• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Disappointing Games of 2018

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
We did this thread a few weeks back, and to anyone that was curious, RDR2 and Farcry 5 were ahead by miles.

3. Far Cry 5: The setting and tone were not what I expected. In terms of story, the game falls from a cliff after the superb intro scene. The villains are forgettable, like every other character in the game, including the protagonist. Gameplay is good, though.

2. Ni No Kuni II: Another game I enjoyed the intro, but lost interest quickly afterward. The lack of challenge and the generic story made me lose interest very fast.

1. Underworld Ascendant: The dream-game made by TLG veterans end up being a complete mess. It has huge design flaws and it's nothing like the crowdfunding pitch. Not even a "No Man's Sky miracle" can save it now.

klosos

Ni No Kuni 2 stands out this year as the most disappointing , i love the art style so much how ever the everything else was horrendous , the difficulty is laughable same as the story.

I was so annoyed i dint pick up Dragon Quest 11 because i didn't wanna play another disappointing JRPG , however i have been told its much better the NNK2 so i might grab DQ11 around Xmas.

hargwood

Banned
Lol wat

Did you forget to eat?

The game limits how much you can eat when you're sick as well. Another stupid addition.

Wasn't a fan of God of War either. Getting too old for this shit. Spending more time working and at the gym than on videogames nowadays. Being a grown up and responsible human being sucks ass and modern games don't give me a good enough escape.

I don't have a game of the year for 2018. They were all either meh or complete trash like Fallout 76 and Battlefield V.

I've actually played mobile games more than Console or PC this year....

Flapples

This year has been really bad gaming wise for me, could only afford like 2 AAA's. EA actually makes me glad i cant afford to jump on a hype wagon after the travesty that is Genderfield V, i remember a video saying that the game wasnt made for consumers and was made to appeal to social justice games journalists, which seem to make up a large majority of games journalists for some reason?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Didn't know Jurassic World Evolution was shitty. thought it was received to be slightly above average

It wasn't bad. Great graphics and fun at first. It just got tedious and lacked variety in after the first 2-3 islands.

All of them? I only bought 32 games this year (and only won 6) - record low by a WIDE margin (last year, I bought 133 games, won 22). For the first time since I started keeping track of my video game purchases (2007) I had a month in which I purchased no video games at all (April), and it is seeming like December might be my second.

I've been happy with relatively few purchases this year (DQ12, MHGU, Nights of Azure 2, Alliance Alive, Astro Bot) and been happy but also disappointed about a few more (Conan Exiles on PS4 for censorship, Hitman 2 for always online, Dynasty Warriors 9 for being like 80% amazing, 20% total crap, MonHun World, Atelier Lydie and Suelle, Muv-Luv which I was enjoying but couldn't make it through the 800 hour lacrosse section). Everything else, I sort of feel like I would've been just as happy had I not bought or played them - and I'm a video game collector. That thought is offensive to me. And yet here we are.

AlexxKidd

All of them? I only bought 32 games this year (and only won 6) - record low by a WIDE margin (last year, I bought 133 games, won 22). For the first time since I started keeping track of my video game purchases (2007) I had a month in which I purchased no video games at all (April), and it is seeming like December might be my second.

I've been happy with relatively few purchases this year (DQ12, MHGU, Nights of Azure 2, Alliance Alive, Astro Bot) and been happy but also disappointed about a few more (Conan Exiles on PS4 for censorship, Hitman 2 for always online, Dynasty Warriors 9 for being like 80% amazing, 20% total crap, MonHun World, Atelier Lydie and Suelle, Muv-Luv which I was enjoying but couldn't make it through the 800 hour lacrosse section). Everything else, I sort of feel like I would've been just as happy had I not bought or played them - and I'm a video game collector. That thought is offensive to me. And yet here we are.

Apropos of nothing but, how are you "winning" 22 games?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
We did this thread a few weeks back, and to anyone that was curious, RDR2 and Farcry 5 were ahead by miles.

yes they were. On RDR2 showing up - I would attribute that to so many people playing it and the extended hype.

far cry 5 though -that must have had real issues. I did not buy it.

Apropos of nothing but, how are you "winning" 22 games?
By playing them :)

Do you mean what I count as winning or where I find the time to win 22 games? Well, I count winning as completing the core section of the game and reaching the end credits. Like I consider winning the story mode of Fire Emblem Warriors as winning, despite it only taking 12 hours and playing the game for another 50 hours in history mode.

As for finding the time, it took me 603 hours to win those 22 games, which is less than 2 hours a day of playing. Of course, I play a lot of games I didn't win, so it is probably closer to 3 hours a day overall. I don't watch tv, and in my family, gaming is considered family time. My youngest daughter is as big a gamer as me, and I play games like Monster Hunter and Fornite with my wife and kids. Even something like Breath of the Wild, one person will play while everybody else tells them how to play (drives me nuts). Only horror games and adult games do I play after the kids have gone to bed, and progress is really slow on those.

