• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X is the biggest launch in MK history

That game is such a step down from deception in almost every single way.
Konquest in D>A
Gameplay in D>A
Chess and puzzle combat>Mortal Kart racing
Normal fatalities>Kreate a fatality

Only thing I liked in Armageddon more was seeing all the old characters again even though the majority were all half assed and just borrowed styles from other characters in the game before.

That's fair. Deception was really damn good. I guess the main things I miss from Armageddon are the massive roster and kreate a character.

Endo Punk

Or people can just not buy the DLC and microtransactions if they feel that way and still enjoy the base game while sending that exact same message.

While NR does the best it can to patch in less earnings to unlock content to nudge people towards bad purchases and also commit to their game in order to get a a character on the select screen that has been an MK mainstay since the og.

Sephzilla

While NR does the best it can to patch in less earnings to unlock content to nudge people towards bad purchases and also commit to their game in order to get a a character on the select screen that has been an MK mainstay since the og.

Ultimately it still falls on the consumer to make those purchases though. You're getting mad at the wrong people.

Also the patch to reduce koins thing was debunked.

Haha no Takeda is the best newcomer get rid of the borefest that is kung jin

Kung Jin has easily the most generic look out of all the newcomers.

Aesthet1c

I ended up deciding against picking it up, but I'm glad to see it doing well. I've always loved MK, and I want to see it continue. Plus I like to see Ed and the Netherrealm team succeed.

I might pick it up on a sale down the road.

ShadyJ

What's anti consumer about locking content already on the disc, and even having said content advertised for you to buy on the character select screen? I wonder. I bought the game new. I should have the full game, but I don't. It's as anti consumer as it gets.

Absolutely ridiculous that people defend this. Evolve got no such treatment, but because MK is a game people actually hyped, cared about and wanted to like it doesn't get the same treatment as Evolve.

Goro was a download

Endo Punk

Ultimately it still falls on the consumer to make those purchases though. You're getting mad at the wrong people.

Kung Jin has easily the most generic look out of all the newcomers.

Just think people who are defending it are insane is all. Should make a big deal so devs don't even think about pushing it harder next time. They did an awesome thing with MK9 and ruined it here.

As for the characters I feel all the combat kids have a case of generic character model face.

Sephzilla

Just think people who are defending it are insane is all.

As for the characters I feel all the combat kids have a case of generic character model face.

Meh, if someone really wants to spend 20 dollars to unlock the krypt when they could just do it by playing the game (seriously, you get a ton of koins after story mode is over) or waste money to get easy fatalities so they don't have to do a 5 button fatality input then more power to them - it's their money to foolishly waste. I already have a ton of krypt stuff unlocked and its only been 2 days.

I'm at the point where I'm no longer upset at devs for including stuff like this, I'm mad at gamers who are clearly buying into this and allowing it to kontinue.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Nothing will ever be as good as Armageddon.
Thought this was a joke but man you're actually serious...

Armageddon is not only the worst MK (which is saying something), but one of the worst fighting games I've ever played. The art, characters, gameplay and balance are all embarrassingly bad.

Thought this was a joke but man you're actually serious...

Armageddon is not only the worst MK (which is saying something), but one of the worst fighting games I've ever played. The art, characters, gameplay and balance are all embarrassingly bad.
Read my follow-up post a few posts up ^

But anyway how is Armageddon worse than 4?

Papacheeks

Banned
Goro was a download

Please tell me your being cute?

Goro is in all the modes. You fight him in story, Tower, and he's usable if you select him for test your might.

He's on the god damn character select screen with a buy button over his fucking Icon.

It's one thing if he was only a boss at the end of the campaign, like MK 9 had. But he's usable in practice mode, if he's "Unlocked". His assets are already in the game code because of the other sections he appears in.

RAIDEN1

Certainly the first 3 games in the MK series are no slouches either...just imagine what they could have done though with the digitized graphics the first 3 were well known for, with the power of "next gen/ps4/xbox-1) For one thing the character models would be a hell of a lot better than they are...in MK: X

Kinsei

Banned

Goro is in all the modes. You fight him in story, Tower, and he's usable if you select him for test your might.

He's on the god damn character select screen with a buy button over his fucking Icon.

It's one thing if he was only a boss at the end of the campaign, like MK 9 had. But he's usable in practice mode, if he's "Unlocked". His assets are already in the game code because of the other sections he appears in.

One slight correction: Goro doesn't appear in the story mode at all.

Interfectum

All character assets have to be in the game so when you are fighting people online they can see it. Every DLC character, whether you buy it or not, will be in your game code at some point.

Legit surprised no one's asking for Jacqueline Briggs to get booted. I think she's the most plain character of Kombat Kidz. Weren't for those gun gauntlets I'd ignore her entirely.

