• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most overrated developer?

koam

Silicon Knights takes the cake for me. Eternal Darkness was a repetitive borefest. Metal Gear Solid: TTS was alright, could have been better but i'm suspecting much input from konami and nintendo on that one. I don't know about their pre ED stuff.

Don't understand topics like these. And before you say anything, if you have a right to bitch about developers you don't like, I think I have a right to bitch about topics I don't like.

iclash

Dude, Electronic Arts for every Madden, they put out a ton of crappy games (Catwoman or Goldeneye2 anyone?).

Tarazet

Square. Of course, they weren't always overrated. The high rating was merited, back in the distant past.

DMczaf

iclash said:
Dude, Electronic Arts for every Madden, they put out a ton of crappy games (Catwoman or Goldeneye2 anyone?).

Problem is EA is not a developer, EA is a publisher.

Catwoman was made by Argonaut Games (now known as EA UK)

Goldeneye Rogue Agent was made by EA LA

I found it funny that EA bought Argonaut after Catwoman though :lol

koam

RE4 vs. SH4 said:
Don't understand topics like these. And before you say anything, if you have a right to bitch about developers you don't like, I think I have a right to bitch about topics I don't like.

I don't like topics like your nickname suggests :p

Gattsu25

Banned
Team Ninja is more of a 1-hit wonder than Rockstar is, in my eyes

Red Dead Revolver, Midnight Club 2&3, and the GTA series
versus
Ninja Gaiden

Who do I think is the most overrated, though? Starbreeze? not quiet

hmm....

Squeenix

I love their games but damn...the pacing of their output is pathetic

VALIS

CAPCOM

<cue thunderclap>

Oh, they put out good games now and then. And run them into the ground with a dozen mediocre sequels.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'd say Square. Their best was on the SNES. Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG. They were on a fuckin roll. Now, nowhere near it. Rockstar, I don't think that they deserve the 1 hit wonder title. Midnight Clubs are good, but GTA is nowhere near the acclaim it gets.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Dunno. Seems everyone I would have called overrated has already been taken down a peg or two. BioWare, Rare, Team Ninja...

I'd say Sega, but their ship long since sailed away.

Timo

VALIS said:
EA are highly regarded by who exactly? Outside of Madden, that is.

they don't deserve anything, and they are the ruiner of dreams.

ea is highly regarded by everyone thats not really all that into games, but plays. casual gamers we like to call them. they seem to get way too much press at all times for no good reason.

Define overrated?

If you mean developers who still get tons of attention and media hype without delivering on their promises, how about:

3DRealms
Lionhead
Rare

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

This forum is such a japophilic orgy, have people that put down Bioware even played Baldur’s Gate 1 &2?

sangreal

Do The Mario said:

This forum is such a japophilic orgy, have people that put down Bioware even played Baldur’s Gate 1 &2?

BG1 and BG2 are the reason I have to say Bioware.

Do The Mario said:

The argument is probably that their games have been declining in quality ever since the Baldur's Gate games, though I still think Jade Empire and KotOR especially are fantastic games. Can't please everyone, though.

What's strange is the ones who "overrate" BioWare are probably the ones who haven't even played the BG games. At least it seems that way to me. They're still my favorite developer, though.

Rare. DK Country put them on the map, GoldenEye made them immortal. But what after that? Perfect Dark was great ideas held back by technology, but since it has all been downhill. Conker is more just for the comedy, but as a game it is merely ok.

I think most overrated has to be Rockstar. I appreciate what they have done for the industry with the "sandbox" type game, but I think the GTA series is WAAAAAAAAAAAY overrated. If it didnt have the drugs, sex, language, and violence, probably only 10% of the people who play it now would play it. I am very curious to see what they can pull off outside of GTA or going for the ultra violence.

Now, in defense of some others.

Team Ninja. Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden were awesome. They havent branched out much from there, but there will be soon. I love them, but they arent worshipped enough to be overrated.

Starbreeze? Again, not enough done or enough unbiased love to be considered overrated.

I think to be considered overrated it should be a developer that sells games on their name alone and have almost universal praise and blind admiration. Developers that fall into that are Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, Rockstar, EA(i know they are a publisher, but how often do you hear them giving props to the developers?), Rare, Bungie, iD, Blizzard, Valve, Kojima(or whatever his studio is called).

BRVolition said:
The argument is probably that their games have been declining in quality ever since the Baldur's Gate games, though I still think Jade Empire and KotOR especially are fantastic games. Can't please everyone, though.

What's strange is the ones who "overrate" BioWare are probably the ones who haven't even played the BG games. At least it seems that way to me. They're still my favorite developer, though.

Or the people that think Baldur's Gate began with the dark alliance games and have not discovered how great the original PC Baldur's Gate games were.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Do The Mario said:

No, it's just something that you can observe over time. Threads like this have loyalty undertones. It's funny watching at times. In my case, people might look at my Square accusation and say what's up with that. I play their games for the story, the gameplay boat with them shipped a long time ago. I really can't stomach turn-based RPG's anymore. Grandia's get copped too because of their battle system and FF's for the story. I had way more fun with Kingdom Hearts over their FF offerings this gen. I'm way more enthusiastic about the X360 than the others. The difference? I'm getting all systems, like I always do.

Top Bottom