REM2000

Neo Member
I hope it doesn’t appear to be just flame bait but I would have to say red dead 2 for me too.

For me personally I didn’t like it, I was really excited for the release and am a massive fan of the first one. However when playing it just wasn’t any fun. It felt more like work, I’m not a MMORPG fan and the game felt like an MMORPG, I didn’t like having to balance all the cores I just wanted to go around shooting things mindlessly similar to GTA. I love the GTA and Red dead 1 missions but red dead 2 just felt a chore getting through them so I gave it up.

AlexxKidd

By playing them :)

Do you mean what I count as winning or where I find the time to win 22 games? Well, I count winning as completing the core section of the game and reaching the end credits. Like I consider winning the story mode of Fire Emblem Warriors as winning, despite it only taking 12 hours and playing the game for another 50 hours in history mode.

As for finding the time, it took me 603 hours to win those 22 games, which is less than 2 hours a day of playing. Of course, I play a lot of games I didn't win, so it is probably closer to 3 hours a day overall. I don't watch tv, and in my family, gaming is considered family time. My youngest daughter is as big a gamer as me, and I play games like Monster Hunter and Fornite with my wife and kids. Even something like Breath of the Wild, one person will play while everybody else tells them how to play (drives me nuts). Only horror games and adult games do I play after the kids have gone to bed, and progress is really slow on those.

Ahh, I get you, it seems there are some language colloquial issues. I take it you are not from the US? I read you were "winning" games as if you entered some type of contest and won 22 free games lol. In America for what you're describing we generally say I "beat" 22 games for slang, or the self-explanatory "finished" or "completed" as more formal.

Oh boy do I agree with Sea of Thieves being a total scam.

Ni no kuni II and Dragon Quest XI deserved a spot there IMO. Can a game get so easy and generic that it loses all appeal? Sure did for me.

Sea of Thieves is amazing though? The only way it’s bad is if you expected it takes have single player and it didn’t. Or have no friends.

You can’t play the game with friends and NOT laugh.

I feel like every game is better/fun with friends though. I feel like what I got at launch was just very shallow, personally

Ahh, I get you, it seems there are some language colloquial issues. I take it you are not from the US? I read you were "winning" games as if you entered some type of contest and won 22 free games lol. In America for what you're describing we generally say I "beat" 22 games for slang, or the self-explanatory "finished" or "completed" as more formal.
No, I'm from the US, and me do English good with brain. I don't think the terminology "winning games" meaning "to complete games" is particularly uncommon. Am I just getting old?

Nymphae

Banned
No, I'm from the US, and me do English good with brain. I don't think the terminology "winning games" meaning "to complete games" is particularly uncommon. Am I just getting old?

I think that is uncommon. You would generally use "win" when talking about a competitive game. I didn't "win" red dead 2, I beat it. I completed it, I finished it. But I won several matches of Street Fighter last night.

I think that is uncommon. You would generally use "win" when talking about a competitive game. I didn't "win" red dead 2, I beat it. I completed it, I finished it. But I won several matches of Street Fighter last night.
I think you people are nuts. Games provide a series of obstacles to overcome, and in doing so, you win the game. Like winning a game of Solitaire. Of course, maybe this is a holdover from a time when games actually provided obstacles to victory and not this crap where it is 90% cutscenes and quick time events, and everybody just watches some moron on Twitch play the games for them.

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah idk, I have never heard "I won GTA last night", it's nearly always "beat" or "finished" when referring to single player content.

Last edited:

Belmonte

Underworld Ascendant for me too. But I was expecting a bad release since some of the dev updates were already worrying.

AlexxKidd

I think you people are nuts. Games provide a series of obstacles to overcome, and in doing so, you win the game. Like winning a game of Solitaire. Of course, maybe this is a holdover from a time when games actually provided obstacles to victory and not this crap where it is 90% cutscenes and quick time events, and everybody just watches some moron on Twitch play the games for them.

I'm almost 40 years old. I come from the old school. Nobody ever said "I won Ninja Gaiden" or "I won Contra." Beat, finished, completed.

Sea of Thieves has been supported by Rare quite nicely with some decent updates, the mechanics of the game, especially sailing and even just in a ship on your own is actually pretty sweet. I don't think it deserved top spot, Fallout 76 should have definitely first on this list.

Calibos

Overhyped and under delivered is how I would describe Sea of Thieves and State of Decay at launch...but today, still in 2018, these two games are pretty damn great. Sea of Thieves got a ton of updates and content and State of Decay also recieved a shitload of performance and bug fixes along with some pretty great content.

