• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X on PC (500,000 SOLD) not getting Kombat Pack 2 or XL version

No, ports that are not handled by the devs themselves (Mordor, Mad Max) get always outsourced to some cheap studios like HVS and end up being horrible.

MK9 and Injustice had that problem too but they launched as the complete editions at a reduced price. Arkham City and Asylum also had issues iirc but nothing like the clusterfuck that Arkham Knight was

This is far from the case. It was with WB because they chose poorly but don't belittle the work of excellent port houses like QLOC and Nixxes.

Dremark

Banned
Is WB trying to win some award for crappy PC versions of games?

Honestly with what they've put out over the past year they must be a top contender.

Psyren

Ludens

Banned
So what if it's on sale. PC users are never going to have access to all of the content.

This whole situation is pretty much the same as DOA5 on PC. KT released a shoddy as hell port that's missing a lot of features, they don't bother to fix it properly, and then they wonder why no one wants to buy their game + overpriced DLC, and why the community dies off...

Mortal Kombat X Premium with Half the Contents Edition.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
This is far from the case. It was with WB because they chose poorly but don't belittle the work of excellent port houses like QLOC and Nixxes.

I was referring to port houses like HVS and Iron Galaxy. HVS has an extremely bad track record with ports and Iron Galaxy was way too undermanned to handle projects like Arkham Knight.

Yudoken

ayy

Mordor was their last good one.

Honestly other than Batman Arkham Knight (still better on pc than on console if you have a decent rig) and Mortal Kombat X (local and singleplayer is fine, online seems to be not working) there not that many exceptionally bad pc versions from WB at least I can't remember one.
Dying Light, Shadow of Mordor, Mad Max are fantastic on pc,
It really depends which developer worked on the pc version.
If it's developed internally from the same studio like the console versions than you can expect a good pc version, if it's developed from an external studio separately than it's probably going to be a bad version.

Honestly other than Batman Arkham Knight (still better on pc than on console if you have a decent rig) and Mortal Kombat X (local and singleplayer is fine, online seems to be not working) there not that many exceptionally bad pc versions from WB at least I can't remember one.
Dying Light, Shadow of Mordor, Mad Max are fantastic on pc,
It really depends which developer worked on the pc version.
If it's developed internally from the same studio like the console versions than you can expect a good pc version, if it's developed from an external studio separately than it's probably going to be a bad version.

Yes, outsourcing game ports to companies other than Nixxes, QLOC, and Bluepoint are a recipe for failure. If WB wants to win people back, they need to hire more people for the development studios they own in house to handle the PC versions of the games they release.

The fact that they are letting 500,000 players down by dropping support is not acceptable. PC gamers should be compensated somehow. WB needs to make an official statement about this and I hope people really push them to do it. Just because PC was only 10% of sales doesn't mean that you abandon the playerbase. They are punishing people who have bought the game.

pahamrick

Yes, outsourcing game ports to companies other than Nixxes, QLOC, and Bluepoint are a recipe for failure. If WB wants to win people back, they need to hire more people for the development studios they own in house to handle the PC versions of the games they release.

The fact that they are letting 500,000 players down by dropping support is not acceptable. PC gamers should be compensated somehow. WB needs to make an official statement about this and I hope people really push them to do it. Just because PC was only 10% of sales doesn't mean that you abandon the playerbase. They are punishing people who have bought the game.

You mean like the compensation PC Arkham Knight players got that was basically worthless to the vast majority? WB doesn't care at all.

You mean like the compensation PC Arkham Knight players got that was basically worthless to the vast majority? WB doesn't care at all.

Yeah. I do remember getting Arkham games as an "apology" from them even though I already owned some of them. I know people who owned all of them already weren't pleased at all.

I don't know what they are going to do, but they cannot leave it like this. This is bad PR.

KingBroly

Banned
Yeah. I do remember getting Arkham games as an "apology" from them even though I already owned some of them. I know people who owned all of them already weren't pleased at all.

I don't know what they are going to do, but they cannot leave it like this. This is bad PR.

