• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Disappointing Games of 2018

Kazza

With most (all?) big releases for the year now out, it might be a good time to reflect on which lived up to expectations, and which disappointed (prompted by this WatchMojo video.

10. Dynasty Warriors 9
9. Jurassic World Evolution
8. Agony
7. We Happy Few
6. Kirby Star Allies
5. Starlink: Battle for Atlas
4. Secret of Mana Remake
3. State of Decay
2. Fallout 76
1. Sea of Thieves

Kazza

The video is getting a lot of hate for including Kirby. More people seemed disappointed by Mario Tennis Aces, so I was surprised not to see that on the list.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Never played this Kirby but ALL Kirby games are easy if you don't go for specific goals and just want to finish so with that thinking all Kirby games were as bad so how did he have expectations to disappoint?

And almost all Kirby games are really well made and most are freaking badass and likely this one is too, I watched footage of the final boss fight(s) the other day and holy shit, best ever, lol!

It never ceases to amaze me how creative they can get within the constraints of a simple 2D platform action game. Crazy talent.

For others who don't think they'll ever play it either:

Last edited:

Klondyke

Banned
Funny thing. Sea of Thieves is not only my goty, but my No 1 of all time favourite. Agree with the rest of the list thou

Kazza

they about to get a whole lotta downvotes for putting a nintendo game.

I thought that maybe Xbox fans might be pissed off by the inclusion on Sea of Thieves at number 1, but it doesn't seem to be the case (judging by the first few youtube comments anyway). Aren't Rare planning to continue supporting Sea of Thieves into 2019? Hopefully it will eventually fulfil peoples' expectations.

Kazza

Never played this Kirby but ALL Kirby games are easy if you don't go for specific goals and just want to finish.

And almost all Kirby games are really well made and most are freaking badass and likely this one is too, I watched footage of the final boss fight(s) the other day and holy shit, best ever, lol!

It never ceases to amaze me how creative they can get within the constraints of a simple 2D platform action game. Crazy talent.

They did say in the video that Kirby is primarily a kids game, so is meant to be easy, but they then claimed that it was being marketed as a game suitable for adults as well, hence the inclusion in the list (plus no multiple paths, as were included in other Kirby games).

The video is getting a lot of hate for including Kirby. More people seemed disappointed by Mario Tennis Aces, so I was surprised not to see that on the list.

its the second lowest rated kirby game according to metacritic. so it seems reasonable that most people were disappointed by it. its just customary that every time someone says a bad thing about a nintendo game the police and FBI hits your door.

Aenima

I can only name games i actually played or bought and got dissapointed by them, so my pick is Ni No Kuni 2. I still enjoyd the game, but was expecting much better after playing the 1st one

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just like I said last thread about this from all the games I played this year:

Dragon Quest XI
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Octopath Traveler
God of War
Torna Golden Country (XC2 DLC)
SMT Strange Journey Redux
Fist of The north star Lost Paradise
Ni no Kuni II

NONE of them disappoint me, 2018 was god damn great year for me.

AlexxKidd

Just like I said last thread about this from all the games I played this year:

Dragon Quest XI
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Octopath Traveler
God of War
Torna Golden Country (XC2 DLC)
SMT Strange Journey Redux
Fist of The north star Lost Paradise
Ni no Kuni II

NONE of them disappoint me, 2018 was god damn great year for me.

I cant believe you werent dissapointed by NNK2, that game is hot ass. By the book, predictable trope if ever I seen it. The others on your list that I played delivered.

For myself I have to say the Secret of Mana remake let me down. Im from the old school so thats a game I played growing up. Wasnt expecting a FF7R budget or anything but they could have done a lot better than what they did.

Also Shadow of the Tomb Raider. After people were down on Rise I was hoping they'd come back with more of what made 2013 TR great, instead they made the worst entry in the reboot.

Honorable mention to RDR2's controls/sluggishness. They are shit and Rockstar did their damnest to ruin an otherwise great game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I cant believe you werent dissapointed by NNK2, that game is hot ass. By the book, predictable trope if ever I seen it. The others on your list that I played delivered.
Sure NNK2 story wasn't anything specially but I really enjoyed combat even it was on easy side when it first came out and visuals design was sooo god damn gorgeous. I enjoyed the first game as well but I was not really fan of the combat and friendly AI were really dumb and frustrating in boss battles.

Mokus

Red Dead Redemption 2. I was expecting something fun on the level of the first RDR and GTA V, but I got a game that has a butchered gameplay trying way to hard to be realistic.

Last edited:
I thought mine would have been fallout for sure but the more I'm sat thinking I think they have really ruined the battlefield experience.

It's all patchable stuff, but right now I'd rather be playing fallout then battlefield and I really didn't expect that

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
Red Dead Redemption 2

a game advertised about being outlaws in the wild west, instead its a game of you babysitting a community of old folks, women, and child.

and why was dueling removed?

Last edited:

KonradLaw

Fallout 76 has it in the bag. I wasn't expecting it to be great, but I never imagined what a diseaster it would end up being.
The most painful for me is Jagged Alliance: Rage though. It's crappy buggy game. It's the third failed attempt at ressurecting this classic IP and that's not counting the canceled ones. What's more..I really thought this time it would work, because last year THQ Nordic did very well with ressurecting Spellforce

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Sea of Thieves is amazing though? The only way it’s bad is if you expected it takes have single player and it didn’t. Or have no friends.

You can’t play the game with friends and NOT laugh.

a game advertised about being outlaws in the wild west, instead its a game of you babysitting a community of old folks, women, and child.

+1 for this. The game was just so tedious and boring to play. Glad I bought a physical copy so I was able to sell it after 3 weeks.