It sucks that they were rough at launch, but they don't deserve to be on this list IMO at this point in 2018...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sea of Thieves has been supported by Rare quite nicely with some decent updates, the mechanics of the game, especially sailing and even just in a ship on your own is actually pretty sweet. I don't think it deserved top spot, Fallout 76 should have definitely first on this list.
Is Fallout 76 can really be considered "disappointing"? This game is made by Bethesda which a developers that even themselves make fun about how buggy and broken their games is and decided to make Fallout online only game which will bring its own set of bugs on top of usual Bethesda's own bugs. This game already set to be broken as fuck, Did anybody really except this to be proper working game?

Is Fallout 76 can really be considered "disappointing"? This game is made by Bethesda which a developers that even themselves make fun about how buggy and broken their games is and decided to make Fallout online only game which will bring its own set of bugs on top of usual Bethesda's own bugs. This game already set to be broken as fuck, Did anybody really except this to be proper working game?
True enough and from that perspective I get what you're saying but its leagues of difference between what was promised vs. delivered, beyond their usual disappointment.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
1. State of Decay 2
Easily a decline from the first game for me personally. No need for three maps. Enemies are all the same. Character models look bad. Non-existent story and narrative. Quit after 15 hours. With Microsoft now owning Undead Labs, State of Decay 3 better look and play better than what Days Gone will be next April. If not, I won't even waste my time.

2. Far Cry 5
100% completed the game but it was a huge disappointment. I miss what Far Cry 3/4/Primal was. No hunting or skinning of animals. Shitty character creation in general and narrative wise due to being a silent protagonist. You can't have a great story if the protagonist doesn't say a single fucking word. Boring open world activities. Can't drive on the main roads due to getting spotted every five minutes due to the game being developed as a pure co-op game as opposed to Far Cry 4 where co-op was truly optional. Guns for Hire sucks because it just magnifies that the game is meant to be played in co-op instead of solo. At best, a 7.0/10 for me which ended my 9.0/10 streak for Far Cry 3/4/Primal. And even worse, New Dawn is exactly the same fucking shit. Wish they would go back to the old formula because unlike AC, changing it hasn't worked in Far Cry, at least to me anyway.

I'm almost 40 years old. I come from the old school. Nobody ever said "I won Ninja Gaiden" or "I won Contra." Beat, finished, completed.
You were starting to make me think that I was from the Berenstein Bears universe, but nah. Found lots of people using it that way. “I’ve won NetHack several times in the past”. “How to win Super Mario Bros in 5 minutes”. “How to win Dark Souls”. “How the West Was Won”. “Wonton Soup Recipe”. There’s even a Steam game called “You Have to Win the Game”. If you can lose a game, you must be able to win it - and you can’t win if you don’t play.

Starman_opt.jpg

So, Mandela Effect averted. You win video games. And now that I’ve won the argument, you could say that I’m bi-winning. Winner, winner, chicken dinner even. And most of all, remember:

Winners_Dont_Use_Drugs.png

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You were starting to make me think that I was from the Berenstein Bears universe, but nah. Found lots of people using it that way. “I’ve won NetHack several times in the past”. “How to win Super Mario Bros in 5 minutes”. “How to win Dark Souls”. “How the West Was Won”. “Wonton Soup Recipe”. There’s even a Steam game called “You Have to Win the Game”. If you can lose a game, you must be able to win it - and you can’t win if you don’t play.

I say beat or complete, but I've heard people say win. I've also heard people refer to levels as boards and lives as 1-ups or replays. Depends where you're from and how old you are I guess!

Didn't play any of those gsmes.

Everything I've played this year has been great... well besides ufc 3. EA insists on releasing these games missing so many things and full of bugs and balancing issues to have to patch 15 times post launch.

kyussman

I'd probably go with Far Cry 5,I mean I got exactly what I expected....another Far Cry,but the setting of the US was unispired(no offence my american cousins).

I think Far Cry works best in a more exotic setting,and the game design formula they've used from 3 onward is really feeling old now.

Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 were the most disappointing of 2018 for me.

Fallout 76 I was expecting it to be bad from the announcement. So not suprised

Alasterion

Neo Member
Yay, Sea of Thieves above F76 as the most disappointing... A very reliable list...

People, when they're doing these list, should write: 'from my most bias pov'.

The fact is, though SoT began as a partial constructed, non-completed game, with an arguably lack of content... Is a good experience right now, that doesn't deserve the way is mistreated.

BANGS

Banned
My biggest disappointment has to be DBFighterZ... The actual gameplay is decent but nothing spectacular, and it's all destroyed by one of worst single player modes for a traditional 2D fighter I've ever seen... Also I grossly overpaid for it thanks to the Nintendo tax...

Red Dead Redemption 2 for me.

(yes, I know I already said so on the first page, but I feel it was that much of a disappointment that I'd list it again).

Top Bottom