Sure they can. It's WB. They left Arkham Origins buggy as hell because they wanted that sweet, sweet DLC money.

It's amazing to me that they've managed to have so many slip ups-and many of them are things they can/should fix. I don't understand why they're okay with so much negative pr.

Damn wb did PC players dirty. First Arkham Knight and now this...

Is the MK community in PC even big? I know FGs usually die out/very small community on PC aisde from SF. Maybe they saw there aren't enough people playing on PC so it's not worth it to implement the online netcode update. And they probably won't sell enough copies of kp2 there.

RM8

They're just going to ignore it and not respond until it goes away.
Yup. I'm done with MKX, and I absolutely love the game, I think it's the best game in the series by far :( I'll buy the XL version used, years from now. For now I'll stick to SFV, SSB and KI.

Is the MK community in PC even big? I know FGs usually die out/very small community on PC aisde from SF. Maybe they saw there aren't enough people playing on PC so it's not worth it to implement the online netcode update. And they probably won't sell enough copies of kp2 there.
Online is dead, but that's because it's a piss poor port and the netcode is brutally bad.

Nabs

Around 70k active players in the last 2 weeks, and that's with shitty netcode.

I got excited reading the news about the new netcode actually being legitimately good, and then WB dropped this bombshell.

Not going to buy a new arcade stick or the latest PCB just to play one fighter on PS4, so that's one way on how to be a buzzkill.

Probably not, but that's not because the players aren't there. It's all WB's fault, and they can fix it by patching in the new netcode.
They probably can but then they will have to hire that 3rd party company again (high voltage?). They will have to pay them. So I think WB feels like it's not worth venturing that investment. They feel they will end up losing money. I hope from mkxi and onwards they make NRS do the PC port and not some random company. That way all 3 versions will be on par.

ZeroCDR

I bought this on sale last month and it actually runs really well on my PC almost maxed (AMD Phenom II X6 1100T stock settings, HD 6950), so they must have come a long way with fixing things up. The online ran pretty good too, felt much better than MK9.

I'm really disappointed by this move, was looking forward to getting Tri-borg.

Wow WB are just the bestest publisher, it's been a while since a pub just publicly keeps flipping off PC users like thins. It seems that unless the dev is handling the PC conversion run away from WB on PC, as WB don't seem interested in paying someone to ensure PC is at parity with the console versions.

The game was a mess at launch and I've barely played it. I couldn't get a refund because it didn't buy it on Steam, but this reminds me I need to request it to be removed from my library. WB is the reason I will no longer preorder PC games.

KingBroly

Banned
They probably can but then they will have to hire that 3rd party company again (high voltage?). They will have to pay them. So I think WB feels like it's not worth venturing that investment. They feel they will end up losing money. I hope from mkxi and onwards they make NRS do the PC port and not some random company. That way all 3 versions will be on par.

Well going by what someone said a couple of pages back, a patch for MKX was in the works for Steam but it was halted.

Garlador

Not surprising, coming from them... what did you expect?
The bare minimum.
7b737a129c21011a993db1c6fa19c2cb.jpg

At least Kotaku's covering it now too.

Miletius

It seems like between this and Batman WB doesn't really feel as though PC is a serious platform. That's unfortunate and a money losing prospect in the long run.

This whole experience with MKX on the PC has reinforced some valuable lessons as a consumer:

1. Never preorder a game. Especially a PC port.
2. If you buy the game and it has DLC, wait for the "Complete" edition. If it's impossible due to halted support for the game, spend your money elsewhere.

This whole experience with MKX on the PC has reinforced some valuable lessons as a consumer:

1. Never preorder a game. Especially a PC port.
2. If you buy the game and it has DLC, wait for the "Complete" edition. If it's impossible due to halted support for the game, spend your money elsewhere.

Better yet, we should do that for all games (especially for genres like fighters).

Maybe then, these companies will get the hint & stop the shit with all of these BS practices of theirs & put out a complete, finished product.

Top Bottom