• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X listed on Amazon UK (PC/XB1/PS4/360/PS3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I hope that cross-gen doesn't mean that the current gen versions won't have awesome visuals. Regardless I hope the game is a less janky than MK 9.

I honestly don't think one will be a greatly limiting another or much of a limiting factor at all. The only reason it would be would be due to a total lack of effort. Pretty difficult to imagine gameplay mechanics or scope within such a fighting that last gen wouldn't be able to do even if it was next gen only. They could completely alter the visual style and the game could potentially play the same without too much issue since it's pretty much just backgrounds and character models etc.

This seems more of a symbolic annoyance than anything since I really don't see what being nextgen only would meaningfully add only the developer just did a straight port of the last gen version.

mcz117chief

Are you guys insane ? Just because it is cross gen doesn't mean a damn thing. They will obviously focus on current gen and then downgrade it for last gen consoles. There is nothing to worry about at all.

mcz117chief

wtf? The consoles came out in November, did you expect cross gen to die in those 2 months before 2015?

especially considering that cross gen games ended last year (Fifa 2013 was the last PS2 game) so that means we can expect cross gen games (ps360) for 5 years atleast

edit: Meant Fifa 2014, my mistake

I doubted this would be next-gen only, frankly it would be dumb not to have it. install base of 100 million vs. around 10 million? Next gen will look awesome regardless, you can't count injustice because it was ported up by other studios. This won't dissapoint.

10m with attach rate of 4 > 100m with attach rate of 0.2

I'm glad this isn't until 2015, personally. I'll have my hands full with Smash and GGXrd for a while. Still, I'm interested to see what improvements they've made as someone who wasn't a big fan of 9.

Shantom

especially considering that cross gen games ended last year (Fifa 2013 was the last PS2 game) so that means we can expect cross gen games (ps360) for 5 years atleast
Fifa 14 was on ps2 as well. It's hardly the same thing though, Fifa is on different engines for different gens, so they don't affect each other.

10m with attach rate of 4 > 100m with attach rate of 0.2

So by going by those ratios, it would still be a worthwhile endeavor to support last gen consoles. 100m with an attach rate of 0.2 is still decent numbers of units that could be sold.It would be more profitable than putting the game on the Wii-U.

Also, I don't believe that a PC version exists.

Mortal Kombat on Steam was a big seller for them, it's not hard to believe that they would fast track the PC version this time around as it has been proven to be a profitable platform for the series.

Silky

Banned
lol you people seriously expecting a fighting game to be current gen only this early.

The audience they are selling this game to--fighting game players--still own 360s and PS3s. They can't single out that playerbase yet. It's way too early. Why do you think Guilty Gear Xrd will be on PS3--and be the version that more people buy overall?

This isn't rocket science.

And at 720p, a fat lot of good that did. MK9 and Injustice on the PC look better.

If you say so.

vg260

Considering MK and Injustice were ported to the Vita with gameplay intact, I'm not worried as long as current gen is used as the base.

MK3U ninja costumes please!!!!

PSvita had them, I need them for all my ninjas! Only maskless subzero had it in 9.

+1. hate the overdone ninja outfits with each installment. I am assuming scorpion wont be able to move this time due to all the armor he'll be wearing. not to mention bird man reptile and the fact that rain looks like a gay shinobi. ermac looks like something from an Aladdin game. just horrible.

less is more.

Is Mortal Kombat, as a brand, strong enough to force current owners of that game to ditch their current consoles and buy either PS4 or Xbox One ALONG with a copy of the next installment?

If yes: Current-gen only.
If no: Cross-gen.

The answer is no. It's not that strong a brand. So it needs to go out on as many platforms as possible to ensure maximized profit.

ItIsOkBro

Is Mortal Kombat, as a brand, strong enough to force current owners of that game to ditch their current consoles and buy either PS4 or Xbox One ALONG with a copy of the next installment?

The answer is no. It's not that strong a brand. So it needs to go out on as many platforms as possible to ensure maximized profit.

It is a strong enough force.

Silky

Banned
Is Mortal Kombat, as a brand, strong enough to force current owners of that game to ditch their current consoles and buy either PS4 or Xbox One ALONG with a copy of their new game?

What are you talking about? MK did nearly 3 million within 4 months it's release. On PS3/360. PC version performed way above expectations.

If you think MK's brand strength is questionable, then that's...hilarious.

Brand name has nothing to do with a game being on a specific console.

What are you talking about? MK did nearly 3 million within 4 months it's release. On PS3/360. PC version performed way above expectations.

If you think MK's brand strength is questionable, then that's...hilarious.