Yea her design is pretty boring I blame it on her boring ass outfits.. she only has 2 and they are both gray military outfits

But I think kung jin is worse like waaaaaay worse.

Its not as funny and cheesy

Jarek.

erawsd

You mean the "Koin nerf" that more prudent and less hysterical people have tested and proven to be bullshit? As far as Goro is concerned.. so what? You know exactly what you are getting for your $60. Take it or leave it.

Interfectum

Jason isn't right? Nor is predator? or are they on the disc too?

If they aren't already they will be put into your game eventually. If you don't buy Jason, but someone else does and you play against that person online, you have to have Jason's assets already on your system.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I wouldn't say multitude. STEAM fucked up the release, yes, but that's been solved. Everyone can downl9ad the game properly and play it now.

It's cool that it's working well for you, but a quick check of the Steam forums will show you that it's still pretty terrible for a lot of people. Personally, I have to force graphical options like AA, AF, and vsync through Nvidia Control Panel to keep it from crashing my computer whenever an x-ray or fatality is performed. I also can't even open the controller options without crashing to desktop, which seems to be effecting a lot of people. It's a bad port. It doesn't mean it's a bad game, but it has some serious issues on PC.

I'm glad it has been successful for them so far. It feels like a huge step up from MK9 gameplay-wise, and the new characters are cool as shit. I haven't played the story mode yet, but I'm anticipating it being great (if a bit short).

If they aren't already they will be put into your game eventually. If you don't buy Jason, but someone else does and you play against that person online, you have to have Jason's assets already on your system.

Not only that but you will get a chance to play as the DLC characters as the Premier Living Tower will sometimes contain the DLC characters for you to play with even if you haven´t bought them.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???

Ah missed that, anywho MK4 is second worst, I give it the nod because gameplay is faster, the art though very bad is still better than Armaggedon and first transition to 3D for most fighters usually sucks hard so maybe some sympathy points.

And yes we wouldn't have Jareks timeless entertainment without MK4.

Nemesis_

If they handle the DLC like they handled the DLC for MK9, they'll put out compatibility packs with costumes for free that will also contain the actual downloadable characters. Buying the character will unlock that.

Endo Punk

You mean the "Koin nerf" that more prudent and less hysterical people have tested and proven to be bullshit? As far as Goro is concerned.. so what? You know exactly what you are getting for your $60. Take it or leave it.

My mistake regarding the koin nerf, that's good to know. Although something tells me if it were the case your answer would have been "so what?"

It's good to know devs could get away with a lot of shit because... so what?

I wanted everything on the disc and character select screen from my $60 but I am clearly in the wrong.

Hey, you guys know if there is any good match videos put up on youtube from anyone in the MK fighting community?

There are mostly scrubs on playstation live and the only youtube vids I see are training room warriors.

It's cool that it's working well for you, but a quick check of the Steam forums will show you that it's still pretty terrible for a lot of people. Personally, I have to force graphical options like AA, AF, and vsync through Nvidia Control Panel to keep it from crashing my computer whenever an x-ray or fatality is performed. I also can't even open the controller options without crashing to desktop, which seems to be effecting a lot of people. It's a bad port. It doesn't mean it's a bad game, but it has some serious issues on PC.

Oh, I was referring to the problems with the Steam launch that had people up in flames. I didn't know about those other issues. Damn.

Sorry for the misinformation.

My mistake regarding the koin nerf, that's good to know. Although something tells me if it were the case your answer would have been "so what?"

It's good to know devs could get away with a lot of shit because... so what?

I wanted everything on the disc and character select screen from my $60 but I am clearly in the wrong.

Really? You're getting 24 characters, each with three variations that actually do affect moveset more than you think, 13 stages including the training room, Arcade, Versus, Story, Living Towers, Test Your Might & Luck, Endless, and Survivor game modes, not to mention the multiplayer modes like King of the Hill and team battles. One character is hardly a knock on the overall package as a whole. The game is loaded with stuff to do.

Kongrats.. Perhaps they can kare enough about the PC version to get HVS or a different studio to patch it properly. Unlike MK9 and Injustice.

Endo Punk

Really? You're getting 24 characters, each with three variations that actually do effect moveset more than you think, 13 stages including the training room, Arcade, Versus, Story, Living Towers, Test Your Might & Luck, Endless, and Survivor game modes, not to mention the multiplayer modes like King of the Hill and team battles. One character is hardly a knock on the overall package as a whole. The game is loaded with stuff to do.

And yet I still don't get everything on the disc.

4 has the excuse of being their first 3D MK game. Armageddon is their 4th 3D MK and only went backwards in terms of all the great progress they made in the previous game. I still remember my disappointment with it as. Kid. I do still have that cool little framed. Picture of the cast I got from pre-ordering. I also can't forgive them for what the hell they did to Motaro.

Is Goro on disc?
Yes.

Top Bottom