself yet, but I intend to pick it up on Friday and have some friends over for some KOMBAT!

MK9 was my favourite fighter in years (I'm not a fighting game player really) and from all accounts this game seems even better.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Try before you buy would be fine if the character wasn't already on the damn disc.

Dude I have a Phenom, a 660ti and 8 gigs of ram, the game run great! 1080 at 60fps, with all settings max, no frame rate problems.

My pc sounds like a plane though, all fans are working overtime.

That's the thing, people have WILDLY different experiences. The game apparently is not very GPU intensive, which is why your 660 holds it well, and also why lowering graphical settings don't do much for performance.

Also, "works great" is subjective. As a fighting game, it either holds perfect 60fps or it is crap. People have been using the Sky Temple stage as a benchmark.

Beepos

I had better connections playing against US people in SF4 than aussie in MK... as an aussie I am sad and bitter. He's hoping a patch can do something.

Miles X

You get the point. He's already in the game day 1. He should be playable in full.

Why should he? Because you say so?

I don't get where this entitlement has come from ... if they made Goro for the sole purpose of marketing and pre orders ect then it is what is it. You're not entitled to it just because it's on the disc.

It's really quite insane. People are willing to give up their standard rights whenever a popular franchise comes around.

Stop, really, please stop.

Kinsei

Banned
It would be free? no complain

I'm really shocked how people are defending a character locked behind a pre-purchase

I'm not defending Goro being a pre-order (I think that's really shitty of them), I am however defending the fact that you can try before you buy.

Ont

I feel like everyone in my life is trying to prevent me from playing this game. I suppose that is a sign of a great game.

I only pre ordrered one day before because the Goro thing pisses me off. I hate supporting that aspect of the business but it's a great game and I still wanted to own it.

Congrats to NR they deserve their success this game is polished as all hell.

Shinjica

I'm not defending Goro being a pre-order (I think that's really shitty of them), I am however defending the fact that you can try before you buy.

You have already have the game, that's the thing that i dont understand. If it was like Killer Instict i'll be ok but is not acceptable when i already own the game at full price.

I dislike the DLC too. Namely the expensiveness of it. I wish new characters were only a couple bucks. That would be a fairer price to me. Of course, I'd prefer if every character were unlockable with the option to buy rather than DLC exclusive.

That said, the game is fantastic and I'm not gonna let the DLC model hurt the experience for me. Hope PC players have their issues fixed ASAP!

Why should he? Because you say so?

I don't get where this entitlement has come from ... if they made Goro for the sole purpose of marketing and pre orders ect then it is what is it. You're not entitled to it just because it's on the disc.

what? no. no.

this isn't a good thing.

Endo Punk

Such snarky remarks in support of bs practices. Clearly they justify being anti consumer. Listen and learn devs. We consumer whores want more microtransactions and shit.

Magwik

Banned
Of course nothing positive is hardly being said in this thread
They made a solid game, glad things are going well for them

Banned
Well deserved. Having a ton of fun learning all the fighters and doing klassic tower that I haven't even done the story mode yet. Enjoying the variations. Now I just need a green ninja suit and mask for my Reptile. Klassic Skin DLC please :)

Of course nothing positive is hardly being said in this thread
They made a solid game, glad things are going well for them

i see plenty of good responses above.

they are finally getting it right with female character models (although sonya has a bad case of standard rpg npc)

their animations are finally getting more fluid (no longer the maniquin movements of previous releases)

art direction has jumped ahead!

new characters look varied and fun (i have my reservations on jackie but that's another topic)

game seems well polished and the new 3 stance mechanic keeps things fresh and interesting.

however, while the game looks and plays great, it shouldn't be used as reason to overlook the shit decisions they made concerning DLC and microtransactions.

Nemesis_

I'm really happy for Boon and his team. Especially when you consider where they were post Armageddon / MKvDC and where they are now. Such a fantastic turnaround artistically and mechanically.

Miles X

what? no. no.

this isn't a good thing.

I didn't say it was a good thing, it's a nothing imo. People always trying to be overly dramatic about this kinda stuff.

It's not even a pre order bonus, it's if you buy the game new.

My friend got his today and the code was inside the sealed case.

Fury451

Banned
Yeah, I really liked that they did that. I won't be buying Goro at the moment, but he was a lot of fun. Seemed really overpowered though, I pretty much crushed every tower level with no effort.

Nothing will ever be as good as Armageddon.
That game is such a step down from deception in almost every single way.
Konquest in D>A
Gameplay in D>A
Chess and puzzle combat>Mortal Kart racing
Normal fatalities>Kreate a fatality

Only thing I liked in Armageddon more was seeing all the old characters again even though the majority were all half assed and just borrowed styles from other characters in the game before.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Yeah, if Goro were available to anyone who purchased a new copy of the game but you had to pay for him if you bought it used (like the Catwoman DLC in Arkham City), I wouldn't have a problem with it. But making one of the most iconic characters in the series a pre-order bonus is pretty gross. I have a pretty big issue with pre-order bonuses in general, but this is a major character being locked behind it, not a costume or something similar, so I have an even bigger problem with it.

This is the why I'm simply going to wait until the Komplete Edition to buy MK X so I won't have to deal with this character Pre Order/DLC shenanigans.

Heard the PC version has a multitude of issues, so...

I wouldn't say multitude. STEAM fucked up the release, yes, but that's been solved. Everyone can downl9ad the game properly and play it now.

However, the ONE issue is that High Voltage did ahat it does best, i.e. a crappy port. The game is very much playable, but it rodes the CPU hard, on a world where people upgrade their GPUs. That results in a bit of stutter, some sound glitches, and overall difficulty of achieving an ideal performance, which, for a fighting game, NEEDS to be 60 fps.

That is pretty much it, though.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
What's anti consumer about locking content already on the disc, and even having said content advertised for you to buy on the character select screen? I wonder. I bought the game new. I should have the full game, but I don't. It's as anti consumer as it gets.

Absolutely ridiculous that people defend this. Evolve got no such treatment, but because MK is a game people actually hyped, cared about and wanted to like it doesn't get the same treatment as Evolve.
I guess I don't see the difference between this and a "$5 off when you preorder" because it's the same thing.

erawsd

Such snarky remarks in support of bs practices. Clearly they justify being anti consumer. Listen and learn devs. We consumer whores want more microtransactions and shit.

Or people can just not buy the DLC and microtransactions if they feel that way and still enjoy the base game while sending that exact same message.

Top Bottom