• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X koming to mobile too

Manu

Trailer here

Looks like MKX is getting a version for mobile platforms as well.

Graphics kinda look like the Vita version of MK9, so I'm guessing the last gen versions will look slightly better than that. Not bad.

It seems that western publishers have shifted their priorities about handhelds. But still impressive how they managed to get the game working.

Also reminds me of Vita version of MK9, with that weird look for fighters... as if there were no shaders/lighting of them :eek:

@MUWANdo

Banned
Graphics kinda look like the Vita version of MK9, so I'm guessing the last gen versions will look slightly better than that. Not bad.

Uh, MK9 Vita looked like absolute horseshit, so I'd like to think it'll look a little better than that.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Is it even a real attempt at a fighting game, or something similar to the Injustice game or that WWE thing they're doing now?

oti

Banned
Will be the same as Injustice or that WWE game for sure. Nice to look at graphics with screensaver-esque levels of gameplay depth.

Xater

Is it even a real attempt at a fighting game, or something similar to the Injustice game or that WWE thing they're doing now?

This is absolutely going to be the same shit as WWE Immortals. Is an easy template that you can throw anything in.

Pepin

I'd genuinely prefer it if they made the mobile version an old-skool version of the game, rather than try to ape what X is doing too much. Proper 2D sprites of all the new characters and stuff.

Pair it up with the Faction Wars stuff and I'd pay for it, for sure

paulogy

vita.png

Manu

If someone with a better broadband than me could take some screenshots it'd be really appreciated.

Majanew

Banned
So... 6 versions? How many studios are handling the ports? That why current-gen graphics look so rough? Studio spread too thin?

Press release.

PR said:
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment today announced Mortal Kombat X, a free-to-play fighting/card-battler hybrid that delivers the next evolution in mobile fighting games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Android users. Developed by award-winning NetherRealm Studios, the game delivers striking graphics and brings a custom Mortal Kombat fighting gameplay experience anywhere, anytime through the accessibility of mobile devices. Mortal Kombat X will be available April 2015 on iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Android devices.

“NetherRealm Studios has created a Mortal Kombat X mobile experience that allows more players than ever before to play this over-the-top fighting game through their ever-present smartphones, tablets or other devices,” said Ed Boon, Creative Director, NetherRealm Studios. “What’s more, we’ve expanded the unique cross-connectivity feature that links the mobile and console versions of Mortal Kombat X, delivering unique rewards to all players for simply playing the mobile game.”

As the next evolution of mobile fighting games, the Mortal Kombat X mobile game will feature a hybrid of fighting, card collecting, multiplayer team combat and more, featuring shocking Fatalities, legendary Mortal Kombat characters like Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Raiden as well as the Next generation of Kombatants. The Mortal Kombat X mobile game will showcase the iconic visceral combat with the vicious graphics that Mortal Kombat fans love, along with brutal Fatalities, x-rays and more.

Xater

So... 6 versions? How many studios are handling the ports? That why current-gen graphics look so rough? Studio spread too thin?

Current gen doesn't look rough at all. Netherrealm doesn't even handle the last gen versions. Some other studio is trying to make their game work on there.

Press release.

Yep, sounds like another derivative of their Injustice mobile game, so it's going to suck.

Orayn

Pretty sure Netherrealm is only working on PC/PS4/XB1. The last-gen ports are being handled by another studio, and the mobile version is an entirely different game which I'm assuming is being made by Phosphor Game Studio like several other WB mobile games.

Xater

Pretty sure Netherrealm is only working on PC/PS4/XB1. The last-gen ports are being handled by another studio, and the mobile version is an entirely different game which I'm assuming is being made by Phosphor Game Studio like several other WB mobile games.

I wouldn't be shocked if Iron Galaxy was handling the last gen port. Seems like the kind of job they do and they are based in Chicago.

indeed, Vita version of MK9 was ugly for sure but it played beautifully.

And if you play it from a "hands lenght" it can still look good :D
vita_kombat2.jpg

The colour balance is all wrong on the Vita version (this is my experience on a new Vita 2000). If you bump down the contrast 2 or 3 notches and bump up the brightness by 1 the game looks so much better. They just didn't adjust the textures for the fact that theres less lighting passes on the Vita version. It does look good in that picture though, dunno if the original OLED screen produces a different colour balance or if its just that picture.

gogogow

Trailer here

Looks like MKX is getting a version for mobile platforms as well.

It really does not, it looks way better. Of course we don't know the framerate. But the Vita game looked terrible. The Vita can do so much better.

1930947-639757_20120429_002.jpg

Manu

Damn, I didn't remember the Vita version of MK9 looking so rough.

Mobile MKX looks more on par with console MK9 then.

It really does not, it looks way better. Of course we don't know the framerate. But the Vita game looked terrible. The Vita can do so much better.

1930947-639757_20120429_002.jpg

screenshots like this are not really fair for Vita games, you don't see the image this big and plainly like this when you play it.

to be fair to the vita version, it plays perfectly but just looks like ass.

the injustice vita port was much closer to its consoles bros but no one bought that so it never gets mentioned.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Netherrealm contains a dedicated mobile game development studio that's handling this.

They make a lot of mobile games.

Why can't we just get a real fast paced Mortal Kombat with a run mechanic and unique character combo system like MK3, instead of this new stuff? I would be more than happy with a UMK3 remastered.

Phloxy

Why can't we just get a real fast paced Mortal Kombat with a run mechanic and unique character combo system like MK3, instead of this new stuff? I would be more than happy with a UMK3 remastered.

Ummm, have you seen gameplay footage of this at all?

Top Bottom