I don't remember RDR1 being like this. Am I just seeing it through rose tinted glasses, or was RDR1 a much better game?

Halo0629

Don't know why dynasty warriors is in there since it has never changed its formula and never been really good for a long2x time now.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Sadly my vote would go to Ni No Kuni 2.
Although the look and gameplay was superb, the presentation of the story was so boring. Missing voice over gave the whole game such a terrible "Meh, what you're seeing right now isn't that important" vibe.
For me the biggest disappointment by far.

Red dead 2 (glorified conversation simulator) and Shadow of the tomb raider (hiding from piranhas in the shrubbery oh my) were the most disappointing for me. Mainly because I was really looking forward to both as I loved their previous entries. Tomb raider has some of the most baffling design decisions I've seen in recent memory, and the writing was horrendous.

TeamGhobad

Banned
+1 for this. The game was just so tedious and boring to play. Glad I bought a physical copy so I was able to sell it after 3 weeks.

I don't remember RDR1 being like this. Am I just seeing it through rose tinted glasses, or was RDR1 a much better game?

R1 was by far a better game, it had this mystery element of who is John why does he want revenge on the guys he's after and what is he after. dueling was awesome had many encounters like that. and the gameplay for its time was good. this is the same gameplay 1.5 generations later.

Klondyke

Banned
What the flying fuck?

If anything Rdr2 should have doubled down on the simulator elements. It was pretty much a perfect release.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
My vote goes to Salt and Sanctuary. Uninspired 2D-clone of Dark Souls with a horrible artstyle and several technical issues.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Why garbage game like Batlefield V and BLOPS IIII didn't make the list?

Red Dead Redemption 2 is way too good to be here, people being hyperbolic as usual

WaterAstro

3 Microsoft studios on that list. Sounds about right.
I wouldn't count We Happy Few as Microsoft, since it was done prior to the acquisition.

I would think Fallout would rank #1, but I guess Sea of Thieves was more anticipated since Fallout 76 felt like a disaster since it was announced.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Don't know why dynasty warriors is in there since it has never changed its formula and never been really good for a long2x time now.
Because it was to be a grand new release with touted complete ambitious system overhauls like going open world or whatever. It ended up disliked even by people who enjoyed the previous Warriors games. Just look at the Steam reviews, DW8 XL CE is at Very Positive (4,475 - 80% positive) and DW9 is at Mostly Negative (5,616 - 22% positive). Clearly something changed and many disagree with your "long2x time".

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

Why garbage game like Batlefield V and BLOPS IIII didn't make the list?

Red Dead Redemption 2 is way too good to be here, people being hyperbolic as usual

No hyperboly at all. No one is asking for the worst game of the year, theyre asking for the most dissappointing. I can both admit RDR2 is a good game yet also dissappointing. If a game is dissapointing it means you had high hopes and expextations for it and were let down. I'm still making my way through RDR2, nearing the end, but I should have finished it already. The only reason i havent is because it is NOT a joy to play. Somewhere along the line when they were designing horse balls Rockstar forgot to give the same attention to gameplay.

Nobody was too keen on fallout 76 before release so I don't really think it can be called disappointing. It might have been much worse than anticipated but I really don't think anyone wanted that game to begin with.

MilkyJoe

I'd go with Red Dead redemption 2, most disappointing of the generation.

Sea of Thieves is fantastic now. Was shite at launch.

Makariel

I've not played a single game that would have disappointed me this year. 2018 was great and with my first step into VR it is still getting better!

marcincz

Just like wrote last time in other thread.
Far Cry 5
Huge disappointed for me. Especially story or rather lack of it.

Halo0629

Because it was to be a grand new release with touted complete ambitious system overhauls like going open world or whatever. It ended up disliked even by people who enjoyed the previous Warriors games. Just look at the Steam reviews, DW8 XL CE is at Very Positive (4,475 - 80% positive) and DW9 is at Mostly Negative (5,616 - 22% positive). Clearly something changed and many disagree with your "long2x time".
Dynasty Warriors 8 XL CE is 69 on meta bro just sayin. So yeah the series has been pretty mediocre for a long2x while.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
SC6 was on par with SFV launch too. Disservice to such a big FG franchise.

DB Fighters and Cross Tag battle are not the kind of games that made Arcsys respected in FG either

MvC as well

Only Fighting Layer EX, made by a bunch of veterans, shamed the current crop of fighters

hargwood

Banned
Red Dead Redemption 2. I hate the camp system, I hated the fact that Arthur was sick for like 40% of the game and i'd randomly start coughing or fall of my horse or blackout. Shooting mechanics still janky and a pretty linear cookie cutter story.

The online is a mess. Just copy paste the map and remove all the substance. Oh yeah lets also only support 32 players in 2018 so the map feels dead. Then add a pay to win system more egregious than GTAV after people have already paid $70-100 dollars for your game.

Graphics, sound design and voice acting all on point. Props to the teams in charge of these aspects.

Still an ok game but I wont be day one for any of their future titles.

Papa

Banned
Red Dead Redemption 2. I hate the camp system, I hated the fact that Arthur was sick for like 40% of the game and i'd randomly start coughing or fall of my horse or blackout. Shooting mechanics still janky and a pretty linear cookie cutter story.

The online is a mess. Just copy paste the map and remove all the substance. Oh yeah lets also only support 32 players in 2018 so the map feels dead. Then add a pay to win system more egregious than GTAV after people have already paid $70-100 dollars for your game.

Graphics, sound design and voice acting all on point. Props to the teams in charge of these aspects.

Still an ok game but I wont be day one for any of their future titles.

Lol wat

Did you forget to eat?

Top Bottom