I don't think it's strong enough to expect the majority of people who have bought it to make current-gen only a financial viability.

Obviously, neither does Warner Bros.

That's absolutely NOT the same as saying it's not a strong brand, period. That's why I used the qualifier "ENOUGH" in the original post.

It's one thing to sell 3 million copies. That's a bonafide success. Motherfuckers LOVE Mortal Kombat, no doubt. It's another to expect that Mortal Kombat is THAT important to those 3 million people that the announcement of a new game will push people into buying a new console. I don't believe it's on that level. So it'll have to wait until more people have upgraded their consoles over time before it can cut out previous generations - and hell, even then, they might not WANT to, considering how big the userbase is on those older consoles.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
PC

ku-xlarge.jpg

cross-gen

Reaction%252520Guys%252520-%252520Something%252520Lame%252520and%252520Disappointing%25255B4%25255D.jpg

Silky

Banned
I don't think it's strong enough to expect the majority of people who have bought it to make current-gen only a financial viability.

Obviously, neither does Warner Bros.

It's too early to put these games on current gen only because the primary audience NetherRealm is selling the game to--the competitive audience--hasn't made the jump to current gen yet. Has nothing to do with brand strength.

EDIT:

It's one thing to sell 3 million copies. That's a bonafide success. Motherfuckers LOVE Mortal Kombat, no doubt. It's another to expect that Mortal Kombat is THAT important to those 3 million people that the announcement of a new game will push people into buying a new console. I don't believe it's on that level. So it'll have to wait until more people have upgraded their consoles over time before it can cut out previous generations - and hell, even then, they might not WANT to, considering how big the userbase is on those older consoles.

Alright, I can agree with that.

No, the PC bullshot thread says so. It would look just as good on the PC, but KI on the One doesn't look good enough to make up for the massive image quality deficit.

If it wasn't a shitty port with a plethora of problems, then yes I can agree with the visual quality of Mortal Kombat PC. To this day, I can't get the damn thing to run on my PC.

It's too early to put these games on current gen only because the primary audience NetherRealm is selling the game to--the competitive audience--hasn't made the jump to current gen yet. Has nothing to do with brand strength.

Yeah it does. If they thought Mortal Kombat was a strong enough pull to force the primary audience to upgrade in order to play it, they'd have made it current-gen only.

That's essentially the point I'm making.

It's big, and it's splashy, and it's fun, and it's got serious presence of mind not just for people who play games, but people in general - but it's not so strong that you can expect people to ditch their old consoles to play a new one.

I guess I should clarify - I'm not shitting on the game, or the series. I'm just saying there's no world we currently live in where current-gen only makes any sort of financial sense for Warner Bros. It's weird to have expected it, ESPECIALLY with this title.

Cross gen Games goes both ways.

Yes we have had up ports from last gen development but at some point last gen will start getting ports of games made for this gen. So i do not think you guys should write of any games until you see them.

But then again I do think a lot of the louder posters have way too high of expectations for next gen consoles.

Yep PS2/XB/GCN got a lot of downgrades of then-current gen PS3/360 games.

i really hope they go back to their roots on stage tracks. i like that old japan meets nightmare on elm street kind of music they used to have that always made you feel a little uncomfortable but sucked in. i dont need the shit they played in the MK movies. MK has lost its unsettling edge over time. each installment is less gripping than the previous.

dont get me wrong, MK9 was a step in the right direction on a technical basis, but they need someone else doing the art direction and fatalities. not to mention the score.

So by going by those ratios, it would still be a worthwhile endeavor to support last gen consoles. 100m with an attach rate of 0.2 is still decent numbers of units that could be sold.It would be more profitable than putting the game on the Wii-U.

Mortal Kombat on Steam was a big seller for them, it's not hard to believe that they would fast track the PC version this time around as it has been proven to be a profitable platform for the series.

All about the price, really. If PS4/Xone sells at, say, an average price of $48 or so over the first two years, while PS3,X360 will sell at a lower average price of $37... Then fewer units of the new stuff is better than more units with the old.

South America and parts of Europe will still have the old Gen be the best selling platforms next year, so there will definitely be demand, it just isn't a clear answer either way.

PC is a no brainer and will almost certainly be day 1.

Tusk

Glad this'll be on PS3, gives me a chance to play it.
If it ends up being real. Which seems likely

Compbros

If the main team works on the current gen only and they have an outside team port it to previous gen then what's the difference if it was just the main team working on the current gen? Potentially main team/development hindered by a need not to be TOO outlandish so the game can fit/work on previous gen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom